• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Heritage Week on HHI! (Tickets are SOLD OUT!)
Hope everyone gets their plaid ready for this week!
Page 1 has been updated.

Next years points, and 2024 are set aside for family and a friend. Family may decide not to go, but friend is solid. We are swapping on our own. She will book some nights at Aulani for me, and I will book HHI for her. Neither of us own at Aulani, but getting there at 7 months has worked three times for us in the past.

That’s why I will be seeing what’s available at 7 months for awhile. Tom and I have gotten very used to one bedroom here.

Is one night at DHHI resort worth it? We have been wanting to try this resort for a few years but there was never any availability (we are not DVC members). We will be in Hilton Head for our spring break vacation this year, so I decided to check for availability and managed to get a single night at the end of our stay in HH. Now I’m debating if a single night is worth it.
Update: We managed to get 2 nights at the resort in the end. I kept on checking the website until a few days before and was able to find the additional night. We had a lovely time in a 2 bedroom villa. Having that extra night was definitely worth it this time of the year (early April) as we had some rain and colder weather and having 3 days/2nights gave us more flexibility and allowed us to see and do a lot more. It was a wonderful stay!

We're here in HHI right now, and having a lovely time! I'm very grateful that the "days of endless rain" that were originally forecasted from Friday through Tuesday, turned into beautiful weather Friday to Sunday (even if my kids would argue yesterday was TOO hot), and today is a lovely cool rainy day that we had intended to be "hang out in the rooms to relax" anyway. Admittedly, this trip was full of relaxing! I definitely see the appeal of this resort, and we will definitely be back.

We check out tomorrow morning, so our 5 day stay is almost over. We have a dolphin & nature boat tour in the morning as a bit of a "grand finale" and then it's back to the far-less-warm northeast.

We didn't get a second floor room, but did get a view of the marsh -- we're in building 27 (sorry the 37 was a mistype one my phones small keyboard!), which is right next to the boardwalk, the community center & Tide Me Over, and the pool, so everything is right near us. And thankfully our upstairs neighbors aren't too rowdy. :) All in all, I'm very happy with our room and location, and we have beautiful views of the marsh - mostly unobstructed, too, framed so prettily by Live Oaks.

I really want to take my extended family here at some point, but debating the logistics of it. My father has Parkinson's and his mobility is extremely limited so he would need to be in the main lodge, but that also puts him far away from everything, so I'm not sure HHI would be the best place to stay for him. Does anyone know if there are wheelchair rentals available here?

Last edited:
Update: We managed to get 2 nights at the resort in the end. I kept on checking the website until a few days before and was able to find the additional night. We had a lovely time in a 2 bedroom villa. Having that extra night was definitely worth it this time of the year (early April) as we had some rain and colder weather and having 3 days/2nights gave us more flexibility and allowed us to see and do a lot more. It was a wonderful stay!
Glad you enjoyed your visit to DHHIR!

We're here in HHI right now, and having a lovely time! I'm very grateful that the "days of endless rain" that were originally forecasted from Friday through Tuesday, turned into beautiful weather Friday to Sunday (even if my kids would argue yesterday was TOO hot), and today is a lovely cool rainy day that we had intended to be "hang out in the rooms to relax" anyway. Admittedly, this trip was full of relaxing! I definitely see the appeal of this resort, and we will definitely be back.

We check out tomorrow morning, so our 5 day stay is almost over. We have a dolphin & nature boat tour in the morning as a bit of a "grand finale" and then it's back to the far-less-warm northeast.

We didn't get a second floor room, but did get a view of the marsh -- we're in building 37, which is right next to the boardwalk, the community center & Tide Me Over, and the pool, so everything is right near us. And thankfully our upstairs neighbors aren't too rowdy. :) All in all, I'm very happy with our room and location, and we have beautiful views of the marsh - mostly unobstructed, too, framed so prettily by Live Oaks.

I really want to take my extended family here at some point, but debating the logistics of it. My father has Parkinson's and his mobility is extremely limited so he would need to be in the main lodge, but that also puts him far away from everything, so I'm not sure HHI would be the best place to stay for him. Does anyone know if there are wheelchair rentals available here?
Glad you are enjoying your visit to DHHIR!
I am not sure about wheelchair rentals, but other posters on this thread may be able to answer this question.

Last edited:

We didn't get a second floor room, but did get a view of the marsh -- we're in building 37, which is right next to the boardwalk, the community center & Tide Me Over, and the pool, so everything is right near us. And thankfully our upstairs neighbors aren't too rowdy. :) All in all, I'm very happy with our room and location, and we have beautiful views of the marsh - mostly unobstructed, too, framed so prettily by Live Oaks.

Which building are you in? There is no Building 37. The main lodge isn't too "far away from everything," but I can see it would be far for someone with mobility issues. A scooter would be a perfect solution. Not sure if there are any rentals in the area. Sleepdog25 might be able to help with that.

We were in a position once to have to look into this (broken pelvis a few days before our trip). Although we gave up and bought/brought our own, I did check and see that there was a medical supply place on the island that was highly rated and rented wheelchairs. But I would call the resort front desk for recommendations. Also, once recently, I noticed a wheelchair in the closet that they store luggage in. However, that may be there in case a guest falls and injures themselves at the resort.
Out at the Beach House, I HIGHLY recommend this wheelchair. Sorry it's a sideways picture. It's the resort's, and they'll gladly let you borrow it to go out onto the beach. Warning-the trip to the beach is very difficult. DH was having second thoughts about the whole thing. However, once you're there, it's wonderfully easy to maneuver. I got the impression that the CMs welcome the opportunity for someone to borrow it-they were very helpful in getting me transferred.

Attachments

• IMG_2543.JPG
    IMG_2543.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 5

Sounds as though you were in either 27 or possibly 24. The former is on the far side of the pool while the latter is on the near side (i.e., closer to the Lodge). Further, 27 is very close to the pier which does have a boardwalk out to the fishing/observation area. For future visits, if you need the use of an elevator then, yes, you would have to book either Bldg 11 or Bldg 12 as they share an elevator. However, they are also exclusively composed of 1BRs and studio lockouts which can serve as a 2BR of sorts if you book it that way. Unlike the typical 2BR's guest room, the studio will only have the one queen bed and a queen fold out sofa vice two queen beds in a true 2BR.

Yes, there are wheelchair rentals on the island; however, there are currently two wheelchairs available on a first come, first served basis at the resort itself. And, yes, there is the beach wheelchair at the Beach House, also first come, first served. pirate:

Which building are you in? There is no Building 37. The main lodge isn't too "far away from everything," but I can see it would be far for someone with mobility issues. A scooter would be a perfect solution. Not sure if there are any rentals in the area. Sleepdog25 might be able to help with that.
Ooops! That was a mistype. 27. My phone’s keyboard is small!

Is the 2nd bedroom in the 2BR villas all deckless, or is that just lockoff units?

Is the 2nd bedroom in the 2BR villas all deckless, or is that just lockoff units?
What I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that all of the dedicated 2-BRs have only a balcony off the living room, except for Buildings 14, 15, and 17. Those 2-BRs are dedicated but have a second balcony off the second bedroom. All the lock-offs have two balconies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter