We finally RD on our second to last day at MK. We decided to drive and paid for premium parking, arriving at the booths about 7:05 am. We lucked out in that we were only about the fourth car there, so a short walk to transportation. The express monorail was down so we ended up taking a bus to the park, arriving about 7:30 at the gate. While we could’ve headed to 7 Dwarfs, we elected to head to People Mover instead, since it broke down the last time we tried to ride it. Well, People Mover started at 8, so we ended up waiting 20 minutes. Even with that, we were able to ride Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Pirates and check out shops all before 10 am. Since this was a pool day, we ate lunch at Pecos Bill at 10 and slowly made our way out, stopping at several shops. The express monorail was still down, but the resort monorail was running, which we took. We were back at the resort and in the BC/YC pool by noon.

Overall, social distancing is on the way out. While there are announcements to keep 6’ apart, queues aren’t monitored and many guests aren’t paying attention to the markers. Too many are looking down at their phones, moving forward when they glimpse motion. Mask compliance is generally good, but there are more noses peeking out and more eating/drinking while moving. I have heard CMs correct guests on masks, but many others pull them up as they approach a CM. So if you’re concerned about keeping 6’ apart, you might want to wait awhile before going. Social distancing and mask compliance are likely to get worse with summer heat.

Has anyone read the reviews on Trip Advisor lately? For some reason my husband pulled it up. Pages of horrible reviews from this month alone-mainly about how rigid the cast members are about mask wearing (lots of scolding and yelling via megaphones), but also about pricing, bad service, and capacity seeming much higher than 35% but still so many things closed or limited. Doesn’t sound fun. We are going in October so hopefully it will improve. Just curious if anyone has thoughts...we are regulars but our last visit was pre-covid.

I usually don't speak Disney with strangers but yesterday while standing in the line waiting to board our flight a mom insisted on striking up a conversation. She asked me and my husband if we were going to a park. We said yes, we have a park reservation for MK. "Park reservation?" Uggh, here we go.

Mind you there were 6 of them, ready to board for their magical vacation. Briefly explained that a reservation was required for each ticket AND the online availability calendar shows full and limited park availability for the next week. "I haven't bought tickets yet." This is why I don't speak Disney to people. It was about this time that the lady in front of me said, "just go to the hotel concierge and they will let you in." Yeah, good luck with that.

I usually don't speak Disney with strangers but yesterday while standing in the line waiting to board our flight a mom insisted on striking up a conversation. She asked me and my husband if we were going to a park. We said yes, we have a park reservation for MK. "Park reservation?" Uggh, here we go.

Mind you there were 6 of them, ready to board for their magical vacation. Briefly explained that a reservation was required for each ticket AND the online availability calendar shows full and limited park availability for the next week. "I haven't bought tickets yet." This is why I don't speak Disney to people. It was about this time that the lady in front of me said, "just go to the hotel concierge and they will let you in." Yeah, good luck with that.
I feel badly for this person although it’s an example of why when taking a vacation right now, researching the destination is a mandatory part of planning travel. Nothing can be taken for granted re: travel in 2021.

I feel badly for this person although it’s an example of why when taking a vacation right now, researching the destination is a mandatory part of planning travel. Nothing can be taken for granted re: travel in 2021.
I’m sorry, but I don’t think I feel badly at all. This is just plain stupidity. Pandemic times or not, there’s no excuse. I assume she’s not staying at a Disney resort because it’s plastered all over their website about park reservations. Does she own a cell phone? You mean to tell me she has not once googled “Disney world”. It’s 2021, pandemic or not, no one just shows up places without a google search. Lol. I’m not buying it.

I’m sorry, but I don’t think I feel badly at all. This is just plain stupidity. Pandemic times or not, there’s no excuse. I assume she’s not staying at a Disney resort because it’s plastered all over their website about park reservations. Does she own a cell phone? You mean to tell me she has not once googled “Disney world”. It’s 2021, pandemic or not, no one just shows up places without a google search. Lol. I’m not buying it.
Let's hope they have a travel agent who planned everything for them and they are just blissfully unaware of all the details LOL

I'm not asking you to agree with how I'm feeling as the way you feel is just as valid but please keep responses kind and refrain from name calling. This is someone's Disney vacation that will now not happen. :(

It’s not just vacationers who aren’t informed. We were with friends who are locals at Sea World. The dad was upset that there are never any park reservations for Disney when he tries. I looked up what what available at that time. He only is able to go on weekends. I was able to find him plenty of available weekends. Showed him how to see what’s available. So from July when the parked re-opened until December when they were at Sea World with us, he missed so many opportunities to visit Disney with their AP. Now they go often.

Here now. Arrived on Tuesday. Spent the afternoon to closing at AK. Wonderful time with most guests leaving. Had a terrible dinner at the AK Rainforest Cafe. Waited forever for the food. Server came with a cracked glass of ice tea. Tea began to leak all over the table. Glass was completely empty by the time we got someone’s attention.

Wednesday at Epcot. We had a great lunch at San Angel, surprising I know. We booked to save us a wait into the pavilion. Was able to do and see everything. I came prepared to buy preferred parking each day. No need if you make it to rope drop. Our space was three rows behind preferred.

Thursday was MK. We were parked and headed to the ferry shortly after 7. Lots done in the morning before a LTT dinner. Hostess seemed a little annoyed when I insisted on eating at LTT not Golden Horseshoe. We promised ourselves not to get frustrated by others in terms of mask wearing/distancing, but it was very noticeable at MK. Crowds much more noticeable too. I’ve never had a bad encounter with a CM until Pirates. We are 4 fairly large adults. When we gave our party number we were surprised to be given one row. (Normally we were divided 2 and 2). I asked if we could have two rows and the CM said “ lady I work here and I know how many can fit, all of you go to row 5”. We could hardly move! My youngest daughter started to tear up. I think she was just surprised by the CM’s reaction. Next was Splash. The line is quite confusing until it gets closer to the ride. A lady jumped in line in front of us about 15 minutes of a 60 minute wait. I told her the start of the line began at the bridge. She turned around and barked at me with an “ I have a baby, you don’t have to be so fresh!” We decided after those two encounters to leave early.

Decided since we did so much on our first AK half day, to rest and get to the park later today until close. Coming from WA my kids are appreciating a relaxing pool morning in the sun. HS tomorrow before home.

Overall having a good time, but honestly surprised by attitudes and crowd levels. Lots of larger groups. We will not be returning to Disney until entrainment is back. My daughter joked on Soarin how that’s the only fireworks we will get this trip. They are definitely missed. This was a postponed 2020 birthday/graduation gift trip. I would not recommend that any once in a lifetime folks consider going until normalcy returns.

Pandemic or no pandemic travel planning is required for any vacation. To have the foresight to book a flight & lodging but nothing else. You don’t just decide one day to leave for a vacation without planning. Maybe they all just woke up from a coma or released from prison and don't know about cell phones.

Darwinism at it's finest. One less family to have to compete with for a ROR boarding group.

Disney springs on a Sunday afternoon? That’s our arrival day and have reservations for dinner. Wondering how crazy it will be if we go over around 4:30? Not worth it and we should change to a different dinner venue? We don’t mind a few crowds (and are all fully vaccinated) but don’t want to have to stand in line for every store (not just WOD) or every seat in a lounge. Pre-Covid would stop in a few places for a drink and generally just wander. Still possible? I have read that weekends are way busier but wondering if that is more Friday/Saturday. Also the Sunday we are going is Mother’s Day so perhaps that will affect things? Thanks.

Last edited:
Has anyone read the reviews on Trip Advisor lately? For some reason my husband pulled it up. Pages of horrible reviews from this month alone-mainly about how rigid the cast members are about mask wearing (lots of scolding and yelling via megaphones), but also about pricing, bad service, and capacity seeming much higher than 35% but still so many things closed or limited. Doesn’t sound fun. We are going in October so hopefully it will improve. Just curious if anyone has thoughts...we are regulars but our last visit was pre-covid.
I have been to back twice during COVID...February and the 18-24 of April. Honestly it is a different experience then pre-COVID but I went armed with information and certain expectations about how this trip would be different.

The world is experiencing a viral pandemic. There is a mask mandate that Disney is very transparent about and provides that information in many formats. I was able to tolerate my mask well during both visits. They are enforcing mask wearing and I’m sure after telling someone several times the employees are less then pleasant about it. I personally forgot I was not wearing my mask at a quick service and the employee stepped back and sternly asked me to mask up. I apologized profusely because I could see how scared and uncomfortable I made them feel.

Disney is not exempt from supply disruption, employment struggles, and capacity restrictions. Menus are scaled back, contactless ordering is prioritized, transportation and rides are socially distanced. There are less people but also less things to spread them out.

I would say I had a wonderful experience both times. I went knowing that it would not be the same. I learned from my February trip to have ADR for lunch and dinner for a guaranteed meal and mask break. I recommend getting to the park early to get things done, taking a break
and going back for park close.

Understand and prepare for transportation delays. I did a split stay at different resorts this time to utilize the skyliner and walking paths to get to and from the parks. I also hopped to the park that was easiest to get back to my resort at close.

These trips required a little more planning and forethought but as a frequent Disney visitor and a DISer that Is part of the excitement of my trip

I also found several outstanding and friendly cast members as well as those that were stressed and frazzled and less as accommodating. It was no different then pre-COVID. Your experience with employees is directly related to how well you can respect that they are working with difficult restrictions and definite health risk. They are doing the best they know how and I can’t imagine the difficulties of dealing with the public at the level in Which they are required.

I am knee deep in planning for an early June trip. I purposely changed a weekend scheduled resort day from Disney Springs to a Blizzard Beach day. I changed our DIsney Springs day to Tuesday. I did this after reading so many post regarding the crowds at Disney Springs over the weekend.

That’s our arrival day and have reservations for dinner. Wondering how crazy it will be if we go over around 4:30? Not worth it and we should change to a different dinner venue? We don’t mind a few crowds (and are all fully vaccinated) but don’t want to have to stand in line for every store (not just WOD) or every seat in a lounge. Pre-Covid would stop in a few places for a drink and generally just wander. Still possible? I have read that weekends are way busier but wondering if that is more Friday/Saturday. Also the Sunday we are going is Mother’s Day so perhaps that will affect things? Thanks.

If you would like to update your message to include your question, I'd be happy to merge your question with the 'Here Now and Just Back' thread as there are a lot of people there who can share their experiences with you.

Pandemic or no pandemic travel planning is required for any vacation. To have the foresight to book a flight & lodging but nothing else. You don’t just decide one day to leave for a vacation without planning. Maybe they all just woke up from a coma or released from prison and don't know about cell phones.

Darwinism at it's finest. One less family to have to compete with for a ROR boarding group.
I hardly think an oversight about a vacation is "darwinism at its finest" Little dramatic me thinks. Not everyone is as uber obsessed with Disney as we are. There's research and then there's living on these boards. I can totally see someone looking up some info on Disney World right now and managing to miss the part about reservations. Maybe these people aren't super familiar with Disney, maybe they are staying off site. Maybe they stayed before yeaaaaaars ago and thought it was a similar process where they can buy tickets whenever.

If you would like to update your message to include your question, I'd be happy to merge your question with the 'Here Now and Just Back' thread as there are a lot of people there who can share their experiences with you.
I’m not sure what I need to do but that sounds like a great idea. Do I just copy it over?

Went to HS Thursday (4/29/21) As much as I tried to prepare, I wasn't as planned for theis park. We are here for a cheer competition that you have to qualify for, so you don't know you are going way in advanced. Anyway, I spent too much time prepping my job and home life for me to be gone and organizing all the cheer details. So this is a report from a person who had not planned the day and didn't even know the layout of the park! Literally was grabbing a ma near the entrance to find MMRR which turned out to be right in front of my face. 😂

ROTR: I used the resort wifi and I had my laptop open to time.gov. The second it turned 7:00, I hit join and then join again and I got BG 25. Yay!!!

I did not pay attention to the time when we got to HS but it was before it opened, which was great becuase we got to Orlando very late Wed. night and had a time change! We rode MMRR first and we were off that I ride at 9:03. We waited maybe 10 minutes, it was basically just a moving line and never really stopped. That ride blew me away. I did not expect to be looking at a 3D cartoon! Girls loved it too.

Then we decided to go to SDD. The wait said 70 minutes but we waited just under 30. TP said 25, so it was more accurate. I noticed all day that TP had more accurate wait times. While we were in line at SDD we ordered lunch and got the pick-up window reserved. I had it narrowed down to 2 choices (ABC Comm. and Docking Bay 7). They picked ABC.

Our boarding group got called at 9:34. It was almost our turn to board SDD (very cute ride).
We decided to do TSM before heading to Galaxy Edge. Loved the line queue. Don't remeber wait times but we rode it and made it to ROTR by 10:20 so I think we waited around 20 minutes for TSM.

ROTR: Wow! This was everyone's favorite ride of the day! We have limited knowledge of the newer Star Wars movies so I was worried we may not like the ride as much, but that was not the case. We loved it! I can't stop thinking about how great it was! Well deserved hype! After the ROTR, GE was crawling with people, it felt hot and very crowded, so that is all we did there except take some pictures. I wanted Ronto Roasters, but we were overwhelmed with the crowd at GE, so just started walking away! 😂

Ended up having a water break also featuring churros on a bench by Miss Piggy's fountain. Feeling better and refreshed, we rode Star Tours. Waited about 20 minutes. Liked that one too, this was the Star Wars from my childhood. 💓

Girls wanted to ride RNR so we headed down Sunset. Posted 30 minute wait, more like 20. So much fun! That ride is FAST. Who doesn't love Aerosmith??

TOT line was insane with a 100 minute wait, so decided to come back because we had 45 minutes until our lunch window up at ABC commisary. Needing to kill time before lunch and ready for some air conditioning, so we went to Animation Courtyard and walked through the Walt Disney presenets gallery and watched the film. Trying to deal with the heat and the masks were finding it helpful to have breaks like this. We are used to heat (from Texas) and we are theme park people. Normally we can just go and go, but we are not used to wearing the masks all day in the heat. I wear my mask all day at work, but walking around Florida is different! Anyway, we did enjoy the gallery and film. Walt Disney is inspirational and we are fans!!

Lunch at ABC at 1:30. Loved, loved, loved the mobile ordering and indoor lunch. That was so easy and organized and we needed a good lunch. They would not let you in unless you had an order. This was so much better than getting in line and waiting for food in a crowded place.

After lunch, we went to TOT got in line at 2:00 it was still reporting a 100 minute wait, but we were running out of day. This line about killed us! It was hot and miserable. Had a group of 10 or more people (a cheer group for sure) in front of that kept letting people join them in line. I swear that doubled in size. Some of the group kept walked away a few times and came back with food and just ate it in line. It triggers me when people break the rules. They did not care about the marked lines either. Anyway, we waited a good 80-90 minutes for TOT, but the girls loved it and it was a must do.

Then went to the Mouse Gear shop, I think that was on Sunset and the girls bought T-shirts. Finally, we went to the Frozen Sing Along for the 4:30 show. We got there about 4:00 and waited outside the theater socially distanced on spots. I think about 4-5 groups came after us and then they made people wait for the nest show. The waiting area was covered and had fans going, so it was nice and breezy, everyone sat down in thar area. Then the cast members directed us in the theater in an organized way. The 3 teenage girls really belted out the songs. This made me happy because Disney is supposed to bring out the kid in you!

We were ready to go but the girls wanted to split a funnel cake from Epic Eats. Best decision becaurse a calvacade came right by. Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, Edna Mode waving from a car, Sulley, Woody, Jesse, Army Men killing it on the drums and Buzz waving from a car. We were waving and cheering for them like we were 5! The calvacades are a nice little sprinkle of the pixie dust!

I was going to get a coffee from the Trolley Car Cafe, but the line was really long. So we jusy left the park at this point. The crowds seemed to be thinning which surprised me because of park hopping. We would have like to have stayed, but we had something cheer to get to which IS why we are here! I did check wait times and noticed them dropping even TOT was going down. I think it was 45 minutes. If you miss this early, maybe hold off on it as long as you can to see if wait times drop. 🤷‍♀️

Covid impact: It is very hot in the mask when you are not used to wearing one outside all day. Cast members gave lots of reminders to people about masks. mostly to cover their nose. One lady was walking and eating ice cream and a cast member told her she had to be stationary and she rolled her eyes and pulled up her mask and kept walking. Rude! The cast members never said anything about socially distancing. Not once. This is maybe too hard to inforce. We were all as nice as we could be to all cast members because we get the feeling they are probably dealing with some rude people more than usual. Also, cast members didn't seem as happy and peppy as I remember. Feeling bad for them in the pandemic. Final thought, I think the character meet and greets, shows, etc. being unavailable really took a lot away from the experience. Yes, we had a great day, but I have been to Disney pre-covid and that was the magic! I would say hold off if you can until all that comes back to plan your Disney trip. I think you will miss it more than you think.

Also, I would have to get some kind of strategy for TOT. Rope drop or closing. That line was brutal.
Happy that I did know about getting the BG for ROTR and I knew to get lunch ordered and a window selected early in the day. Both of those experiences went very well.

Today and tomorrow we compete! We will be back at Disney Sunday and Monday! 😊😊

... Maybe these people aren't super familiar with Disney, maybe they are staying off site. Maybe they stayed before yeaaaaaars ago and thought it was a similar process where they can buy tickets whenever.

Excellent points and all the more reasons for planning. Either independently or using a travel agent.

No, but your best bet for info is this thread. Yes, there are announcements for wearing masks and keeping distant, but no scolding and yelling from the interactions I’ve seen. Pricing, well it is Disney, everything is more expensive. From all reports, capacity is at 35%, but it may seem higher with activities still closed. In any case, you can get a lot done, especially if you RD. Chances are that capacity will be increased between now and October, but hopefully more things will reopen by then too. From our experience this week, things are loosening up on Covid. Not by Disney, by guest compliance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter