Harder to get a room?

bom_noite said:
Dean, to your point, can they lower the points at any of the resorts or is that cast in granite? Certainly I do not think they can raise them - but lowering them?
I'm not Dean, but I do have an opinion on this, LOL.

Since SSR is not yet sold out they can lower the points - and just sell less. That is what was done when the standard view was established at the BWV.

However, IMHO this is not going to happen at SSR for two reasons -

1. Developer profit. No compelling reason for them to reduce their profit since the resort continues to sell.

2. BWV experience. Having the two point options at the same resort is said to be a mistake that Disney regrets. Doubt we will see them repeat it.

Best wishes -

I believe any change to the number of points in the resort would require a change in the Master Deed.

That is what was done when the standard view was established at the BWV.
No. When Standard View was established at BWV, they shifted points around. The total number of points at BWV was unchanged.

BWV experience. Having the two point options at the same resort is said to be a mistake that Disney regrets. Doubt we will see them repeat it.
I agree...and it's the same reason I suspect that SSR point system was higher than OKW. I think Disney realized that the points were probably too low at OKW (once they saw/realized what demand there would be for DVC), because I don't see much of a reason for SSR not to be on par with OKW points since these are both stand-alone resorts.

bicker said:
....(Snip).... No. When Standard View was established at BWV, they shifted points around. The total number of points at BWV was unchanged.
Absent proof, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.

My understanding was that the resort was not completely sold when the change occurred and the total # of points planned to be sold was reduced to accomodate the reduced point structure for the standard view. I do not recall that any rooms at the BWV were ever adjusted upward - and they would have to be if the total points were reallocated rather than reduced.

I know the POS was changed several times during the course of the BWV sales, but I do not know if that is what you mean by "Master Contract" and I do not know if one of the changes had to do with the point structure.

Maybe tonight I will have time to look at some old point charts.

Best wishes -

DisFlan said:
... There's little to encourage owners of the hotel-attached resorts to give up their home resort amenities and choose SSR as a "destination resort". I too think this aspect was a major missed opportunity. This isn't a fault of owners at any resort, it's the fault of SSR's planners.

That was my point about opinions. We are each entitled to our own. Many do feel the proximity to DD to be a plus - some apparently do not. Some do like the theming - some apparently do not.

The point of my last post was simply to point out that the increased difficulty in making reservations within 7 months has been discussed on this board long before SSR was even announced. The concern has been present for a number of years now and other resorts were blamed at that time. For now, some have shifted the blame to SSR owners for reserving at other resorts within 7 months. The complaint has been around a long time- only the culprit has changed within the same discussion.

Yes, I own at SSR. Yes, I like my resort. Yes, I do want to try other DVC resorts, as do others of other DVC resorts. It is not hurting anyone who owns at the smaller resorts, they have always had the 11th month advantage. If it is hard to find lodging during these times it is because other owners of the same resort want the same timeframe. I personally was able to book a 1BR at the 7 month window(not day by day, the whole week) at BWV for the 1st week in August. I just called yesterday to make it a 2BR, and while they only had preferred view left, was able to change(that's 4 months and 1 week out). I will try to stay at all of the resorts along the way. If I want Christmas, I will be more than happy to stay at my "home" resort. I have been reading similar posts since SSR's conception and personally think those of you who own at these resorts are making to big of a deal. The only people it may be affecting is those who are also trying to make ressies at the 7-month window, in which case they don't "own" at the resort they are looking for either.

Dean said:
IMO, DVC had their chance to do so with a combo of even better unit options, lower points and better building planning as well as a dramatic pool option far better than SAB and maybe a members only restaurant much like a country club membership.

:thumbsup2 I agree.

The way I see it, Everyone has from 11 months until 7 months and 1 day to book their home resort, the only competition being other owners at that resort. Inside of 7 months it's fair game. Every one of us knew that when buying into DVC. If anyone cannot book their vacations over 7 months out, then maybe DVC wasn't a good investment for them. Just the way I see it. And by the way, we own at SSR and will probably never stay anywhere else. We love our home!!!

WebmasterDoc said:
...The point of my last post was simply to point out that the increased difficulty in making reservations within 7 months has been discussed on this board long before SSR was even announced. The concern has been present for a number of years now and other resorts were blamed at that time. For now, some have shifted the blame to SSR owners for reserving at other resorts within 7 months. The complaint has been around a long time- only the culprit has changed within the same discussion.

Doc, this point is being totally overlooked or ignored. This is the same issue/argument that has been around since each DVC was announced and built.
Well stated ;)

Too bad they wouldn't lower the points. It would be a good idea. Keep the point chart as it currently stands for the Springs and Congress Park. And lower it for the Paddock and phase 3. (Does it have a name yet??)

One, this would help with the requests of always wanting the Springs and Congress Park, I bet some would forgo the benefits of being closer to things if there was a lower point structure in the Paddocks.

Two, it might take some of the pressure off the OKW grand villas for the Paddock areas with the lower points. If you could get a GV for just a few more than OKW in the Paddock area, I think that would help for those that want a GV at not to high a point price.

JVSJr said:
I spoke to a friend of mine about this thread. His family has BCV points. He also stated he noticed it to be a bit harder to book so he does the following;

He books several different dates way in advance (inside 11 mo.) and when he narrows down when they can actually go he cancels the not needed ressies. He parents also have points and do the same. Thay may be why the 11 month window is harder as well. If everyone does that (which is perfectly ok by the rules), it will allow one to book several different dates and as the dates draw near and cancel those not needed. This will open up the wait list for anyone who is on it since they cancel just before the popints go to holding..

well finally a BCV 0wner actually explaining the real reason why they cant get the prefered dates its all those other BCV OWNERS BOOKING LOTS OF DATES
but never mind we can blame SSR owners most people are daft enough to believe that. NOT ME

Yet.

Doc, I disgree with your diagnosis.

I believe most of the concern voiced on these boards about the construction of SSR is its potential long-term impact, not how its affecting room availability right now.

You’re right, the resort isn’t even 50% done yet. So what people are actually cringing about is what this scenario may look like in the next few years, when SSR is complete.

“SSR would have to be seven times more appealing?” The math around here is absolutely scary sometimes.

It should be equally appealing. So owners at BCW, BWV and VWL want to try SSR as much as SSR owners would want to try the resort-based DVC properties.

That’s called balance: Then it doesn’t matter how many DVC resorts are built or how many rooms each resort may have. If there is equal appeal then, for example, I may forego my BWV points one year to try SSR.

The concern is that SSR may not be that kind of draw. No one, is arguing that it’s not a pretty resort, or blames you for wanting to stay there. It’s the equation that is fueling the concern: If a greater percentage of SSR owners want to stay at the smaller resort-based DVC properties then vice versa, then we have over demand at the smaller resorts.

SSR is going to be huge. And it needs to be an attraction in its own right or the smaller resorts will be flooded year round.

We now have two mega standalone DVC properties whose combined room totals completely dwarf the other three small resort-based DVC properties.

Someone here just wrote, “I really believe that the next few on-site resort choices are critical to this equation. If they choose Contemporary and AKL as new resorts - then - I think the problem will be mitigated for a while. If they choose EP then - the problem worsens.”

Exactly right. Which is why I'm glad so many DVC owners are weighing in with their opinions. If we keep doing so maybe DVC will mitigate the problem instead of aggravate it.

But let's not cloud the issue that there are people out there who have a vested interest in bashing a particular resort in order to make the buyers feel bad. The arguments here are purely selfish, and rightly so: I don't want my home resort to be constantly overcrowded.

So I hope SSR is more popular than my two home resorts. Honest to God, nothing would make me happier.

In fact, anytime I read one of those trip planning boards where people are trying to decide between two resorts, I always hope people vote for any resort that isn't mine.

If a greater percentage of SSR owners want to stay at the smaller resort-based DVC properties then vice versa, then we have over demand at the smaller resorts.

But you still have a 4 month window to use your home resort no matter what the demand by other DVCers that don't own at that particular resort. If someone chooses not to exercise that option which is available, then that person has no one to blame but themselves. But I guess that is just my way of thinking..........

You're 100% right. We have a 4-month headstart, and I'm positive I'll always be able to get into my home resorts since I think it's fun to plan far in advance.

I just think DVC has set up the program to create overcrowding in thhe resort-based properties.

Two laid back mega resorts connected to no theme park versus three small resorts, which are.

It's poor plannning plain and simple.

And the people who will pay the price are the DVC, VB and BCV owners.

It seems to me that the only solution that could have made everyone happy and content is if Disney stopped selling DVC memberships RIGHT AFTER they sold them theirs. :teeth:

Groucho said:
It seems to me that the only solution that could have made everyone happy and content is if Disney stopped selling DVC memberships RIGHT AFTER they sold them theirs. :teeth:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: ITA!!! :thumbsup2

Brian430 said:
You're 100% right. We have a 4-month headstart, and I'm positive I'll always be able to get into my home resorts since I think it's fun to plan far in advance.

As long as you plan in advance is correct......I just get disgruntled at the people that complain when they can't get in their home resort at the less than 7 month window. I believe this is no ones fault but their own.

Brian430 said:
I just think DVC has set up the program to create overcrowding in thhe resort-based properties.

Two laid back mega resorts connected to no theme park versus three small resorts, which are.

It's poor plannning plain and simple.

And the people who will pay the price are the DVC, VB and BCV owners.

The other part I tend not to agree with. By that token, with OKW being the first, and one of the largest, maybe they shouldn't have created the smaller resort villas to begin with. I think the argument could go that way also. I have stayed at SSR, actullay just a week ago, and the bus ride to the parks was nothing. I don't believe we ever had to wait over 15 minutes for a bus. I just don't see the whole "being connected" part. Ofcourse, before DVC, I had always stayed at the Fort Wilderness Cabins so I guess I have never really been connected to a park(walking distance). Maybe one day me and my family will try it out. Don't worry though, it won't be anytime soon so people don't have to worry about me at the 7 month window at their resort.....We are very happy with SSR as our home. Actually, we are so happy that we added another 130 points just last week. :cool1:

Brian430 said:
It should be equally appealing. So owners at BCW, BWV and VWL want to try SSR as much as SSR owners would want to try the resort-based DVC properties.

That’s called balance: Then it doesn’t matter how many DVC resorts are built or how many rooms each resort may have. If there is equal appeal then, for example, I may forego my BWV points one year to try SSR.

Equal appeal is in the eye of the beholder. I have stayed at all 7 DVC resorts and can find something "appealing" about each one, but there are some I have no urgent need to return to. Fortunately, I purchased at the resorts I enjoy the most and most vacations are spent there. The resorts I enjoy the most may not be (and apparently are not) the resorts that YOU enjoy the most- thus what I find appealing may not appeal to you and vice - versa. That does not mean that either one of us is wrong- just that we have different tastes.

As the concerns raised here reach the level of hysteria, more and more members will make their home resort reservations at 11 months - some will be able to change at 7 months to another resort, some will not have that ability. As more and more complain to DVC about their inability to reserve at 7 months at non-home resorts, the decision could just be made to change the reservation priority. I can easily envision an 11/10 month priority and can see the frantic posts already if that were to happen. DVC can make that change without consulting the membership and that possibility is clearly spelled out in our documents.

Maybe the only mistake made by DVC was in building those small resorts. ;)

Stay tuned!

waltfan1957 said:
well finally a BCV 0wner actually explaining the real reason why they cant get the prefered dates its all those other BCV OWNERS BOOKING LOTS OF DATES
but never mind we can blame SSR owners most people are daft enough to believe that. NOT ME
And remember in that poll that Beca was nice enough to put up, BCV came out on top in popularity for everyone?

That's so FUNNY, but I think you've absolutely hit the nail on the head. "Poor planning" is any decision that makes it harder for me to get what I want. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter