Holy crap - flights for 2019 are SO EXPENSIVE!

friedela

DIS Veteran
We flew from Calgary to Orlando a little over a month ago and paid $700 round trip each, we got the Westjet master card and got a companion flight so that helped. But when I was looking for flights for next February around the same time I was shocked at the prices! $1200 for direct?? That is absolutely insane. :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: Has airfare gone up or something or will they go down?

Last edited:
I have been checking January prices for a return flight from FLL to YYZ. The outbound flight was in December and it’s $377 one way. The return flight is at $680-781 right now. Hoping it will drop in a month or so as predicted by Hopper.

Keep an eye on Google flights and set up alerts with them. I found great prices for lots of flights using them. I bought our flights for our August trip in January from Halifax to Orlando and paid $310pp (return trip) for 5 of us. Saved $1100 compared to our 2015 flights.

Keep an eye on Google flights and set up alerts with them. I found great prices for lots of flights using them. I bought our flights for our August trip in January from Halifax to Orlando and paid $310pp (return trip) for 5 of us. Saved $1100 compared to our 2015 flights.

great tip, thanks! I didn't know about google flights.

Yeah, it's still pretty early. I just bought our flights for next month's trip at about $750, flying from YEG. Download the Hopper app and have it monitor the prices for you.

I think it depends on what week you are looking at too. I know March Break week here is lowest when it first comes out, wait and it keeps climbing. But February/January usually drop after they first come out. November appears to be a really good time to go to Florida (from Ottawa at least), there were flights, direct to MCO, for about $250 each round trip... I never get those prices the weeks I can travel lol.

Google flights and Hopper are both good for keeping track though.

At least from Vancouver we have the advantage of being able to make the 3 hr drive to Seattle if there’s a cheaper flight. Haven’t checked flights for next year yet, eek.

I recently booked our flights (direct on Westjet from YYC) for late Jan 2019 as soon as they came out. We booked the Westjet direct from YYC and paid $795. We used our companion flights, as well as free Westjet dollars valid for a couple of days that they sometimes email out. Currently the same flights have gone up to $950, after only a couple of weeks!

When we went Feb 2016 we paid $761 for the same direct flights (I booked later that time, probably 7 months out, but that was back when Westjet still had the price drop guarantee. I think I initially paid almost $900 but then got the difference back when the price went down 4 months out).

There's no direct flights from Edmonton. We have a layover in Houston both ways.

Actually, Westjet runs a non-stop flight seasonally (Nov-Apr or so) from YEG and back on Saturdays. We've used it twice now and have always found that the best price (about $700 pp) is usually only seen for the first couple of weeks they are available. They do get snapped up pretty quick.

And there's nothing wrong with United's connection in IAH either. It's the one we often end up on. Used to love the redeye that got you to MCO at nine-ish. Check your reservation now and then and see what they're offering to upgrade to first class, usually down at the bottom of the page. We once got into first class for an extra $180 each. Total ticket price was around $700 each if I recall correctly. I thought it was a great deal.

We flew from northern BC through YVR to MCO in February. We ended up booking our flights in October when there was a seat sale and ended up paying $575 return pp. I would definitely wait. I watched the flights like a hawk using the Hopper app and they were consistently in the $700 pp range closer to the flight dates.

Flying out of Saskatchewan is not the easiest, especially since both Delta and United left Regina. AC does not offer direct flights. Fly you to Toronto then take a Rouge flight... no, thank you. Westjet offers direct flights, seasonally, one year it was Thursdays, this year was Fridays. We have found it more convenient and cheaper to drive to Saskatoon and fly with Delta.

Flying out of Saskatchewan is not the easiest, especially since both Delta and United left Regina. AC does not offer direct flights. Fly you to Toronto then take a Rouge flight... no, thank you. Westjet offers direct flights, seasonally, one year it was Thursdays, this year was Fridays. We have found it more convenient and cheaper to drive to Saskatoon and fly with Delta.
Drives me nuts. I mean, it's not like Regina is the capital of the province or anything! :sad2: Saskatoon gets everything!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter