HHI LOVERS THREAD

Disney has always stopped and started storylines--it's in their DNA. Same goes with performers. I will say that within the petition itself, I found the closing lines about DHHIR being an "inferior product" without B'Lou and Shadow to be dispiriting, as if the only thing worthwhile about the resort were those two characters. I know it stings to lose something you hold dear--I'm not a fan of the loss of wilderness at the Wilderness Lodge when they built the Cascade Cabins, for example. Lacking that entertainment, I would urge guests to enjoy the other beautiful and endearing aspects of a visit to DHHIR--there is much to love. :thumbsup2
Best aspect of DHHIR are the cast members! They are always the best and willing to help!

Disney has always stopped and started storylines--it's in their DNA. Same goes with performers. I will say that within the petition itself, I found the closing lines about DHHIR being an "inferior product" without B'Lou and Shadow to be dispiriting, as if the only thing worthwhile about the resort were those two characters. I know it stings to lose something you hold dear--I'm not a fan of the loss of wilderness at the Wilderness Lodge when they built the Cascade Cabins, for example. Lacking that entertainment, I would urge guests to enjoy the other beautiful and endearing aspects of a visit to DHHIR--there is much to love. :thumbsup2

Please take the dispiriting comment of inferior product as it was probably intended - to push the petition, and not as a jab against the many excellent cast that have come and gone from all the Disney venues, not just HH.

If I've seen you at the resort I don't 'know' you under your Dis name, but know that I appreciate the work you do and that I also know at our HH every cast member there has had a part in making the resort what it is.

And changes at the resort have always made us unhappy when something has been taken away, even when the event was not always well attended or received. Recently HH became the place to go during the pandemic, but other than summer and weekends, it was an empty place during some of my visits. I've been on many beach walks with just a few people or even just me. I've sat while B'Lou played his fiddle for 2 or 3 of us. And when it was just me, and no one else showed, he didn't perform but did have a nice conversation with me. I'd seen his various performances many times so told him that I would forego it.

But, Shadow - that's just another thing altogether. On one trip I left Orlando and by the time I got to HH I was feeling miserable. The front desk asked me if there was anything they could do and I said, no, just need to rest and take some tylenol and get to sleep. Later they checked on me and then I received a small token gift to make me feel better. The best part - a card signed by Shadow! I still have it and it's my 'big kid' special memory. If Shadow is no longer part of the story, I will really miss her.

And that said, there have been a number of Cast members at HH who made their mark. One that comes to mind is Chef Gordon, who used to do food and wine events, mostly after pool hours at the Beach House. I still remember the shrimp cooked with butter and cream and served with yukon gold potatoes mashed up with some sweet potatoes. So delicious! When they closed out his purpose, he eventually ended his days working in the Mercantile and I enjoyed getting a greeting from him each time I came. Then there is Mike, the pool guy. Never a visit went by that he didn't start up a conversation about whatever or give a recommendation on something to do, somewhere to go or some new place to dine. All these things have personalized the resort for many of us.

And rarely have I returned there when there wasn't some sort of staff change. People come and people go, but somehow the resort remains an inviting place.

My grandchildren call it the 'green hotel' and love the hammocks, the playground, and when they walk through they make up stories about the 'houses' and the memorabilia here and there throughout the resort. One is 5 and the other is 4. They each have 5 and 4 visits so far, respectively, and they look forward to going each time, because it's 'home' away from home for them. Made special by all the HH people.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, or how much can be posted here, but I found a GoFundMe for B'Lou Crabbe that was started a few years ago for medical reasons. Assuming it's valid, it may be one way others can reach out and support him.

ETA: Google "B'lou Crabbe GoFundMe Hilton Head"-- I'm hesitant to post too much personal information here, but hopefully, this is enough to lead others to the campaign.

Last edited:

Is it possible the medical reasons are preventing his appearances?
That's what I'm wondering, but I don't want to speculate too much about situations without any firsthand knowledge. Perhaps he wasn't actually cancelled by Disney, but is unable to return or decided to retire. I do hope he is doing well and that the decision was voluntary, but it's hard to tell with all the entertainment cuts Disney has been making recently.

That's what I'm wondering, but I don't want to speculate too much about situations without any firsthand knowledge. Perhaps he wasn't actually cancelled by Disney, but is unable to return or decided to retire. I do hope he is doing well and that the decision was voluntary, but it's hard to tell with all the entertainment cuts Disney has been making recently.
I agree. Looking at the photo, I fear it's personal/medical reasons that have caused his sudden departure, and he may have declined to have Disney publicize it.

I agree. Looking at the photo, I fear it's personal/medical reasons that have caused his sudden departure, and he may have declined to have Disney publicize it.

But if that were the case, where's Shadow? On the most recent trip when Shadow and we were both there, I noticed that a different CM was handling Shadow.

My family loves all things Disney and DVC has allowed us to take this love to a new level.

We thought using points in any way not WDW related was a waste ....... until we started going to the DVC property in Hilton Head.

The property is Disney through and through. Great location, big rooms, the Beach House and simply the best cast members Disney has to offer. The area offers so much to do and the food; oh my, the food.

We began allotting part of our points each year for HHI, until recently when we added a new home resort.

What things continue to make you want to go time after time?

Totally agree with you . We went for our firstt trip this past August , and we just closed on some direct points for HHI.
We are still learning , so I'll will be reading the responses !

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-d...296843-en-US&utm_content=fht-31296843-en-ca:6
For many years, B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow have greeted, entertained and warmed the hearts of countless DVC members and guests at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. From B'Lou's masterful storytelling and fiddling, to Shadow's loving tail wags and belly rubs, these two cast members transcend their official roles and have become indelibly linked with the resort in the minds of any guests who have had the pleasure to stay there.
Part of the reason for staying at a Disney resort is the unique experience of being able to step into a story. While all cast members contribute to this, some are so integral to the process that the story cannot go on without them. This is the role that both B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow occupy in the Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort story. Their mere presence is part of what makes the resort into what it is.
Through various daily appearances and events, B'Lou has introduced countless DVC members and guests to the rich cultural history and traditions of the Low Country, as well as explaining the history of the resort itself. Shadow's regular appearances are just as popular as any other Disney character meet-and-greets, proving that she has definitively attained Disney celebrity status.
Disney has recently made the heartbreaking and inexplicable decision to end the presence of B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow at DHHIR. While Shadow's name and likeness are found all over the resort as well as on countless merchandise, and B'Lou's events occupy prime space in the daily schedule, Disney has removed them from the resort experience. The fact that no explanation for this has been given to the thousands of DHHIR DVC members and guests amounts to a slap in the face. It is impossible to know how such beloved cast members can simply be "cancelled" while still expecting members and guests to spend their hard earned money on what has now become an inferior product.
Disney, as the master of creating and telling stories, please reconsider your decision to cancel B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow at DHHIR. Do not let this be how the story ends.

For many years, B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow have greeted, entertained and warmed the hearts of countless DVC members and guests at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. From B'Lou's masterful storytelling and fiddling, to Shadow's loving tail wags and belly rubs, these two cast members transcend their official roles and have become indelibly linked with the resort in the minds of any guests who have had the pleasure to stay there.
Part of the reason for staying at a Disney resort is the unique experience of being able to step into a story. While all cast members contribute to this, some are so integral to the process that the story cannot go on without them. This is the role that both B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow occupy in the Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort story. Their mere presence is part of what makes the resort into what it is.
Through various daily appearances and events, B'Lou has introduced countless DVC members and guests to the rich cultural history and traditions of the Low Country, as well as explaining the history of the resort itself. Shadow's regular appearances are just as popular as any other Disney character meet-and-greets, proving that she has definitively attained Disney celebrity status.
Disney has recently made the heartbreaking and inexplicable decision to end the presence of B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow at DHHIR. While Shadow's name and likeness are found all over the resort as well as on countless merchandise, and B'Lou's events occupy prime space in the daily schedule, Disney has removed them from the resort experience. The fact that no explanation for this has been given to the thousands of DHHIR DVC members and guests amounts to a slap in the face. It is impossible to know how such beloved cast members can simply be "cancelled" while still expecting members and guests to spend their hard earned money on what has now become an inferior product.
Disney, as the master of creating and telling stories, please reconsider your decision to cancel B'Lou Crabbe and Shadow at DHHIR. Do not let this be how the story ends.

Yes, but the petition states "no explanation for this has been given." So, I am unaware of an official statement from Disney or B'lou that refers to a forced termination or a voluntary resignation.

Yes, but the petition states "no explanation for this has been given." So, I am unaware of an official statement from Disney or B'lou that refers to a forced termination or a voluntary resignation.
Sorry, you are not aware...

Shadow says "Woof".
🙂

I will miss them both so much. Shadow was always the tail wag we were missing from home and soothed our hearts from missing our own pups while on vacation.

I'm also not very happy with Disney with some of their decisions and what most are calling 'the money grab'. Unfortunately all that has cost them in good will. No more benefit of the doubt in cases like this one. Bit by bit what made Disney, Disney is disappearing. Very thankful for the Castmembers who still go above and beyond every day but even they seem to be slowly disappearing.

Sorry to be so negative but I also feel foolish for not seeing this coming.

Yes, there are many of us who feel the same about Disney's direction. I was selected for a survey recently on the member website. It was the first one that I have ever filled out that was mostly negative.

Anyway, we just got back from HH last week and it was wonderful! There were many outside contractors working in Building 30. We saw some furniture going in and it looked like new cabinets as well. I think those might be some of the "test" refurbs that sleepydob25 mentioned below.

(there is a major refurb coming next year with a few suites out of inventory being used as "test" rooms, so who knows for the future),

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter