Guardasil Vax For 12 Year Old Boy?

But just like the other diseases she needs to be vaccinated BEFORE she is exposed. If you (or she) waits until she is ready for sex then it she is likely to have sex before she is protected by the vaccine.

If this was a vaccine that protected against a virus that was transmitted any other way would you be so against it?

If it were a virus that she wasn't likely to catch and would likely survive even if she did catch it, and the vaccine was this young, then yes, I would be against it.

If tomorrow they come out with an HIV vaccine, I will not be lining up for me or my family to receive it, because I don't engage in behaviors likely to cause HIV transmission.

I had a whole answer typed out and then I did some googling and I just learned something.

I thought (incorrectly) that males got HPV by it just being made naturally in their body. Maybe that's just me being naive or something. Turns out, guys get it by being with someone who has HPV which means I got it third person. That's really gross lol

im pretty sure I know who I got it from because I was only unprotected with one person..drum roll please..my ex husband.

No wonder I don't like him.

I don't understand... did he tell you he was a virgin when you got together?

If it were a virus that she wasn't likely to catch and would likely survive even if she did catch it, and the vaccine was this young, then yes, I would be against it.

If tomorrow they come out with an HIV vaccine, I will not be lining up for me or my family to receive it, because I don't engage in behaviors likely to cause HIV transmission.

No one can make you change
Your mind and that's fine. Your children, your choice. I didn't think that having sex with my ex husband would lead to me getting HPV and needing a hysterectomy because of significant cancer risk but here we are..

I don't understand... did he tell you he was a virgin when you got together?

No, but HPV wasn't on my radar. I was just commenting on the fact that up until this thread I didn't know that guys got it from someone..I thought that they made it as a mutated virus or something. Like insulin, but bad..know what I mean? The HPV could have been passed from person to person for ten years.

In this case, the "behaviours" that put one at risk of contracting HPV are ones that are otherwise considered healthy and normal for most of the human race. Sex, and the desire to connect sexually with another human being, is a fundamental human drive.

Never in a million years would it have occurred to me that I should have been my husband's first-and-only. And the fact that he actually was my first was a source of concern to him - a "bug", not a "feature". ;)

My nineteen year old son is currently dating his third girlfriend. I hope he's being safe, and I did my best to educate him, but at the same time... I'm really glad he didn't marry the first girl he ever kissed!

No one can make you change
Your mind and that's fine. Your children, your choice. I didn't think that having sex with my ex husband would lead to me getting HPV and needing a hysterectomy because of significant cancer risk but here we are..

I do feel for you and your situation. I'm not placing blame on you at all. I'm simply saying I will let my daughter decide when she's old enough. She can read up on the risks vs benefits. By then we should know more about any long term side effects, and more about efficacy, and she can choose whether it is worth it.

Tell that to some of the nice private school girls I went to school with. ;)

Most everyone I knew would insist that you were still a virgin as long as you'd never had "sex-sex". ie, the kind that can lead to babies.
::yes:: LOL - you know I would, but only if they asked me! ;)

Now, this I agree with. I see it similar to being vaccinated for tropical diseases when you never travel. But unfortunately HPV isn't that much of a long-shot. It's practically endemic now.
No, but HPV wasn't on my radar. I was just commenting on the fact that up until this thread I didn't know that guys got it from someone..I thought that they made it as a mutated virus or something. Like insulin, but bad..know what I mean? The HPV could have been passed from person to person for ten years.
Weird idea. It's virus like any other - spread from one host to the next whether they are men or women. Do you remember those PSA's some time ago that showed "how many people you're been intimate with" by extrapolating the numbers out into infinity? {{shudder}}

::yes:: LOL - you know I would, but only if they asked me! ;)

Now, this I agree with. I see it similar to being vaccinated for tropical diseases when you never travel. But unfortunately HPV isn't that much of a long-shot. It's practically endemic now.

Weird idea. It's virus like any other - spread from one host to the next whether they are men or women. Do you remember those PSA's some time ago that showed "how many people you're been intimate with" by extrapolating the numbers out into infinity? {{shudder}}

Again, up until August of last year (the time I found out I had it), HPV wasn't on my radar so I didn't pay attention to the commercials.

If you can guarantee that your kids will only have one sexual partner their entire lives who have never ever had any other sexual partner, then not vaccinating will work. Otherwise not so much.

Gross but how STI work. As they say you have sex with every person your partner as had sex with and everyone they have had sex with etc. etc.

Oh, I know that. In my head I never thought of it as an STD to be honest. Funny how things change when it affects you.

Again, up until August of last year (the time I found out I had it), HPV wasn't on my radar so I didn't pay attention to the commercials.
I am with you there, up until I was diagnosed and researched it I didn't know just how prevalent it was or how at risk I could be. I knew it was something that was transmitted through sexual contact but not that most sexual active people have it or have had it at some point in their life. And that just because most people clear it does not lessen the risk that my biopsy is going to come back that I have cancer (even though the doctor didn't think so).

I am with you there, up until I was diagnosed and researched it I didn't know just how prevalent it was or how at risk I could be. I knew it was something that was transmitted through sexual contact but not that most sexual active people have it or have had it at some point in their life. And that just because most people clear it does not lessen the risk that my biopsy is going to come back that I have cancer (even though the doctor didn't think so).

Good luck with your results. If you get bad news, feel free to DM me.

This isn't something to joke about.

Agreed. But Low-key jokes about everything. I like his style even it is a bit over the top at times. We need posters like Lowkey and domo to remind ourselves not to take things too seriously.

Agreed. But Low-key jokes about everything. I like his style even it is a bit over the top at times. We need posters like Lowkey and domo to remind ourselves not to take things too seriously.

Would you have said the same thing if someone would have joked about his cancer diagnosis? They would have been ripped to shreds (rightfully so).

I agree we need jokesters here, but a life altering virus isn't the right time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter