• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hertz horror stories- worse than other companies?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
Our rental quote for Aug is significantly less than Alamo, which we normally use without issue. Only thing is the scary reviews recently posted about unsafe and dirty cars, overcharging, long waits, and the lack of reserved cars. DH is considering joining Hertz Gold to avoid the line, but I'm concerned about putting our credit card number on account with them. We adjusted our flight time to mid morning to have a better chance of having more cars available (originally landing 8:30PM. That's my story and I'm sticking to it lol). Anybody have recent experience with Hertz who can share how it went?

They filed for bankruptcy and their operation went down hill. The last time I rented a vehicle from them it wasn’t in the best of shape. It definitely wasn’t up to their standards before their BK filing. I’d hard pass on them.

I want to add my story from today. I booked with a corporate code and my email said 'Pay at counter amount" 271$. This included all fees and everything. Its a great rate. I checked online the other day and noticed my new price was now 570$. This price reflected the addition of the insurance plan which I 100% denied when I booked. I called up this morning and was put on hold and disconnected atleast 3 times. The last girl I spoke to took my screenshots and emails and came back and said "the rate is not fixed this is your new rate the price can go up anytime for any reason" So I asked why it lists insurance the rate online was still the same so the price reflected the added extra. "We dont see any extras listed on this reservation" So I emailed and sent the picture with it showing it listed the extra. Than she came back with "Ok we cant remove this extra the system wont let us". " So you need to cancel and rebook at the higher rate" So at this point im really confused because I NEVER added this extra so they can jsut add this without my permission. She even verified that no changes were made by me since booking date. At this point its been 2+ hours on many holds and hang ups and they said nothing they can do so they canceled teh reservation because im not paying for something I dont want.

I believe they noticed the lower rate I was getting and the system added the insurance to make it close to a non corporate booking so they dont lose money. They pretty much wanted me to cancel imo.

Attachments

• emailhert.png
    emailhert.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 31
  • hertz.png
    hertz.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 31
I used Hertz in October and it was the best experience I've ever had renting a car. I walked right out to the garage, found my name on the board, went to that spot, put my luggage in and left. Compare that to Alamo in DEN in November where I had to wait in a 45 minute line to get to a person, then go through all of the hard upsells for things I don't need.

We have Hertz Gold and have never had issues with customer service or car quality. Of course we skip the counter and choose our own vehicle, so that helps.

I hadn’t used Hertz in years but have done my last two rentals at MCO through them and it has all gone smoothly.

I want to add my story from today. I booked with a corporate code and my email said 'Pay at counter amount" 271$. This included all fees and everything. Its a great rate. I checked online the other day and noticed my new price was now 570$. This price reflected the addition of the insurance plan which I 100% denied when I booked. I called up this morning and was put on hold and disconnected atleast 3 times. The last girl I spoke to took my screenshots and emails and came back and said "the rate is not fixed this is your new rate the price can go up anytime for any reason" So I asked why it lists insurance the rate online was still the same so the price reflected the added extra. "We dont see any extras listed on this reservation" So I emailed and sent the picture with it showing it listed the extra. Than she came back with "Ok we cant remove this extra the system wont let us". " So you need to cancel and rebook at the higher rate" So at this point im really confused because I NEVER added this extra so they can jsut add this without my permission. She even verified that no changes were made by me since booking date. At this point its been 2+ hours on many holds and hang ups and they said nothing they can do so they canceled teh reservation because im not paying for something I dont want.

I believe they noticed the lower rate I was getting and the system added the insurance to make it close to a non corporate booking so they dont lose money. They pretty much wanted me to cancel imo.

I guess that is one way to get rid of the customers that got a good price & now they can confuse & trick the guest to give up & cancel.
With issue like this... is there a way to speak to Corporate Monday- Friday? I would never trust after hours or weekend phone conversations.

Iguess we should be thankful for DVC Member Services after all no matter what we endure!

Ouch. That Hertz :duck:

I just checked my rental for November that utilizes my corporate code. No change to my cost 1 week plus add 1 day for minivan for $405. I will keep an eye on it and update if there are any changes.

a curious Hertz story .... at a different airport:

You may be aware Hertz is now a part of Dollar/Thrifty <as fall out of their bankruptcy?>, in the same way that Enterprise, National and Alamo are all one company (even share same physical office at Port Canaveral)

recently arrived at Dallas/Fort Worth airport with a ressie with Dollar (lowest cost that had a car) and with the state of rental cars in general had trepidation. Came around the corner and saw a HUGE line at Hertz ...... and just a few at the Dollar counters and was able to walk right up to an agent. Ressie was found, no issues, no attempt to upsell and agent said I'll walk you out to your car. We got to the garage and LO there's NO cars in the Dollar area. Agent turned and led me to Hertz area and pointed to a row of cars "green one looks good, the keys should be in it ... have a nice day."

:drive:

Yikes! I just checked our Sept ‘21 reservation with Sixt. After seeing troubling reports during spring break we decided to lock in for $70/day even tho we used to find $40-50/day. Today the rate for our category is $159/day and the next lower is $139/day. Guess I won’t be recommending Sixt going forward; it’s now the same crazy rates all the other companies charge for luxury SUV. Probably related to them finally having a counter at MCO (versus needing a 5-10 minute shuttle trip), plus the industry shortages and the prospect of DME ending.

I have also had multiple rentals with Hertz on trips in the past 12 months and have not seen any change in the state of the vehicles. I think it is pretty easy to pick out the comments about Hertz issues since the bankruptcy, but you find these type of comments about all companies. Just very easy to jump on they are in bankruptcy and things are awful, nobody posts I had a wonderful time with my car rental experience.

a curious Hertz story .... at a different airport:

You may be aware Hertz is now a part of Dollar/Thrifty <as fall out of their bankruptcy?>, in the same way that Enterprise, National and Alamo are all one company (even share same physical office at Port Canaveral)

recently arrived at Dallas/Fort Worth airport with a ressie with Dollar (lowest cost that had a car) and with the state of rental cars in general had trepidation. Came around the corner and saw a HUGE line at Hertz ...... and just a few at the Dollar counters and was able to walk right up to an agent. Ressie was found, no issues, no attempt to upsell and agent said I'll walk you out to your car. We got to the garage and LO there's NO cars in the Dollar area. Agent turned and led me to Hertz area and pointed to a row of cars "green one looks good, the keys should be in it ... have a nice day."

:drive:
No Dollar/Thrifty were bought into the Hertz corporation in 2012. So in truth all 3 are included in the bankruptcy for Hertz Global.

Last edited:
I have used Hertz for years without any issues. We rented through them in Hawaii and had the car for 3 weeks. I booked well in advance and got a decent price before all of the price hikes. I got there, they had my car and the price was exactly what I booked it for.

We used Hertz for the first time out of Sanford 5/30-6/6. I originally had a reservation booked with Alamo for 473.00. We have always had a great experience with Alamo. I had made that reservation back in March 2021. I kept checking to see if the price would go down but it never did. I always receive coupons through carrentalsavers.com but would always delete them. This time I didn't and they had Florida Coupons listed under Hertz. I checked rates using this coupon and I received a price of 373.25. I was pleased. I kept my Alamo reservation with the hopes the price would come down but it didn't so I cancelled it. I signed my DH up for gold awards. We arrived at the Hertz counter at Sanford on 5/30 around 10:45. There was 1 customer in front of us being taken care of. It was now our turn. The agent was very pleasant. I asked if she wanted my print out of the reservation but she said no just your last name. She found the reservation and acknowledged my DH was a Gold member. She started clicking away and then it was time for the credit card. She states the price would be 650.00 >:( :oops: . I said no that is not the price for the reservation. She does more clicking and my DH is muttering under his breath saying I knew we should have stuck with ALAMO. She asks for the print out. I had the price highlighted. She then asks what company we work for. I said what does that matter. She says this is a corporate coupon. I said no, this was a coupon through carrentalsavers under coupons for Florida rates. She does more clicking. Then she says, this is the third time this company has done this. I said if that is the case, why do you advertise with them? She clicks away and says we will honor your rate that you were quoted. When the car is returned, your rate will be reflected on your print out. She then brings us outside where there are only 3 cars left. On June 6th we return the car. We are told the receipt will be emailed to you. I check before we leave the area and sure enough we were back to 373.25.

We used Hertz for the first time out of Sanford 5/30-6/6. I originally had a reservation booked with Alamo for 473.00. We have always had a great experience with Alamo. I had made that reservation back in March 2021. I kept checking to see if the price would go down but it never did. I always receive coupons through carrentalsavers.com but would always delete them. This time I didn't and they had Florida Coupons listed under Hertz. I checked rates using this coupon and I received a price of 373.25. I was pleased. I kept my Alamo reservation with the hopes the price would come down but it didn't so I cancelled it. I signed my DH up for gold awards. We arrived at the Hertz counter at Sanford on 5/30 around 10:45. There was 1 customer in front of us being taken care of. It was now our turn. The agent was very pleasant. I asked if she wanted my print out of the reservation but she said no just your last name. She found the reservation and acknowledged my DH was a Gold member. She started clicking away and then it was time for the credit card. She states the price would be 650.00 >:( :oops: . I said no that is not the price for the reservation. She does more clicking and my DH is muttering under his breath saying I knew we should have stuck with ALAMO. She asks for the print out. I had the price highlighted. She then asks what company we work for. I said what does that matter. She says this is a corporate coupon. I said no, this was a coupon through carrentalsavers under coupons for Florida rates. She does more clicking. Then she says, this is the third time this company has done this. I said if that is the case, why do you advertise with them? She clicks away and says we will honor your rate that you were quoted. When the car is returned, your rate will be reflected on your print out. She then brings us outside where there are only 3 cars left. On June 6th we return the car. We are told the receipt will be emailed to you. I check before we leave the area and sure enough we were back to 373.25.
Thats crazy. Yea the CS person I had said the rate is variable so it can be anything not the reservation price.. which has me worried lol

Thats crazy. Yea the CS person I had said the rate is variable so it can be anything not the reservation price.. which has me worried lol

I don't think that is a thing in the rental car business. I have never heard of that ever happening and I think the employee just made it up because they wanted more money. When you reserve a car, it is a contract. They can't just decide to change the terms of the contract no more then the consumer can. I would read over the rental agreement they have posted and if it is nowhere on there, then they have to give you the same rate you booked it for. Ask them if they want a lawsuit. The get away with this crap because people don't think it's worth it to fight them.

Just returned my Hertz rental yesterday. 9 day rental from MCO for $410 with a general discount code that I probably cannot mention here. 2021 Mazda SUV with 4800 miles. Easy check in (first time Gold needed to see attendant in garage) and easy return. I usually rent with Alamo but they were 2x the price.

She says this is a corporate coupon. I said no, this was a coupon through carrentalsavers under coupons for Florida rates. She does more clicking. Then she says, this is the third time this company has done this. I said if that is the case, why do you advertise with them?
Hmmm was that actually funneled thru Priceline? Know I’ve had a couple that landed there. Might be more in PLs end re the non-general code used.

Should be able to see the corporate code utilized in any reservation confirmation guess it’s something to check (Google) going forward to make sure it’s a public one

Just a Hertz data point: picked up this evening in MIA. “Name in lights“ on the big board with “Gold” indicated. Chose a car, quick stop at the kiosk, estimated total exactly right and away I went. I had received an email this morning as well with details on how to get to the rental center and telling me to go directly to the garage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter