Hotels Charging for self-parking!

Originally posted by Peterd
[
I would bet that after a few hundred complaints, not just to Universal, but to Loew's Hotels,like mine tomorrow, it will change back in the future. [/B]

Who did you complain to? When you go to the Loew's web site I can't find any where to send an e-mail to.

I can't help but guess that this new parking charge is a direct result of the recent vandalism/theft reported in an earlier thread. It sounds like they have beefed up security and are attempting to recover the cost. The timing of these two events is too close to be a coincidence.

When I first heard about the charge, I was not happy. But if paying $5 a day will keep my car safe, then so be it.

For those who have said that Disney or other resorts have guarded parking lots but do not charge for it, think again. You're paying for it, if not in an identifiable surcharge then certainly as part of the room rate.

I have no problem paying $5 per day...as long as I am guaranteed a spot each night. That was something that I had a problem with when I stayed back in February, there were times were one or both of the lots were full.

Mike

Originally posted by Beancounter
For those who have said that Disney or other resorts have guarded parking lots but do not charge for it, think again. You're paying for it, if not in an identifiable surcharge then certainly as part of the room rate.

I agree. Universal/Loews seems to be doing what's known in the business world as "unbundling." People who arrive by taxi or Mears shuttle don't pay the $5. The additional cost (to Loews) of parking is passed on only to those who need/use the service.

Since you can get an EC rate of $117 at HRH, the $5 parking fee doesn't seem onerous to me.

Be careful what you wish for. We could see "free" parking and higher room rates.

I understand the unbundling concept. People who use a service should pay for it.

My beef was more one of changing the rules in mid-stream. I made my reservations long before the new policy. In fact, unless they contact me ahead of time and notify me that the rules have changed I doubt that I will agree to pay it when I show up.

One of the problems with unbundling is that it often seems to just be a ploy to stick the unsuspecting person with extra charges. I don't find reservation agents taking the time to spell out all their hotels unbundled pricing options (whether it relates to phone calls, TV options, transportation, etc.).

Lots of hotel make you pay to park, so I always ask. I just hope I don't have to start asking about the cost of extra towels.

Beckles - we must have been at the HRH during the same time. I just posted the guard/parking info on the other vandalism thread before reading this one.

In my opionion, it seems to me that if the self-park situation was so bad, and if there is no hope of enlargening the parking lot anytime soon, what else can they do but start charging for parking? They must be hoping that the charge will discourage people other than guests from parking there.

I agree with Kelly M. - I felt very lucky to be staying at the HRH at the Entertainment rate; what's an extra 5 bucks?

I actually opted for the vallet parking and was happy with my decision. I figured for an extra $5 I wouldn't have to worry about looking for a spot, or worry about vandalism. It felt great to just call down for our car to be brought around instead of wandering the parking lot searching for it.

It's called "business". These silly arguments have been going on ever since these discussion boards merged. There are so many out there who simply can't or won't believe that Mickey wants their money. Still more accept it anyway because hey, it's Mickey. It just floors me how much a parking fee can generate such an argument.

It just floors me how much a parking fee can generate such an argument.

Amen....

I guess I can understand that it's just another straw on the camel's back.

Well, everyone knows it's just business. Theme parks & hotels expect profits, so I've heard.
I just hope Universal never finds out I would pay as much as... er..uh, $5.50 a day to park at HRH!
Hey, it's a legitimate beef for many. A lot of principle is involved also. All this has taken place since the parking lot burglaries there came to light.
One of the biggest issues on the parking threads is the scarceness of parking spots at HRH. Part of the solution is for us guests to band together and voice our complaints. Things do change (sometimes) when we do this.
It does kinda look like a mountain from a molehill, but rolling with the changes has become tooo expected of guests with the HRH-Orlando.
Jim

Hi ya Donna!
New drop-off fee for Hawaiians begins Sept. 1. Better meet us there in late Aug. to beat the new policy!
Jim

I wouldn't mind paying $5 per day so long as it provides security for my car and Loews assumes liablity for cars parked in their lot. When we stay at HRH we check out the last day, put our bags in the car and then head over to the parks. When we get back we usually use the pool at the hotel for a couple hours. I would be more comfortable knowing that something was being done to secure the parking lot, even if it did cost $5.

I'm not sure it's any better at Disney...they just announced today that valet parking will no longer be free at their deluxe hotels. It's probably only a matter of time before they start charging a separate fee for self parking too. Disney has also always charged seasonal passholders for parking at the theme parks...which is why we always parked at the Swan when we had passes! :-) Universal (when they offered seasonal passes) never charged extra for parking...and even offered coverd parking.

I, too have heard he rumor of theme parks and hotels seeking profits. I hated to believe it as many did. Actually, the parking fee is not going to make much of a ripple in this situation. Many more bigger opportunities for ROI in this industry: upgrades, vacation packages,etc. I was not trying to be condescending, just making my point.

Last year my wife and I went to New Orleans. Had a great time. Shelled out over $100.00 in cab fares and tips over 3 days. Never missed it because it was a vacation and tipping well basically ensured us a ride whenever we needed one. Business. I would have spent 3 times the cost to make the time more memorable, in retrospect. I even paid 20 bucks one night to park off Canal St. for a parade. I'll bet there are some incredible stories out there on parking fees. This seems to provoke some hostile and patrononizing sentiments, but I guess some just have to make a stand at some point. We all have our limits and everyone is entitled to them.

The problem that I have with the parking fee is that when we made our reservations we were told that parking was free. I have never had so many benefits of a resort change in the span of 2 months. I can't help but wonder what I will be in for by the time September rolls around.

News update from today's Orlando Sentinel..... WDW is no charging $6 per day for general parking at it's resorts.

Originally posted by Earl
News update from today's Orlando Sentinel..... WDW is no charging $6 per day for general parking at it's resorts.

I thought the $6.00 is for Disney's Deluxe resort valet parking.

I'm sure we've all read the stats on park attendance, airport passenger counts and hotel occupancy - they are all DOWN. So it's no surprise that these hotels will find new revenue sources. A public company has to show a profit or heads will roll. For these guys it's a new way to make $$$ and every little bit helps their bottom line and runs down ours. Until the economy picks up expect more of these penny-ante cash grabs.

My first job out of college was at a hotel on Century Blvd near LAX in LA - this place charged its employees $25/month to park!! Guests were $12/day and this was 12 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter