Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

Looking at the app, it currently states "CLOSED" again. However, it's 4PM and they have been typically closing mid-afternoon, so perhaps they are closing for the evening since it is only an hour from 5 (which is typically when they close).

Took a lesson from Disney and controlled this a bit more?! I don't know how bad it is at Universal it is right now, but it is absolutely insane when it comes to Disney rope drops and CMs can't do anything about it. Now they can direct people to go towards a certain direction, but all in all, it's every man for themselves and they can't control any guests in the path they're directing them too. Like I said, I haven't seen the Hagrid coaster crowds, but Disney guests are brutal during rope drops from the experiences I've had, which is why I vow to no longer do it.

I didn’t mean to make Disney sound perfect when it comes to rope drop by any means. Disney sometimes (it’s hit or miss) will have CMs walk in front of the crowd and somewhat control speed so there’s little full out running. Other times it gets out of their control. At least it seems like they try.

My experience last week with Hagrid’s was worse than a Disney rope drop, for example, compared to FoP when it first opened. There was basically no attempt at control besides an admonishment not to run prior to releasing the crowd, which immediately begins to run.

What bothered me most was the blatant line jumping - this was in the extended queue outside - especially where it goes through the Poseidon theatre (I think that’s what it is). The line doubles back on itself and even though they had employees posted there appearing to watch the crowd dozens of people, sometimes entire families were jumping the rope and those employees didn’t say anything. I heard a lot of chirping from others in line though.

There was some confusion around the lockers as well - like one family harped on us for jumping in front of them - my family waited a moment while I put our bag away and then we all rejoined the line, losing a few dozen spots but that’s the price of having a bag. Still these people seemed to think we had done something wrong and would’t let it go. I guess they didn’t realize we had been in front of them the whole time, just much further up.

As I said you don’t have to completely give in to the madness. I walked quickly and calmly and tried to ignore any bad actors and it worked out fine.

We were there a few weeks ago. I see no reason to be there at rope drop to get in line for this at this point. If you get there at 7:30am and wait until the ride opens (if it does) you've still waited 4 hours. We got there around 10:30 and waited in the Sinbad area for 2 hours before they came out and announced that the ride would not open open until "late afternoon." It opened around 5pm. The next day we went back around 5pm and rode in about 85 minutes. Our daughters did it the next day, also. There seems to be a sweet spot around 5.

Also, that holding area around the old Sinbad Arena is not really a queue. You are sort of in a line, but your are allowed to leave and go to the bathroom, get food, drink, etc. One of my daughters actually left the queue to purchase a fan and an umbrella. There is absolutely no shade in some areas of that place. I didn't see any line jumping there, but there were a lot of families that were splitting off to get food and drinks while some stayed to hold the spot.

The Universal App is stating 180 minute wait again. Sigh. Really wanted to ride this, but starting to lose hope. Is the ride still shutting down at 5pm?

We were there a few weeks ago. I see no reason to be there at rope drop to get in line for this at this point. If you get there at 7:30am and wait until the ride opens (if it does) you've still waited 4 hours. We got there around 10:30 and waited in the Sinbad area for 2 hours before they came out and announced that the ride would not open open until "late afternoon." It opened around 5pm. The next day we went back around 5pm and rode in about 85 minutes. Our daughters did it the next day, also. There seems to be a sweet spot around 5.

Also, that holding area around the old Sinbad Arena is not really a queue. You are sort of in a line, but your are allowed to leave and go to the bathroom, get food, drink, etc. One of my daughters actually left the queue to purchase a fan and an umbrella. There is absolutely no shade in some areas of that place. I didn't see any line jumping there, but there were a lot of families that were splitting off to get food and drinks while some stayed to hold the spot.

That's based off a few weeks ago. They have been good about now opening the ride during opening, then closing it actually mid-day, at essentially five. So, in terms of when they open and close is the complete opposite now. They also have people wait in the Seuss land area before opening. However, after that, I do not know if the line is all the way back to Sinbad, or not, I haven't heard people talk about that area for awhile.

Also, the thing about the "rope drop" is that while trying to get there first might be crazy, you're almost guaranteed a ride regardless of the wait. Where as if you go any other time you're going to wait just as long, potentially get delayed while waiting, or not ride at all if you're behind the pack. Let's say you're one of the first, let's say a hundred, you may have waited as long, or longer than some people, but when it first opens the ride will be in a good place and since you're one of the first hundred you get to get onto the ride faster. However, if you're behind those people, any delays are more likely to fall upon you and if the ride closes hour later of letting guest after guest get on that means all those people got to go on, but not you.

The Universal App is stating 180 minute wait again. Sigh. Really wanted to ride this, but starting to lose hope. Is the ride still shutting down at 5pm?

They have been over-estimating the wait time to account for *if* the ride happens to go down temporarily while people are in line.

I'm following a board where people are continually reporting stated wait time vs. actual wait time on a daily basis and almost every report that has been given mentions that as long as the ride doesn't have a temp shut down, people have been waiting less than 1/2 of the stated wait time, and the only time the wait time was accurate when people have entered the line and there was a shut down of some kind while in line.

Best strategy I've seen over the last week or so has been that people line up for Rope Drop starting at ~8:00am. They get taken in around 8:30 to be held at either Seuss Landing or by Sinbads, then at around 8:50 get taken over to the actual queue for the 9:00 open. And all reports I've read have said the rope droppers are off by ~10:00 or earlier. Someone today lined up at 7:45 for Rope drop and they were done the ride at 9:30am even though the stated wait time was 180 right at open.

Edit, to answer your other question, they typically close the line off around 5:00 pm and let those who are still in the queue ride, which then shuts the ride down at around 7:00pm for them to start their nightly maintenance. So around 5:00pm you will see it typically say "At Capacity".

Last edited:
We go August 3rd and I'm starting to lose hope. I don't think the family will have the patience to sign up for this.

This is my first time going to Universal so this may be a dumb question. We have the Unlimited Express pass and are staying on property so we get the extra hour. Has the ride been open during that extra hour yet?

This is my first time going to Universal so this may be a dumb question. We have the Unlimited Express pass and are staying on property so we get the extra hour. Has the ride been open during that extra hour yet?
They have only had Universal Studios open for early entry since it has been open, not Islands of Adventure.

We're going in a little less than a month. I will be anxiously watching ideas and experiences on this thread to know how to deal with the situation when we go. I am hoping it is a little more settled by the, but who knows?!?

Us too. We are going to be there the 23-25 of August and hoping to have a strategy in place by then for riding.

We are only a few weeks away from our trip and it is sounding a little more promising that we can ride this one. We will just have to factor in a very early arrival or try to hit that "sweet spot" around 5pm.

Considering it seems a lot of you have a couple of weeks to a month for your trips in August, while things may not be perfect by then, there has been a lot that has changed in the past few weeks alone. That being said, that is the silver lining in this situation.

Here's a ride report from another place that speaks in detail to the rope drop strategy being good and just taking a normal pace once the park opens (i.e. not running/pushing your way past other guests)

Home! I'll do a trip report tomorrow or Friday, but I did want to point out that the part between IOA rope drop and Seuss rope drop (9:00, 8:46, and 8:50 I think for our three runs) is key.

People are so stupid though; running, outright cutting, it is not fun. We did a focused walk and did not lose much time at all - please do not run here, it is not necessary.

The line started at Sindbad and they led you into and out of the theater, then by Hogwarts Express. You have a chance to jump into either locker area and only lose a few spots (group-wise) in line; just be quick. Once you go through the arch, and if it does not break down, you do not stop walking. This relatively boring queue (more to come in the TR!) will do the trick once they get this thing running on all fours.

With 7 or 8 trains running (still not sure if there are 3 or 4 at load/unload) we were through in 30 minutes both times that it did not break down. The first time would have been around 40 (without the hour stoppage); there were 3 or 4 one-minute stoppages in the queue also (maybe people who couldn't get on in time?). Very manageable, even if it does have a sub-2000 hourly capacity.

Get there at 7:45, walk briskly to Seuss rope, don't cut or run, pray to your god for smooth operations for the first hour, and you'll be out by 9:30.

Here's a ride report from another place that speaks in detail to the rope drop strategy being good and just taking a normal pace once the park opens (i.e. not running/pushing your way past other guests)

Thanks for this. Does give a little bit more hope. We go to IA next Thursday. I have been keeping the kids updated on how things are going with the ride. They pretty much said they would rather go do other things in the park than wait in line for 3 hours since we have limited time there that day. Will keep my eyes on the updates. If we can get through at open in less than 2 hours, then maybe we will make an attempt to get on.

Today (Thursday the 25) we got to the IOA gate At 8:15. They let us to Seuss and held us till about 9. We were close to the front of the line. By the time it opened , all the malfunctions , exactly 4 hours in line and we did not ride. Fast pass for whenever was the only hope in site so at least we got that.

This ride and every strategy contained herein are a complete gamble. Much luck to all !!!

Righty ho, I'll be at the parks in 74 days time (wahoo!) and as far as Hagrid goes, now have a little plan forming.

On my first day I'll be at USO for rope drop at EE, do Gringotts to get my 'ride legs' going as it were, have a quick mooch around Diagon Alley, a cigarette with Bruce (he doesnt enhale) maybe try and find somewhere to activate my Freestyle cup (Can I do that at the machines?) and then zip out to be in rope drop position at IOA no later than 8am.

I hate, actually HATE being without something to drink for even short periods of time, so I will go into the park with an allowable bottle of water and soda, having said that, if I have to wait a bit once my stuff is in the Hagrid lockers, I'll cope!

Plan is, to do the full queue that day to get on a motorcycle, and then the following day do single rider and the sidecar, all this depending on no rain, so fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter