"Greedflation" at Disney?

I mean, if I go to a random restaurant most alcoholic drinks will be $12-$20. So I'm unsure why at Disney they would be cheaper.
Where do you live that has $20 alcoholic drinks? I mainly go to Asian restaurants whenever I go out to eat and have never seen a drink over $12.

A lot of chain places yeah. I was looking at our local Chinese restaurant, which has the best drinks around (I don't even really like Chinese food, I go because their drinks are great) and most are $8.90. A scorpion bowl for two is $14.60.

I much prefer alcohol prices in Spain. I can get a sangria for 3 euro and they give me free food with it.
I remember buying 2 whole gallons of sangria and one of beer for like 40 euros with some friends. Good times.

I don't drink at restaurants for this exact reason hahha. For a bit more I can buy a whole bottle :rotfl: . But the price holds true for all the cities I frequent in USA and Canada, so when I go to Disney and want to have a drink at Trader's Sam I do cause it's a special occasion. I find food and drinks in general at Disney to be pretty on par with local restaurants. Even snacks are similarly price when buying something at a mall for example.
I'm the same way with drinks..id rather go buy the bottle and drink it at home. vacation, different story!

The menu below is from a restaurant we frequent in my neck of the woods

SEASONAL DRINKS

DON'T FORGET...OUR FAMOUS SANGRIA IS AVAILABLE TO GO! $14/EACH

STOCKHOLDERS FAMOUS RED OR WHITE SANGRIA

Our Special House Recipe
8 pops

WATERMELON MARTINI

Absolut Watermelon Vodka, Cold-Pressed Watermelon Juice, Lime, Simple Syrup

HONEY LEMON 75

Gray Whale Gin, Fresh Lemon Juice, Local Honey Syrup, Topped with Prosecco

MEXICAN MULE

House-Infused Pineapple Olmeca Altos Plata Tequila, Fresh Lime, Topped with Ginger Beer

RUM SWIZZLE

Ron Zacapa Guatemalan Rum, Pineapple, Orange, Lemon, Ginger Beer, Mount Gay Float

NAKED COSMO

Absolut Elyx Premium Vodka, Combier Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice, White Cranberry Juice
8 pops

GRAPEFRUIT APEROL SPRITZ

Ketel One Grapefruit Rose Vodka, Aperol, Sparkling Rose

STRAWBERRY CUCUMBER JALAPENO MARGARITA

21 Seeds Cucumber Jalapeno Tequila, Triple Sec, Strawberry Puree, Agave, Lime Juice

PEACH BLUEBERRY MOJITO

Malibu Peach, Muddled Blueberries, Fresh Mint, Simple Syrup, Lime, Soda

BOURBON POMEGRANATE LEMONADE

Bulleit Bourbon, Pomegranate Liqueur, Lemon, Starlino Cherries
goodness! yeah, i dont drink much when i go out to dinner, because well, 2 preteen boys, my bill is already getting out of control!

i will say that i went out to dinner with family the other night, and they had a special, $1 for water, i mean Miller, Coors, and Bud Light. I dont remember it being that cheap in college.

goodness! yeah, i dont drink much when i go out to dinner, because well, 2 preteen boys, my bill is already getting out of control!

i will say that i went out to dinner with family the other night, and they had a special, $1 for water, i mean Miller, Coors, and Bud Light. I dont remember it being that cheap in college.
the best we do around here is $3 draft, and happy hour is band here so we are just screwed endlessly

Fairly big cities! I admit I don't really go to Asian restaurants so maybe that's where the cheap drinks are haha.
You can get an entire bottle of soju for about $10-12 at restaurants near me. If a Korean place opened at Disney, that same bottle would be like $25 guaranteed.

A quick perusal of recent news articles from sources ranging from kook left to kook right and foreign media suggest price is indeed a primary motivator behind decreasing traffic at Disney parks.
Also mentioned were the heat, competition and political battles.
There are also articles on the increasing complexity of having an enjoyable and productive visit.
So these aren't some far out conspiracy theories, Disney has not made the best attempt possible at weathering economic turmoil in a post covid world.

Where do you live that has $20 alcoholic drinks? I mainly go to Asian restaurants whenever I go out to eat and have never seen a drink over $12.

Philadelphia area. South Jersey. Atlantic City.

Went out a few weeks ago. Got an appetizer for $20, 2 Old fashioneds and a lemon drop martini. We ordered the drinks without knowing the prices. The bill was $79.

I personally don’t think Disney prices are completely outrageous but for the quality of the food it can be. I don’t mind paying more money for good food or drinks but that’s not usually the case at Disney.

I suspect repeat visitors aren't returning like they would ordinarily (or at all), not wanting to wade through all the bulls#*t necessary to plan and execute a less "magical" trip that's costing an arm and a leg. I'll bet bad word-of-mouth about that is having an impact as well. That's certainly true in my case, and I've been going since 1974. I'm using my DVC points at Aulani, and am planning my first Tokyo Disneyland trip for next May. The new Poly DVC might tempt me back, but that won't be until late-2024 at the earliest.

A quick perusal of recent news articles from sources ranging from kook left to kook right and foreign media suggest price is indeed a primary motivator behind decreasing traffic at Disney parks.
Also mentioned were the heat, competition and political battles.
There are also articles on the increasing complexity of having an enjoyable and productive visit.
So these aren't some far out conspiracy theories, Disney has not made the best attempt possible at weathering economic turmoil in a post covid world.
I would love to know what they are basing their assertions on, since Disney hasn't even had an earnings call since traffic started dropping, it's all just guess work which is what everyone on these boards is doing. It has a better chance of being a myriad of things rather than just one major one.

Business is complex, and people don't like complexity so they manufacture simple answers to make things easier to digest

I suspect repeat visitors aren't returning like they would ordinarily (or at all), not wanting to wade through all the bulls#*t necessary to plan and execute a less "magical" trip that's costing an arm and a leg. I'll bet bad word-of-mouth about that is having an impact as well. That's certainly true in my case, and I've been going since 1974. I'm using my DVC points at Aulani, and am planning my first Tokyo Disneyland trip for next May. The new Poly DVC might tempt me back, but that won't be until late-2024 at the earliest.
I'm planning a Tokyo Disney trip too and from what I've seen the way of getting hotel reservations is a confusing bloodbath but at least it won't be as expensive (not counting flights as they're terrible from where I am).

I guess my problem with this logic is that people have been making these assertions for years now. The first time that Disney foot traffic drops, people jump right on this. Just saying something over and over until a piece of data that finally justifies your thought process is not critically thinking.

Yup. That's why I haven't been since May 2021.

I guess my problem with this logic is that people have been making these assertions for years now. The first time that Disney foot traffic drops, people jump right on this. Just saying something over and over until a piece of data that finally justifies your thought process is not critically thinking.
That's not your only problem. :laughing:

I personally know many people that have stopped going as often as they used to, and the reasoning almost all of the time, is the pricing.

Its clear you dont agree that some people have stopped going because of that, but i can tell you from first hand experience, there are a lot of people that have stopped going all together, or changed the way they go to disney because of the price increases of the past 5-10 years.

It doesnt effect you, and that's great, but I wish you would be accepting to the fact that some people have changed the way they vacation because disney has increased the pricing a lot over the past few years.

I personally dont think the model that disney was using was sustainable for forever, but then again, i'm not in their meetings and see their numbers. I just know that for my family, it was a strategy that forced us to take a look at how we vacation, and decrease the amount of time we spend at disney.

We purchased an RV last year instead of DVC, one of the main reasons was because of the price hikes and experience changes. DVC was always in the cards for us, but we changed our minds.

We’re a family that has gone to Disney every year but twice since my wife and I honeymooned at Disney in 2008. We’ve held Annual Passes for 2 of those years, and traveled from NC 4-5 times each of those years.

We’ve moved to an every other year (well we attempted too lol) plan with Disney because of the pricing. We weren’t supposed to go this year, but unfortunately we all 4 contracted covid on day 5 of an 8 day trip last year. Luckily for us Disney allowed us to use the remaining tickets this year, and refunded 2 nights of our hotel. So we’re going to the fort with our RV in October for a long weekend to finish out last years trip.

We’re supposed to go back next year for a full week, but we’ll see, I have one kid that doesn’t want to go back, and one that does.

I'll be honest, i get excited when we start planning these trips, i start to remember all the fun we used to have and the freedom the parks offered, then we get there, and everything is so planned out, and the meals arent nearly as good as they used to be, and i get annoyed.

I'll be honest, i get excited when we start planning these trips, i start to remember all the fun we used to have and the freedom the parks offered, then we get there, and everything is so planned out, and the meals arent nearly as good as they used to be, and i get annoyed.
Much of the spontaneity is gone from these trips, and the services at the resorts and the dining is so homogenous. Repeat visitors will notice these major differences and (like I'm doing) will choose other destinations for future trips; new visitors are apparently treating the trips as one-and-done, with no compelling reason to return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter