Here now, OMG buses.

I never said anything about letting ECVs load first...they should load first when it is safe for them to load.
But if a bus has too many people on it should the driver make others get off for the ECVs load? Or have them load while people are on the bus? That way the ECVs don't have to wait for the next bus. Is that the equality that was suggested?

And yes we were asked to get off the bus to let 2 ECVs on when they came up right when the bus finished filling. After 10 in their party got on... we were left behind and were the first in the line. After another 30 minites of waiting for the next bus... we called a taxi.

My point is that people rant and rave about an ecv person having to stand in line with everyone, no early loading, etc. but that the peanut gallery is strangely quiet when presented with the fact that people often have to wait for several buses while the line empties and fils again and again due to capacity imits (2 per bus) or mechanical issues.

phorsenuf said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

well at some places where they have multiple bus stops like POR, i don't think they have a choice but to load ECVs onto partially full buses at times if the ECV isn't at the first stop. If they don't load it onto a partially occupied bus, the ECV user will NEVER get picked up.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

They just won't let you on. My husband and I went to eat at Ohana one night and after dinner we went to take the bus to DTD. 4 buses came and left us behind because there were too many people on the bus. No other wheelchairs or ecv's, just people. We waited an hour, yes an hour, before a bus was finally sent to pick us up. We were just getting ready to call a cab. That was a fun night.

Well I can't speak for POR, I was just using that as an example but I have loaded on partially full buses (not to start an argument others have been denied boarding because you very well may have been. I wasn't there with you to witness your experience) But *I* have loaded multiple times onto a bus that is already occupied. Now I have found that the driver who had me back up the ramp into the space was "spot on"! It is by far the easiest was to enter an already occupied bus. And I am complimented by drivers (and sometimes other guests) on my quick parking skills. I've had other guests ask me to park their rental so we can move the bus faster! ;) But I guess I have been Blessed to get Great drivers?! In general, it is not difficult to board a partially full bus if you know what you are doing. :)

Well I can't speak for POR, I was just using that as an example but I have loaded on partially full buses (not to start an argument others have been denied boarding because you very well may have been. I wasn't there with you to witness your experience) But *I* have loaded multiple times onto a bus that is already occupied. Now I have found that the driver who had me back up the ramp into the space was "spot on"! It is by far the easiest was to enter an already occupied bus. And I am complimented by drivers (and sometimes other guests) on my quick parking skills. I've had other guests ask me to park their rental so we can move the bus faster! ;) But I guess I have been Blessed to get Great drivers?! In general, it is not difficult to board a partially full bus if you know what you are doing. :)

What makes you think I don't know how to drive an ecv properly? :confused3

phorsenuf said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

Well I can't speak for POR, I was just using that as an example but I have loaded on partially full buses (not to start an argument others have been denied boarding because you very well may have been. I wasn't there with you to witness your experience) But *I* have loaded multiple times onto a bus that is already occupied. Now I have found that the driver who had me back up the ramp into the space was "spot on"! It is by far the easiest was to enter an already occupied bus. And I am complimented by drivers (and sometimes other guests) on my quick parking skills. I've had other guests ask me to park their rental so we can move the bus faster! But I guess I have been Blessed to get Great drivers?! In general, it is not difficult to board a partially full bus if you know what you are doing.

What makes you think I don't know how to drive an ecv properly?

I wasn't implying that you or anyone else here could or could not drive one properly. My post was more about that it can be done. and that some drivers allow it. Geez....chillax. I wasn't attacking you or your skills. Just sharing an experience....

Actually, if she is sitting there, waiting when the bus pulls up??? She should be boarded first. That allows for the bus to kneel if need be. It is supposed to be a safety issue...and I thought it was the law that ECV/wheelchair were supposed to board before anyone else. But, that may have gone away.

So they have to empty the bus if she isn't the first stop? :confused3 I may be still planning our first trip, but I have seen the maps and there are sometimes a few stops between the start of a run and arriving at a park. Someone can correct me, but do they unload the busses? That would be the way to figure out if it is law or not.

Same goes for ECVs...if the line of people who have been waiting- in the sun, in the rain, in the cold, etc- for over 45 minutes for a bus and you pull up on your ECV just as the bus does, then you basically didn't wait your turn as they will load you first. Arguing that being on an ECV doesn't give you front of the line access might very well be truthful, but, if you are on an ECV, think about it that way. As a parent of a very heavy and sleeping child, with a stroller already folded and holding said child, you should understand why some people will give you dirty looks and say things. It doesn't make it right by any means, but the same people who are expected to give courtesy might appreciate it in return...which brings me back to my point:

Courtesy is a dying thing in our world...I said before and I will say again....it is the holidays. Treat other people with love and understanding, especially this time of year, and you will be surprised how far it spreads.

This is just exactly what happened to me my last trip. I went to Animal Kingdom alone. As it turned out, there was a horrific rain storm in the middle of the day. I was soaked, my Crocs were water logged and causing blisters on my feet, which hurt so bad I could barely walk, and got to my bus stop just as the bus was leaving. I was first in line. It was one of those times when there was about a 30 minute wait for the bus. And, just as the bus came, there was an ECV. I understand all about the ECV boarding first. But, I could hardly wait to get off my feet.

Now, as far as strollers go, to be honest, I disliked balancing the stroller while standing on the bus holding my sleeping son so much that I never took one after the 2nd or 3rd trip to WDW (and we are in DVC, and usually take 2-3 trips a year, and my son is 14 now). I just rented one in the park, but, to be honest, haven't needed one for the past 10 yrs or so.

They just won't let you on. My husband and I went to eat at Ohana one night and after dinner we went to take the bus to DTD. 4 buses came and left us behind because there were too many people on the bus. No other wheelchairs or ecv's, just people. We waited an hour, yes an hour, before a bus was finally sent to pick us up. We were just getting ready to call a cab. That was a fun night. :rolleyes:
When something like this happens, please follow it up with a message to Guest Communications.

P.O. Box 10040
Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista,Florida, United States,32830

joelkfla said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by phorsenuf

They just won't let you on. My husband and I went to eat at Ohana one night and after dinner we went to take the bus to DTD. 4 buses came and left us behind because there were too many people on the bus. No other wheelchairs or ecv's, just people. We waited an hour, yes an hour, before a bus was finally sent to pick us up. We were just getting ready to call a cab. That was a fun night.

When something like this happens, please follow it up with a message to Guest Communications.
email to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.comsnail mail to

P.O. Box 10040
Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista,Florida, United States,32830

Contact Us link on http://disneyworld.disney.go.com, using the topic "My recent WDW visit"

Hey Joel,
You're a driver right? Can I use that to report GREAT drivers? I have had some Fab ones that I would LOVE to recognize!!!

So they have to empty the bus if she isn't the first stop? :confused3 I may be still planning our first trip, but I have seen the maps and there are sometimes a few stops between the start of a run and arriving at a park. Someone can correct me, but do they unload the busses? That would be the way to figure out if it is law or not.

I think it depends on how full the bus. I saw ECV loaded at CBR with some people inside but not even close to be full.

And yes we were asked to get off the bus to let 2 ECVs on when they came up right when the bus finished filling. After 10 in their party got on... we were left behind and were the first in the line. After another 30 minites of waiting for the next bus... we called a taxi.
Exactly one of these three things is true:
You were gullible and were flimflammed into getting off.
2. Now would have been a good time to make a scene and tell the driver to deplane, er, debus, er, put off someone who came after you including but not restricted to the entourages of the ECV guests. (He could elect to simply drive on, with you standing inside against the front door.)
3. Granted, the bus driver made an error in telling you to get off and end up not being able to let you back on. But Disney needs to step up to the plate and make it right upon your request. It's hard to say exactly what Disney should do for you since it would vary depending on how much effort it takes you, including waiting at Guest Relations. BTW they could have saved face by getting another bus there within nine minutes (less than half the normal headway)?

We could say that the bus driver lost control of the situation when the ECV guest's entourage forced its way on. But still, a blamable error did take place somewhere in the mix. Some of you fiendish folks will say it was #1 above, which is fine provided we can agree that no one should ever fall into that trap again. Since Disney likes to keep to a minimum the summoning of security, whay not have bus drivers carry some goodies to hand out. For example ask for volunteers willing to get off in exchange for a fastpass to Toy Story Mania, the latter handed out on the spot?

This is another example where a few handicapped parties make a bad name for all handicapped parties and they all suffer as a result. I can think of additional methods of dealing with this but such methods are quite esoteric and should instead be saved for another program.

This thread is like the energizer bunny.

Does everyone agree there are alot more EVC s at WDW than years past??

Why do you think this is? If you think so?

Because there are more people visit Disney then before, because regular visitors, those who go for 20 years and more are getting older.

Because there are more people visit Disney then before, because regular visitors, those who go for 20 years and more are getting older.

And because Walt Disney World is so accessible and disability-friendly (and not just related to mobility/stamina). And because people who need wheels - full- or part-time - are comfortable being out in public. And because society realizes the handicapped don't need to be hidden away at home.

And because Walt Disney World is so accessible and disability-friendly (and not just related to mobility/stamina). And because people who need wheels - full- or part-time - are comfortable being out in public. And because society realizes the handicapped don't need to be hidden away at home.

:thumbsup2 You are so right!!

My boyfriend has Cerebral Palsy and uses a power wheelchair. He loves going to WDW because in his words he "feels normal" there. Cast members and guests talk to him not at him. He can stay in the chair for many of the rides and has a blast. I am thinking people in ECV's probably feel like he does. The disability doesn't get in the way, he feels free.

KellyNY said:

I agree. When we started going 35 years ago, we would never have believe we'd be using any sort of mobility device. My mom was totally healthy and mobile until she wasn't. We are so grateful to still have us traveling together. :)

Lylone,. Ftr, I'd be ticked if that had happened to us too.

We aren't ones to make a scene or start an argument. It was right after a nice late dinner at the Contemporary. After the incident and 30 minutes we still had to endure the fun DTD switch to get to our resort. We do taxis now in the early AM and at night after dinner when going to another resort.

well at some places where they have multiple bus stops like POR, i don't think they have a choice but to load ECVs onto partially full buses at times if the ECV isn't at the first stop. If they don't load it onto a partially occupied bus, the ECV user will NEVER get picked up.

Absolutely correct. And when I've been at POR, I've seem multiple ECV guests heading over to the Main Depot...they 'say' it's easier to board there. Sad to say.

Now, that's a good attitude. When do you get to WDW in Dec? Maybe we're there at the same time???
I have spent time with someone using an ECV at WDW. She uses it at home as well. And I have to say that my eyes were opened that night!!! She is very good on that thing....and yet, people were always cutting her off, stopping dead in front of her, giving her the hairy eyeball when she arrived at the bus stop...even though there was a grand total of 4 people standing there when we arrived.

We arrive December 15th and leave the 23rd. Have to be back to spend Christmas with the family. I am not sure how good I will be at driving one but I do plan on practicing at Kroger and Home Depot very early (before 7am at Kroger) when no one is there. We have a rental car for most of our trip except the last 2 days. We are at BLT so we plan on sticking to MK and EPCOT the last two days so no buses for use unless the DTD urge hits us on Saturday night.

When are you going? This is our first time during Christmas. I have been the week after but never the week before.
Ooops, I leave on the 13th. You will love the parks at this time of year....so much fun!!!

I never said anything about letting ECVs load first...they should load first when it is safe for them to load.
But if a bus has too many people on it should the driver make others get off for the ECVs load? Or have them load while people are on the bus? That way the ECVs don't have to wait for the next bus. Is that the equality that was suggested?

I can understand ECVs having to wait for one more bus...it happens. BUT...if you are on an ECV, at a stop, ready to go, and you have been patiently waiting, you should be able to board the bus. Yes, there may well be guests sitting in those seats that you would need for the ECV to be tied down at. And yes, those guests would be expected to get up and move....that's what the signs above the seats state!!! Not sure why anyone would be surprised to be asked to move from them. IF the bus is already pretty full, with people already standing, then no, the ECV may not be able to be accommodated. People should never be asked to get off the bus in order to allow an ECV to board...that is far from fair and equal treatment.

My point is that people rant and rave about an ecv person having to stand in line with everyone, no early loading, etc. but that the peanut gallery is strangely quiet when presented with the fact that people often have to wait for several buses while the line empties and fils again and again due to capacity imits (2 per bus) or mechanical issues.
Oh, I think the 'peanut gallery' is quiet because they know that rudeness will get them deleted!!! Polite, civil discussion is always welcome here.

No, the bus shouldn't be unloaded. The goal if for equal treatment..not preferential treatment!!! Sometimes an ECV may have to wait until the next bus arrives. And that should be expected. BUT....when someone has to wait through 2 or 3 buses, that are almost empty because those buses can't mechanically accommodate the ECV??? That's wrong!! And hugely unfair. The vast majority of the buses, should be able to accommodate ECVs. I think that sometimes there are drivers who just don't want to take the time or effort. And that's sad!!!

Absolutely!! A lot more ECVs as well as more large strollers. When I first started going to WDW, back in '99, you saw a lot of those umbrella strollers...not nearly as many of the huge strollers you see today. Then, it became commonplace to bring a touring vehicle as a stroller..fully loaded with everything, and anything, a family 'may' need during the day in the parks. Add to those the increasing numbers of ECVs, and there is the possibility of huge clogs and bottlenecks in the parks, especially during crowded times. I have been in MK, after the fireworks show ended, when it's dark and not very well lit around the actual hub area. I have been rammed by both ECVs and strollers....all with the rider/pusher yelliing 'I need to get through, please move over...I have to get through here!!!'...oh, and we don't??? Seems that sometimes those using ECVs or strollers think they get priority passage!!!
It's probably got something to do with the ease of getting an ECV at WDW as well. There do seem to be those who persist in thinking that being on an ECV is going to get them places more quickly..and that just isn't the case. Maybe as time goes on, people will start to realize this and use their own feet to get around.
I truly don't believe that there are more ECVs/scooters in the park because the country's baby boomers are aging. As a whole, we are a pretty healthy group!!! We are the group that has been exercising and eating right. People are getting more unhealthy as a whole though.....I see so many people on ECVs who have absolutely no idea how to ride one. They bang into things and people. They have no clue how to stop them efficiently. They ride them at the highest speed they can get to. Yes, there are many reasons for using an ECV at WDW when you may not need one at home. But...if that is the case??? Learn to ride it correctly before you go to a crowded park!!!

This is all about common sense and common courtesy. If every single person used these two things, then life in the parks would be ever so much nicer!!! It is not 'you first, right after me'!!!!

No.
They don't have to empty the bus and don't empty the bus.
It is easier, safer and faster to load an ECV or wheelchair on a bus that is empty. So that is why they load them first at the parks and at individual resort bus stops.
I think it depends on how full the bus. I saw ECV loaded at CBR with some people inside but not even close to be full.
We usually stay at OKW and are usually getting on at Miller's Road bus stop, which is the next to last stop.
By that point, the bus is seldom empty. There are almost always quite a few people on. Sometimes, the driver asks people to move from the seats that are needed to make a wheelchair or ECV spot on the bus.
Sometimes the driver asks people to please make room for us to get on.

Bus drivers do not require other guests to get off to make room for a party with a wheelchair or ECV. I have seen a few posts from time to time where people write that they were told to get off (one of the few was on this thread).

I think that those cases are misunderstandings of what the bus driver is asking. If the bus driver says things like,
"Can you please move out of these seats because I need to load a wheelchair?"
"Can you please step out of the way to make room for the ECV?"

Most people would understand those things as getting out of the way temporarily to make space or giving up those seats to make space. A very small number might interpret it to mean get off to make space.
Over more than 20 years of WDW visits with someone using a wheelchair on the buses, we have never seen anyone who thought that they needed to get off and not get back on when the driver asked them to move out of the way.

If people would need to get off the bus to make room OR if the bus is already standing room, our experience is that the driver tells us the bus is too full and we will need to wait for the next bus.
Some drivers do not want to load a wheelchair or ECV - we have occassionally been told by a driver that he can't ask the people sitting in the wheelchair securement spots to move (even when there are many other seats available). Even when the driver comes out and basically whispers to us, many people hear or know we need the spot and move anyway. We have seen more than one driver who told the people they don't need to move after they volunteered. 100% of those people move anyway.
Occassionally there is a group who refuses to move ( even when seats are available for them to move to). When that happens, we have to wait for the next bus.
::yes::
:thumbsup2 You are so right!!

My boyfriend has Cerebral Palsy and uses a power wheelchair. He loves going to WDW because in his words he "feels normal" there. Cast members and guests talk to him not at him. He can stay in the chair for many of the rides and has a blast. I am thinking people in ECV's probably feel like he does. The disability doesn't get in the way, he feels free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter