Hotels Charging for self-parking!

This is quite bold on the part of Universal. UO already charges $1 more for theme park parking and $2 more for stroller rental than WDW. Now this. I guess UO is starting to feel its oats.

I guess it it hard for me to understand the big deal about $5 a night parking because EVERYWHERE I have ever travelled we have had to pay at least twice this much to park, sometimes three times that much. In New Orleans, Dallas, Memphis, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Tampa, etc., etc. parking is so much more expensive.

Five dollars seems like nothing, compared to those places.

I do understand that being told one thing and having it changed is aggravating.

After hearing of the break-ins and all, I would gladly pay (Universal don't listen) much more than $5 if my car and possessions are safe. Now, if this just gives a false sense of security, maybe, that's another thing. But, anyway, $5 a night sounds quite reasonable to me, comparatively.

Nan

After reading all about this parking fee thing before my trip last week , I was pleasantly surprised to learn the truth on arrival.

When we self parked at Portofino on arrival July 21, we did have to get a ticket to be let into the lot. However, after we checked in and wanted to leave the lot we went to the cashier to ask about any fees. He explained that our room key would let us in and out of the lot...PERIOD. No $5, no $6...nothing. There was no charge on our bill eitherfor any of the 5 nights we stayed at Portofino. That initial ticket we took from the machine was simply thrown away since our room key let us in and out of the lot.

Hope this helps someone.

Maria
:)

Also just returned from PBH, didn't pay the parking fee & used our room key to get in & out like Maria said. I was glad that they didn't charge at least this time since we had two cars with us!! :rolleyes:

Okay, so what's the story here? Like I said in the first message in this thread, I was not sure about the PBH and was only told by the HRH attendant that they were charging. So, I guess there are a few possibilities:

1) The HRH agent was mistaken and the PBH never charged and the HRH did and still does.

2) Both the HRH and the PBH started charging (as the agent told me), but the PBH stopped and the HRH did and still does.

3) Both the HRH and the PBH started charging (same, as the agent told me), but both have stopped charging.

The PBH not charging would not surprise me because I have never seen their garage anywhere near full, as opposed to the HRH's parking lots which are always full.

Amidst the confusion, I figured I would go to the source. I called Universal and there is in fact a $5 parking charge for hotel guests at BOTH PB & HRH. I was told that it was for better security.

Originally posted by gcurling
Amidst the confusion, I figured I would go to the source. I called Universal and there is in fact a $5 parking charge for hotel guests at BOTH PB & HRH. I was told that it was for better security.

Then they must have thought my husband and me were VIP's since we didn't pay a dime last week! LOL Must have been the cool sunglasses we wore!! :smooth: :D

Maria

Odd indeed Maria.

I just called back because I wanted to know with a 2 night stay was it $5 a night, or $5 a day (three days). I was told that it would be $15 total for my two night stay. So, I complained to no avail. So, I've email guest services - we'll see if I get a response. When I booked my room they made no mention of it. I only found out when I called back to inquire. It would have been a surprise on my bill, I guess.

This whole concept of extra charges to grift the customer out of a few extra bucks stinks. It may be the norm in Chicago or New York, but it's not the norm for Central Florida on-site resort hotels. I think Universal is setting itself up for some real gripes from customers, especially those who don't know about it in advance.

Believe me, I consider people here who have stayed recently to be a better source than most Universal employees. So, as I would expect the PBH does not appear to be levying this charge, probably for two reasons:

1) Their garage has better security than HRH's lot to begin with (being that it is a garage and not an open parking lot).
2) The PBH does not appear to have the parking problems that the HRH is having.

Barry ~ Allegedly the charge was implemented on July 1 ... have you stayed at the PBH since then?

The keys will work for the gates, that's not in question. But once you use your key in the gate, there theoretically will be a $5 per day "Parking" charge on your bill. That's what happened with us at the HRH, which was interesting for several reasons:

1) We were not told of this charge (and the check-out agent said we should have been).
2) It is a per room charge ... not per car ... at least in my experience :) (which is good since I have invariably had more than one car for various reasons during many of my stays)

I can confirm the following based on my recent stay at HRH (7/23 - 7/27)

Upon arrival there is a guard who stops you from entering. If you are a Hotel guest you just show your room key and you are waived in. If you have yet to check in, you give the guard your name and he consults a list of that days expected arrivals.

I went to the front door to unload and check in, however, the computers were temporarily down and could not produce room keys. Not a problem, I stored my luggage and drove to the self park (right side of the hotel) entrance. You get a ticket in order to open the gate, but by the time we had eaten lunch and were ready to unload the rest of our belongings, we had a room and room keys. I asked the people at the front desk to "Validate" my parking ticket which they did by simply throwing in the trash can because it was not needed to exit the parking lot now that I had a room key card.

The front desk informed me of the charge upon check in, which I already knew about from reading this board. However, I could not get them to admit that this was a new policy based on recent theft/security problems. We were charged $5.00 for every night we stayed and not for the number of days. In other words, we were not charged for the final morning when we checked out, although we had our car there until after 12:00 pm.

As previously mentioned earlier in this thread, I have no problem with this charge for the following reasons:

1. It is the result of security measures to address a previous theft problem.

2. The increased security also keeps out non-guest attempting to avoid the $7.00 parking garage fee.

3. Therefore, I never had a problem finding a parking space, although I heard that before this policy was introduced, many people had to valet for an extra $2.00 because the self park area was full.

4. The fee is paid by those utilizing the parking lot instead of being included in the room rate. Those that fly in and do not rent a car do not have to pay.

"This whole concept of extra charges to grift the customer out of a few extra bucks stinks. It may be the norm in Chicago or New York, but it's not the norm for Central Florida on-site resort hotels."

Well, not hardly, WDW charges $6 per day at their resorts.

:mad: :mad: Earl,you said Disney charges $6.00 to park at their resorts.We have never paid
before or is this something new? I hope not for Disney has always provided very good
security and it came free. I am talking about many years of free guarded parking from
Disney where it seems Lowes and Universal change their mind monthly.

It was in the Orlando Sentinel a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it's relatively new and in place.

Just confirming that we were at PBH July 4th-9th and we had no charge for parking and just used our card to get in and out. Never had a problem finding a space either. So if they started it July 1 and dropped it they did it really quick! $5/night wouldn't change our minds we loved it!

The paper said this is new, like the last couple of weeks. They stated is was for standard parking and there was an extra charge for valet. Maybe it hasn't gone into effect yet. Did you stay there recently? I hate to say that the Sentinel got the story wrong. They would have to shutdown the paper, wouldn't they?:jester:

Originally posted by Earl
The paper said this is new, like the last couple of weeks. They stated is was for standard parking and there was an extra charge for valet. Maybe it hasn't gone into effect yet. Did you stay there recently? I hate to say that the Sentinel got the story wrong. They would have to shutdown the paper, wouldn't they?:jester:

Here is a quote from the Disney Vacation Club website telling about the new policy. It applies to valet only and DVC members can valet for free as a perc of being a DVC member:

"industry practice and charge for valet parking at all Walt Disney World Resort locations that offer this guest service. The $6.00 fee (among the lowest in the market) is a daily charge, so once you have paid for valet service, you will
receiAs of July 16, 2001, the Walt Disney World® Resort will adopt a standard ve unlimited valet parking for the remainder of the day. However, Disney Vacation Club Members will not be charged for valet parking at Disney's BoardWalk Resort and Disney's Wilderness Lodge, regardless of where they are staying. Disney Vacation Club Members must show their DVC Member card or Walt Disney World Resort ID indicating that they are a "DVC Member" when leaving their vehicle to be parked in order to receive this service at no
charge at either Disney's BoardWalk Resort or Disney's Wilderness Lodge. Members will be charged for this service at any other valet parking operation at the Walt Disney World Resort. Whether or not you are charged to valet park, gratuities are still appropriate. There will be no charge for guests with disabilities with the proper permits. This charge only affects guests and Members who chose to use this service."

Maria

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter