Hawaii COVID Testing

I definitely agree with you Pete. I’m a doctor here in New Jersey and I can tell you that the number of hospitalizations is definitely not like what it was in April, however it’s creeping up. That said, my biggest fear is that the governor here and more specifically governor Ige in HI will impose new restrictions just in time for Christmas. That’s why we have a couple of different back up plans in case so HI doesn’t work out.
Us too as we are attending this time for CME (myself & 2 of my NP colleagues). One of those back-ups is doing the CME from home... We have only scheduled our Hawaii CME 3 times... 😢

I definitely agree with you Pete. I’m a doctor here in New Jersey and I can tell you that the number of hospitalizations is definitely not like what it was in April, however it’s creeping up. That said, my biggest fear is that the governor here and more specifically governor Ige in HI will impose new restrictions just in time for Christmas. That’s why we have a couple of different back up plans in case so HI doesn’t work out.

I believe your fear of new restrictions is well-founded. The poor people of Hawaii have suffered a great deal, and new restrictions would be devastating to them, not just to tourists like us. I'm a data nerd so I checked the CDC website yesterday and was stunned to see that 281 Hawaiians have lost their lives to COVID this year, but 542 Hawaiians died from the flu in 2018. I think the state's response has lost all perspective and that's not a political statement, just a human one.

We were just catching up and saw the news release last week about the new trusted partners. The release says that the new tests are accepted starting on November 17th. Does anyone know if that means tests administered on or after November 17th or is based on arrival? If a test was done today on the 16th, for arrival on the 18th, does that work? Looking for a phone number to call and ask, but havent found one yet. We have new options for a rapid test in our area, so this might help relieve some anxiety as we could do a back-up test in the event things go wrong with UPS and Vault.

For anyone in the Seattle area, the University of Washington Medical Center labs were added to the trusted list. They provided the testing at the King County / Seattle City drive up and walk up testing sites. They advertise it as a free test (if you have insurance or medicare they do ask for that however) and that results are returned within 48 hours. So that is what we are planning to do as well as the Vault test just to have a backup.

I just found this: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-oakland-international-airport-301173070.html

But I'm still confused why none of us have received an email. We booked ours a long time ago (probably a month?). When did you guys @clansac @Melanie M book?

We booked mid October. Unfortunately, you can't book rapid tests anymore and it's all a mess. Because I also have a 17 year old, our Kaiser won't work because we would need the results from the office on a Saturday and they said they can't help. We ended up cancelling everything yesterday ☹️ now trying to sort out what to do with DVC points that expire in January and have been rebooked four times this year. Man I wanted a beach so bad!

We booked mid October. Unfortunately, you can't book rapid tests anymore and it's all a mess. Because I also have a 17 year old, our Kaiser won't work because we would need the results from the office on a Saturday and they said they can't help. We ended up cancelling everything yesterday ☹ now trying to sort out what to do with DVC points that expire in January and have been rebooked four times this year. Man I wanted a beach so bad!

Why can't you guys do the vault test? You order those online and send them through the mail.

Yep - UC-San Diego added for us too. Nice to see wider trusted centers.
Hoping UCLA or UC Irvine get added soon! I am in LA and one of the big things making me worry about my trip to Maui in December is getting the results back in time. I would be more comfortable if I knew the actual test would be conducted at the same location so no shipping delays.

We booked mid October. Unfortunately, you can't book rapid tests anymore and it's all a mess. Because I also have a 17 year old, our Kaiser won't work because we would need the results from the office on a Saturday and they said they can't help. We ended up cancelling everything yesterday ☹ now trying to sort out what to do with DVC points that expire in January and have been rebooked four times this year. Man I wanted a beach so bad!
I’m so sorry to hear this. I did find out that we won’t be able to get rapid tests and will have to pay a fee now. Such a bummet.

We are in NJ as well and plan on being in Aulani over Christmas. We had a back up planned for Cabo but if I didn't cancel by Nov 8, we were subjected to loss of a refund. Scrambling now to have another back up - we were thinking Aruba or Turks. What is your back up if you don't mind me asking.

So obviously the first choice would be HI. Hoping that works out! Back up plan would be Disney World which as you know is on the quarantine list from NJ so maybe that’s not even an option anyway. Apart from that we haven’t made a third back up plan unless we go to some place that’s driving distance from here (I.e. cold). I feel a little uneasy about leaving the US but Turks and Caicos sounds amazing. Hope we can all end up in Hawaii!

About 24hrs. Keep us updated!!

Ok here is my update:

My OAK-HNL flight was at 7:40am pacific. Kaiser results had not arrived when I got to the airport around 6:15am. Outside the airport, there was a sign for COVID testing, so went to inquire. $120 for the test with results same day via CityHealth Urgent Care, which is allowed by Hawaii. Test was taken at 6:30am and was told it would take around 8-12 hours. The nurse suggested that we wait at the airport upon landing until the test results came back to avoid the mandatory quarantine.

Boarded the flight, got to Hawaii, and upon landing, no results yet. So I waited. And waited. The airport personnel were awesome. So nice, and would check in periodically. After waiting for a few hours, I did speak with the supervisor there. My main concerns were going into quarantine awaiting results, uploading them, only to wait days for a manual approval. He stated that the system is setup to auto-approve results, but not in all cases. My gf’s results didn’t auto-approve. I didn’t want to take that chance and continued to wait. We landed at 11am local Hawaii time. At around 3pm, the fire alarm went off, and so I had to leave and go thru the quarantine process.

Results from CityHealth Urgent Care came in at 6:15pm Hawaii time, about 14 hours after they were taken. Results were uploaded and of course, the system did not auto-approve me. I’m planning to drive back to the airport today and see if someone there can do it.

Thankfully, my gf is free to walk around and was able to pickup dinner across the street. It kinda makes no sense that she doesn’t have to quarantine since we are sharing a room, but whatever lol.

Can’t complain about being quarantined with this view! (Argh no idea why it is upside down haha, it was fine on my iPad).

Attachments

• 049AB672-2E69-41E3-83B2-4C3B0A43A525.jpeg
    049AB672-2E69-41E3-83B2-4C3B0A43A525.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 28
Ok here is my update:

My OAK-HNL flight was at 7:40am pacific. Kaiser results had not arrived when I got to the airport around 6:15am. Outside the airport, there was a sign for COVID testing, so went to inquire. $120 for the test with results same day via CityHealth Urgent Care, which is allowed by Hawaii. Test was taken at 6:30am and was told it would take around 8-12 hours. The nurse suggested that we wait at the airport upon landing until the test results came back to avoid the mandatory quarantine.

Boarded the flight, got to Hawaii, and upon landing, no results yet. So I waited. And waited. The airport personnel were awesome. So nice, and would check in periodically. After waiting for a few hours, I did speak with the supervisor there. My main concerns were going into quarantine awaiting results, uploading them, only to wait days for a manual approval. He stated that the system is setup to auto-approve results, but not in all cases. My gf’s results didn’t auto-approve. I didn’t want to take that chance and continued to wait. We landed at 11am local Hawaii time. At around 3pm, the fire alarm went off, and so I had to leave and go thru the quarantine process.

Results from CityHealth Urgent Care came in at 6:15pm Hawaii time, about 14 hours after they were taken. Results were uploaded and of course, the system did not auto-approve me. I’m planning to drive back to the airport today and see if someone there can do it.

Thankfully, my gf is free to walk around and was able to pickup dinner across the street. It kinda makes no sense that she doesn’t have to quarantine since we are sharing a room, but whatever lol.

Can’t complain about being quarantined with this view! (Argh no idea why it is upside down haha, it was fine on my iPad).
Appreciate this update - so was your girlfriend able to rent (assuming you guys rented a car maybe not) the car and then drive you straight to the hotel? Trying to find out what would happen if one got the results and one didn't. (just me and my husband)

Why can't you guys do the vault test? You order those online and send them through the mail.
A few reasons- we didn't want to pay extra for the tests, when they would be free otherwise. Also- Our flight was at 7am on a Sunday morning, so we had to do the tests Thursday morning to be in the 72 hour window- but our UPS stores locally are very unreliable about their opening times right now. Maybe we'd find one open between 8:30am and 10am on Thursday- maybe not. It was all too close to call, as soon as the rapid test dissolved and Kaiser wouldn't guarantee results for my minor could be in our hands before the flight.

Ok here is my update:

Oh goodness, what a hassle! Sorry you weren't able to avoid quarantine but love the view. We are doing the $120 CityHealth expedited route on Saturday at OAK (Earhart site) for a Monday morning flight (we originally had the free instant tests which are no longer available). What time did your Kaiser results finally show up? How long did it take them to manually approve your GF?

I hope I am ok with the tests I have scheduled. Does anyone know if Hawaii is still accepting the rapid (POC) test from Walgreens? Walgreens describes the test as NAAT (ID NOW) and you get your test within 24 hours. Also, on Walgreen's site it says that it is accepted. I'm just nervous because of others saying their rapid testing from other providers is being cancelled. This is all so fluid and I don't want to get caught in limbo. We leave for Hawaii on Sunday.

Appreciate this update - so was your girlfriend able to rent (assuming you guys rented a car maybe not) the car and then drive you straight to the hotel? Trying to find out what would happen if one got the results and one didn't. (just me and my husband)
Yes, I did change the car rental reservation to her name the night before (and it also ended up to be $20 cheaper than when I booked it). The rental agency does not allow quarantined individuals onto the reservation nor do they allow them to be additional drivers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter