Has LL weakened the DAS

mjr0483

DIS Veteran
Reading some comments on Twitter today that the LL broke Space Mountain and that CM were informaing guest in the LL that the LL wait is 20 to 30 minutes.
Basically LL makes the standby line longer and they are overselling LL and the LL lines are much longer.

It got me thinking, is the DAS system is suffereing even further from Genie+?
Since now the DAS guest is waiting double. Not only waiting longer due to increased standby lines, then when they return the LL is way longer thant it ever was.

I haven't witnessed this first hand. But there is enough evidence around to draw a conclusion that Genie+ and LL have killed the DAS.

It was similar with FP+. I haven't read any reports that seem worse due to G+ and I$LLs. During the year-plus with very limited access to the FP+/LL queue, things did move faster. But that was considered temporary.
I know this is DL, but.
Simlar but different. I don't remember FP+ waits of 30 minutes before. I saw a tweet that said the LL is the new standby. I know parks are at capacity. But this seems like a double hit to DAShe FP+ lines were long, but they moved quickly..
The FP+ lines were long, but they moved quickly. This seems to be way different.
See link below and the LL pictures.
Lightning Lane has basically broken Space Mountain.

I know this is DL, but.
Simlar but different. I don't remember FP+ waits of 30 minutes before. I saw a tweet that said the LL is the new standby. I know parks are at capacity. But this seems like a double hit to DAShe FP+ lines were long, but they moved quickly..
The FP+ lines were long, but they moved quickly. This seems to be way different.
See link below and the LL pictures.
Lightning Lane has basically broken Space Mountain.
We are big Disneyland goers. We have had long waits in the maxpass/fastpass days if a ride was broken down and return times were backed up on busy days, especially weekends. ESPECIALLY for Rise of the Resistance. I don't think this a specific Genie+/LL problem, I think this problem existed before with DAS as well. But truthfully it's not a "problem", more of something that can happen occasionally.

Reading some comments on Twitter today that the LL broke Space Mountain and that CM were informaing guest in the LL that the LL wait is 20 to 30 minutes.
Basically LL makes the standby line longer and they are overselling LL and the LL lines are much longer.

Since now the DAS guest is waiting double. Not only waiting longer due to increased standby lines, then when they return the LL is way longer thant it ever was.

I haven't witnessed this first hand. But there is enough evidence around to draw a conclusion that Genie+ and LL have killed the DAS.

Waiting 20-30 minutes in the LL queue is not waiting double, unless the standby queue is also 20-30 minutes, which would make no sense. If the DAS is still 10 minutes less than standby time, then the DAS holder is waiting at most, 15 minutes? Back when it was FP+, it took at least 5 minutes to tap in and walk through the queue. The DAS holder is free to do other things while waiting, unlike the guests in standby. They can also use genie+ and LL to maximize access to attractions.

What evidence? A couple of pictures and some anecdotes?

The DAS has not been "killed", and is still a big advantage.

Yes, it has led to longer wait times once you scan in.

That said, on more than one occasion, most recently last Saturday, when asking a cast member at a kiosk for a return time (because we were going to the other park), the CMs have worked some magic and shaved significant amounts of time off rides that have waits over an hour. We were given a return time 35 minutes later when the Soarin standby queue was 80 minutes. We were given a 25 minute return on a 60 minute wait, and we were given a 60 minute return time on a 90 minute wait. I feel like they are trying to offset the longer LL rides by doing this, but when you use the app, it's the return time minus 10 minutes every time.

Yes, it has led to longer wait times once you scan in.

That said, on more than one occasion, most recently last Saturday, when asking a cast member at a kiosk for a return time (because we were going to the other park), the CMs have worked some magic and shaved significant amounts of time off rides that have waits over an hour. We were given a return time 35 minutes later when the Soarin standby queue was 80 minutes. We were given a 25 minute return on a 60 minute wait, and we were given a 60 minute return time on a 90 minute wait. I feel like they are trying to offset the longer LL rides by doing this, but when you use the app, it's the return time minus 10 minutes every time.

And that's the problem with letting CMs have that kind of discretion, IMO.

FWIW, I read a similar report elsewhere a week or so ago, and they were getting return times through the app

Oh, that's interesting!

Maybe the system is somehow getting updated standby waits before it gets reflected in the app. I'll have to keep a closer eye on our return times through the app.

Oh, that's interesting!

Maybe the system is somehow getting updated standby waits before it gets reflected in the app. I'll have to keep a closer eye on our return times through the app.
To be fair, I have no idea if this was world or land, they didn't say and it was a general group. But they said the times they were pulling from the app were never more than 45 minutes even if the ride return was longer

I don’t know the answer to the question I just know that the DAS was the only thing that helped us enjoy ANYTHING. The 2 days we bought D+ and one time we bought a LL$ pass, we never got to use either, not once bcz for D+, ALL selections were either gone by noon, or the few that were left were late afternoon or evening and our ASD son would NOT make it that late. As it is, we only got to do 1-3 attractions a day over 2 WEEKS from March 2-14th. We even paid for the ROTR LL and because the time changes between when you start your purchase and finish no matter how fast and set up you are, we didn’t get to use that either because our son couldn’t make it the extra 5 hours that was added in WH et n we bought it. I admit, I am still really raw about paying $180 for something we couldn’t even use. 😡😡😡

I don’t know the answer to the question I just know that the DAS was the only thing that helped us enjoy ANYTHING. The 2 days we bought D+ and one time we bought a LL$ pass, we never got to use either, not once bcz for D+, ALL selections were either gone by noon, or the few that were left were late afternoon or evening and our ASD son would NOT make it that late. As it is, we only got to do 1-3 attractions a day over 2 WEEKS from March 2-14th. We even paid for the ROTR LL and because the time changes between when you start your purchase and finish no matter how fast and set up you are, we didn’t get to use that either because our son couldn’t make it the extra 5 hours that was added in WH et n we bought it. I admit, I am still really raw about paying $180 for something we couldn’t even use. 😡😡😡
Just so you know, many people who have had experiences similar to yours shared they were able to go to guest services and get refunds.

What is D+? Do you mean Genie+?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the LL wait times are more often over 10 minutes than they were in the past. Though I don’t think it’s because they are overselling Genie +. I think it is more likely more people are using DAS.

In the past there were families that were eligible for DAS, but didn’t get it because the three FP per day were enough to make Disney work for them. In addition, the pandemic increased the number of people who find crowds in lines impossible to navigate.

I'm new to this, so apologies if this isn't the best post to ask, but if we have DAS, which line do we get in when it's our return time...I'm guessing the LL line?

The DAS return line is the lightening lane.

while there is some waiting involved in the lightening lane, it is nowhere near what the standby lane is! For us DAS saved our vacation. I didn’t measure the wait time in line, but it was easily manageable for us. I imagine that it could be difficult for some other types of disabilities than mine, but I saw cast members taking the occasional group onto the ride through the exit. I do not know the circumstances for why this was happening, but in general, it appeared to be for the purposes of accommodating the guest (admittedly I am making assumptions here). All in all, I like the DAS. By returning through the lightening lane, the other guests had no idea that we were not using genie plus.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the LL wait times are more often over 10 minutes than they were in the past. Though I don’t think it’s because they are overselling Genie +. I think it is more likely more people are using DAS.

In the past there were families that were eligible for DAS, but didn’t get it because the three FP per day were enough to make Disney work for them. In addition, the pandemic increased the number of people who find crowds in lines impossible to navigate.

No, it's not due to more DAS guests, at least at Disneyland. It's due to Genie+. You can tell the DAS guests when they scan in, because the light turns blue, beeps and blinks, and a CM has to hit a button to allow the other barcodes to scan in. If you sit and watch a LL entry point, you won't see this happen THAT often. It's scan, green light, go.

We use DAS. We go every week. I see this play out numerous times every visit. The DAS is not being used as much as in the past. They have actually made it more difficult to obtain one than before the pandemic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter