Hoosier's Going To Alaska..Wonder 6/2/2014 PTR

basketrn

Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor manten
Hello Everyone! This will be my first ever report (pre-trip, trip, food, etc). Never done one, so bare with me!

We are booked on the June 2nd 2014 Disney Wonder Alaska cruise. It will be me, DH, DS (17), & DS (5). My mother recently decided she would like to go, so just booked last week too.

Here is the family on our non-Disney cruise this summer (RCCL, Oasis)

And Mom on her last Disney Cruise

A little about us...I am the Disney freak of the family. We are DVC members, so try to make a trip to the world at least twice a year. I do all the planning, and I am very OCD about the planning!! This will be our 4th Disney cruise (2nd time on the Wonder) and my moms 2nd Disney cruise. We have never been to Alaska, or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest for that matter!!

We have 223 days until our trip begins and here is what I have planned so far. We recently purchased our flights (when SWA opened up there June flights) to Seattle. We arrive around 10:30am on Saturday. As far as what we are going to do & where we are going to stay in Seattle, haven't decided yet. I have a wish list (food tour, Pike Place, Seattle Needle, Duck Boat, Mt Rainer) but haven't decided yet. As far as where we are staying...again have no clue yet. We do want to rent a car too, so that may play into where we stay since parking downtown costs. So Saturday & Sunday are a work in progress!

Monday morning I do know we will be driving to Vancouver, parking at Canada Place and getting on the Wonder :

As far as port excursions, I have a good idea on what we want to do, just waiting to discuss with mom & husband to see what they think.

Skagway- Dyea Dave Tours up and train down

Juneau- Orca Enterprises for whale watching, Tracys King Crab Shack, and maybe Mt Roberts Tramway

Ketchikan- Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman Tour (Husband loves Deadliest Catch, and he specifically requested this...which never happens :)

After disembarking, we plan to stay a few days in Vancouver. Hoping to book with Club Intrawest Vancouver Resort and use some DVC points, but can't book until 4 months out, so need to come up with plan B. Here is my wish list for Vancouver: Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Stanley Park, Harbour Cruise, Fly Over Canada ride (at Canadian Place). We haven't decided if we are going fly home on the 11th or 12th yet, but will drive back to Seattle and fly home from there (FF miles with SWA & they dont fly from Vancouver). SWA doesn't open up flights past 6/6/2014 until 12/16, so got some time to plan...plan....plan!

So that's it in a nutshell. I will post frequently with updates as I go. I look forward to any suggestions anyone has!

Dawn

Hello- I am very interetsed to hear more about your Seattle to Vancouver plan. My husband and I are going next July on teh Wonder Alaska crusie and are thinking of doing the same thing- I am just not sure- if you leave the car for a week you will pay for a weeks worth of parking? or is there a rental place close by for pick up/drop off? Please if any one has any suggestions- please let me know- I am still trying to decide it would save me a ton to go hrough Seattle- as I could use my frequent fliyer miles and flights would be free. which means more cash for EXCURSIONS! woo hoo!! thanks everyone.

So there is the itinerary for our cruise...

Day 1 Vancouver
Day 2 Sea Day (hope to score Palos Brunch)
Day 3 Tracy Arm, Alaska
Day 4 Skagway, Alaska (and our 10 year wedding anniversary & hopefully
Palos for dinner)
Day 5 Juneau, Alaska
Day 6 Sea Day
Day 7 Vancouver

We (myself, DH, DS, & DS) will be in Cat. 5C, room 6608

My DM will be in a Cat 11B, room 6645

We will be in main dining.

We have decided that we will only be renting a car for the trip from Seattle to Vancouver the morning of the cruise and again from Vancouver to Seattle the day of departure. Looking at current rental car rates for one way will run us about 130-170 one way. Quick coach, one way train, bus will all cost about the same for 5 of us. I was really contemplating on taking the train up, but would like to do it the morning of the cruise and havent read about many people doing this (most taking the train the night before). Its still not off the table, gotta do more research. Plus between the Disboards & Trip Advisor, its seems both Seattle & Vancouver are very easy to get around when you dont have a car.

Now need to work on a hotel for Seattle. That is my next project...

We did book Dyea Dave for Skagway. Going to do the Emerald Lake Tour and take the White Pass & Yukon Railroad down. Cost of tour 79.00/adult & 69.00/child, not including the train ticket. They stop at Bennett Lake for lunch. Has anyone eaten there before?

Also will be booking with Orca Enterprises for whale watching in Juneau. If you book by Dec 1st, they will give you the current rate before it goes up for the 2014 season. Currently it is 124.95 for adult & 61.95 for child.

Lastly, going to book Bearing Seas Crab tour through DCL. We will have a bunch of OBC between the TA, booking onboard credit, & Disney Visa that will cover the cost. It is more then booking on our own, but we will never spend all that OBC&so it just makes sense to do this.

Boy oh boy...looking at all the pictures of the re-imagined Magic makes me so jealous that the Wonder will not have these updates when we cruise.

Hello- I am very interetsed to hear more about your Seattle to Vancouver plan. My husband and I are going next July on teh Wonder Alaska crusie and are thinking of doing the same thing- I am just not sure- if you leave the car for a week you will pay for a weeks worth of parking? or is there a rental place close by for pick up/drop off? Please if any one has any suggestions- please let me know- I am still trying to decide it would save me a ton to go hrough Seattle- as I could use my frequent fliyer miles and flights would be free. which means more cash for EXCURSIONS! woo hoo!! thanks everyone.

Yeah…after doing a lot of research on getting to/from Seattle to Vancouver, we have almost 100% decided to rent a one way car, drive up the morning of the cruise and drop off the car. Then do the same on the return trip to Seattle. We are still thinking about the train up and car rental back down to Seattle, but I haven't seen many people do it the morning of the cruise and it makes me nervous. Still researching this.

Booked our Seattle hotel today. Going to stay at the Hyatt Place Seattle on 6th Avenue. Booked with AAA at 179.00/night. It's a refundable rate, so if I find something better, then I can cancel it. Feel free to comment if you have stayed here before.

Next step, booking the car to get us to Vancouver and planning our 2 days in Seattle.

Please feel free to add comments/suggestions/feedback…I have had several views, but it's been quiet except for CT15 :(

BOY!.........That's one good-lookin' bunch of Hoosiers. And those words are from the HOOSIER DADDY too. :thumbsup2 Happy Cruisin' :thumbsup2

HaHa! Why thank you! We clean up nicely for formal night…the first two where from our RCCL cruise this summer on Oasis. The last one with my mom & boys was on the Dream 2 years ago.

Hell0 basketrn, Our family will be sailing on this same cruise. DS will be 16 and DD just shy of 11. I have been planning everyday:-):cool1:

We will be on the same cruise! Nice to know there will be other kids my kids age. I have twin boys that will be six when we sail and a 9-year old daughter. My husband will be going and my mom too! We have booked hotel but not air yet, waiting for after the holidays. Look forward to hearing about your planning!

We will be on the same cruise! Nice to know there will be other kids my kids age. I have twin boys that will be six when we sail and a 9-year old daughter. My husband will be going and my mom too! We have booked hotel but not air yet, waiting for after the holidays. Look forward to hearing about your planning!

Is this your 1st cruise? We love the disney cruises and kids clubs. Although my oldest may skip the clubs this year since he will almost be 18.

We have a dis meet cruise thread too with lots of families on this cruise too.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3064641

Well took a bit of a break from planning. Between the holidays and being sucked into a new book series, it kinda got pushed to the side. I am a huge reader and once I start something I really like...I can't stop until the series is finished...and this is no light read. I am reading the Outlander's series and now just started on book 3.

Anyhow...I did book our one way rental car today from Seattle to Canada Place. Rented a full size from Alamo for about 130.00. The plan is to pick it up right at opening the morning of the cruise (7am). Go back to hotel and quickly pick up rest of family & luggage and leave for Canada Place. When I googled drive time from hotel to Canada Place it says approx 2hrs 49mins. The Alamo drop off is right at Canada Place. So I feel good this will work well.

Next step for me is to buy our return flight tickets. SWA opens rest of June on 12/16. I have enough points for 2 free return flights, so once again will be flying out of Seattle. Also want to start planning our 2 short days in Seattle. Mom is flying into Seattle on Sunday and still needs to buy her return flight after the cruise. She is going to fly home the day the cruise ends from Vancouver.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season!!

Dawn

Yes, I am on the FB thread. I am also on the group thread. I am the one that booked thru Kayak for a rental car as well. Thank you for the tip.:)

It's funny cause our disboard names aren't on facebook so it's hard to figure out who's who. Also its been a while since I was on the disboard thread cause its so easy to check up through facebook :)

Glad you got the rental car!!

Hello there!!!! We are also on this cruise and looking forward to meeting everyone. We are flying into Seattle the 31st and debating what we are doing, bus, train or car to Vancouver on Monday morning. Want to get some sight seeing in Seattle since I doubt we'll get back there. Looking forward to hearing your plans

Well PAID IN FULL!! Only 130 days till we leave!!

Worked on our trip a little bit last month or so. We changed our car reservation and plan on picking it up on June 1st and driving to Canada Sunday evening. I haven’t decided where we are gonna stay now. Anyone know a place that holds 5 people in it in Vancouver? So now, I may change my Seattle hotel since we will be there only one overnight. May Priceline/hotwire it. I did book “The Market Experience” with Seattle Free Walking Tours. Also booked our whale watching with Orca Enterprises. Oh and did book our return flights from Seattle on 6/11. Will likely take the Bolt Bus back to Seattle on 6/10 and stay overnight in hotel by airport (again Priceline/hotwire). Looking at booking a Vancouver city highlights tour the day of disembarkation through Landsea tours. Hopefully post cruise, I can score a stay at Club Intrawest Vancouver using by DVC points. I would use it to stay the night before the cruise, but the rooms don’t look like they will hold 5 people.

We do have a little kink in our planning…we had 12 inches of snow/-40 degree wind chills a few weeks ago and the kids missed and entire week of school. SO…now the last day of school has been pushed into the week we are on the cruise. I knew this was a risk going into it. We will be likely calling my eldest in for the day he will miss being on the cruise. I just hope there are no more snow days!!!

Will book my Palo brunch/dinners and Ketchikan excursions when on board booking opens up on 3/4.

Quick question... Will you be able to book the Bearing Sea Crab Fisherman Tour with your youngest son being under 8? I haven't seen anything on the forums about how flexible the excursions are on children's age. I'm sailing on the Wonder on 6/9 and have a DS(7) and we wanted to book that trip also.

I'm following along too! I need to start a PTR as I am a major planner. Myself and my 5 yo son will be on the 9 nighter right before your cruise! I CANNOT WAIT! I booked opening day, I couldn't even wait til we sailed last May to score an OBB so unfortunately I don't have credits from DCL but I went through a TA and have some that way.

I never thought of using DVC points for a hotel in Vancouver! DUH! I did book awhile ago in the Pan Pacific for before and after the cruise, then our cruise found out our trip isn't leaving from the Canada Place pier but Ballantyne pier and then returning to Canada Place. Apparently Disney is supposed to have a shuttle between the 2 piers because the only place to park IS Canada Place. We will survive though the other pier isn't far. I did get a great rate on the room by using the hotel's site for before the trip and going with their PIF price (yeah one less thing to worry about paying for right!) and then on the return, the hotel site wanted about $150 more than I pay before the cruise! I found Expedia had the same price I paid before the cruise for the time after and booked the PIF room through them. But again, I did this months ago.

My issue was going to be flights as I wasn't seeing anything under $750 pp! :scared1: I always set up price alerts for trips through airfarewatchdog. Sure I always get alerts for flights to MCO haha. I wasn't seeing anything for Boston to YVR...ok, I had some time no worries, right? Then one day last year I got an alert for $350 pp! And it wasn't on a cargo plane and it was on a major carrier even! It leaves early from Boston which is ok because we get to YVR early, it doesn't leave early and arrive late like some I saw that were all day traveling, no I don't need a 7 hr layover in Houston with a 5 yo thank you! So I had flights and hotel booked long before the holidays :yay: Now the fun planning begins.

We are silver so we don't get to book until the 23 this month, gold and plat already opened up. I will pretty much go with all DCL excursions since being on my own with my kiddo, I want to know that we will be back on our boat for sure. I DID however book through Chillhook Charters a trip for the afternoon in Skagway, bus rid up past the border and then the White Pass down. I didn't think my kid would really care for sitting on a train for 3-4 hrs for a round trip. :rolleyes1

Yup sooo excited! I can't wait to see your pics when you back. Btw, are you guys Boiler fans :confused3 I may have to unfollow you if you aren't :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter