We went Presidents week in 2018 and crowds were awful. Said never again, but in 2021 we did go back the same week and do virtual school and work for a change of scene and to get back in the parks - it wasn't so bad due to social distancing, but still pretty busy with some long wait times. Lines did move faster without FP/G+ though, I imagine that makes a huge difference between then and now?

I hope everyone there this week has an amazing time!! (despite the crowds :)).

When you say entered at 7:15 for F! Dining package did you line up before hand or did you get there at 7:15 and were able to walk right in? (Trying to figure out my timing for our package)
Not OP, but we did it last night. We ended up walking into. Fantasmic at 740 due to crazy fastpass wait time for mmrr since it was down half the day yesterday. We walked right. through and to the preferred section.. There was a decent amount of seating still left for the 8pm show.

We went Presidents week in 2018 and crowds were awful. Said never again, but in 2021 we did go back the same week and do virtual school and work for a change of scene and to get back in the parks - it wasn't so bad due to social distancing, but still pretty busy with some long wait times. Lines did move faster without FP/G+ though, I imagine that makes a huge difference between then and now?

I hope everyone there this week has an amazing time!! (despite the crowds :)).

Yes, we said it in 2018 and again in 2019 and in 2020 it was worse than ever and we were "really serious this time." So of course here we are again in 2023 😂 (our first trip back since 2020). It's just such a natural week for us to go - kids are off of school, it's still unbearably cold in our part of GA and the sun and warmth is all I want. We are in SW Florida at my mom's right now and even here, in a pretty un-tourist-y part of things, it is unquestionably crazier than I've ever seen it this week. Trying to keep my expectations realistic for our arrival tomorrow.

We are back from a week at Disney World. It was a very enjoyable trip all in all. Weather was nice for us cold blooded PNW types can't take the heat so mid 70s was perfect for us. Even the couple of 80s weren't too bad without the humidity.

We had some issues with our room at Riviera as they didn't get my requests and we honestly got one of the worst rooms. 3rd floor by the garbage bins. We got to hear the trucks every morning and weren't high enough to see fireworks. Oh well, wasn't that big of a deal all in all and they gave us some room credit. Love the staff at Riviera as they are all so friendly, especially at Primo Piatto. We only hit 2 days of Skyliner outage so it wasn't too big of a deal. The bus to/from HS is actually faster than the Skyliner, especially at night when Epcot is closing and you have a wheelchair.

Our parks days usually included a break in the middle of the day. My wife doesn't sleep well so we never got there too early but the crowds were pretty moderate and with her DAS and Genie+, we rode all we wanted without too much hassle and didn't over do it. When I was here last in October I really over did it and took a week to recover!

I found that Genie+ Lightning Lanes were pretty open in the first half of the day. I often had issues trying to get them later in the day to fit our schedule. Things did bump up some on the weekend and certain areas were always crowded (looking at you Mexico) but it was nothing like holiday traffic. MK seemed to have the most LLs open. Remy and Frozen tended to go by 1pm, same with FoP and the major HS rides.

There were plenty of Figment popcorn buckets when we were there. The mobile ordering made it all a simple process to get and there were times all the way into the evening. Everyone seemed to have one around their neck but still plenty to go around. We loved looking at all the artwork for FARTS and bought a few small pieces. Tempting on the larger ones but we spent more than enough on regular merch. It was nice that we happened to be there when they gave out the AP magnets as my wife is a big Dumbo fan. Not overly impressed with the 2023 stuff so far but the Disney 100 items are nice and we picked up a few items.

We did the Hollywood Studios after hours. The crowds were low, we rode all we wanted but it was poorly organized with the snacks. They were supposed to have everything at all the locations but we found most places just had drinks/water and popcorn. Only a few places had ice cream and the staff didn't know where to point us. I would have liked to see more in the hub area around MMRR but they were only popcorn. We had to go back into TSL to get what we wanted. A minor quibble and a fun evening.

We had tickets for the MK after hours party but didn't go as it was our last night and we were too tired to deal with a late night and spent most the day doing Epcot and MK before the party so we headed back to the resort. We were told we can use the ticket funds for other events so we'll use them for Halloween or something else when we return.

We skipped a VIP tour due to friends not being able to attend and the price increase from $425 to $600 an hour. Even with our splitting it was just too much an increase and with the after hour parties, it really wasn't worth it. We had a blast last year with it but it was a good time to skip it.

We renewed our APs when we first arrived and that was fairly painless, other than getting Photo pass setup on the right one. They ended up giving us a 30 day pass as it got linked to the wrong one. We also still have some AP vouchers I got from Sam's Club that I'm saving for a rainy day (old plat passes) and that caused havoc with our park passes but GS got it sorted out. Just beware if you still have these hanging around.
We were assigned twice to those rooms at Riviera, both times as soon as we looked outside and saw the delivery trucks right under our balcony, we called and were transferred to other rooms with amazing views. It almost looked to us the second time, as if they are expecting people to call them about it, just for future reference.

So I'll share here since I was wondering - crowds are crazy. They really are. But I wouldn't say it's really worse than it was in 2020. Definitely not better, but standby wait times are similar on nearly all rides and in general I found LLs to be actually easier to grab than FPs were though I miss the planned element of FP. The only LL ride at Epcot and HS I never saw any availability for was Remy.

Walkways are overwhelmingly crowded at times but they always are this week so that's harder to judge. It seems like things happen in groups, like we did a mobile order at Backlot Express and when we first got there the mobile pickup stations were all mobbed, lines 3 deep, but then by the time our food was ready they were all empty but there was a crazy line at the soda fountain. If you can go against the flow of whatever is the current grouping, you can find some respite - eat at off times, heading into the park around 12/12:30 was actually amazing as many people are leaving to go back to the hotel or get lunch but no one can hop over yet so the entrance to HS was relatively uncrowded (for President's Day week, of course).

We arrived on Sunday and did MK and Epcot yesterday, and the crowds didn’t seem terrible to me. I haven’t been over February break before, but it feels comparable to the week after Easter, which is when we normally travel. Crowds did seem pretty bad after 11 and before 3:30 or so (we took a pool break in-between), but other than that, it feels normal busy to me!

So I'll share here since I was wondering - crowds are crazy. They really are. But I wouldn't say it's really worse than it was in 2020. Definitely not better, but standby wait times are similar on nearly all rides and in general I found LLs to be actually easier to grab than FPs were though I miss the planned element of FP. The only LL ride at Epcot and HS I never saw any availability for was Remy.

Walkways are overwhelmingly crowded at times but they always are this week so that's harder to judge. It seems like things happen in groups, like we did a mobile order at Backlot Express and when we first got there the mobile pickup stations were all mobbed, lines 3 deep, but then by the time our food was ready they were all empty but there was a crazy line at the soda fountain. If you can go against the flow of whatever is the current grouping, you can find some respite - eat at off times, heading into the park around 12/12:30 was actually amazing as many people are leaving to go back to the hotel or get lunch but no one can hop over yet so the entrance to HS was relatively uncrowded (for President's Day week, of course).
The reason why I'm ok with reservations is for weeks like this. In the past, MK would've been so packed you physically couldn't move through the hub, like fireworks crowds all day. But I went on Easter weekend last year, traditionally one of the most crowded times, and the parks were manageable. With Genie+ I was able to hit everything I wanted to in Magic Kingdom and a few rerides.

The reason why I'm ok with reservations is for weeks like this. In the past, MK would've been so packed you physically couldn't move through the hub, like fireworks crowds all day. But I went on Easter weekend last year, traditionally one of the most crowded times, and the parks were manageable. With Genie+ I was able to hit everything I wanted to in Magic Kingdom and a few rerides.

Yeah we find MK to be so unpleasantly crowded President's Day week that we're actually not going there this trip. I thought we might hop over at some point but even the kids are pretty uninterested and it's so easy for us to get to Epcot and HS that I think we'll likely just use our hoppers there. We are hitting AK tomorrow so I'm curious to see what crowds are like.

Here for a week but used Genie+ last 2 days and wanted to report back a bit since it did sell out.
Some context, in a group with friends and overall the goal isn’t to get the most LLs but more to get in the kids most dos.

Sunday at MK 10-5, Ariel meet, Ariel ride (LL), jungle cruise (LL), lunch at Tony’s, saw parade, Mickey meet (LL), meet Mulan, mine train (ILL), meet Minnie, Daisy, Goofy, Donald, Winnie the Pooh (LL), people mover, speedy way (LL).

We could have done more but my daughter was selecting instead of just doing best use of LLs. But personally I didn’t think it was so bad. Could have had immediate returns at 430 for dumbo, tea cups and 530 for buzz and others later. But kids wants to swim so we headed out.

Sunday 840-3 at HS. This was harder as one kid was ready to leave at 11 and this was wearing off on the other.

Anyway, we did runaway railway, meet vamparina, Disney junior show, meet fancy Nancy, meet doc, meet Olaf (LL), head to rise (ILL) but it was down, played around in galaxy edge, did Slinky dog (LL), DD got to go twice, lunch at Hollywood and Vine, aliens (LL), Rise (with anytime pass), some shopping and an exit. At this point the 2nd kid was ready to go so we left. Could have still gotten TSMM, Star tours etc etc. but I wasn’t really in the mood to fight it.

I think Mk was decent and go out money worth, HS well I didn’t love it but my daughter had a good day so whatever.

Here for a week but used Genie+ last 2 days and wanted to report back a bit since it did sell out.
Some context, in a group with friends and overall the goal isn’t to get the most LLs but more to get in the kids most dos.

Sunday at MK 10-5, Ariel meet, Ariel ride (LL), jungle cruise (LL), lunch at Tony’s, saw parade, Mickey meet (LL), meet Mulan, mine train (ILL), meet Minnie, Daisy, Goofy, Donald, Winnie the Pooh (LL), people mover, speedy way (LL).

We could have done more but my daughter was selecting instead of just doing best use of LLs. But personally I didn’t think it was so bad. Could have had immediate returns at 430 for dumbo, tea cups and 530 for buzz and others later. But kids wants to swim so we headed out.

Sunday 840-3 at HS. This was harder as one kid was ready to leave at 11 and this was wearing off on the other.

Anyway, we did runaway railway, meet vamparina, Disney junior show, meet fancy Nancy, meet doc, meet Olaf (LL), head to rise (ILL) but it was down, played around in galaxy edge, did Slinky dog (LL), DD got to go twice, lunch at Hollywood and Vine, aliens (LL), Rise (with anytime pass), some shopping and an exit. At this point the 2nd kid was ready to go so we left. Could have still gotten TSMM, Star tours etc etc. but I wasn’t really in the mood to fight it.

I think Mk was decent and go out money worth, HS well I didn’t love it but my daughter had a good day so whatever.
Wow! You got lots done on a weekend where many are talking if the crowds.

Dare we hope G+ selling out means they’re possibly selling less of them and making them more beneficial? That would be nice!!

Also, G+ back down to $22 today so hoping that means crowds are a bit less today too.

Dare we hope G+ selling out means they’re possibly selling less of them and making them more beneficial? That would be nice!!

Also, G+ back down to $22 today so hoping that means crowds are a bit less today too.
I was wondering the same, is it based on % of reservations booked?? I don’t think either day had all park reservations filled.

Yes down to $22 today, I’m not in the parks today or tomorrow back Thursday (no genie +), Friday and Saturday will report back!

I was wondering the same, is it based on % of reservations booked?? I don’t think either day had all park reservations filled.

Yes down to $22 today, I’m not in the parks today or tomorrow back Thursday (no genie +), Friday and Saturday will report back!
I don’t think we’ll ever really know as Disney doesn’t publish numbers.

I’m wondering if they’re playing around with the system a bit and trying to tweak it?

If G+ becomes more beneficial and, if it sells out, more might purchase it?

I don’t think we’ll ever really know as Disney doesn’t publish numbers.

I’m wondering if they’re playing around with the system a bit and trying to tweak it?

If G+ becomes more beneficial and, if it sells out, more might purchase it?
Agreed we will ever know. I will say if you wanted to just maximize rides and know the system could have gotten a lot done both days.

Also here now. Have been this week several times so knew to expect crowds. I definitely think it's more crowded than I've seen before but definitely doable. Genie+ has saved our wait times (though depleted our bank account; I was happy to see it down to $22 today).
We rope dropped Epcot on Sunday. This was the 3rd trip since Guardians opened and the first time I couldn't get on the 7 am VQ. I did end up buying the ILL. In past visits we have been able to do a few rides during the early entry but this trip only Test Track and by 8:55 we were at Frozen with a 50 minute wait. I love the modify option on Genie; was only able to grab an evening Remy LL so modified that to Soarin when we were done with Frozen. Headed to breakfast at Cape May and then back to do Guardians. By that time it was 1 and teen daughter was able to get that drop for VQ. We headed back to the resort for pool. In the meantime I grabbed LL at HS for the evening- Slinky, RNR, Test Track and Toy Story. It took a little work for Slinky but I consider it a success. Headed back to Epcot around 6 to ride Guardians but the line was wrapped around the front and almost to the entrance where they are taking pictures. Since we already rode it and were coming back, we skipped it and headed to HS and got our rides in. A very successful first day!

Monday we headed back to HS around 9. Lines were long to get in, we were only going to do a couple of things and head back for pool (great weather here!). 2 of us did Rise (ILL) while 2 of us saw Frozen. We had LL for Toy Story and I grabbed another for Star Tours. Pool and rest before heading back to Epcot. Was able to get in the 6 pm VQ for the 9-11 extended hours. We were called by the time the fireworks were done (and we were were close by standing) so went immediately. Took about 30 minutes with wait and ride, walked down to Remy and it was a walk on (about 10:15). Could have snagged one more ride but we were done so headed to the bus. Another successful day.

I will admit the biggest complaint this week is pretty much all the park reservations are booked so there wasn't much room for changing any of your reserved days; which I wanted to do!

Late start to AK today and MK tonight.

Last edited:

It is not a good PR look if you sell an expensive unusable product... selling an expensive usable product is not necessarily bad business... I wonder if this is a post chapek change. Disney has always been expensive but many guests (myself included) justified it if there was value. This seems like an attempt to course correct to me.

It is not a good PR look if you sell an expensive unusable product... selling an expensive usable product is not necessarily bad business... I wonder if this is a post chapek change. Disney has always been expensive but many guests (myself included) justified it if there was value. This seems like an attempt to course correct to me.

Yeah at $29pp when it wouldn't actually let me book my second LL at the appointed time (there was some kind of issue with my MDE yesterday where it kept simultaneously recognizing my park res/tickets and also declaring I didn't have any) I was prepared to immediately contact guest services and demand my money back. Thankfully the chat support was actually pretty good and was able to book my 2nd LL for me and by the time it was time to book my 3rd I was in the park, which resolved my issue. There appears to be some kind of known potential glitch that happens to a small percentage of people on check-in day before official check-in time.

For science this morning I was looking at Epcot and HS availability. I got an 11:30 return time for Remy by refreshing right at 7 and it was insanely slow, by the time I clicked modify at 7:01 return times were after 7 PM and by 7:02 they were gone for the day. SDD was gone when I looked at 7:05. VQ for Guardians was closed by 7:01. Rise ILLs were still available at 7:05, price on those went down as well I think it was showing $18-$20 (was $25 yesterday).

Using the modify/refresh, I was able to both see and grab LLs for rides that were not available earlier in the day yesterday so a sell-out isn't necessarily permanent but it does kind of set a craziness tone. My son wants to do test track and I told him I would grab that next if it's still available at 11, if I got a super late Remy return I'd just change it but 11:30 is actually pretty in line with plans for the day (later arrival at IG, we have a Space 220 res at 2 so hoping to do Remy and then grab another ride or two on the way to Space 220 and hopefully TT after that.) Not sure where we'll hop to later or if at all, maybe a night-time trip over to AK since we've never seen it at night. Galaxy's Edge was phenomenal at night, we came out of Smuggler's Run right as a bunch of pyrotechnics happened and that entire land is just so impressively themed. Nice to walk through when it's less crowded and you can take more of the detail in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter