• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

has anyone ever...

See, now I thought the OP meant, like when you got home did you get a video of parents beating there kids, or a couple doing it or something like that.

I got 50 minutes of wheelchair spokes going round and round when I thought I shut the camera off and put in under DH chair, back in 1985. You can hear what we are saying when we do not know the camera is on. Good thing we where nice.

I tape most things. I do believe it's alright unless they ask you not to.

Sarahsmom85...ya made me LMAO!!! I have several minutes on several different tapes of the lens cap or the sidewalk or my hip.... all the while we're blabbing away! :rolleyes: :teeth:

Originally posted by kilee
For the sake of arguement--- I have POC on tape-- the whole thing. I did ask the CM boarding us, and was told as long as I didn't use any external lighting it was okay. We have a nightvision option and used that (which doesn't require any extra lighting)-- also we didn't use the screen. However, it really isn't that great. You can only tape one side at a time, and it really doesn't give you the feel for the ride. To be truthful we always fast forward by it. Maybe my CM was wrong, but we do have it.
I had the opposite experience. I started taping on Pirates with my Sony with nightshot on (no visible light, but it uses infrared or something obviously) and the voice of God came over the loudspeaker early in the ride saying "Please put the camera away". And you're right about it not being worth it - I'm not sure why I was even bothering to tape it except at the time the camera was new and I was playing with my new toy.

My parents started taking us to WDW in early 80's. My father lugged around a video camera with the enormous battery pack for years filming us and rides.

Now that I'm the one with the children, I video and take pictures ( I guess it's a rite of passage). I have taken video of many rides and photographed many shows.

My simple rule is... don't be intruisive or disruptive to the show or the people riding or watching. I consider flash photography in a dark show rude, but at the same time, taking video is not intrusive.

Twenty plus years by that rule of thumb and we've never had a problem.

This is kinda off-topic, but while we're on the topic of using flash photography when you're not supposed to... Last time we were in Orlando we went to Sea World, and there was an exhibit penguins we went to see. It was during their winter (?) (maybe) and to keep them in a real habitat, Sea World has all the lights dimmed as there is no sun up North during the winter months (or something like that :)) Anyhow, there were SEVERAL big signs saying NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY and even a person at the door reminding us again. The signs even said that flashes could severely upset and disturb the penguins habitat and schedule. ANYHOW (sorry for the rambling) the moron next to us starts flashing away as soon as we get out of sight from the personnel. I was SO STEAMED and angrily asked him if he had not read the signs. He got hateful w/me and kept taking pictures. Unfortunately nobody from Sea World caught him or saw him though I did report him on our way out. Anyhow, :) just wanted to share that story since we were talking about flash photos and where they were/weren't allowed.:sunny:

oh and I also agree with the person who said don't try and tape everything. Our 2nd trip to WDW, we took our video camera and DH rigged it up to go around his waist for easy access. #1: He was miserable trying to catch the kids doing cute things after the first hour of doing it. #2: it was bulky to try and carry on rides, but we didn't want to leave it in the stroller b/c we were afraid it would get stolen. After the first day, we left it at the condo. This time back, I don't think we're even taking it. A small 35 mm camera will do the trick. Just a suggestion!

Yes but what about taping everything for those in your family who might not be able to go or ever able to go due to either finanial matters or health reasons. I believe that if they can't go and share the magic, that the magic should come to them.

Originally posted by crow11ad
Yes but what about taping everything for those in your family who might not be able to go or ever able to go due to either finanial matters or health reasons. I believe that if they can't go and share the magic, that the magic should come to them.

Ummm...trust me....they aren't going to get the same "magic" that you had. If you can't go, then you can't go. I mean, it's not like Disney World is a necessity of life (although many of us would say it should be).

I also wanted to comment on the idea of intrusiveness. A) What if I don't want to be in YOUR family videos? B) I see too many parents interupting their children by saying, "Look at the camera." Or continually calling out there name to get a shot. Or asking stupid questions so that they will have some sort of "cuteness" on tape. "Are you having fun?" (I was until you stopped me every five minutes and stuck a videocamera in my face. :) ) I think a plain old camera is a better choice for photos with characters and things like that. But even a regular camera can be used in excess.

Ali

By intrusiveness, I meant not bothering the characters in the show or other families around us on the ride, etc.

I don't ask my children to pose in videos, I video them live and candid to help preserve the memory for later on in life.

As for being intrusive with my family, if I were, that right has been reserved to me by being a parent :-)

Having said that, this question was posed, because someone was curious about where it is o.k. to take photograghs or videotape in the park. Not about a video takers methods with their family. Personal preference is your preference, but speaking of that has diverted from the thread topic.

Sorry...I could've started a new topic I suppose but I do see the connection between the original post and where the conversation has gone. He asked about people taking videos where they weren't supposed to and I expressed my view that I thought it was rude and that even where you are allowed to take videos that there is a certain etiquette. So that's about all I have to say. No need in starting a new thread.

Ali

Have to say Disney are alot nicer about videoing than USF and IOA. We've surreptitiously videoed most things at Disney, (although poc was a complete waste of time, far too dark!) with no problems. We never use lights, and flash photography really iritates me (especially when they've been told not to do it). USF/IOA is another matter though. There's hardly anywhere you are actually allowed to video. I made the mistake of trying to video the Cat in the Hat once. I didn't notice any signs saying not to do it, but the voice of god appeared and told me to put it any in no uncertain terms.
Ian

Originally posted by Chica650
This is kinda off-topic, but while we're on the topic of using flash photography when you're not supposed to... Last time we were in Orlando we went to Sea World, and there was an exhibit penguins we went to see. It was during their winter (?) (maybe) and to keep them in a real habitat, Sea World has all the lights dimmed as there is no sun up North during the winter months (or something like that :)) Anyhow, there were SEVERAL big signs saying NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY and even a person at the door reminding us again. The signs even said that flashes could severely upset and disturb the penguins habitat and schedule. ANYHOW (sorry for the rambling) the moron next to us starts flashing away as soon as we get out of sight from the personnel. I was SO STEAMED and angrily asked him if he had not read the signs. He got hateful w/me and kept taking pictures. Unfortunately nobody from Sea World caught him or saw him though I did report him on our way out. Anyhow, :) just wanted to share that story since we were talking about flash photos and where they were/weren't allowed.:sunny:

Some people just don't care about anyone or anything but themselves. I really don't like these people. :mad:

Thanks for this post, you have reminded me to go find out how to shut the flash off on my digital. I will need to practice with it. Hope i get it right so the flash doesn't go off.

P.S. some of the best pictures i got where of my family sitting in the seats of a 3d show BEFORE the show starts with the 3D glasses on. You don't need to get the show to get the action.

Now where did I put that camera instructions book?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter