Great Umbrella Stroller - even if you are tall

pezheadval

Mouseketeer
I have been looking for good umbrella stroller that was easy for tall parents to push. Well, I found one! Its much pricier then the typical umbrella stroller, but its really great. We wanted to get something that wasn’t as big as her other, full-sized stroller since that one is so heavy, takes of lots of room and really isn’t the easy to push. We tried out the Volo stroller by Maclaren and it is awesome! It has nice tall handles, easy for a tall parent to push without bending over or kicking the wheels the whole time. It also is real sturdy and has plenty of room (and my dd is big for her age – 2 years old – 34 lbs. almost 37 inches tall). We are really happy with how easy it is to use and dd loves it, too. I can't wait to try this one out at Disney World! It should be much easier then that big thing. Just thought I’d spread the word incase anyone else is looking for something similar.

www.maclarenbaby.com/pages/volo.html

~ Valerie ~

I love Maclaren and I agree that the Volo is a good looking stroller, but I passed on it because it has no hood or basket (has that changed?). Nevertheless, I'm sure you'll get good use out of it at the parks. I just picked up a Graco Kite Lite Stroller on sale at Babies R Us for $29.99. I like the big basket and large hood (it's much better than my old Maclaren Concorde LX).

The maclaren site says:

Accessory pack with sun canopy, seat liner, rain cover and storage bag sold separately

so I guess it can be purchased separately--I wonder what that would all cost?

DeeCeeSW-does the KiteLite Rider have a back axle that goes straight across or does it fold like an umbrella stroller?

i have a mac daytripper and used it in wdw in january. they are a step up from the volo, and they have a basket and hood.

daytrippers are discontinued (2002 was the last year)but you can get them on ebay for about $100.

i LOVE this stroller, macs steer the absolute best!

The Graco Kite Lite (Model L6834) folds down--you pull up two gliding levers on the front sides of the stroller and push down on the top. It is not as compact as my Maclaren, but it weighs only 12 pounds.

I have only used the Graco stroller once (just bought it last Sat.). I bought this one because it seems sturdier than your average umbrella stroller (excluding Maclaren) and I wanted something cheap so that the airline workers could toss it around without upsetting me too much, LOL. Maclarens are expensive, and it would burn me whenever I saw them throw mine on a heap!!!!!

DeeCee-thanks for the info. I, too, own a MacLaren and had to replace it after it was taken while we were at WDW right outside Splash Mt. It showed me that even though something like that is rare in WDW, it can still happen and loosing a $30 stroller wouldn't have hurt as much!

The Volo is a great little stroller! I have one too with the accessory pack (which, BTW, runs about $50). However, I opted not to take it to Disney since it doesn't offer a recline and I'm really hoping my DDs (20 mos and 35 mos) will nap in their strollers. We're staying offsite so therefore won't be using the buses. I think I might consider it further if I were staying onsite. The carry strap and lightweight of it would be a real asset. BTW, there are a few Volos with the accessory packs available on EBay right now.
Enjoy!

Jo

I just purchased a Mac triumph (it replaced the Daytripper in 2003). It is very much like the volo with the accessory pack, but it reclines, has a canopy and a basket. It's really light and comfortable for DD. I bought specifically for our trip to WDW, but after reading posts about lossing strollers I'm kind of afraid. Does this happen often? :eek:

if the height of the person pushing the stroller is an issue, you can always purchse extension handles that attach right onto the stoller. i ordered them from one step ahead.
my husband loved them because he didn't hurt his back hunching over all the time and we had many dads at wdw asking where we had gotten them!

I wasn't too concerned with it not reclining, since my daughter rarely naps. I was considering the accessory pack, but not sure if we would need that.

We also did look around for extension handles but when we found the Volo, we decided to just get that.

However, I am concerned about someone taking it. We have never had any problems in the past with our other stroller (Graco Sterling LiteRider), but we also brought a bike lock and used that. We were thinking that with the Volo, we would fold it up and bring it in places if we could, otherwise use the bike lock again. I am also wondering how many others have had their strollers taken.

~ Valerie ~

Sorry if I scared off anyone about taking their stroller to WDW. I know that my incident was pretty rare, I don't know if I can even think of more than 1 other person who has ever posted that their personal (not park stroller) was taken. We left it in stroller parking near Splash and when we returned (about 15 minutes later) it was gone. We did have it marked with our name on the underside in permanent parker so they must have known it was ours. Plus it had out name on a luggage tag on the handle so I'm sure it was not an accident. I reported it right away and checked with Lost & Found throughout the trip but no one returned it to the parks or the TTC.

As I said, it seems very rare that someone would take a stroller. The next trip we bought a Combi Travel Savvy in black and bright orange and no one touched it--probably because it was so distinctive and would be recognized immediately.

After the stroller was taken we had some great experiences with the CMs and such. They allowed us to get a free rental that day and also the next time we returned to the MK. Another day we rented at Epcot and that CM said--oh you guys had a stroller stolen, right and allowed us to rent there for free as well. It was very nice and not at all expected.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't scare anyone off from taking a stroller that they wanted for their trip. I think it rarely happens but I definitely wouldn't have been so mad if it was a cheaper stroller or one that wasn't perfect for DS.

HTH!

We also have a tall 2 year old and didn't want to take our full size stroller back to WDW this summer (less room in van because MIL is coming).

We wanted an umbrella stroller that had a canopy which was tall enough for our DD. We also needed something with handles tall enough so it was comfortable for my 6'4" husband to push it! Most of the standard umbrella stroller are so tiny and short.

We found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...8451144/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-1715632-3470361

It does recline slightly and it even comes with a plastic cover for the rain!

Babies R Us sells it for 49.99 but if anyone has a Burlington Coat Factory nearby, they sell it for only $38.00!

Teresa

Teresa,
We tried out that Caddy Stroller and it is also nice. Nice tall handles, lighweight, reclines and not a bad price. But my daughter couldn't comfortably use the footrest and I really like having the roomy basket underneath, so we went with the Maclaren Volo. But, that Caddy Stroller is also a nice one.

~ Valerie ~

Originally posted by crazywig
i have a mac daytripper and used it in wdw in january. they are a step up from the volo, and they have a basket and hood.

daytrippers are discontinued (2002 was the last year)but you can get them on ebay for about $100.

i LOVE this stroller, macs steer the absolute best!
I just bought the Maclaren Daytripper from Babies R Us last month and love it! They had the 2002 version and a new 2003 version in different colors. It really is great and comes with everythig you listed including a rainguard.

For all you Maclaren fans - the daytripper is really cheap in the UK, it sells for £40 which is I think around $60.
Click here to see

i've no idea what the postage to the USA would be, but UK to USA postage tends to be cheaper than the reverse. It might be worth contacting Kiddicare (who are an excellent company), or another UK supplier and seeing if they can send you one over

Bev

Originally posted by maps
if the height of the person pushing the stroller is an issue, you can always purchse extension handles that attach right onto the stoller. i ordered them from one step ahead.
my husband loved them because he didn't hurt his back hunching over all the time and we had many dads at wdw asking where we had gotten them!

Wow, thanks for that tip! I didn't know they made such a thing. My DH is 6'4" and has trouble with our strollers. I'm definitely ordering these. BTW, for anyone else interested they sell for $14.95.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter