• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guide says "VGF just sold out"

So I guess my question now is.. If you didnt do MB and used your points what did you pay? ($183)
If you didnt do MB, but rented 2022 pts on your own, what did you pay? (??)
What if I did MB (2022), and then rented out my 2023 pts on my own as well? (??)
When does it stop becoming a deduction of the price per point?
Then there's the nuance of UY and DVC selling you contracts with current points. So depending on UY you might have been assigning back either 22UY or 23UY points. And that also might have depended on what month you purchased - if you jumped on the offer or waited.

And when buying direct, don't forget to deduct the credit card bonus. I used my Disney Chase to get 2% * $183/pt, for a $3.66/pt savings.

I'm still in a bit of shock as to how abruptly VGF went into sold out status. They are ROFRing a few contracts and now they don't even list VGF in the add-on-tool. With them selling limited amounts of BLT direct at $275/pt, I'd expect similar pricing when they ROFR more VGF and have some inventory to sell.

Then there's the nuance of UY and DVC selling you contracts with current points. So depending on UY you might have been assigning back either 22UY or 23UY points. And that also might have depended on what month you purchased - if you jumped on the offer or waited.
It really sucked for those of us who have use years earlier in the year because there was no way for me to get the 2022 points without getting a new use year. I don't think they started offering MB again until early May. I recently purchased direct and could've received the 2022 points for December but decided I'd rather not have 3 use years, especially with 2 of the use years having points from the same resort even though the extra points sure would've been nice.

It really sucked for those of us who have use years earlier in the year because there was no way for me to get the 2022 points without getting a new use year. I don't think they started offering MB again until early May. I recently purchased direct and could've received the 2022 points for December but decided I'd rather not have 3 use years, especially with 2 of the use years having points from the same resort even though the extra points sure would've been nice.
I opted for two use years to get the 2022 points. It’s actually worked to my benefit as now I have 2 contracts to transfer in & out of 👍🏻

I opted for two use years to get the 2022 points. It’s actually worked to my benefit as now I have 2 contracts to transfer in & out of 👍🏻
If I was getting a new UY and it was at a resort I didn't already have, I probably would've been more okay with it. But as it is I already had 2 UYs and we really just wanted more points at RIV in our April UY. The other UY I have is March, it's unfortunate how the spacing turned out for that but it more of a sacrifice I made for the sub AUL which I rarely see has an April UY.

something like that happened when we bought RIV direct in 2019. We wanted February UY but no Feb 2019 points, so we would have started out borrowing for our 2019 New Years’ trip. We ended up matching our VGF UY, which wasn’t ideal but turned out ok after all - used Aug 2019 points for our December 2019 trip.

Aug UY worked out for us again this year - since we bought this summer, we sold back 2022 points and ended up with a ton of Aug 2023 points weeks after we closed. But because we bought more than 150 points, MB wasn’t quite $10/pp off.

something like that happened when we bought RIV direct in 2019. We wanted February UY but no Feb 2019 points, so we would have started out borrowing for our 2019 New Years’ trip. We ended up matching our VGF UY, which wasn’t ideal but turned out ok after all - used Aug 2019 points for our December 2019 trip.

Aug UY worked out for us again this year - since we bought this summer, we sold back 2022 points and ended up with a ton of Aug 2023 points weeks after we closed. But because we bought more than 150 points, MB wasn’t quite $10/pp off.
At least all of your points ended up in 1 use year. I'm okay with that or having 2 separate use years equally spaced out, or even 3 separate use years assuming I don't own contracts from the same resort in multiple use years but I drew the line at having 3 separate use years and having 2 contracts with the same home resort in separate use years. I love doing mental gymnastics for DVC but I didn't want to do thattt much and just wanted to be able to group all of my RIV points together for future 2BR/GV stays.

Last edited:

At least all of your points ended up in 1 use year. I'm okay with that or having 2 separate use years equally spaced out, or even 3 separate use years assuming I don't own contracts from the same resort in multiple use years but I drew the line at having 3 separate use years and having 2 contracts with the same home resort in separate use years. I love doing mental gymnastics for DVC but I didn't want to do thattt much and just wanted to be able to group all of my RIV points together for future 2BR/GV stays.
Totally agree. No, we have 3 home resorts across 2 UYs. But each resort’s points, even in multiple contracts, are in the same UY. It’s just they’re not really well balanced - the majority of our points are in August, which is FINE, but I’d have preferred to have a closer to 50-50 split between August (VGF and RIV) and February (BLT) . Instead it’s more like 80-20, especially since we added on at VGF with an August UY. I definitely wouldn’t have been able to keep track of points in 1 resort spread across 1 or more UYs.

First world problems.

I’m the lunatic who couldn’t pass up “free* 2022 points” so I have 4 UY across 3 home resorts. So far it’s going ok (though my dashboard is a bit unwieldy), but at some point I will probably try to get down to 3 UYs.

*I know I technically did pay a couple months of ‘22 dues.

Quick update here. Our guide has managed to locate some, but sadly not all of the points we were looking to add on. We’ve gone ahead and are pleased to secure what we have. As an interesting side note it appears that the new points we have are not from Unit 11 i.e. I think they were amongst those ROFRd recently and so are in the original villas building…. This, and the frenzy that arose when VGF went to “sold out” makes me think that DVC will be ROFRing a few more VGF yet to fulfil their waiting lists. Yes, we’ve probably overpaid, but the ease of direct for an add on, and pretty much instantaneous points into our dashboard felt worth it this time. There’s always another resale opportunity at a different time when the ROFR monster might be looking another way/resort for when addonitis strikes again!

This is why I'm taking those VGF points and staying at AKL-Jambo value and BWV standard 1 bedrooms. Love VGF and love 1 bedrooms, but those two loves don't play the nicest together.
I'm surprised those are available at 7 months. They haven't been during the times we generally go

is there currently a wait list? my guide told me there isn't.
Didn't sound like it. Our Guide called one evening last week that they just got an email that there were a few points being released and we grabbed a small contract on the spot (50 then rewrote to 40 the next day). Lucky our Guide was west coast and still at work that evening.

You might need your Guide to stand watch and grab something as it gets internally announced.

Quick update here. Our guide has managed to locate some, but sadly not all of the points we were looking to add on. We’ve gone ahead and are pleased to secure what we have.
Do you mind sharing what they charged Direct for those today? Without the Add-On Tool active, seems they can charge what they want :(

Do you mind sharing what they charged Direct for those today? Without the Add-On Tool active, seems they can charge what they want :(
Hi TinkAgainU sorry but I don’t know what the “current” price is either. We were on course to buy the day they announced “sold out” and so the price was the $230/pt then in play. I too dread to think what they’d charge now.

Good to hear that Disney honored the $230/pt price for those of you actively working with a guide to buy at VGF when they suddenly announced "sold out".

The price for VGF is $230…the sold out status didn’t change that….it will remain that price until DVD decide to raise it…my guess is winter to early Spring at the earliest since it just went to $230…from $217…in September.

DVD doesn’t usually up a base price less than 6 to 12 months since it was last raised.

The price for VGF is $230…the sold out status didn’t change that….it will remain that price until DVD decide to raise it…my guess is winter to early Spring at the earliest since it just went to $230…from $217…in September.

DVD doesn’t usually up a base price less than 6 to 12 months since it was last raised.
If they can ROFR at $140-150 and keep VGF up while moving points at $230, that’s a pretty sweet margin for limited work AND it will be easier to sell Poly Tower if there aren’t cheap resale contracts available next door. The wildcard will be if/when they decide to try to put a floor under PVB resale.

Even assuming they are separate, while I know there are some folks who REALLY want the tower, I would imagine many others would flinch at buying the Tower for more than $200 (with a scary point chart and limited studios) if they can get PVB under $140.

With VGF being removed from the add-on-tool, I thought that they were in the process of updating its price. But this is the first time that I've paid close attention to when a resort becomes sold out. Thanks for the info. $230/pt until we hear otherwise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter