He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

BTW, very interested to hear your thoughts on a Spring Break trip. We haven't been in the spring in ages...I don't think it's been since we lived in Orlando and that was during the height of the recession with low crowd levels much of the time. We're going on a spring trip in a couple of weeks (SQUEEEE!!!), but next year we may start going during spring break season since Asher is starting preschool and I don't want to pull him out of school for trips when we're paying school tuition, ya know??? I'll be interested to see how crowded the parks "feel" during that time of year, not terribly concerned about wait times since we're rope droppers and use FP+.

BEACHES AND CREAM

Let the fun begin!! As I mentioned in my first post, we arrived this time around 10:30am after an uneventful flight. We did however have to leave our house at 3:30 since we left from CT., but when we arrived at the WL around 11:40 we were all wide awake, excited, and not quite hangry yet thank goodness. I'd booked us a 12:50 lunch at Beaches and Cream; risky I know considering it wasn't quite 2.5 hours after we landed, but hey I live on the edge. We'd planned from the beginning to take a Minnie van so after dropping our bags with bell services and changing out of our Northeast clothes, Steve successfully used the Lyft app to call us one and we arrived at the Beach Club about 12:20.

We've never been around Easter but I've heard of and seen pictures of the Easter eggs at the Grand Floridian; I did not know however that they also had eggs at the Beach Club! I have tons of pictures but since you weren't allowed to eat them and this IS my dining report, I'll just share a couple:

IMG_8178.JPG

IMG_8173.JPG

We checked them all out and took a lazy walk to our lunch destination, enjoying the beautiful warm weather. I expected to be given a pager or have them take our cell # when we got there because on both our previous visits they were running behind, but when we walked up at 12:45 we were seated right away. And right away Steve and I ordered these:

IMG_8182.JPG

Believe it or not, The Schofferhofer was for Steve! Normally he finds it too sweet but was in the mood today. I almost got it but then saw the

Ace Pineapple Hard Cider and had to go with that. On our F&G trips last year I fell in love with cider but hadn't had a pineapple one yet. I ended up loving this, it's not as sweet as you would think and had a nice, light, pineapple flavor to it. Boys had water and apple juice as Chris went on some weird apple juice kick this trip.

For those of you who haven't eaten here yet, this restaurant is tiny! You can easily watch your neighbors eat if you feel like it lol so we were able to see quite a few tables order the Kitchen Sink Sundae. What's really cool is that, right before this is delivered to a table, the lights flash in a disco ball kind of way and then the server recites something over the table before putting it down. The booth behind us had a mom, dad, and two kids, both had to be no older than 6, and they polished off the whole thing :crazy2:

Moving on to our food! Chris ordered the

Angus Beef Burger
served with Cheddar, Lettuce, and Tomato on a Freshly Baked Bun:

IMG_8183.JPG

Minus the lettuce and tomato. I know this doesn't look like anything special AT ALL, but he loved it and at the end of the trip, pronounced it the best burger he's ever had in Disney so I guess you really can't judge a book by it's cover!
Ricky got the
Cheddar-Bacon-Ranch-Chicken Sandwich
Grilled Chicken Breast, Smoked Bacon, Onion, and Cheddar Cheese on a Multigrain Bun:

IMG_8186.JPG

Minus the onion and he tried to be cool with his hands but I cut them out. He loved this, the chicken wasn't rubbery at all (a complaint I often have with grilled chicken in restaurants) and he liked the multi-grain bun.
Steve ordered the
Patty Melt
Angus Beef Burger served with Sautéed Onions, Swiss, and Garlic-Peppercorn Dressing on Rye Bread

IMG_8184.JPG

Again, very happy with his choice and thought his burger was cooked perfectly. He also loved the garlic-peppercorn dressing they put on this and let Chris try a bite, he liked it also.
Now for the best (in my opinion which is most often correct). I was going back and forth on what to order. We hadn't been here since Nov. 2015, and that, as some of you may remember, was the Thanksgiving trip that I got the dreaded stomach bug the night before the holiday. We were scheduled to come here later on Thanksgiving which we did, and I did. I was planning on ordering the delicious grilled cheese and tomato soup I'd had on our one previous visit but because of how gross I was feeling I just ordered a bowl of soup; I had about 3 spoonfuls and went back to the room while the rest of the family ate. So I really wanted the grilled cheese and soup again but it was really warm out, and since we were going right to a park and I also wanted ice cream I was afraid it would be too heavy with all that cheese.........and then I said screw it, I'm getting what I want!

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque
Six-Cheese blend on fresh-baked challah bread; served with lettuce, tomato :

IMG_8185.JPG

So I got part of that description from the B&C menu on the Disney site and part from allears, not sure where the lettuce and tomato came from but it wasn't with my sandwich and that is absolutely fine with me. The perfectly toasted bread and blend of different cheeses is all this sandwich needs! It's so much better than your average grilled cheese which is why I couldn't stop Steve and Chris from stealing half of it. And the soup is perfection if you enjoy tomato soup; it's creamy, not overly tomato-y :cloud9: I was not disappointed that I ordered this!
And really it wasn't a bad thing that Chris and Steve stole half my sandwich; it left more room for this:

IMG_8187.JPG

Yeah baby, that's the

No Way José

A Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge delight featuring Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry.

If you like peanut butter and you go to Beaches and Cream, this is what you need to get.

Now, something weird happened this trip. Something I'm not exactly proud of but I need to share because, well, if you keep reading you'll find out eventually.

I shared desserts this trip.

WHAT????????
I know, I don't know what's wrong with me!! I never share desserts! I LOVE my sweets, in fact as I was writing part of this earlier this morning I was eating my breakfast, a bowl of honey nut cheerios which probably equaled 3 servings. Give me sugar, all day every day!!

So it started here with my No Way Jose and sharing with Chris. He said he wouldn't eat a whole one and since we'd just had a meal and I really didn't want to feel gross walking around HS, I agreed. Steve didn't want anything and Ricky got something for himself, and I just ate real fast so I got more than Chris did :snooty:

Ricky is a milkshake guy so he got a chocolate one:

IMG_8188.JPG

Kind of hard to take a picture since it was in this metal cup but it looked pretty from the top!

With that our first meal of vacation was complete. We enjoyed Beaches and Cream for the 3rd time (well, I enjoyed it for the 2nd time. Much better when you haven't been vomiting for almost 24 hours) and we WILL be back. The menu has your basic offerings done well and the ice cream is mm-mm good! Oh, I did want someone to order the onion rings because we haven't had those there and @kastoney always raves about them but everyone decided to start the trip off not listening to me, so we'll have to save them for next time. We left the '50's and headed for the Hollywood that never was but always will be-crap, can I even say that anymore? I'll say we left the '50's for the Hollywood that used to be and is now a park that is nothing like it used to be but we still have fun there before moving on to our next arrival day meal.

Woohoo, I'm first. Looking forward to this....
Yay, you're #1! Donald would be proud lol. Glad you're here :goodvibes

I’m here too! Can’t wait to read more!
Wow and your first post?? I'm humbled! And :welcome: to the DIS!

Yay another one :dancer:
So glad you'll be with me again!

Here! Ready to read your always interesting and fun reports !
Aw, so nice of you to say :) Thank you for following again!

Following along! :wave:
Hi Raeven!

I'm here! Can't wait to hear all about it.
Yay! And I can't wait for you to start your DL report!

Woo-hoo :cheer2:

:wave: Glad to have you!

Following!
:welcome:

Yesssss! Here for all the fun popcorn::
Hey Melinda! Looks like your bachelorette party was awesome, can't wait to read about that!

Following!
Thanks for being here :goodvibes

Here for the party!
party:

Looks like a great simple first meal of the trip! Glad the Minnie Van worked out well. We always have our car so we haven't used it yet.

That chicken sandwich right now looks like it would better than the lunch I just had!

Happy to have you!

We've stayed at the Beach Club more than any other resort and haven't eaten at Beaches and Cream in ages. I'm sure that we are missing something. ;)
Hi Sue, you should try it next time you stay there! It's not always easy to get a reservation though but it's adorable inside and the food is simple but delicious.

Joining in!
:banana: Glad you're here!

Can't wait to hear all about it! Great picture of the four of you, by the way! :)
:thanks: Happy to have you!

Following!
:welcome: to my report and :welcome: to the DIS :goodvibes

following!
Yay!

I'm here again! Looking forward to hearing about your latest trip.
Hi Fiona, nice to see you around again and happy to have you here :hug:

I'm in...8-)
What's up Jenny :cool1:

Steve successfully used the Lyft app to call us one and we arrived at the Beach Club about 12:20.

Ooh Steve must be getting better at this transportation thing!! They even took you to the right place on the first try!

The booth behind us had a mom, dad, and two kids, both had to be no older than 6, and they polished off the whole thing :crazy2:

Oh my goodness. I can't even imagine doing this.

I shared desserts this trip.

WHAT????????

:scared1:

:rotfl:

I'm here too!
Yay, thank you for following along!

Checking in! Looking forward to your report!
:thanks: I shall try my best to keep it interesting lol

Yum yummy yum, I am in!
Hey Caroline, we definitely enjoyed our food this time around, as usual :goodvibes

I'm here!
:banana:

I'm here, too!!! :thumbsup2
Hey Tracy :wave:

Joining in!
Glad to see you!

BTW, very interested to hear your thoughts on a Spring Break trip. We haven't been in the spring in ages...I don't think it's been since we lived in Orlando and that was during the height of the recession with low crowd levels much of the time. We're going on a spring trip in a couple of weeks (SQUEEEE!!!), but next year we may start going during spring break season since Asher is starting preschool and I don't want to pull him out of school for trips when we're paying school tuition, ya know??? I'll be interested to see how crowded the parks "feel" during that time of year, not terribly concerned about wait times since we're rope droppers and use FP+.
Well, it was interesting lol. Except for MK the parks didn't actually FEEL overwhelmingly crowded. Our main issue was FP's. We use them too and we did RD a few times, but the same day availability was like, non-existent. Even in many cases for rides that are always available and not popular. I would go again but I'd set our initial FP's up differently, early to mid afternoon rather than morning. I'll be writing about that in more detail in my TR, not sure if you usually frequent those but you can always skim through my report and just read the parts about crowds :thumbsup2

I did not know however that they also had eggs at the Beach Club! I have tons of pictures but since you weren't allowed to eat them and this IS my dining report, I'll just share a couple:

img_8178-jpg.315936

img_8173-jpg.315937
So cute!

And right away Steve and I ordered these:

img_8182-jpg.315938
Yum!

Ace Pineapple Hard Cider and had to go with that. On our F&G trips last year I fell in love with cider but hadn't had a pineapple one yet. I ended up loving this, it's not as sweet as you would think and had a nice, light, pineapple flavor to it.
Oh that sounds good!

pronounced it the best burger he's ever had in Disney
Good to know!

Patty Melt
Angus Beef Burger served with Sautéed Onions, Swiss, and Garlic-Peppercorn Dressing on Rye Bread

img_8184-jpg.315984
I love me a good patty melt. In fact, that is what I always order at Steak n Shake and I akin B&C to S&S.

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque
Six-Cheese blend on fresh-baked challah bread; served with lettuce, tomato :
I love grilled cheese so I was also looking at this when we originally were supposed to eat here last year.

No Way José
A Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge delight featuring Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry.
I like Reese's but I think I would prefer the Milky Way one.

I just ate real fast so I got more than Chris did :snooty:
:rotfl2:

We enjoyed Beaches and Cream
This is near the top of my list for future ADRS!

We do love Beaches & Cream! It's the one place my lot always request to go back to. We sometimes mix it up by substituting The FOuntain (at The Dolphin resort) instead but, generally, I am happy to go along with their wishes. The grilled chicken sandwich is always my go-to. I would LOVE the grilled cheese but do not care for tomato soup.

My husband really likes that Ace Pineapple Hard Cider. We have a lot of flavoured (hard) ciders here in the UK, so refreshing served over ice on a warm day (although those are few and far between).

What's with the sharing desserts though? No way jose! (see what I did there?) ;) Seriously, though, great start to the eat-a-thon...looking forward to more....

Steve didn't want anything and Ricky got something for himself, and I just ate real fast so I got more than Chris did :snooty:
That's what I would do, too. ;)

We've never been around Easter but I've heard of and seen pictures of the Easter eggs at the Grand Floridian; I did not know however that they also had eggs at the Beach Club!
Those of us who haunt the Beach Club can't remember ever seeing this display before. We think it is new. It is gorgeous and I really wished I was there to see it.

Hi Sue, you should try it next time you stay there! It's not always easy to get a reservation though but it's adorable inside and the food is simple but delicious.
We will be at the BC with our grandsons, age 12 and 14, in June and I think they would love this place. We are a party of 6, though, so it might be hard to get a table, since they are all teeny-tiny. But it is worth a shot.

Our main issue was FP's. We use them too and we did RD a few times, but the same day availability was like, non-existent.
We found same day availability bad in February, and that wasn't even a busy time. Maybe people are finally getting educated about fp and know that they have to book them. The fact that you can use your device to book the 4th fp instead of a kiosk probably adds to the shortage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter