Help me with my hotel choice

MakeAWish25

Earning My Ears
Normally we stay onsite, but we made a spur of the moment trip for next month (12/20-12/23) and unfortunately with Christmas coming up, onsite is not in the cards for this trip. I've stayed offsite once at BWPPI and found it to be fine - it's clean and close to the parks. My husband is a bit of a hotel snob, and he found BWPPI adequate (but didn't love it except for the location). BWPPI is booked up for our stay, so I narrowed it down to the following options (it's just the husband and I for this trip):
  1. Tropicana ($149/night)
  2. Fairfield Inn ($127/night)
  3. Courtyard Theme Park Entrance ($237/night, however from what I understand, this is a great price for this property)
Initially I was just going to go with Fairfield Inn, but heard that noise can be a big issue there. Tropicana seems OK and the location is awesome. However, Yelp and Tripadvisor reviews scared me with many accounts of creepy crawlies and dirty rooms. I know they have recently renovated though. Courtyard is very nice -- but it seems a bit farther. I just didn't want to pay more and not get a good location.

What would y'all choose in this situation? I am driving myself nuts going back and forth on this. All input is welcome! :-)

I would personally choose Courtyard. I have never stayed at any of those properties. The pool looks really nice at Courtyard and my daughter would love it. I guess it really depends on what you need the hotel for just sleep and shower or will you be using other amenities. We like the comfort of the Courtyard type of hotels.

Courtyard is pretty new so i doubt they have many negative reviews and trust all hotels even Disney hotels have very bad reviews.

I would choose the Tropicana. I've stayed there before and really liked it. Didn't have any issues with bugs or anything. Plus you have the onsite store for any snacks, McD right next door, and a Panera just a bit farther away.

I haven't stayed at the other 2 but we did stay at the Tropicana this past August. We didn't get a renovated room but it was honestly still fine. I'm not too picky about hotel though as long as it's clean and comfortable and it was. I'm all about location so we always stay at the BWPPI or Tropicana. The short walk is my selling point.

We stayed at the Tropicana in February. It was OK and the room needed a few minor repairs. The renovated rooms look much nicer on the website. I would try staying there again now that the renovations have been done.

My son stayed with a friend's family at the Courtyard a couple of years ago. He said it was an amazing hotel with plenty of room for their party of six. I would like to stay there sometime if the price is right.

I would be all over the Courtyard if it were me. It's the newest of the hotels you mentioned. And that's a really good rate for Christmastime

I am a regular at CYI and FFI if not onsite.

CYI IMO is the nicest off site property close to the gate. New property with lots of amenities that make it feel like a full service property.

FFI is what I call predictably mediocre. Rooms were recently superficially renovated (new floors and paint but still feels a bit dated). It is outside halls so you gave a lot more foot traffic walking by your door but I never had a problem with noticeable noise, but the CYI can be quieter.

I am a bit of hotel snob like your husband and if he was "meh" about the BWPPI, than I can tell ya he will be MUCH more comfortable at the CYI. FFI is great option for a close bed and shower but it is also very "meh" in my book.

The actual walk difference between FFI and CYI was negligible. I have a NYE trip booked and had the option of both those properties and we are staying at CYI for that trip.

Definitely the Courtyard at that price. It's a nice, newer hotel, comfortable beds, quiet rooms. The walk isn't bad, took us about 10 minutes, and still found it close enough for a midday break. Even my 4-year-old was willing to do the walk in the morning.

I'd go with the Courtyard as well. I have always wanted to try it, but rates have never been that good when I was looking at dates.

I'm sorry to hijack, but the Courtyard has good rates during our stay as well, and we're tempted to try it (currently booked at the HoJo). Can someone tell me a bit about the walk to the parks? I'm having a hard time picturing where it actually is. Also, do they charge for parking?

I'm sorry to hijack, but the Courtyard has good rates during our stay as well, and we're tempted to try it (currently booked at the HoJo). Can someone tell me a bit about the walk to the parks? I'm having a hard time picturing where it actually is. Also, do they charge for parking?

I can't remember if they charge for parking, but the Courtyard is right next to the HoJo and slightly closer to the park entrance. The Courtyard is further back from the street than the HoJo so I'd say the walking distance is the same. If know a lot of people like the HoJo, but we didn't have a good experience there. The chairs and tables in the pool area were disgustingly dirty and we had a bad experience with the service every time we interacted with an employee. We were staying there during the "off season" for Epilepsy Awareness Day, so perhaps they have less staff that are overworked during that time of year...

If you opt for the less expensive FFI; the upper level floors away from foot traffic are the quietest. Try rooms 538-541

Last edited:
I haven't stayed at the other 2 but we did stay at the Tropicana this past August. We didn't get a renovated room but it was honestly still fine. I'm not too picky about hotel though as long as it's clean and comfortable and it was. I'm all about location so we always stay at the BWPPI or Tropicana. The short walk is my selling point.

I agree. If you are looking for a place to lay your head at night, stay at the Tropicana. Nothing fancy, but it is clean and close. Just about any walk going TO Disneyland is fine, it is the walk at the end of the night/day trip that will make you silently curse with each step back especially when you pass the hotel you thought about staying.

Did you look into Park Vue Inn? It's at the crosswalk and right next door to Park Place Inn, and will likely be priced between the Tropicana and Courtyard.

Did you look into Park Vue Inn? It's at the crosswalk and right next door to Park Place Inn, and will likely be priced between the Tropicana and Courtyard.
Are the beds comfortable at Park Vue? One of the reasons I've avoided Tropicanna is that many reviews say the beds are not very plush. As a comparison, we find the pillowtops at the HoJo comfortable.

Are the beds comfortable at Park Vue? One of the reasons I've avoided Tropicanna is that many reviews say the beds are not very plush. As a comparison, we find the pillowtops at the HoJo comfortable.

I had no trouble sleeping at Park Vue; I found the beds to be comfortable. I very rarely have problems sleeping at Disney, though. I'm so exhausted!

Bed comfort seems to vary so much from person to person, it's hard to say for certain if you'd find them comfortable.

we stayed offsite for the first time last month for the halloween party and did the courtyard, we paid $380 a night, so your rate really is great! it was nice and clean, close to the park, we really enjoyed our stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter