Headscratching Comments from Others

Its a regional thing and a generational thing. Being a person from the younger generation and the Southeast I can tell you. There are a few things that people around here in the 18-30 year old demographic are not going to let you get away with. Among the list are:

Water Shoes
Fanny Packs
Mullets
and Blue Jean Shorts

I know most of you will read that and completely disagree that any one item belongs in there with the infamouse mullet, and the vast majority will disagree with blue jean shorts. . . but trust me that's just how it is.

That being said. Even the majority of teenagers would be polite enough to not make snide and embarassing comments directly to someone.
LOL..I'm over 40 and I find all the above hideous. So I think it's more than a generational thing.

Heard in the car behind me on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority as it was pulling back in to the roundabout at the end of the ride:

Rider 1: "This looks just like the place where we got on!"
Rider 2: "I think it IS the same place we started from...did we miss a stop?"

Honest. I was just heading down the moving treadway as I saw them approach the cast member working the exit to ask her why they were back where they started from. I can only imagine how hard it would be for her not to chuckle at that...I know I was!

Stylish or no, water shoes are a water park necessity. I sort of figured it was an age thing, but it seemed weird because lots of kids wear water shoes too. If it wasn't at Typhoon, it would have been in Indiana since we went to an IN water park when we lived in IL.

I'm of a divided mind on fanny packs. To me, they scream "geeky tourist," yet I wear one to Universal that is large enough to carry enough supplies to last the Brady Bunch (including Alice) for at least a week. The reason is, they won't let you carry anything on the rides...and they are dead serious about it. You can't even carry a little animal that you win at one of their games. However, you can wear a fanny pack as long as you can wedge it to the side, so that's what I do.

And I'll admit, I mock water shoes when it's the sandal kind and they're worn with socks. Don't socks kind of defeat the purpose of water shoes?

I do have one "in" with the younger generation tho'. I have a Google G1 phone or whatever it's called, and for the first time ever I have teens and young adults randomly saying, "Cool phone!" It won't last tho' as I hear that a new model is already due out soon.

I was wearing water shoes, and this group of kids next to me in line were elbowing each other and snickering and making comments like, "She has water shoes! She has shoes you wear in the water!" At the time, water shoes were probably not as prevelant as now because it was years back, but it's not like they were all that unusual...maybe they were really sheltered? :confused3

Well they knew what they were and what they were for, so sheltered isn't an answer.

What it sounds like to me is an inside joke that has nothing to do with you. Like every time we hear about someone going to Alaska and seeing whales, hubby and I start in about that b/c we took a cruise and didn't see a single whale. Now we didn't go on spending excursions to see them, but still, people were seeing them from the ship and we didn't. We got there too late, or, in one instance, had been out on the bow area for HOURS freezing our faces off...finally gave up and went back up to our room. Our room was an oceanview on the bow, no balcony, and we could hear people out on the heli pad where we had JUST been (it took at least 10 minutes to get to or from the room b/c of where the stairs/elevator were located, and that's rushing)...we got into the room, kicked off our shoes, and we heard excited shouts from the bow...whales were visible. :headache:

So it might have been one of those inside jokes...like at one point one of the people had been mystifed by water shoes, or had said/done something stupid about them...and his/her friends were ribbing him/her about it...but nothing had anything to do with you...just the shoes themselves.

That's what it sounds like to me!

LOL..I'm over 40 and I find all the above hideous. So I think it's more than a generational thing.

I'm just shy of 22, and it is a mix for me. Water shoes are okay... fanny packs not so much -- I think jean shorts are fine on girls, but don't like them on guys... I guess it must depend on your upbringing as well.

blue jean shorts are a no-no?

Yes. Blue jean shorts, also known as "jorts" are a no-no! But, I think they are just a no-no for men and are acceptable for women.

ahem. there's nothing wrong with fanny packs.

not that i would wear one every day or anything, but if i'm going to a theme park? absolutely. actually, my 4 year old loves when i wear it -- but that's mostly because he knows we're going somewhere fun.

I know what you mean...I get looks and questions all the time...

...and how foolish for people to mock what they don't understand...I LOVE my water shoes. They're ugly (kinda like platypus feet), but I don't have sore, scraped up feet after a day at the water park.

I also see people snickering over my Mickey shirts & Crocs (which I admittedly wear in my "regular" life away from the parks). I see idiots wearing heeled sandals and sundresses in the parks, but do I make snide comments? Heck, no! To each his/her own!

I say, "Water-shoe-wearing, fanny-pack-sporting, Croc-loving, Disney lovers UNITE!" :thumbsup2

I agree with you ChrisMouse...those fanny-packs are not the most attractive things to wear, but I will never go into a park without one!
;) I would rather have my hands free, and my back not aching from wearing a back pack all day!:woohoo:

I'm thinking...I'm thinking!!! :headache: I am trying to think of one that has not been said!! I always laugh when I hear people only calling MK "Disney World", I have been giving the "look" and heard the comments when I go through FP, Ladies in heels at the parks always kill me!! ;) I would have to say my big moment was on the WONDER when someone said.."Oh, the boat moves?" Well, DUH! :rotfl:

Ok, what's wrong with jean shorts? Me, dd25, ds7 and dd5 all wear them and so do most of the other people I know. My dh doesn't wear shorts at all.

I used to wear fanny packs but personally I just don't like them. I used to wear water shoes until Crocs became popular, now I just wear them at the water parks/pools as well.

I would have to say my big moment was on the WONDER when someone said.."Oh, the boat moves?" Well, DUH! :rotfl:
You should have said, "Don't worry, it's only sailing over to the World Showcase Lagoon so we can see Illuminations tonight."

Its a regional thing and a generational thing. Being a person from the younger generation and the Southeast I can tell you. There are a few things that people around here in the 18-30 year old demographic are not going to let you get away with. Among the list are:

Water Shoes
Fanny Packs
Mullets
and Blue Jean Shorts

I know most of you will read that and completely disagree that any one item belongs in there with the infamouse mullet, and the vast majority will disagree with blue jean shorts. . . but trust me that's just how it is.
I have to disagree about the blue jean shorts. Around here everyone wears them and they have them in all the "in" stores like Hollister, Abercrombie and American Eagle. I just paid $40 for a pair for my DD, they are definitely not out of style.

this isn't really a comment but it is something that I have noticed I swear people think that when they go to Disney or any theme park for that matter they find it enjoyable to wear some strange ensembles of clothing. As all ready stated there are the women that get all dolled up and cute just to go to the park and spend half their day in the bathroom fixing their make up and the other half is complaining about how bad their feet hurt. There is nothing wrong with looking nice and to each their own or what ever but why would you out yourself through pain just to look cute?
Also women at water parks are more often then not seen in swimsuits that are not becoming on them at all. They can still look nice in a suit that actually fits them as opposed to trying to fit into the smallest one possible!

I think people mean jean shorts like this:
rednecks.preview.jpg
or this
giantmullet.jpg

or the equally as bad "mom jean" shorts.
mom_jeans.jpg

not the cute little things all the teenagers wear.

You should have said, "Don't worry, it's only sailing over to the World Showcase Lagoon so we can see Illuminations tonight."
Too True..I have heard people ask the bus drivers where they can see the Disney Ships..one said..uhh..Port Canaveral! Oh..they are not here??? But this is Disney World!!! I know..shocker!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter