Help ! Somebody make a decison for me on the cruise

drakethib

DIS Veteran
I want to book a category 5 room (I am cheap and a tightwad) and my wife wants a category 4 (she is not).

Tracy will probably shoot me if I ask one more question.

I need to make a choice tonight

Dude, I'm just psyched you'll be there! 4...5....Even Bawb can't tell the difference! (callback)

There wil be lots of opportunities to spend on the cruise- shopping, excursions etc so you are giving yourself some leeway there. Also, I may be wrong but I believe the only difference between a cat 5 and a cat 6 is the deck each is on. So a 6 is the same size cabin for less.

If it was me, I would book a Cat 5 - and I am not cheap or a tightwad. :rotfl2: My entire family cruised on the Wonder last year and were had three Cat 4 staterooms and for that trip we had 3 and 4 adults in each stateroom so a Cat 4 was nice. Cat 4 you will get the 30 extra sq ft which has a chair in it basically. For 3 adults in a stateroom I would book the Cat 4 but with 2 adults and a small child a Cat 5 should be fine. I booked a Cat 5 for the podcruise since it will just be 2 adults this time and as much as I love any extra space in my surroundings, 30 sq ft didn't seem all that important.

$460 more for a 4 than for a 5. Gain is 36 square feet. Cost difference is about 30 bucks a month. Yeah... not much gain for a party of only 3...

Then again, the secret to a happy marriage... happy wife...

The fun will be from Pete's parties and the overall experience, probably not from the room...

With just one little one, I would do the 5 without question. Or the 6 as another poster said.

Hey...either one of them seem pretty darn good to me (I'll be in a Cat. 11 w/two adults & two teenagers! :crowded: ).

Unless you need the added space for someone to sleep I see no value in the extra space a cat 4 provides over a cat 5. Also, since there so few category staterooms that sleep 5 or more you could look at it like you would be leaving a cat 4 for a family that really needs that space to fit everyone.

Since there is no real difference between a cat 5 and cat 6 besides price and location I would choose a cat 6.

Now - if you really want to save money but still have a verandah I would go for a cat 7. You get a verandah (metal/navigator but very nice) and sleeps 3.

John

Unless you need the added space for someone to sleep I see no value in the extra space a cat 4 provides over a cat 5. Also, since there so few category staterooms that sleep 5 or more you could look at it like you would be leaving a cat 4 for a family that really needs that space to fit everyone.

Since there is no real difference between a cat 5 and cat 6 besides price and location I would choose a cat 6.

Now - if you really want to save money but still have a verandah I would go for a cat 7. You get a verandah (metal/navigator but very nice) and sleeps 3.

John

He's the expert!

All I know is that we've only had a category 9 so we've never been higher than deck 2, and it was fine for our family of 4.

Would also go for a cat 7
Or a cat 6, no need for the 5.

SAVE THE MONEY! :goodvibes

We have been in 4 7 8 9 10 11
and on about a dozen or so cruises!

DH and I (just the 2 of us) have stayed in Cat 5 and Cat 4. We had actually booked Cat 6, and been bumped up to the Cat 4.

Ask yourself how much time you plan to spend in the room, or on the verandah.

When we rebooked, we went for a Cat 6 again, because we love the verandah so much. Having experienced both room types, we didn't think the extra money (for the Cat 4 or 5) was worth it.

Kathy

Tell your wife is she lets you book the cheaper cabin, she can use some of the savings on a spa treatment....:cloud9:

He's the expert!

All I know is that we've only had a category 9 so we've never been higher than deck 2, and it was fine for our family of 4.

Yep, I'm a sucker for those Cat 9's too. I would love a verandah, but for the little amount of time I'm actually in my cabin, I really can't justify the cost. The cat 9 is spacious compared to other cruise lines and was absolutely perfect me, DH and my DD who is 7. That porthole window is huge (or 'uge as Pete would say ;) ). The only time it got tight is when we were all trying to get dressed at the exact same time. After that, we just staggered our dressing time a little.

John

Great advice John :thumbsup2

As others state I think the OP will be happy what ever choice you are making... your going on the Unplugged podcast cruise :worship:

John

Wow.

One of the owners of a travel agency telling me how to get a cheaper trip :eek:

You don't see that every day.

Yeah, poor John has been totally demoralized by Pete *giving away* all that expensive stuff, and all the agents have been innundated with questions from all of us, they're threatening a mutiny.... I'm thinking he just upped his meds and is rolling with it. Hey, wait..... that's not bad idea.....

Just teasin' ya, John, you *know* we love you!! :hug:

Wow.

One of the owners of a travel agency telling me how to get a cheaper trip :eek:

You don't see that every day.

Yep, I'm a sucker for those Cat 9's too. I would love a verandah, but for the little amount of time I'm actually in my cabin, I really can't justify the cost. The cat 9 is spacious compared to other cruise lines and was absolutely perfect me, DH and my DD who is 7. That porthole window is huge (or 'uge as Pete would say ;) ). The only time it got tight is when we were all trying to get dressed at the exact same time. After that, we just staggered our dressing time a little.

We are cruise newbies (i have never been on one) plus suffer from a little claustrophobia was the main factor in wanting a 4 or 5. I need to feel as open as I can (as silly as that sounds). Windows / patios are a must to keep me from freaking out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter