Hoping for a SoG cancellation -- how often do you call? Any timing/other tips?

Barb D

DIS Veteran
The Shades of Green/Contemp is sold out for the nights we want...and we really want to stay there! How often should I call in hopes that someone has cancelled? Does time of day make a difference (like are all cancellations released at a certain time?) Do they keep records of how often you call?

Any other tips on how to get in? We'll be there the first week in November. They said they get booked a year in advance.

If you are on the waitlist there's no reason to call. If you aren't on the waitlist you can call every 10 minutes and it won't make any difference, you aren't getting a room.

My advice is to get on the waitlist, (if you aren't already), then make a ressie elsewhere using a code. The discounts with codes are sometimes cheaper than SOG overflow rates.

Good luck....We stayed at CR thru SOG in May and it was great!!!

A waiting list? She didn't say anything about a waiting list! I'm calling back tomorrow to get on it!

Anybody ever have any luck getting a SoG room after being on the waiting list?

Edit: BTW, we got two rooms at the All Stars for $55 each using a code from http://www.mousesavers.com. But we could all fit in one room at CR/SoG, and be on the monorail, too!

Barb D Have you thought about the swan or dolphin? We are a military family and the rate there is $129 for mil . I called today to check on Christmas and New Year's and they had rooms available so maybe they would for Nov. I don't know much about the hotel but I do know that the price isn't much more than the shades of green at the contemporary.

The SOG is closed but they have a wing at the Contemporary for I think a rate of $99 a night regardless of rank. The thing is they only have a number of rooms set aside for military who would be eligible to stay at SOG. You can ask for overflow rates at other Disney hotels for great rates if the Cont. is full. I have personally never stayed at either. The SOG is always full. We might be going for Christmas and are not sure where to stay but the Swan and Dolphin rate seems pretty good to me.

Yes, it's the Shades of Green rooms at the Contemporary we're trying to get. They didn't offer me overflow rooms at any other Disney resort; just at the Doubletree. They said that PO was booked. I may still check out Coronado if we can get 5 in a room there.

Barb D....SOG has one of the highest occupancy rates of any hotel in the country. (Until the SOG expansion is complete they are using 300 rooms at CR). People call 53 weeks in advance to secure reservations there. Once rooms fill up with reservations, people requesting rooms are put on a waitlist. Due to the nature of military schedules many reservations end up being canceled or changed. As cancelations come in they assign the open rooms to the people on the top of the waitlist. SOG cancelation policies say you must cancel 30 days in advance to get a refund.

The waitlist is limited as to the number of names they put on it. I'd bet that it is too late for you to even be put on a waitlist for November.

Your other options are to:

Ask to make sure the waitlist is closed. If not, get on it.

Ask SOG reservationists for the current 'overflow' rates available at Disney resorts during the time you want to go. They have very good rates at most of the resorts from value to deluxe. (One important point: You MAY NOT be on the waitlist and also make an overflow reservation).

I have found that you can get very good overflow rtates at deluxes, but, frequently you can find better rates at a moderate by using a code. What I have done in the past, (My Dad is eligible for SOG), is make an overflow reservation then start searching for a better rate via a code.

Feel free to email me if you have any more questions...Good luck!!!

bobandjke@aol.com

Well, we're on the waitlist now. I told her to call me if either night becomes available. She couldn't tell me where we ARE on the waiting list, but at least we're on it. Thanks for the heads up on this, Bob!

The SOG rates at the Contemporary are based on rank as they always have been.

Military Grade--Civilian Grade Standard
Room Rate/ Bay View Room Rate
Categories
1. E-1 through E-5** $66.00 /$76.00
2. E-6 through E-9, O-1 through O-3, WO-1 to CW-3, GS-1 through GS-10, NF-1 through NF-3, Widows, Medal of Honor Recipients and 100% Disabled Veterans $89.00 / $99.00
3. O-4 through O-6, CW-4 and CW-5, GS-11 through GS-15, and NF-4 and NF-5 $95.00/ $105.00
4. O-7 through O-10, Active Duty Foreign Military**, Retired DoD Civilians and NF-6 $99.00 / $109.00

Please Note: All room rates are subject to change without notice. Add 11 percent Florida State Tax to all room rates. Above rates are based on two adults occupying a room. Add $10.00 per additional adult, 18 years or older. For single occupancy, subtract $2.00 from the above rates. Maximum number of rooms per sponsor is three and occupancy per room is five. Military sponsors should not reserve additional rooms under their name for other eligible military/DoD sponsors. Reservations are not transferable. Sponsored guests must be accompanied by the Military/DoD sponsor at check-in and throughout the entire stay. Due to fire codes, cooking appliances including coffee pots and microwaves are not allowed in guest rooms. Pets are not permitted. Every effort is made to accommodate room location and special requests. Cancellation notice must be received 30 days prior to arrival date to avoid a penalty of one night.

** E-1 through E-5 Sponsor and dependents will receive the rate that applies to category 1 ($66 per night). Any additional sponsored rooms will receive the rate that applies to category 2 ($89 per night).

-------------------

I hope you get the room Barb. I was told SOG usually sells out about 6-8 months ahead of time whether at contemp or their own resort. We are going beginning of next year ourselves

Getting on the wait list is the first step. A date as close as November might be dicey.
Trying to recall our trip of a couple years ago...I think we called about 10 months out
and with no rooms got on the wait list...then about 2 months out found out we had
a place....I would make a back-up reservation with gov't rates at Swan/Dolphin
probably as good as you're going to get on-site but keep in mind you pay a bunch of
tax on top of that you don't pay at SOG and having stayed at Contemp it would be
hard to beat especially if you're planning on spending much time at MK.

Another thing you might try if the wait list doesn't pan out is doing a walk-in there
or at Ocala should you be coming in that way. That could get you down toward SOG
rates and in fact is how we wound up staying at Contemporary before there was
an SOG.

Greg

Originally posted by gtaylor
....I would make a back-up reservation with gov't rates at Swan/Dolphin probably as good as you're going to get on-site but keep in mind you pay a bunch of tax on top of that you don't pay at SOG

Actually, during the relocation to Contemporary, SoG guests have to pay the room taxes.

We already have a backup ressie at ASMu at the $55 code rate. The only problem is we had to get 2 rooms (with 3 kids) so it's costing us MORE than staying at SoG/CR!

Still looking at other options...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter