Halifax - Toronto - Orlando experience

mackaylc

Mouseketeer
Good afternoon!

Today is my 30 days and I have started thinking about the final prep for my trip! One area that has me stressed is the connecting flight we have through Pearson. This will be the first time we do not take a direct flight from Halifax. My flight leaves Halifax at 6:30am, gets to Toronto at 7:50am EST. Then we leave Toronto at 9:40 am and get to Orlando at 12:27. This is on a Saturday. We will have 1hr and 50min to get through US Customs and back through Security in Toronto. Should I be worried? I have two kids (8 and 12). Also if you have recently connected through Toronto, I would love to hear your experience. Did your bag go through without having to be picked up? Did you use the kiosk for Customs?

Any information would be appreciated to help alleviate my stress!

Thanks!

Good afternoon!

Today is my 30 days and I have started thinking about the final prep for my trip! One area that has me stressed is the connecting flight we have through Pearson. This will be the first time we do not take a direct flight from Halifax. My flight leaves Halifax at 6:30am, gets to Toronto at 7:50am EST. Then we leave Toronto at 9:40 am and get to Orlando at 12:27. This is on a Saturday. We will have 1hr and 50min to get through US Customs and back through Security in Toronto. Should I be worried? I have two kids (8 and 12). Also if you have recently connected through Toronto, I would love to hear your experience. Did your bag go through without having to be picked up? Did you use the kiosk for Customs?

Any information would be appreciated to help alleviate my stress!

Thanks!

Who are you flying with? Air Canada or WestJet?

Westjet, sorry about that!

No worries - When I connect through Toronto (which I do try to avoid), I usually prefer to allow for 3 hours to cover getting through customs and security as well as any unforeseen delays, getting to the bathroom, grabbing a bite to eat, etc.

Last September, my flight from Orlando was delayed by 2 hours so that 3 hour connection was whittled down to 1 hour. I did make it (and even got to the bathroom! :-)) but LITERALLY had to speed-walk the entire way. It seemed like the gates were as far away from customs and security as they could possibly be.

We did not have to pick up our bags and did use the kiosks but it is still an inefficient setup.

I think with two hours, if all goes well with your flight from Halifax, you will be fine but would advise that you don't waste time at the front end eating, etc. Wait until you have cleared customs and security to do anything "extra".

I am from St. John's, NL and am connecting through Halifax on our way down in May! Really looking forward to it!

We just had these flights in February. We had plenty of time in Toronto. Just keep moving and wait for food and washrooms until you get through Security and Customs.

Oh, and our bags went straight through :)

We just had these flights in February. We had plenty of time in Toronto. Just keep moving and wait for food and washrooms until you get through Security and Customs.

Oh, and our bags went straight through :)

Sorry to tag on to the original post. we are flying from Vancouver to Orlando with a layover in Toronto on an overnight flight with West Jet, I think we land in Toronto around 6 am and have an hour and half to get through customs and to our gate. If we don't have to deal with our bags hopefully that will give us enough time. Guess worst case we will have to catch the next flight over to Orlando but that will eat up my park time :rolleyes1

I did this exact same flight route in December. We got through security really quick and sat in the room waiting for our baggage to appear on the screen so we could go through customs. There were about 6 of us whose bags just didn't show up so we missed the flight, the westjet workers in that room were the worst customer service people I've ever experienced. Our bags were located 10 mins after the plane left and they told us we'd have to fly out the next day, I cried and they booked us through New York and then to Orlando arriving at 11:30pm.

In theory, you have so much time if your luggage checks through in time! I told westjet that I'd prefer to pick up my luggage next time because at least I'd make my flight and they said that system is much worse, hasn't failed me before!

I'm sure you'll be fine - but if after half an hour your bags haven't showed up please kick up a huge fuss and get them on the phone with the baggage department! Funnily enough, I booked the exact same flight route for September but we're only taking carry ons!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter