Harder to get a room?

The solution isn't for Disney to implement but rather for each of us to implement: To make the best decisions and plans for our own family, and apply them to the reservations we make. For most of us, that will mean the solution is simply to plan ahead further in advance.

When we bought in 2001, there were threads similar to this about OKW. Everybody going on and on about it being run down, icky pool, out in the boonies, and all those members!!! :rolleyes:

Don't worry SSR people, they'll build something else, and then you'll be out of the dog house.

btw my next trip to WDW is at that icky OKW. :rolleyes:

crisi said:
Professional landlords throw another monkey wrench into the works - by booking prime times and renting out the reservation. When they accept point transfers in and the transfer loses its original use year and home resort desigination, it makes the system easy to "jimmy" in favor of the folks running DVC as a business over those that just want to switch at seven months.
I'm surprised more people haven't brought this up. There are owners who take the hardest to get spots only to rent them for a profit. If you are someone who bought in the 90's, you will make a profit. If they are not able to rent it out, they will release the ressie and then someone on the waitlist will be happy. The fact that the rent/trade board is so popular only attests to this, let alone ebay and newpaper ads I have seen.

All I know is this - I am SO happy I did not find this board until AFTER I purchased because the way us lowlife dirt bag reservation hog SSR types are portrayed I would not have bought.

pplasky said:
I'm surprised more people haven't brought this up. There are owners who take the hardest to get spots only to rent them for a profit. If you are someone who bought in the 90's, you will make a profit. If they are not able to rent it out, they will release the ressie and then someone on the waitlist will be happy. The fact that the rent/trade board is so popular only attests to this, let alone ebay and newpaper ads I have seen.

There are a couple of us that have brought this point up. Then, there are some that feel that this does not have any bearing on the situation. There are some people that have 3000 pts. They rent them out in 5 nt. blocks on ebay. That could be 50 ressies at the BWV! You can go on ebay at any given time and see the same people renting!

We bought DVC for our vacation and while staying Sun-Fri is the best use of points, we stay for at least 9-10 days. We fly clear across the state, so 5 days just isn't enough for us!

Slakk said:
All I know is this - I am SO happy I did not find this board until AFTER I purchased because the way us lowlife dirt bag reservation hog SSR types are portrayed I would not have bought.

I have been on these boards for a while now, but lurked for a long time before jumping in! Anyway, I really didn't start hearing negative stuff about SSR until after I purchased there! I'm not letting anything bring me down about my purchase! :goodvibes

Steph

PinkTink63 said:
I have been on these boards for a while now, but lurked for a long time before jumping in! Anyway, I really didn't start hearing negative stuff about SSR until after I purchased there! I'm not letting anything bring me down about my purchase!

Steph

Actually I agree I love SSR and it would have been my first choice all things equal. What I meant was the way people complain would have turned me off.

I do believe the Buy where you want to stay theory - and I choose SSR. But if I want to try another resort at 7 month well tough - I think I has as much right to stay at another resort as anyone else. :banana:

This board is an interesting place. When I joined this board, SSR wasn't even imagined. BCV wasn't open, but was being sold. And I almost backed out of my contract because people were complaining about how tacky it was to hang your towels over the railings of the resorts, that the halls at BWV were "filled" with trash that people were too lazy to take to the trash room. Most of the animosity was between BWV owners and OKW owners, VWL was basically ignored and VWL was a non entity.

Slakk said:
Actually I agree I love SSR and it would have been my first choice all things equal. What I meant was the way people complain would have turned me off.

I do believe the Buy where you want to stay theory - and I choose SSR. But if I want to try another resort at 7 month well tough - I think I has as much right to stay at another resort as anyone else. :banana:

Absolutely! If I would have wanted to stay at the same place all the time, I would have bought one of those TS off property! :teeth:

Like Doc, we have never had any problem getting a room at the 7 month window at the other resorts. I certainly don't have as much experience nor as many points as Doc, but last week we decided to see what was available for the end of May. So 57 days out we were able to get a 1 bdr at OKW. We own at the BWV & BCV but love OKW so we were thrilled. We do generally try and plan 11 months out but about, 70% of the time it is not right at the 11 month window and we visit 2 to 3 times a year. I have absolutely no complaints and still think it is the best thing we have ever done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter