Hong Kong Disneyland

Bring an umbrella if you are going in the hot months. We wished we had had one to protect us from the heat.

Also, consider going in the "single rider" lines. It seems it is not culturally a comfortable thing for the Chinese to do this....... so my husband and I went "single rider" on space mountain 4 times in a row with no wait!! (We even sat together a couple of times).

I have tons of pics, but not on this computer. Will try to remember to come back and post them.

We really enjoyed our Disneyland Hotel experience - from the room, to staff, pool, food and ambiance - a really good, well thought-out hotel, and unlike other Hong Kong Hotels - lots of space and room. Do yourself a flavor and stay more than 1 night. Most obviously the location is great for the Disneyland Park - but getting into.

Any tips for staying off resort? My hubby and I are making plans for our first trip over there. We are of course going to do the Tourist thing. I wanted to go to HKDL and he has been wanting to go to Hong Kong forever so I figured why not knock out two birds with one stone.

Anyways wondering if anyone stayed off resort at a hotel around HKDL or near the air port? Trying to get prices and all that.

Any tips for staying off resort? My hubby and I are making plans for our first trip over there. We are of course going to do the Tourist thing. I wanted to go to HKDL and he has been wanting to go to Hong Kong forever so I figured why not knock out two birds with one stone.

Anyways wondering if anyone stayed off resort at a hotel around HKDL or near the air port? Trying to get prices and all that.

I stayed at Langham Place in Mongkok when I went to HK Disney. It was an amazing hotel, I loved it. And it's very easy to get to Disney from there. Hong Kong is so small and the metro is so convenient that as long as you stay someplace near a subway stop you'll be able to get to Disney pretty easily.

Okay so here is another question we are thinking about going in Feburary or March is that a bad time of year to go. I noticed most people said the park has low attendance. But with my luck I'll go the day it's packed. We are waiting that long to save up money and wait for DH to finish training also it's kind of a b-day gift since he has been waiting to go there forever!

What's typically the prices on hotels out there? I am gonna look into the hotel that was stated above and I've seen a few others but the resort hotel is out of my budget....

I stayed 1 night at the HK Disneyland Hollywood hotel and spent the remainder of my stay at the Salisbury YMCA of Hong Kong. It's not at all like what you'd think of a YMCA- more like a clean, basic hotel in a terrific location (on Kowloon, walking distance to the Star Ferry); since it was affordable, I paid a little extra for a room with an amazing view of the harbour. They even had room service. Would totally recommend it.

I'll actually be back in HK in a few weeks, but since I'm only there for a day, I'm not going to hit HK Disneyland; too much else to see- HK is an amazing city. You won't regret going there.

Okay so here is another question we are thinking about going in Feburary or March is that a bad time of year to go. I noticed most people said the park has low attendance. But with my luck I'll go the day it's packed. We are waiting that long to save up money and wait for DH to finish training also it's kind of a b-day gift since he has been waiting to go there forever!

What's typically the prices on hotels out there? I am gonna look into the hotel that was stated above and I've seen a few others but the resort hotel is out of my budget....

I went on Chinese New Year to the park last year....it was busy, but still was able to see almost everything in the park. Note that Chinese New Year is February 15th this year.

I stayed at the Silvermine Beach hotel...it was about $80 a night IIRC (I got it with a flight package from Manila so can't remember the exact amount), it wasn't the most luxurious hotel but I enjoyed that it was secluded and very peaceful, it's also right near a ferry boat stop that comes from Central. It was a bit south west of HKDL.

If you go into HK near Star Ferry becareful of the people doing a survey with prizes it is about a time share resort do not bother as it has a hard sell.

HK is so beautiful if you can stay at the Hollywood Hotel and you get a second day into the park for free

We are going back again soon

Hi abc999! I'm so excited that there's another DISer going to HKDL!!! I've been there for 4 times in the past 3 years.

HKDL is very small compared to Disneyland, which means less walking!:rotfl2: It has the new Space Mountain just like the one at Disneyland in CA and it also has the Golden Mickey show that is not to be missed!

Just bear in mind that given the language difference, most of the shows are performed in one of the 3 languages (English/Cantonese/Mandarin) at difference show times. I usually grab a showtimes schedule at the park entrance to check what time the shows are performed in English.

I personally think that the food in HKDL is great, especially the snacks items, which have a special local twist to it!

Let me know if you have other questions! Hope you'll have a great trip!:thumbsup2

the space mountain doesn't go upside down then?

i liked the space mountain in CA.

the space mountain doesn't go upside down then?

i liked the space mountain in CA.

Yes, Space Mountain in CA, Tokyo and Hong Kong are basically the same.

The main differences are that Tokyo's queue is the best but there's no on-board audio, DL has on-board audio and so does HK, but the HK queue is severely lacking (IMO)

Just wondering about the Golden Mickey's show.

Is it the same as the one on DCL Wonder?

Curious to know how helpful are the Chinese with the language barrier?

I never had any language problems at all. All signs are in English (as well as Chinese). Jungle Cruise was offered with 3 lines depending on language- one English. Stitch Encounter was offered at different times in different languages... but I didn't feel any need to visit it.

There's enough English language in Hong Kong in general that I've never had any language problems, especially around the major tourist areas.

LOL that earlier in the thread I said I wouldn't hit HKDL when I was in HK this yr... oops, I somehow ended up there. :)

Agreed, English wasn't a problem at all when I visited Hong Kong...it's one of the major languages overall since it was a British colony for so long.

is the hotel right by the park? is that far from other city sights/touristy places? :flower:

is the hotel right by the park? is that far from other city sights/touristy places? :flower:

The official hotels are a short shuttle bus from the parks. They are a little far from the major tourist sites- however, it is super easy to get around Hong Kong on the subway which has a stop right by the park.

On my first trip to HK, I stayed 2 nights at the Disney Hollywood hotel and did the park, and then transferred to a hotel in the heart of the tourist area. I think that worked perfectly for me- but again, it would have been easy to get around even if I'd stayed by HKDL, although it would have taken a little longer.

Hong Kong is an awesome place to visit; I highly recommend going there if you have a chance.

thank you, BelleBway! haven't even thought about staying onsite for a little bit, and then going elsewhere! that's a wonderful idea, b/c it sounds like the park is small enough to be able to finish it in a day.

this thread has been so helpful, b/c our vacation is still in the "planning" stage...so i'm just trying to get info/ideas...doing research! again, thanx for the info, everyone! :flower:

I would be prepared with an autograph book. There were so many characters walking around and NO LINES. In fact, it was almost sad how no one seemed to care about the characters :(

There is an awesome doll house in one of the stores in Main Street - lots of Disney details!

Also, if you have time, watch Aristocats before your trip. I'm not sure why, but Marie is very popular in both Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Take the time to check out the merchandise. The rounded-style character items (not sure if that makes any sense), some pins, ball-shaped beanbag pillows, etc. were available in Hong Kong a couple of years before the EXACT same merchandise was available in the states. The items you see in HKDL are a good indication of what you might see in the WDW and DL in the next few years.

That being said, I went right after the park opened and things may be very different now. I have some pics in the my Disneyland pre-trip report (link in signature).

We are going to Disneyland Hong Kong tomorrow and we haven't plan anything. I hope we don't miss too much as most of you mentioned DLHK is really small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter