• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HI From the wheelchair taxi driver

WHEELCHAIRTAXIDRIVER

Wheelchairtaxidriver
HI I'm a wheelchair taxi driver at disneyworld. I love my job. This my very first posting and would love to hear from any body who has question or suggestions.

Welcome to disABILITIES! :wave:
Happy to see you here.

WHEELCHAIRTAXIDRIVER said:
HI I'm a wheelchair taxi driver at disneyworld. I love my job. This my very first posting and would love to hear from any body who has question or suggestions.

Hi, I'm a WHEELCHAIRTAXIUSER. On my last trip I had terrible trouble getting a taxi for me and my wheelchair. The dispatcher promised me a ride within 20 minutes but I waited and waited and called again and waited and waited and called again and....

When the taxi eventually arrived, he told me there were only six wheelchair taxis serving the area from Kisseme to Sandford and that at off-peak hours most of those would be off the road. He said that I should ignore the dispatcher and phone him on his mobile a couple of days ahead of time and he would arrange to pick me up.

I won't be at WDW again 'till October 2005, but would welcome your phone number by private message, if you offer a similar service. I assume you have a Galaxy van or similar with a lowered floor and wheelchair ramp.

Andrew

Hello there! Are you saying that there are taxis at disneyworld that can accommodate a scooter! or only wheelchairs? My mom uses one :moped: and has no problem with boats or monorails but does NOT want to use the bus. Where can I learn more about your services? We will be back in feb-march...thanks!

moonmomma said:
taxis at disneyworld that can accommodate a scooter! or only wheelchairs?

The taxi that eventually picked me up was big enough for a scooter, and your mom would have been able to ride sitting in it. The only possible problem would have been the length of the scooter. The back seat would need to be folded to fit a scooter in, reducing the number of seats for regular passengers. My wife had to ride up front with the driver.

Unless there are more wheelchair taxis on the road now (since my last trip September 2003) you will find it very, very difficult to get one, especially in the middle of the day.

Andrew

Hi, Sorry to hear that you had problems. We now have 6 new vans(ford freestars) and 3 existing vans. It was very good advice to keep personal contact with the taxi driver. I may have been that driver.

Andrew Bichard said:
The taxi that eventually picked me up was big enough for a scooter, and your mom would have been able to ride sitting in it. The only possible problem would have been the length of the scooter. The back seat would need to be folded to fit a scooter in, reducing the number of seats for regular passengers. My wife had to ride up front with the driver.

Unless there are more wheelchair taxis on the road now (since my last trip September 2003) you will find it very, very difficult to get one, especially in the middle of the day.

Andrew

WHEELCHAIRTAXIDRIVER said:

Well, welcome...
You drove me to/from WDW a couple of times...Great trips!!...How was your vacation?

Welcome and Hello! I didn't know this service was available! How do I contact your company? There are times a taxi ride would be a welcome relief from the bus. I use an ECV.
Thanks for any info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter