Help for New Pin Traders

Be very careful about getting involved in this hobby! I have been buying and trading pins for a year and a half and I am totally addicted. I now have well over 2500 pins in my collection and many dupes and traders. I don't even want to tell you how much this *little* hobby of mine has cost me, let's just say I have spent anywhere from .99 to over $400.00 for a single pin! It adds up. Since I do not live near the Parks and tho we do go to DL sometimes 3 times per year and WDW once per year, I end up bidding and buying for most of my desired collectibles on eBay. I am finally starting to drift away from buying. I need to start selling. LOL!

I do trade on my trips but find that most of the really good traders and ALL the Cast Lanyard pins are gone just after the Park (DL) opens. The pin sharks there grab up everything and then by the time we get there, all I find is a bunch of booster set pins or cheap stuff on the CMs lanyards. So trading for me is not all that much fun.

I take a full pinbag with me and often I will find a few good trades with other traders, but mostly I give pins away to kids. If I am meeting friends at the Park, I will usually let them go through my bag and pick out 5 pins they want and give them to them. I also give pins to CMs as a gift or a thank you. I still can't believe how many I have even after doing that for many visits.

The kids, CMs and my friends just love these little presents and I love doing it. I am not going to do some jacked-up trade with a pin shark just to get what I want and give them more than I know the pin is worth. It is more fun to give them to kids or CMs.

I had one little girl at the traders meet look through my book and find a great LE, the Lady and the Tramp Bella Note scene with Stitch, it was one of my dupes and bless her heart she had very little to trade, so I gave it to her. Why not? She was beaming and I was trying to find a new home for the pin anyway...

To me pin trading and collecting should be fun, not like the sharks that try to get everything good for themselves or to sell on eBay. When it becomes an obsession like the Power Traders you see sitting out in DtD with their 10 bags and they are there EVERY day like clockwork, it is time to get a life. I am trying to just get BACK to the point where we would pick up pins on each of our trips as a memento of that particular trip. That is how it started for me. Then I HAD to have ALL the pins in that character or that subject and it became an obsession to get EVERY single pin of B&tB. I am almost there, but I don't care anymore. I am tired of trying to track down every pin I want. I want it to be fun again. The only way I can do that is to just hang onto whay I really, really like and get those memento pins and STAY AWAY FROM eBay!!!!

I am not too interested in selling on ebay with all the new policy changes, and I want to stay away from eBay anyway so maybe I should list them here at the DIS pin board. I don't know if many people get burned selling them here. I just want to find homes for LOTS of pins I don't want or need anymore.

I have collected so many different subjects that I have more pins than I need. I started with Tinkerbell, have collected Mickey and Minnie, Bambi, Park pins, attraction pins, Princesses, Pooh, Eeyore, Chip and Dale, anything with a photo of Walt and I have been building my Goofy collection. It goes on and on.

I have a wonderful collection of Very Rare LE pins in lots of categories. These are the ones that I have spent 100.00 and up for. That is a beautiful collection that I will keep. But my biggest collections are Beauty and the Beast/Belle and the Little mermaid/Ariel and the Pins with Walt Disney on them. Those collections I will keep for a very long time. My Beauty and the Beast collection is not just pins, but every figurine, litho, sericel, plush, book, movie, CD, toy, etc...etc...they made on the subject.

I also collect Disney memorabilia of any sort that I like. My house is a friggen Disney museum. LOL! It really is. Walls covered with framed Pin sets, lithos, plates, every surface has WDCC and Lenox and other figurines and snowglobes...oh the snowglobes...that is a whole nother story! I have Disney bedding, and towels...you name it...it is in my house. I love Disney!

But the biggest thing is the pins...I need to start to clear out some of the pins. I have some really great pins too.
Does anyone have any experience selling pins here on the DIS selling board? If so, let me know and I will maybe start listing my pins there.

I always found for big trader lots, eBay was the way to go. Just be careful as has been reiterated over and over here on this thread and the other long threads about pin trading. It can become a problem if you let it. Keep it fun!

This was a great thread and a wonderful read. Thanks for posting it. It sounds a lot like my wife and I in regards to Disney Pins, and we feel pretty much the same about the Pin Sharks around the parks and at DTD. :mad: We like to have fun and collect what we like, but sometimes we get a little carried away. :rolleyes1

Anyway, to the subject of pins lots etc, I buy all mine off e-bay and have never had any problems. I have a 4-5 sellers that I buy from regulary with great confidence.

1. Read feedback
2. Make sure the lot says this is what you are getting now what you may get.
3. Make sure the seller does refunds

These are all perfect tips that have been posted so far.

What is wrong with Euro Disney pins, are they not the same as the Disneyland Paris pins?

There is nothing wrong with Eurodisney pins except that they are of a lesser quality pin than those made in china (in my opinion)

A lot of people frown upon those pins because when you trade a pin like that you fill up lanyards with "junk" instead of tradeable pins. I prefer to trade pins other people would want to get.

Hi, :wave2:
We are pretty new to pin trading, just doing it for fun. But I've been reading about the special CM pins that you can trade for (but apparently only if you're at the parks really early!). Is there an easy way to tell a CM pin from a 'regular' one?

Hi, :wave2:
We are pretty new to pin trading, just doing it for fun. But I've been reading about the special CM pins that you can trade for (but apparently only if you're at the parks really early!). Is there an easy way to tell a CM pin from a 'regular' one?

Most of the CM pins are called Lanyard pins or Hidden Mickey Pins and can only be traded for and cannot be purchased off the rack.

The Hidden Mickey pins are the most common now. These pins have a small mickey head somewhere on the pin and are easy to spot. Many of the Lanyard pins do not have the hidden mickey but say cast lanyard series on the back. If you are unsure, feel free to ask the CM to show you one if they have on their lanyard, hey are always happy to help.

Also, don't worry about the getting CM pins REALLY EARLY. It varies from park to park, time of day, and where you are looking. I have found many of the best pins or best selections later in the afternoon or at night when there are shift changes or the CM's restock their lanyards. Look for Mgr's just walking around the parks, CM's doing custodial duties, or CM's that work in QS restaurants. You'll be surprised the goodies you can find.

Hope that help. Have fun :thumbsup2

Here's a little hint on finding Hidden Mickey Pins and Cast Lanyards that have not been compeltely picked over.

Be actively looking for pins before and after PARADES, especially in the Magic Kingdom. Office workers get pulled to help with crowd control and Guest Service during parades and they usually get a fresh lanyard.

I even talked to a supervisor who told me before he came out he made sure he had a lanyard full of great pins. I always look around the chokepoints around Main Street during these times and we always get awesome pins.

Most of the CM pins are called Lanyard pins or Hidden Mickey Pins and can only be traded for and cannot be purchased off the rack.

The Hidden Mickey pins are the most common now. These pins have a small mickey head somewhere on the pin and are easy to spot. Many of the Lanyard pins do not have the hidden mickey but say cast lanyard series on the back. If you are unsure, feel free to ask the CM to show you one if they have on their lanyard, hey are always happy to help.

Also, don't worry about the getting CM pins REALLY EARLY. It varies from park to park, time of day, and where you are looking. I have found many of the best pins or best selections later in the afternoon or at night when there are shift changes or the CM's restock their lanyards. Look for Mgr's just walking around the parks, CM's doing custodial duties, or CM's that work in QS restaurants. You'll be surprised the goodies you can find.

Hope that help. Have fun :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info! :thanks: We are going on a Disney cruise in a few weeks and are looking forward to some trading. :)

For those of you interested, I work at a Disney Store, and we are selling a Mickey Mouse pin and lanyard set, which includes two pins, one to keep and one to trade, for $4.19. We are also selling other pins at a clearance price. You may want to check with your local Disney Store and pick some up while prices are at a discount.

I was wondering if I should get a lot of pins before I start to trade. I go to Disneyland every year and my daughter wants to start pin trading. Should I just get a few now and just let her trade with those for now.

We, actually my little pin stalker son as we called him on our last trip, found the most pins in the hotels where we were waiting on eating. He would fine managers or ask behind the check in desk. I guess since he is a cute kid the Cast always bent over backwards to help him.

We were eating at Cape May cafe and he was talking to a manager in the lobby before hand. He was on a search for all the monorails last summer. So she said go eat and come back out to find me when you are done. She had his monorail waiting for him. The CM's in SSR also got to know him real well. We found a lot of good pins when we came back for snacks in the hotel at the end of the night.

I am looking for a Mickey policeman pin. My DF (soon to be hubby) had one years ago and sent it to a police friend in London. I wanted to replace it as a gift for our Disneymoon this December. Any idea where to look? Thanks in advance I have never done any pin trading etc. so I am lost.

There are several cute Mickey policeman pins on ebay right now.

Ok I'm confused. What are the CM lanyard pins? And how do they work? Do CM's get a new one at the start of a shift? I've been looking at pins on ebay and it looks like the CM ones are larger than regular pins and on a black cord, not a lanyard. Again, I'm confused... Do you just trade any ordinary pin for one of these CM pins?

I'm looking for a website that lists all the pins/lanyard metals/etc. as a reference tool. Can anybody give me a link to one?

Also I would like to buy a lanyard before we go. I'm having the hardest time though. All the ones I see are very themed. Cars, princesses, tinkerbell, nightmare before x-mas, stitch, etc.. Not a simple solid, preferably purple, lanyard anywhere. Where should I be looking?

Thanks!

I was wondering if I should get a lot of pins before I start to trade. I go to Disneyland every year and my daughter wants to start pin trading. Should I just get a few now and just let her trade with those for now.

Pin trading is a lot of fun and can get a little expensive if you are not prepared. If you don't want to spend a ton but want you DD to have some to trade, I would suggest getting a 10-25 pin lot on e-bay to start off with. This way you should spend no more than $3 a pin and will have a good amount for trading. Just make sure to check feedback on the sellers, make sure that the pin lots show exactly what you are getting, and note no scrappers, pro pins, sedesma pins etc.

Hope that helps. If you need more help, feel free to PM me. :thumbsup2

Ok I'm confused. What are the CM lanyard pins? And how do they work? Do CM's get a new one at the start of a shift? I've been looking at pins on ebay and it looks like the CM ones are larger than regular pins and on a black cord, not a lanyard. Again, I'm confused... Do you just trade any ordinary pin for one of these CM pins?

I'm looking for a website that lists all the pins/lanyard metals/etc. as a reference tool. Can anybody give me a link to one?

Also I would like to buy a lanyard before we go. I'm having the hardest time though. All the ones I see are very themed. Cars, princesses, tinkerbell, nightmare before x-mas, stitch, etc.. Not a simple solid, preferably purple, lanyard anywhere. Where should I be looking?

Thanks!

I will copy and paste a previous post of mine in case you may have missed it.

Also, to specifically answer your questions:

1. The larger "pins" that I think you are referring to on the black cord lanyards are actually medals and not pins. And those are not traded. The CM/Cast Lanyard pins are no larger that regular rack pins. You can trade pretty much any pin you want for the CM pins as long as it has the Disney copyright on the back. How CM's have them are pretty random with no real pattern, you just need to keep an eye out.

2. A good website to visit for pin lists and descriptions would be www.pinpics.com

3. You should be able to find plain colored lanyards on e-bay. It will take a little looking as the most that will come up are the themed ones. If you can't get one, they are plentiful at WDW and are pretty inexpensive.

Hope that helps. :surfweb:

1. The larger "pins" that I think you are referring to on the black cord lanyards are actually medals and not pins. And those are not traded. The CM/Cast Lanyard pins are no larger that regular rack pins. You can trade pretty much any pin you want for the CM pins as long as it has the Disney copyright on the back. How CM's have them are pretty random with no real pattern, you just need to keep an eye out.

Hope that helps. :surfweb:

The wesite link and other info where very helpful thank you!

Here's examples of what I'm talking about with the black cord ones... They are both categorized as "lanyard" but the first one looks like it could be a medal (maybe?) and the second one a pin but both are called lanyards. See why I'm confused?
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=11297&sid=4272.1215777975
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=44824&sid=4194.1215777240

The wesite link and other info where very helpful thank you!

Here's examples of what I'm talking about with the black cord ones... They are both categorized as "lanyard" but the first one looks like it could be a medal (maybe?) and the second one a pin but both are called lanyards. See why I'm confused?
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=11297&sid=4272.1215777975
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=44824&sid=4194.1215777240

Yes, it can definitely be confusing. The two that you are referencing are the same but look a little different as they were made slightly different and released in different areas or released at different times. You will see this a lot in lanyard medals and pins as some are released more than once and may be released in DL, WDW, or in a Disney store. It happens.

These are cast lanyard medals and not pins, you can tell as they are categorized as pin accessories. These are pretty much for decoration on the black cord lanyards that a CM may wear. Guests may also purchase lanyards like these. They are good for holding ID or park tickest etc, they are not too good for holding pins for trading.

These are cast lanyard medals and not pins, you can tell as they are categorized as pin accessories. These are pretty much for decoration on the black cord lanyards that a CM may wear. Guests may also purchase lanyards like these. They are good for holding ID or park tickets etc, they are not too good for holding pins for trading.

Thanks so much for all the wonderful info! I don't feel do lost anymore. :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter