Harry and Meghan Netflix documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
i SO agree. i also don't think people realize that what they are likely innocently posting to their social media can hurt or insult others in a way that the poster would NEVER do/intend to do with traditional communication interactions. i recently saw this potentially play out- now, in regular talking to people someone would never think to tell a person or multiple people within a shared social or familial relationship all the 'great', 'wonderful'...details about a party, gathering, wedding or other recent event UNLESS they knew for a fact the person/persons had in fact been invited and for whatever reason did not attend. reasoning is you don't want the person(s) to feel bad or slighted if they were not invited, put the host in an uncomfortable position for their inclusion/exclusion choices. HOWEVER-the same people who would NEVER do this think nothing of posting real-time or after the fact photos, selfies, videos on their social media which all their shared social circle/family are part of. it's likely (i hope so) unintended but people's feelings can be hurt/relationships can become strained.
That's a bit different.

There's an onus on both parties to understand things. You wouldn't tell someone to never talk about a party you were not invited to, you would expect them to not talk about it in your presence. With respects to FB people can limit who they share the post to, you wouldn't obviously tag the person who was not invited but it would be inappropriate to expect a person to never post about the party just because you may see it and be hurt. On the other side if you're posting something you'd want to keep in mind these things.

People have to be mature all around. I'm sure there are times people "rub it in" but I'd expect those types of people to do the same in person.

Why did that mean they couldn't move to South Africa or Canada? I think maybe there's more to the story there than H&M shared.
I found an article with a quote from a Times journalist saying SA was out because money and security issues.

I am no expert on SA economics, but they might not have the money to fund the security and I believe in Canada the public wasn't too keen on sponsoring H&M.
@canadians? Can you confirm or deny this was an issue?

I found an article with a quote from a Times journalist saying SA was out because money and security issues.

I am no expert on SA economics, but they might not have the money to fund the security and I believe in Canada the public wasn't too keen on sponsoring H&M.
I'm trying to remember why a few of the posters who are Canadian mentioned it on a different thread a while back but your sponsoring part sounds at least somewhat familiar like maybe when they found out how much they'd be paying they changed their mind?? I was googling to see if I could find anything and interesting found information about the race discussion. I was searching "why did canada not want meghan markle" didn't quite get anything concrete about that but I think you're on the right track about financials of the public's responsibility.

The opinions held can change, the public is fickle and one minute you've got support the next you don't but results right after the Oprah interview were interesting https://globalnews.ca/news/7704854/...f Canadians believe,a new Ipsos poll suggests.

For transparency the poll data: This poll was conducted between March 11 and March 12, 2021, with a sample of 1,000 Canadians aged 18+ interviewed online. The precision of Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. This poll is accurate to within ± 3.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, had all Canadians aged 18+ been polled.

Limited survey, limited results but wouldn't it be interesting to redo this survey? Now with this documentary out as well as now that the Queen has passed did those viewpoints about the monarchy stick around or change (the finality of someone actually passing can completely change how you view leadership). I assume the documentary is available to Canadians right on Netflix?

In a different survey back just after the Oprah interview Harry's image took a hit from a poll done in the UK of 1,664 respondents https://globalnews.ca/news/7693363/prince-harry-meghan-markle-oprah-interview-popularity/

I suspect the viewpoints to have skewed more downward in a more negative viewpoint towards both but I must say I'm intrigued to know.

In their defense, it worked while Harry was a bachelor. Two people need more space than one person. 1300ish square feet is pretty good for most of us, but we don't have to allot space for security people. ...
I don't believe they needed to provide space for security staff within the home. ...The cottage being located within the secure (and large and lush) Kensington Palace grounds. Any formal meetings would have taken place in official spaces within the palace.

Yes, the cottage is cosy, but I think it was self-sabotaging to complain about it publicly, especially since William and Catherine and, now (I think) Eugene and her husband, all seem to have managed fine with it. Being a member of the RF doesn't necessarily mean glamorous, expansive homes (in a country not known for large houses). Also, the RF are often more down-to-earth behind the scenes, as opposed to living in Hollywood luxury.

Though, having said all that, Harry & Meghan were very quickly gifted a much larger home in Windsor Castle grounds anyway (by which time, it seems, they were already planning their escape) - so why mention the cottage at all?!

Interesting comments in several above posts about the way social media has changed social interactions and the resulting impact on mental health. It can be very manipulative in the way it suggests illusory truths to people and creates challenging pressures and expectations. I'm starting really to miss a sense of more local and real community, but social media ways spill over and we're losing more and more community without - I think - people realising the reality of what we're losing.

I don't believe they needed to provide space for security staff within the home. ...The cottage being located within the secure (and large and lush) Kensington Palace grounds. Any formal meetings would have taken place in official spaces within the palace.

Yes, the cottage is cosy, but I think it was self-sabotaging to complain about it publicly, especially since William and Catherine and, now (I think) Eugene and her husband, all seem to have managed fine with it. Being a member of the RF doesn't necessarily mean glamorous, expansive homes (in a country not known for large houses). Also, the RF are often more down-to-earth behind the scenes, as opposed to living in Hollywood luxury.

Though, having said all that, Harry & Meghan were very quickly gifted a much larger home in Windsor Castle grounds anyway (by which time, it seems, they were already planning their escape) - so why mention the cottage at all?!

Interesting comments in several above posts about the way social media has changed social interactions and the resulting impact on mental health. It can be very manipulative in the way it suggests illusory truths to people and creates challenging pressures and expectations. I'm starting really to miss a sense of more local and real community, but social media ways spill over and we're losing more and more community without - I think - people realising the reality of what we're losing.
You are correct on all counts, and I agree. Location, location, location! Plus new digs at KP were planned for Harry, probably with a nice, modern renovation to go with them. It’s only got two bedrooms, but Eugenie and family are making due (three of them). They will likely be upgraded when other apartments become available. I’d sure take it!

https://www.vogue.com/article/nottingham-cottage-prince-harry-meghan-markle

Last edited:
You are correct on all counts, and I agree. Location, location, location! Plus new digs at KP were planned for Harry, probably with a nice, modern renovation to go with them. It’s only got two bedrooms, but Eugenie and family are making due. They will likely be upgraded when other apartments become available. I’d sure take it!

https://www.vogue.com/article/nottingham-cottage-prince-harry-meghan-markle

Seems like they were complaining about it because they had just plain run out of other things to complain about. It sounded very petty.
I would LOVE to live as a newly-wed in a cottage at Kensington Palace!

I apologize for this. I wasn’t able to post yesterday during the Jackie K discussion, and I wanted to just say a few words about her.

She wasn’t home crying in her Cheerios while her husband was having affairs. She was a very busy lady, and it was pretty well speculated that she had many affairs of her own. Maybe she figured what was good for the goose was good for the gander? 🦆 Her feeling was that “I’m the one he comes home to”. She made choices, and was at the top of her game as a shrewd decision maker. When she was widowed in 1963 she was the First Lady of the United States of America, and when she passed away in 1994, she died as one of the world’s wealthiest women, the widow of shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis and having worked as a writer, editor and publisher for years.

I also imagine she could‘ve spilled a lot of beans on a lot of things quite easily, but chose not to, either.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/about-jfk/jfk-in-history/jacqueline-kennedy-in-the-white-house

https://www.jfklibrary.org/events-a...e-literary-life-of-jacqueline-kennedy-onassis

https://www.jfklibrary.org/learn/about-jfk/life-of-jacqueline-b-kennedy

William, Kate AND George lived there. And as you say it's only a small part of Kensington Palace, the grounds and all the extra buildings.

Interesting...the security in South Africa would definitely have been an issue from what I know. I only know from planning a two week trip that was cancelled in 2020 (now planning it for 2024...yay!), but crime is an issue in many parts of SA.

The more I learn about this whole situation with H&M and their exit...yes, it was surely a lot of toxic media aimed at them. But I also sense a deep rift that developed between the brothers, and surely William feeling that Harry was kind of leaving him to shoulder the whole burden, without help from him. I get that it was very hard on H&M, but it also has to be very hard on William and Kate.

It will be interesting to see if they are invited to the Coronation (which I can’t see that they can’t be without negative press) what stories H & M then come up with. They’ve had minimal contact from the time of the funeral apparently so no new fodder they can spill as “their truth” - let’s see if after the Coronation there is another documentary telling of more insults etc.

Interesting...the security in South Africa would definitely have been an issue from what I know. I only know from planning a two week trip that was cancelled in 2020 (now planning it for 2024...yay!), but crime is an issue in many parts of SA.

The more I learn about this whole situation with H&M and their exit...yes, it was surely a lot of toxic media aimed at them. But I also sense a deep rift that developed between the brothers, and surely William feeling that Harry was kind of leaving him to shoulder the whole burden, without help from him. I get that it was very hard on H&M, but it also has to be very hard on William and Kate.
I agree about it being hard on William and Kate who saw things moving so fast between H&M. Look how long they (William & Kate) dated before getting married.

TC :cool1:

It will be interesting to see if they are invited to the Coronation (which I can’t see that they can’t be without negative press) what stories H & M then come up with. They’ve had minimal contact from the time of the funeral apparently so no new fodder they can spill as “their truth” - let’s see if after the Coronation there is another documentary telling of more insults etc.
According to today's Daily Telegraph they have been invited to the Coronation.

ford family

H&M were in Canada beginning in November, 2019, continuing over Christmas/NYE '19 on "vacation". When it was discovered that they were in BC, Canadians were excited for them to be there. When it was discovered that they were moving permanently, Canadians were more excited. When it was discovered that H&M expected the Canadian government to pay for and provide security...... record screech. Canadian sentiment did a 180. On February 27, it was announced that the Canadian government wouldn't pay anymore as of March 31. It was forget it - pay your own way, you freeloaders. H&M moved to California in March.

National Post article

surely William feeling that Harry was kind of leaving him to shoulder the whole burden, without help from him.
But Harry was always like that. He was the spare heir. Yes close enough to the throne but it was always going to be William. Harry was a wild child for years with William being much more stoic. These are quite understandable. That feelings is much more likely to have always been felt by William and I can imagine Harry feeling like on the one hand he has more freedom on the other hand he's basically less important than William.

Watching footage and reading articles over time the biggest difference I see between brothers is outward vocal support towards spouses. I do think Harry gets a more negative viewpoint because he has stood up for Meghan very vocally. That has put him in a spotlight that he didn't have before with respects to a spouse.

Being really honest here over the years watching Kate I think she's a lovely woman but I think she runs that marriage with William. I'm not saying that in a negative way but Kate at times makes me think she has a side of her that is straight up aloofness she's just been brought up to hide that as best as possible. Meghan and Harry not so much. Yeah Harry was raised in royalty but his status meant differently when it comes to media image. It may be time for people to take a look back to the differences between the brothers and their lives before they got married.

According to today's Daily Telegraph they have been invited to the Coronation.

ford family
This does not surprise me. I'll bet they will be second row'ed again. And likely there will also be a repeat of having minders like Lady Sarah Chatto nearby.
It remains to be seen if they both will attend. Or will only H show up? Or neither? I'm sure the RF will be prepared for all possibilities.

But Harry was always like that. He was the spare heir. Yes close enough to the throne but it was always going to be William. Harry was a wild child for years with William being much more stoic. These are quite understandable. That feelings is much more likely to have always been felt by William and I can imagine Harry feeling like on the one hand he has more freedom on the other hand he's basically less important than William.

Watching footage and reading articles over time the biggest difference I see between brothers is outward vocal support towards spouses. I do think Harry gets a more negative viewpoint because he has stood up for Meghan very vocally. That has put him in a spotlight that he didn't have before with respects to a spouse.

Being really honest here over the years watching Kate I think she's a lovely woman but I think she runs that marriage with William. I'm not saying that in a negative way but Kate at times makes me think she has a side of her that is straight up aloofness she's just been brought up to hide that as best as possible. Meghan and Harry not so much. Yeah Harry was raised in royalty but his status meant differently when it comes to media image. It may be time for people to take a look back to the differences between the brothers and their lives before they got married.

Yes....good points. William couldn't be that "bad boy"....and so I get that he's got some resentment for sure towards his brother. Perhaps Harry could get away with those "bad boy" headlines, but William never could have done that. And perhaps William waited for his brother to "sow his wild oats" so to speak. They could be there together to do the work when Harry kind of grew up. When Harry did finally settle down with Meghan, well, to me...she *really* seems to be to kind of wear the pants in that duo.

I think Harry became kind of a third wheel with William and Kate. They did some charitable work together and so he was always with the two of them on the mental health work they were doing. When Harry met Meghan...he seemed to kind of step out on his own...as an individual and not one of the brothers. And yes he did stand up for his wife for sure. I find that to be an admirable trait. But I'm not so sure they've landed in a kind of "happy land" which is where the docuseries leaves us. I guess time will tell if "they've ended up where they've always belonged." We shall see.

To add, the article says that no formal invitation has been send yet, but an aide is quoted "all family members are welcome".
I mean...it would be kind of the last straw if they didn't go right? Maybe only Harry goes as it will be too much for Meghan, but if he doesn't go...that would seem to send a message that it's completely over.

Thank you for this. I don't think it is brought up enough just how mean it is to leave William and his family in the lurch. Prince Philip no way liked playing second fiddle, but he loved his country so much and had enough sense of duty that he considered a life of service to the Queen to be a worthwhile life.
Harry seems to have none of that. William and Kate have had to work doubly hard and to put their kids out front long before they would have wished to do so.

Me, I'd have a very hard time ever forgiving that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter