Hollywood Brown Derby or Le Cellier?

ashm

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! Hoping you all can help me decide between The Hollywood Brown Derby or Le Cellier? Thank you!!

Le Cellier has really great steak, but the seats are super close to each other. I haven't been to the Brown Derby, but I've heard good things about it. Are you planning on being in one park over the other?

We really enjoy LeCellier! I know it does not get a lot of love on these boards, but we really like this eatery. We get great service and super good steaks. We love a good steak and they have always cooked ours perfectly.

I have not been to Brown Derby, so no comment there.

We really enjoy both of them. We usually do BD for lunch and get the Cobb salad plus dessert on our HS day with dinner at 50’s PTC and always have a dinner at LC on one of our Epcot days.

HBD!! We had lunch here today. It was the best meal in the past four days for me. Had short rib with pomme frites and the incredible grapefruit martini. Kristen was a great server, too!

HBD is a REAL "Signature Restaurant". LC is a fake, elevated for Crowd Control.

Now having said that.... HBD is being pushed downhill, due to the total rebuild at HS. LC remains a fake SIG.

What would REALLY help.... you mentioned TWO choices, in different Parks. So I'm thinking you have flexibility as to location?
From EITHER HS or EPCOT... you can grab the BOAT, and have a GREAT RIDE to the Swan-Dolphin complex. HERE? "There be REAL RESTAURANTS".
Shula's (best Steak & Lobster on property), Il Mullino (best Italian on property), BlueZoo, Yachtsmans .... really, ALL of this is much better than "Park Food" :(. Parks are lovely - but they generally have very POOR food.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

In my opinion, the best steak on the property is the oak-fired filet mignon at California Grill -- and only $3 more expensive than Le Cellier. On a recent trip, we dined at both Le Cellier and Hollywood Brown Derby -- both restaurants were good, but prefer the setting of Hollywood Brown Derby and the variety of selections on the menu. But, both restaurants have table/seating that is close to each other, if that is a concern. You really cannot go wrong with any choice - Enjoy!

I like the food at LC, but its not cheap, the tables are very close together, and can be very noisy. Very dark inside.
We like HBD much better. HBD can also be loud and noisy. The tables aren't packed as tightly. Much better menu options. We like the atmosphere at HBD better.
Both are good options.

Neither, to be honest. If you want my honest opinion, you can do better when it comes to picking 2 credit restaurants. I've eaten at both of these twice. They're not bad and the meals were pretty good, overall, but the overall dining experience has tended to be rather unpleasant at both of these places due to very poor service and the overall vibe. I gave them each a 2nd try since the food is good and it's weird I had the same negative overall experience generally at both.

Le Cellier gets incredibly busy and they don't manage the tables well at all - it's a rushed experience and yes it's Disney, but I mean, it's noticeably more rushed and abrupt than usual. The steaks are also served very minimally, like slab on a plate with little fanfare or dressing or much of any sides that I remember - this has been mentioned by many who have eaten here and the quality is not that special for the price. I was also witness to a horrible scene of the most irate and angry diners I have ever seen who let management know what a horrible time they had and screamed and shouted about it at the place where the maitre'de greets you.

As for Hollywood Brown Derby, food is pretty high quality but wait-staff is very rude and snobby and demeaning in how they treat you, and I have eaten at all the two credit resort restaurants as well as Victoria and Alberts many, many times, and I have never seen such pretentious and rude behavior from wait-staff in my life but here. There is just like a bad atmosphere here, somehow. It has never felt welcoming, it's very quiet and odd. Love the decor and the Hollywood cariactures, though on the wall.

To be honest, you get most of the best service, generally speaking, at the Resort restaurants, both single and two-credit ones alike. If you're in that area, I would hop a boat or walk the international gateway to one of the Epcot resort eateries for truly outstanding service and food. Or go to one of the other countries' eateries which are far more delightful and treat their patrons better.

Of the two, I prefer HBD. Le Cellier is good, but it's very steak-centered, so if you are looking for something more creative, you won't find it there. I find HBD has more interesting and more flavorful dishes and they all come with a side (instead of having to order something separately at Le Cellier). If you don't mind leaving either DHS or EP, you will find better food at the EP resort signatures. Flying Fish at the Boardwalk is outstanding and a very short walk from EP through the IG.

Of the two, I prefer HBD. Le Cellier is good, but it's very steak-centered, so if you are looking for something more creative, you won't find it there. I find HBD has more interesting and more flavorful dishes and they all come with a side (instead of having to order something separately at Le Cellier). If you don't mind leaving either DHS or EP, you will find better food at the EP resort signatures. Flying Fish at the Boardwalk is outstanding and a very short walk from EP through the IG.
I've heard so many great things about that restaurant! We may just have to try it!

In my opinion, the best steak on the property is the oak-fired filet mignon at California Grill -- and only $3 more expensive than Le Cellier. On a recent trip, we dined at both Le Cellier and Hollywood Brown Derby -- both restaurants were good, but prefer the setting of Hollywood Brown Derby and the variety of selections on the menu. But, both restaurants have table/seating that is close to each other, if that is a concern. You really cannot go wrong with any choice - Enjoy!
We have a reservation at California Grill on a different night :) I've heard nothing but great things about it!

We have a reservation at California Grill on a different night :) I've heard nothing but great things about it!
I didn't like it. I've tried it twice and both times it was a bad experience and I'll never go back. The waitstaff were terrible and rude and the food was just okay, which for the prices it should have been more. I had really hoped the second time we went would redeem it, but it was worst than the first. Their brunch is amazing though.

Brown Derby!!! Le Cellier is overpriced and overhyped. I sadly gave LeCellier more than one chance and felt all I got for that was ripped off, poor service, subpar food and high prices... RUN!

Last edited:
I prefer BD. LC puts too much salt on their food. I like the steak at Jiko more than LC. One thing about Brown Derby is that you can have street performers come in and interact with the tables. I don't know if this happens at dinner, it hasn't for us, but it has happened during lunch time. Apparently it is more likely to happen if the weather it's not suitable for them to be outside.

Brown Derby!!! Le Cellier is overpriced and overhyped.... subpar food and high prices... RUN!
Agree, Le Cellier was once a sleepy dining option until Dining Plans went mainstream. Then guest sought out a steak option, an option that provided … in their eyes value by getting a high cost menu entree. So the demand started to grow for Le Cellier along with the chatter about steak for 1 dining credit. The menu continued to be adjusted to manage cost and it was falsely promoted to Signature to help manage cost and manage demand.

Brown Derby! We went this past June again, the wait staff was great and so was the food. Our food was slow getting to us and the manager came out and gave us a little pixie dust. They sat us in a more back room so it was quiet too though the main dining room can be loud at times. The Cobb salad is awesome. Le Cellier is ok but not a favorite mainly due to the atmosphere.

Having dined a both on multiple occasions I would choose HBD. The food at HBD is good and it's a nice/comfortable place. LC can be good but it's not the best steak on property (that's Shula's) and you likely have a better steakhouse in your hometown where the prices are more reasonable.

Of the two, I much prefer Brown Derby and have always had great service there. Not sure how you narrowed down to these two, but Brown Derby is perpetually on our overall wish list. If it doesn’t make the cut, it’s because Hollywood Studios is our least favorite park at the moment. I thought Le Cellier was fine but not extraordinary and as someone mentioned it’s a very small dining room and the tables are quite close together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter