*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Here is the March guide at DHHIR! (I will post on page 1/post 1 and try to update monthly.)
(I will not be going in April, so if someone can post it on here, I will repost it.)

We were there last week and as usual had an awesome time. It did rain a bit during our stay but mainly just sprinkles during the day.

Cast members continue to be awesome! Above and beyond for little things. Generous with their time.

Spent quite a lot of time at the beach house this trip. Spotted dolphins several times.

Had a dole whip twice! Meant to check out the Mercantile for any new stuff, but never got around to it.

Spotted an Eastern Bluebird between the bicycle area and the pier while waiting for Pluto. Snapped a blurry cell phone pic. Usually I just see shorebirds and a few wrens and sparrows and squirrels so the pop of color stood out.

Got takeout from Nectar. We went for breakfast and there was a huge crowd so decided takeout would be quickest. 'Okay' but I think eating in is the best breakfast idea there. They missed putting some items in my bag such as my biscuit, condiments.

edit: They also seemed to be short staffed. Outside seating was not available although one customer tried hard to get them to allow it as a 'special request' for their party. I was sitting inside during this time waiting for the conversation to be over so I could place my order. The potential customer was not taking no, and kept giving them reasons why they should be allowed to be seated outside, but they did not get to sit outside. Not sure if they waited or left. They wasted 5 minutes of my time as I was ready to order when they interrupted and started their appeal.

Did deli offerings at Whole Foods. Was able to get fresh asparagus and other veggies as well as grilled chicken and pasta. Can't do all those delicious fried foods.

Had a bounty platter one morning and it was very good. Mostly like a continental style smaller breakfast, but sometimes eggs and Mickey waffles are nice!

Last edited:
If anyone is traveling to DHHIR in April, can you upload the experience guide to this thread?
Our next trip is Mother's Day, so we will post the May, June, and July experience guides after those trips.

We leave today and it was a very wonderful Gal’s trip. We had 1 1/2 days of rain so we never visited Pinckney NWR or take a dolphin watch tour but the three who went to Savannah really enjoyed that get away.

Our most delicious restaurant meal was at Poseidon and our Sea Shack meals and the take out from Slapfish were close seconds.

We bought fresh local shrimp from
Piggly Wiggly as recommended and that was one negative. The ones we bought were on the extra large pile, but my friend the cook felt about 1/2 of them were definitely smaller. She didn’t want to go back to complain but I intend to write them a letter. She felt ripped off. Anyway she prepared a most delicious meal, fried shrimp, shrimp pasta salad and steamed local clams. Wow!

Our villa’s bedding got 5 out of 5 points for comfort and that included the sleep chair and the pull out in the studio portion. :) I asked them for their honest opinion and that is still their answer. Definitely up to their expectations and comfort!

Our upstairs neighbors were heard by us late at night and early morning. That’s a well known problem here.

The friendliest cast members work here and all of us experienced a “Wow” encounter with not only one but multiple cast members.

I am lucky to have a short 3 night trip next month here with my DH. After that I have a few health conditions which need to be addressed. I am blessed to have had this time with special friends at a most wonderful retreat in the hustle and bustle of a first class destination, Hilton Head!

I have done a very poor job planning! We’re looking for dining suggestions, please! I’m looking at Nunzio, not sure if I should reserve outdoor seating just in case it is raining. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:
I have done a very poor job planning! We’re looking for dining suggestions, please! I’m looking at Nunzio, not sure if I should reserve outdoor seating just in case it is raining. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
SEAFOOD:
1) Fishcamp on Broad Creek. Outdoor seating (and indoor), good service, excellent food, and only 10-12 minutes from the resort. AND they take reservations via phone or Resy.
2) Skull Creek Boathouse. Lots of outdoor seating and a good bit of indoor, as well. Extensive menu including the best low country boil around. No reservations and they can get busy, but if you get there early, the wait shouldn't be too bad. A very local hangout. 15-20 minute drive.
3) Hudson's on the Dock. Ditto what I said about Skull Creek Boathouse--no reservations, good menu (not quite as large as Boathouse), and locals frequent it. Very near Boathouse, so also 15-20 minute drive.
4) Ela's on the Water. It's in Shelter Cove, perhaps an 8-10 minute walk. Much better and nicer than Scott's but also a tad more expensive. Some outdoor seating. I believe they take reservations.
5) Scott's Fish Market. Meh. Decent and literally a 5-minute walk, but you can do better. Still, it's very convenient and not bad.
OTHER:
1) OMBRA Cucina. Best Italian on the island. It's in Wexford Village which is all of a 5-minute drive. Definitely recommend reservations, and I wouldn't wear a t-shirt and shorts, but it's a great place for nice, casual dining and great Italian food (the chef cut his cooking teeth in NY and is Italian).
2) Michael Anthony's. Similar to OMBRA and close to OMBRA but just a notch below (as in A- vice A+). They do serve osso buco on Friday nights. Yum and ee.
3) Hilton Head Social Bakery. Next to Scott's and a true French patisserie as the executive chef hails from France where he grew up working for his dad in a patisserie. A bit pricey, but very good for breakfast croissants, quiche, sandwiches, tarts, and so much more.
4) Tide Me Over. On site and they make fresh Mickey waffles among other goodies.
5) Starbucks is in Shelter Cover Centre, a mere 10-minute walk.
6) Coffee bar in the resort's Lodge from 0600-1000 and 1400-1800. Only Keurig coffee and maybe some packaged cookies (in the afternoon), but if that's your thing.

SEAFOOD:

2) Skull Creek Boathouse. Lots of outdoor seating and a good bit of indoor, as well. Extensive menu including the best low country boil around. No reservations and they can get busy, but if you get there early, the wait shouldn't be too bad. A very local hangout. 15-20 minute drive.
Is this the restaurant that will cook your catch for you? We have a fishing trip booked for Monday morning (ending at 2) and I'd like to go there for dinner...but I can't remember if this is the right place. I remember we went to a restaurant last year that cooked our catch for us, and the wait for indoor seating was 2 hours, their outdoor seating was unavailable (by 5pm!)...but we were able to walk up and sit at the bar right away! So that's what we did! The food was great and it was a different experience for us, but we definitely would prefer to actually sit down for a "real" dinner. If we go around 3:30-4pm on a Monday, will we have a huge issue getting a table indoors?? It might have been Skull Creek Dockside...I can't remember! Ugh! I don't want to walk into the wrong one, carrying a bag of raw fish :eek: :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Is this the restaurant that will cook your catch for you? We have a fishing trip booked for Monday morning (ending at 2) and I'd like to go there for dinner...but I can't remember if this is the right place. I remember we went to a restaurant last year that cooked our catch for us, and the wait for indoor seating was 2 hours, their outdoor seating was unavailable (by 5pm!)...but we were able to walk up and sit at the bar right away! So that's what we did! The food was great and it was a different experience for us, but we definitely would prefer to actually sit down for a "real" dinner. If we go around 3:30-4pm on a Monday, will we have a huge issue getting a table indoors?? It might have been Skull Creek Dockside...I can't remember! Ugh! I don't want to walk into the wrong one, carrying a bag of raw fish :eek: :rolleyes:.
Not sure re: cooking your catch. I can only say that if you get to either Hudson's or Boathouse by 4 p.m., you shouldn't have much of a wait except during the busiest part of the summer.

Less than 4 weeks away 'til vacation begins! :banana:

I've got 2 questions please...

There is a lot of chatter on the DISBoards that some WDW resorts are struggling to have rooms ready at 4PM? What's the availability time if Grand Villas at Hilton Head been lately? We're about an 18 hour drive away and I really don't want to be waiting to get in when we arrive. We'll modify our departure time if need be.

The Vero Beach cottages have Keurig coffee makers in the kitchen. What do the Hilton Head Grand Villa have?

Thanks!

There is a lot of chatter on the DISBoards that some WDW resorts are struggling to have rooms ready at 4PM? What's the availability time if Grand Villas at Hilton Head been lately? We're about an 18 hour drive away and I really don't want to be waiting to get in when we arrive. We'll modify our departure time if need be.

The Vero Beach cottages have Keurig coffee makers in the kitchen. What do the Hilton Head Grand Villa have?

Thanks!

While in a Grand Villa in November 2021, there was a regular 10 cup drip coffee maker. Same coffee maker I had in my 1 bedroom in January and in my studio in March. There is a keurig in Live Oak Lodge in the den off the check in area with free coffee pods (WDW 50th anniversary Joffreys), 6-10am and 2-6pm.

There are some comfortable seats in the den plus an outdoor deck area with comfortable patio furniture. Also hammocks right behind the building as well as a nice swing seat looking over the marsh. Not sure if the adirondack chairs are still there. On arrival checkin parking is very convenient. If your vehicle is not oversized, there may be room under the lodge or right out front, steps away.

Check in is at 4pm. If I remember correctly we got ours by 3pm. I will state that I've never had to wait past 4 for a villa at Hilton Head. It probably happens but hasn't been my experience since 1997. I've probably jinxed my next trip!

I like to arrive on the island by noon and have a nice lunch. Then check in and if room is not ready, head over to the beach house. If the weather is nice enough, I'm ready for a walk on the beach. If not there is a nice ac'd lounge area, which is usually almost empty where you can relax until your room is ready or you can enjoy the pool area. Oh and if you don't feel like driving to the beach house, take the shuttle and let the check in people know as they seem to keep in touch with the shuttle drivers. It's like 5 minutes each way through Palmetto Dunes.

With an 18 hour drive I'd keep whatever schedule you've settled on. Driving may mean all will go well or there may be construction, slowdowns or crashes that can delay you.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Judique's post above is excellent, so I'll only add my small perspective. First, no Keurigs in the rooms at this time, just drip coffee makers. As mentioned, there is a coffee bar in Murggie's Den during select hours that has a Keurig. However, the closest GVs are 16 & 18 which are about a 3-minute walk--not bad if you really prefer a Keurig. (Also, a Starbucks is another 7-8 minute walk from the resort.)

Second, on any given day, nearly every room is ready by 4 p.m., though that's never a guarantee. There are many issues factoring in to whether a room is ready "on time." These include late checkouts (a chronic issue at HHI because guests hate leaving the serenity), extremely dirty/messy rooms, and housekeeping staffing issues among others. Worst case scenario is the guests don't leave until right at 11 (or even later), the GV is trashed, and the housekeeper can't get in right away due to the late checkout so has started another room. Generally speaking, though, guests have vacated by 11, and the housekeeper is keeping an eye out for that departure so she/he can get in to start the cleaning process that usually takes at least 4 hours. The GVs have over 1800 sq ft of living space, two stories, 3BRs, 4BAs, a huge kitchen/dining room, stairs, and even a fireplace that may have been used (yes, even during the warmer months). All that to say, though, in 95% of the cases for a GV, they are done by 4 p.m. So, your odds are good.

Finally, as Judique mentions, even if your room isn't ready when you arrive, the resort is beautiful and intimate and easily explored with a simple, leg-stretching walk. There is pool in Murggie's Den, yard games scattered around the resort, and of course, the pools are open for you to enjoy. Have a great trip!

The GVs have over 1800 sq ft of living space, two stories, 3BRs, 4BAs, a huge kitchen/dining room, stairs, and even a fireplace that may have been used (yes, even during the warmer months).

We definitely enjoyed the fireplace. I don't have one in my home and neither do my kids, so it was a treat for us.

I want to 'up' this size number a little based on the DVC resource center resorts information above in 'Purchasing DVC'. The info they provide states that the villas are sized as follows:

Hilton Head Island Villa Sizes
-Studio: 455 sq.ft.
-1BR: 856 sq.ft.
-2BR: 1311 sq.ft.
-GV: 2362 sq.ft.

The open air cathedral height of the living/dining area does make it feel grand, complete with a balcony landing that runs across between both upstairs bedrooms, with the staircase doing a turn as it comes down in the middle towards the living area.

We have had catches cooked at both Hudson's (which is down the road from Skull Creek Boathouse and Skull Creek Dockside) and Scott's (which is right across the bridge from the resort).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter