Hamilton on Disney Plus this Friday....who's excited!!??

We just watched as family! So good! We all loved it! Yes, subtitles help.

We are suppose to see the touring production a year from now. Here’s hoping. Now I am kind of glad to see it here first as we will be familiar with it when we see it live.

Saw it with my family in Columbus and my sister in London. We had a small viewing party on the deck at our lake house last night. Live was great but I also enjoyed the movie where I paid a little of attention to the background actors. The choreographer went to my sons high school. I thought it was magnificent all three viewings and am looking forward to watching it again. I know most of the soundtrack by heart and could fill in with my off key singing if they were in a pinch.

We are planning on watching it. We enjoyed the soundtrack but the live show was okay. Definitely not worth the ticket price. I would not go see it again. It did not live up to the hype in our minds.

OK. So I watched Hamilton on Disney+. And I was not sure at first if I was going to like it, but then somewhere in the middle I Was reminded how much I appreciate theater and musical Productions and I was like ... this is really good

The double spinning floor, the simplicity of the set, Leslie Odom Jr. carrying the whole show. It was great. Jonathan Groff's King George was sassy!

Loved it. The set, lighting and choreography were amazing. The writing and lyrics were brilliant. I was brought to tears a few times. So so great.

I watched it. It was ok. I'll rewatch to see if my opinion improves.
It took me a solid 4 or 5 times listening to the cast recording (I had bought it for my husband), before I really started to appreciate it. Now, I love it. Did you have closed captioning on the first time? There are over 20,000 words in the show, and following it can be pretty hard the first time through.

It took me a solid 4 or 5 times listening to the cast recording (I had bought it for my husband), before I really started to appreciate it. Now, I love it. Did you have closed captioning on the first time? There are over 20,000 words in the show, and following it can be pretty hard the first time through.

Yup. Not sure how we got it stuck on CC but it's on every show I watch on Disney + now

Yup. Not sure how we got it stuck on CC but it's on every show I watch on Disney + now
Usually chosen as subtitles and not specifically CC on your TV. My kid turned it off and I had to look up how to change it. Most Disney+ apps allow the selection once you're watching content, since the selections vary by the content. If you select one, it might use the same settings on different content, although I'm not sure what happens if it's not available.

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=fa41be1cdb0d40d03c0cf158bf96198e
For me, I press the up arrow on my remote. There should be a grayed out keyboard icon in the upper right hand corner. Then pressing the up arrow again turns the keyboard icon to white. Then I click on the select button. Then I can select from AUDIO/SUBTITLES/SUBTITLE STYLE. I have to work quickly or else it will close automatically.

It's probably different accessing Disney+ on a web page or through a device app.

I got 45 minutes in last night before passing out on the couch. It's not my favourite musical, but love the choreography and all the talent, and I love the music for running sessions.

I only have one thing to remark: They should have left out the Disney castle logo. They put the intro music over it with the warning message regarding strong language, sex and substance abuse, plus not advised for kids younger than 12. That so doesn't match with the Disney castle

not excited but glad I get a free chance to see the show and know I can turn it off if I dont like it and not lose out in 100s of dollars.

I really have no desire to see a hip-hop broadway show ( know its not all hip hop) . Hip Hop and rap are not my genre. ( more alternative - euro pop fan here). The clips I have seen also did not entice me like I have to see that. But its worth a look as it is a new concept.

Last edited:
I got 45 minutes in last night before passing out on the couch. It's not my favourite musical, but love the choreography and all the talent, and I love the music for running sessions.

I only have one thing to remark: They should have left out the Disney castle logo. They put the intro music over it with the warning message regarding strong language, sex and substance abuse, plus not advised for kids younger than 12. That so doesn't match with the Disney castle
Are you kidding? You can’t be serious. Disney owns it now, for all intents and purposes, and they want their name and logo attached. Yes it’s for grown ups. Maybe you shouldn’t have watched it since it has strong language

I watch I literally (not live) everything with CC.

I do too (I don't have good hearing). One thing that annoys me on Netflix is when the show is dubbed (i.e. original wasn't in English and they've dubbed it into English). The dubbing and captioning often do not match. It's generally the same meaning and doesn't affect understanding, but it is annoying.

Yesterday, for example, I started watching "Cable Girls" (originally Spanish). At one point, the character says:

"Do you know what the penalty for murder is, Katia?"
"The garrotte."

But the caption says:

"Do you know what happens to murderers?"
"The hangman's noose".

Okay, so in both versions, you find out that murderers are executed, but it's pretty different. And annoying.

Edited because p and b are not the same letter.

Last edited:
Not going to lie, I went into thinking it was just overhyped and was prepared to dislike it. I LOVED it, as did my teens. I am glad I saw it this way because I can more easily justify tickets for a live show if it’s able to tour again.

Are you kidding? You can’t be serious. Disney owns it now, for all intents and purposes, and they want their name and logo attached. Yes it’s for grown ups. Maybe you shouldn’t have watched it since it has strong language
No, not kidding. I am from the Netherlands, I hear & see much worse on Dutch daytime tv than is ever allowed in the US. I'm currently watching a newsitem about the red light district reopening after covid lockdown and their safety procedures. So, don't worry about my tender nerves ;-)

Back to Hamilton. I just don't think the castle logo is a good match, from a branding point of view. There is a certain emotion attached to that logo, like family friendly. I enjoy Hamilton as a musical, is it family friendly and 'Disney', no. Not to me. Besides, you can only watch this on DISNEY plus, it doesn't add anything, unless you show it outside your own streaming device.

They don't add the castle logo to Star Wars or Marvel movies, they own that. If you're going to slap your logo on everything, then be consistent and add it to Anastasia :P

But it's fine to disagree.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter