Harry and Meghan Netflix documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of thoughts reading others’ thoughts.

Meghan has previously said it was Harry’s aunt, Sara Ferguson, Duchess of York, who taught her to curtsy. :o

1670587249540.jpeg

No wonder she goes a little low there. :scratchin

In September, in front of the Queen’s coffin

1670587371238.jpeg

A lot of the commentary online from the people of the UK is that what Meghan said and demonstrated about the curtsy is disrespectful to the Queen. Fwiw.

1670588033587.jpeg

1670588373481.gif

Also, re Meghan’s niece, she is an attorney - so it’s not like she just crawled out from under a rock or something.

One thing that made me go hmmmmmmm. The show starts and someone opened with saying "I want to show you guys something." Then she opened a laptop to show a clip, (Meghan looked panicked), and proceeded to show them an old clip of Meghan being interviewed. The interviewer was asking questions like what is your favorite song?, who is your favorite actress etc. M is looking at the computer watching the old interview all confused and Harry was like, "do you remember this?" and Megan said 'No." Then the interviewer asks, "William or Harry?" and they giggle and Harry laughs. Of course she said "Harry." Meghan acts like she does not remember this interview and is all bewildered asking "what year was that?" Turns out it was 2015.

Now, I remember this clip surfacing when they were engaged (along with the clip of her sitting in front of Buckingham Palace) and she said she had no idea about Harry or the Royals etc. Her reactions to the clip just seemed sooooooooooo off to me. I feel like she knew exactly what that clip was when the interviewer played it but M was being coy and acting confused. Then Harry says, "This just shows how little you knew."

It just rubbed me wrong because the reactions seemed fake. For crying out loud it was only 7 years ago. Now, being fair, maybe she forgot, maybe she was embarrassed, maybe she truly had blocked it out of her memory but for some reason that set me off and made me bitter 😂

I am now team Kate.

Just a couple of thoughts reading others’ thoughts.

Meghan has previously said it was Harry’s aunt, Sara Ferguson, Duchess of York, who taught her to curtsy. :o

View attachment 723952

No wonder she goes a little low there. :scratchin

In September, in front of the Queen’s coffin

View attachment 723953

A lot of the commentary online from the people of the UK is that what Meghan said and demonstrated about the curtsy is disrespectful to the Queen. Fwiw.

View attachment 723958

View attachment 723960

Also, re Meghan’s niece, she is an attorney - so it’s not like she just crawled out from under a rock or something.
This is where you all are going to have to either explain it to me like I’m five and/or excuse me for being a dumb American… What is disrespectful (to anybody, let alone the queen) about reenacting a curtsy while retelling a story? Bear in mind, I only watched that scene once and I didn’t sit there and analyze every detail, but that part got a light chuckle from me and it didn’t come across as disrespectful in any way. It struck me as Meghan poking fun at herself more than anything as she described what was a fish-out-of-water moment for her.

Funnily, I felt like I could relate to it on some level because I was once in a situation where a child in Japan, only about 4 or 5 years old, curtsied to me to express gratitude for something I had done. It took my brain a second to process what was happening, then my next thought was “Wait, people really do this?” followed by a minor internal freak out as I wondered if I was supposed to do something in return. It was so awkward! It left me a bit stunned and I later had to ask my husband if I handled it okay.

I’ve retold that story to friends and family before and, yes, I’ve included a reenactment of how the girl abruptly stiffened and clicked her heels together before kneeling into the curtsy, and guess what? I meant absolutely no disrespect to that sweet child. The whole thing is, in my mind, just a funny story about that time I was caught off guard by a curtsy and curtsy protocols. Because really, how many Americans have ever been in the position to give or receive a curtsy and it not be a joke or a part of a child’s game?

I saw this scene as lighthearted and mildly amusing. That others (British media, angry internet commenters in general) see it as some deep disrespect thrown at the Queen leaves me wondering if some people are just looking for things to be offended by.

I don't know why everyone hates them so much. I watched and enjoyed. I understand where they are coming from and feel so much compassion for Harry and all that he has gone through.
I fully see why he would want to protect Meghan from what his mom went through.

One thing that made me go hmmmmmmm. The show starts and someone opened with saying "I want to show you guys something." Then she opened a laptop to show a clip, (Meghan looked panicked), and proceeded to show them an old clip of Meghan being interviewed. The interviewer was asking questions like what is your favorite song?, who is your favorite actress etc. M is looking at the computer watching the old interview all confused and Harry was like, "do you remember this?" and Megan said 'No." Then the interviewer asks, "William or Harry?" and they giggle and Harry laughs. Of course she said "Harry." Meghan acts like she does not remember this interview and is all bewildered asking "what year was that?" Turns out it was 2015.

Now, I remember this clip surfacing when they were engaged (along with the clip of her sitting in front of Buckingham Palace) and she said she had no idea about Harry or the Royals etc. Her reactions to the clip just seemed sooooooooooo off to me. I feel like she knew exactly what that clip was when the interviewer played it but M was being coy and acting confused. Then Harry says, "This just shows how little you knew."

It just rubbed me wrong because the reactions seemed fake. For crying out loud it was only 7 years ago. Now, being fair, maybe she forgot, maybe she was embarrassed, maybe she truly had blocked it out of her memory but for some reason that set me off and made me bitter 😂

I am now team Kate.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...sex-fascinated-Royals-says-childhood-pal.html

Shortly before Meghan and Prince Harry's wedding in 2018, Ninaki Priddy, the duchess' childhood best friend and maid of honour at her first wedding to Trevor Engelson, told the Daily Mail: '[Meghan] was always fascinated by the royal family. She wants to be Princess Diana 2.0.'

A picture of a 15-year-old Meghan posing in front of Buckingham Palace, with friend Ninaki, during a European trip in 1996, previously emerged before the duchess' big day.

Speaking in 2018, Ninaki, whose friendship with Meghan ended before the duchess began seeing Prince Harry, said: 'I know the royal family was something she found fascinating.

Let’s also not forget that Meghan also has a bachelor’s degree from Northwestern University in Theater and International Relations!

I have 2 unrelated H & M opinions.

1) I'm sure as an actress Meghan is used to being the center of attention. She thought this would carry over to the Royal Family and she'd still be #1. That didn't work out as she planned.

2) For people that claim all they want is privacy, they sure have a funny way of going about it.

This is where you all are going to have to either explain it to me like I’m five and/or excuse me for being a dumb American… What is disrespectful (to anybody, let alone the queen) about reenacting a curtsy while retelling a story? Bear in mind, I only watched that scene once and I didn’t sit there and analyze every detail, but that part got a light chuckle from me and it didn’t come across as disrespectful in any way. It struck me as Meghan poking fun at herself more than anything as she described what was a fish-out-of-water moment for her.

Funnily, I felt like I could relate to it on some level because I was once in a situation where a child in Japan, only about 4 or 5 years old, curtsied to me to express gratitude for something I had done. It took my brain a second to process what was happening, then my next thought was “Wait, people really do this?” followed by a minor internal freak out as I wondered if I was supposed to do something in return. It was so awkward! It left me a bit stunned and I later had to ask my husband if I handled it okay.

I’ve retold that story to friends and family before and, yes, I’ve included a reenactment of how the girl abruptly stiffened and clicked her heels together before kneeling into the curtsy, and guess what? I meant absolutely no disrespect to that sweet child. The whole thing is, in my mind, just a funny story about that time I was caught off guard by a curtsy and curtsy protocols. Because really, how many Americans have ever been in the position to give or receive a curtsy and it not be a joke or a part of a child’s game?

I saw this scene as lighthearted and mildly amusing. That others (British media, angry internet commenters in general) see it as some deep disrespect thrown at the Queen leaves me wondering if some people are just looking for things to be offended by.
Hey, I’m just a dumb American, too :teeth: so I’m not sure I completely understand it, either. And I have not seen the actual clip. My comments were an observation of comments. That said, from what I gather, they feel it was deeply disrespectful to the Queen, who dedicated her life to service to the country, and longstanding traditions of reverence.

Here is an example from today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-former-chef-joins-wave-angry-royal-fans.html

Gonna give it a try, although I am sure part of it is that this is one of the few things that the tabloids can pick on. Although, an Australian critic saw it as an attack as well.

As with everything they do, it is not what they say, it is how they say it.
The century old tradition of a bow or curtsy to the queen is a sign of respect. A sign of respect is not something to mock. By exagerrating and comparing it to a cheesy US dinner show, Meghan gives off an air "Oh my God, these traditions are sooooo stupid!" And not necessarily making fun of herself, "I was such a clutch."

If she would ever be in the presence of Charles or Camilla again, or in the future William or Kate, and she makes a curtsy, this is the image everyone will be thinking of. Knowing what she thinks (or seems to think) about their traditions is something she should have kept to herself.

If they had had a British Director it is unlikely this was included or included in this way. This is subtext an American probably can't pick up. It is likely that Meghan and Liz thought the same way you did, or thought that it would appeal to the US audience. And I think Harry just agreed with it them.

I am trying to think of an American equivalent. Is there something with the president or an army officer being saluted by soldiers?
Or, Harry who on veteran's day staged an inspection of soldiers at Pearl Harbour? I believe that's a new little scandal.

Last edited:
Hey, I’m just a dumb American, too :teeth: so I’m not sure I completely understand it, either. And I have not seen the actual clip. My comments were an observation of comments. That said, from what I gather, they feel it was deeply disrespectful to the Queen, who dedicated her life to service to the country, and longstanding traditions of reverence.

Here is an example from today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-former-chef-joins-wave-angry-royal-fans.html
Oh, I have no doubt there are countless angry mobs because this is H&M we’re talking about here, but again, I took it as Meghan mocking herself and her own discomfort in that scene. I didn’t interpret it as anything negative towards the queen or British traditions at all.

1. Meghan's curtsy
Most tabloids, but also other news sources see it as a veiled attack on the monarchy's traditons. How she exaggerated her curtsy and comparing it to a US Medieval Times dinner, really didn't come across well.

She didn't have to curtsy at all, and still wouldn't. She isn't a subject of the monarchy, and never has been. It would take years for her to become a citizen, and now she can't do it at all because she doesn't live in the UK.

This was a topic in Michelle Obama's book, when she hugged the queen. She was supposed to shake the queen's hand, but wait for the queen to extend her hand or some crap. Even I know that and I didn't even read the book. I'm sure this was on Meghan's radar. Honestly, I think refusing to curtsy would have been a better approach, if she had known where her branding would end up as rebel against monarchy, which spoiler alert is old-fashioned and racist.

Honestly, her "I'm a hugger" with Kate story was channeling Michelle Obama to me.

Last edited:
Not a hard core royal watcher (as in MUST see or must see now), might watch this down the road when I need some background noise. I look at it as one more PR piece for themselves to be relevant and no doubt make some money. I do think it needs to be classified as something other than a documentary because it doesn't meet the standards. It is not based on facts or documentation but rather two persons' view of events. This is more like scripted reality tv. They have had plenty of time to create "their story".

I did see about 10 minutes of an interview months ago with just Harry and it was striking in two ways. The first 5 minutes he spoke of his Mom's death and how it impacted him and I realized he is highly traumatized by her death to a point he came off as an unhealthy adult. Many children lose parents, they lose them to traumatic ways and have major adjustments growing up. He never had to worry about losing his home, losing his school or friends, losing his lifestyle and had already lots of spent time away from his Mom. His loss was a human being, a mother, I get that, I lost my Dad as a "kid" but the mental damage he brings forward is extreme. Part of that might be the public loss I get but as an adult he is really holding on to things in an unhealthy way. I really felt for his inability to move forward.

The second 5 minutes he completely lost me and kinda devalued what he said the first five minutes. He went on and on comparing Meghan to his Mom. Yes, his love for them both can be compared but the people themselves are completely different. Couldn't be more different! He feared Meghan would be killed just like his Mom because .... It really showed he lives in some alternate reality of where his mother came from and what she became, and how important she was to the entire world ..... to where his wife was, is and will be. The break from reality there ... could be for many reasons, none are healthy.

Even a casual watcher could see by time Harry was a teen that he was going to do everything he could to disrupt the royal family and hope to get himself kicked out. He clearly has issues with his father, I get it, Charles did Diana dirty and should never have been in line to be king BUT all Harry can do is make decisions for himself since he was just the spare. He constantly engaged in behavior to embarrass them. I think they bent over backwards to just let him do him and hope that one day he'd grow up and out of it and settle in. I think no one is surprised he would find someone to marry that had as much baggage as possible so again, he could be let go from his royal responsibility. Meghan was a jackpot: DIVORCED, AMERICAN, ACTRESS, BI-RACIAL. She filled a need for him and hopefully he loves her for her and not her "negative" attributes.

Meghan, I really have no interest in her as she really is not interesting. She did however want it all and things come back to haunt her like the story of her not knowing who the royals are only to find out she was a big royal watcher. Harry is not unrecognizable and she wasn't Cinderella, so none of her "innocence" work. She probably thought she could act her way through royal events without realizing when you are royal it is a 24 hour job. I complete agree with those who say most everyone would present themselves decent when meeting his royal family so was she trying to rock their boat, make it clear she was not going to do as expected or did Harry tell her to dress that way setting her up for his fight? She was his perfect ticket out and how much was her actions OR him using her OR likely a combination of both.

Who knows, I don't think we will ever hear anything but their stories. Charles just needs to cut them off completely (titles and all). They have shown over and over their distain and with the Queen gone it will only get worse. Sometimes you just can't fix some things and Harry has been on this path of destruction a long time. Let them forge their own way once and for all. Maybe they will grow up, stop their whining and find a way to support themselves as they claim they wanted to do.

They are 41 and 38 years old ~ act like it. Stop the talk and walk the walk!

The century old tradition of a bow or curtsy to the queen is a sign of respect. A sign of respect is not something to mock. By exagerrating and comparing it to a cheesy US dinner show, Meghan gives off an air "Oh my God, these traditions are sooooo stupid!" And not necessarily making fun of herself, "I was such a clutch."

It's a sign of respect to their head of state. Meghan wasn't (and isn't) a UK citizen, she didn't have to curtsy at all.

This is like a Brit putting both hands on their heart for the pledge of allegiance. They don't have to do the pledge at all, this isn't even their country. And that isn't even how we do it.

I haven’t seen it, but think I would like to watch it. I am knee deep in Christmas prep right now, but the week between Christmas and New Years is usually a nice week to relax a bit. Pretty sure we have Netflix.

She didn't have to curtsy at all, and still wouldn't. She isn't a subject of the monarchy, and never has been. It would take years for her to become a citizen, and now she can't do it at all because she doesn't live in the UK.

This was a topic in Michelle Obama's book, when she hugged the queen. She was supposed to shake the queen's hand, but wait for the queen to extend her hand or some crap. I'm sure this was on Meghan's radar. Honestly, I think that would have been a better approach, if she had known where her branding would end up as rebel against monarchy, which spoiler alert is old-fashioned and racist.
She was going to be a British subject. She never finished her immigration process.

Even if she never became a British subject, and Megxit never happened, the family and the people of the UK would have expected that she would follow traditions. Especially if you want your (future) family in law to like you.
If she had said from the beginning "I will not give this sign of respect, because I am not a British citizen," it would be seen as rejecting the entire royal family and what it stands for.

It wasn't on Meghan's radar as she didnt know she would meet the queen till 5 minutes before and Harry told her that the formalities go on behind closed doors and that it was not an act for the public, as Meghan thought.

I am sure if a Brit married the President of the US he/she would follow the traditions that come with that position.

When you join a family or a position, regardless of it is a royal or presidential one, you follow their rules and traditions. Whether you have to or not. Who of us don't do certain things at Grandma's house because they are important to Grandma. When I was younger I always wore a skirt or a dress when visiting my grandparents, because my grandfather had some old-fashioned views. It is not a hill i wanted to die on, it was important to someone I loved and therefore I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter