How bad is June, really?

Dustykins

Mouseketeer
We're contemplating a trip to WDW this year. It will be our second trip there ever, our first being in Sept. 2012. I don't love taking kids out of school for vacation; we probably would not have done it in 2012 if it weren't for my sister's wedding. I know September is still hot but the crowds are pretty light. I've heard June is supposed to be more crowded (and that makes sense with kids out of school), but is it really that awful? I've got a feeling we're going to be shorted on school days this year (we've missed 7 or 8 days so far due to weather in some form or another) and I'd like to avoid missing more than necessary next year.

We have been to WDW in June about 7 or 8 times. It can be very hot and crowded. Usually, the end of June is busier than the beginning. However, if you do some planning, you can make it work and enjoy it. We usually RD at the parks and then leave around mid-day and return in the evening. We relax around the pool during the afternoon when the heat is at its worst. It isn't perfect, but it works!

Amy

We have been to WDW in June about 7 or 8 times. It can be very hot and crowded. Usually, the end of June is busier than the beginning. However, if you do some planning, you can make it work and enjoy it. We usually RD at the parks and then leave around mid-day and return in the evening. We relax around the pool during the afternoon when the heat is at its worst. It isn't perfect, but it works!

Amy

This is exactly what we do and we love it. The afternoon break actually keeps us from getting overtired and cranky.

We also have made many June visits. Starting the day early helps you beat the heat and the crowds. An afternoon break is a must!

one more thing---there are frequent afternoon thunderstorms in June. Some last 5 minutes, others last longer. We use them as a chance to leave the park and eat a meal out in town.

I can definately say the heat can be unbearable at times.
Very hot and humid...with occasional daily rain showers mixed in.
I was shocked at how hot it gets in the summer. Sweat literally dripping off of us and very uncomfortable walking around WDW all sweaty.

I try not to go in the summer if at all possible.

Have been in DW in both the beginning of June, first week, and the end of June, last week. The beginning of June was so much better. a whole lot less crowded. We now go the last week of August with has fairly light crowds.

Just be prepared. Your experience has been in September and June is totally different. We usually go in Sept/Oct and went in June last year…we will never go back in the summer. It was miserable for us. I know it's only because we were spoiled with lower crowd months and I just didn't prepare myself for the crowds. As long as you go in knowing it will be more crowded and plan accordingly, I'm sure you will have a great time.

Not to beat a dead horse but.... Hot. Walking around on all that black asphalt, I felt like I was being cooked. If I came down to going in the summer or never going again I'm pretty sure I'd never go. Obviously there are millions of people that go and are just fine but if heat bothers you I would find a way to go another time.

If you like the extreme heat I suppose it is a great month to go . I'm not so young anymore and once in Orlando during the summer was enough for this northern gal. I recall that tiny hand held fan blowing in my face and how good that small amount of air felt.

What is it like in the beginning of May? We usually do Sept/October, but I could not wait so I booked for May, what are the crowds and weather like then?

What is it like in the beginning of May? We usually do Sept/October, but I could not wait so I booked for May, what are the crowds and weather like then?

Similar to October. At least from what I remember when we lived there. It can get to 90, but not as bad as summer.

We're contemplating a trip to WDW this year. It will be our second trip there ever, our first being in Sept. 2012. I don't love taking kids out of school for vacation; we probably would not have done it in 2012 if it weren't for my sister's wedding. I know September is still hot but the crowds are pretty light. I've heard June is supposed to be more crowded (and that makes sense with kids out of school), but is it really that awful? I've got a feeling we're going to be shorted on school days this year (we've missed 7 or 8 days so far due to weather in some form or another) and I'd like to avoid missing more than necessary next year.

We're in the same boat as you... We tossed around June vs. September for a long time and we ended up choosing June as my husband has a business trip in Miami and we're going to extend that with Disney. I know it is going to be unbearably hot, and pretty crowded but I'm hoping that appropriate trip planning and breaks during the day will help. My son's favorite part of Disney is the water parks so we're looking forward to that too. I'm also telling myself that September is hurricane season and it really would be tough to pull my son out of school at the beginning of the school year. Have fun with whatever you decide to do!!!

Amy

THIS. DH and I are both teachers, so we have no choice but to go during school breaks. We have been twice in mid-June and, yes, it is hot and humid! But, as mentioned, plan on doing RD then leaving the parks between 10am-11am. That's when most people start arriving. Head back to your hotel for a swim, nap, and/or lunch. We usually would take a long lunch at another resort, look around for awhile, then head back to our hotel for a few hours. We'd head out to dinner, then back to the parks around 6pm-7pm and stay through closing. This plan worked very well for us on both trips - we avoided crowds, hit a ton of rides, and beat the heat! FWIW, it didn't seem nearly as hot our second trip. I guess we knew what to expect and were better prepared for it!

SUPER hot and sweaty. I am a northern guy - and tend to sweat. I can remember multitudes of cast members telling me to drink lots of water and be careful... Which I do.

On the other hand, that afternoon thundershower which ALWAYS comes on those hot days - at times really tended to cool off me and the park - and clear things out.

Bring a poncho, and plan to see stuff even in the RAIN!

Our favorite memory was the parade getting cancelled JUST after it had started, and one poor Pinocchio on a float - REALLY having a ball. BUT NO ONE was outside of an awning. THAT is how bad it was.

On the other hand, that afternoon thundershower which ALWAYS comes on those hot days - at times really tended to cool off me and the park - and clear things out.

You bring up a good point.. what happens to your fast pass reservation in the event a storm causes a ride to close?

We went to disney the first week of June is 2012. It was awful! Honestly worst trip ever. I didn't get to do half of the things I wanted it was like 90+ degrees everyday with very high humidity and it poured rain everyday at 3:00! And I mean the sky's opened up and I literally thought I was standing under a water fall lol. I think I would of been able to handle the crowd levels better if it wasn't so hot. It was just hot + high crowds = very tired us. Plus we were staying off property and to get to disney in the morning it was only like 5 miles and took us a good half hour. Not worth it to me so we will never go in June again. We are set to leave for disney in 17 days! Hoping it will be a little cooler but after this winter here in nj I don't think I would mind the heat

We went to disney the first week of June is 2012. It was awful! Honestly worst trip ever. I didn't get to do half of the things I wanted it was like 90+ degrees everyday with very high humidity and it poured rain everyday at 3:00! And I mean the sky's opened up and I literally thought I was standing under a water fall lol. I think I would of been able to handle the crowd levels better if it wasn't so hot. It was just hot + high crowds = very tired us. Plus we were staying off property and to get to disney in the morning it was only like 5 miles and took us a good half hour. Not worth it to me so we will never go in June again. We are set to leave for disney in 17 days! Hoping it will be a little cooler but after this winter here in nj I don't think I would mind the heat

Sounds like your experience was similar to ours. We went last June, and I was really caught off guard by the crowds. We were there at the beginning if the month, and I was hoping that it wouldn't be too bad since most schools weren't out yet. Boy was I wrong!!! It was elbow to elbow for much of trip, and the heat was unbearable!!! Unfortunately, this is the only time we can go this year, so we are braving the heat and crowds again. At least I'll be prepared this time, and I'm going with the expectation that it will be crowded and hot. I just keep reminding myself that it's about being at Disney and being a part of the magic - not just enjoying the rides. :)

I think the key here is perspective. We too were there during this time and while it was a little more busy that the fall trips we took , it was not too terribly crowded. We did the RD-Midday Break-Evening parks angle and we did all we wanted to do plus some. And we will be back the first week of June this year.:beach:

I think the key here is perspective. We too were there during this time and while it was a little more busy that the fall trips we took , it was not too terribly crowded. We did the RD-Midday Break-Evening parks angle and we did all we wanted to do plus some. And we will be back the first week of June this year.:beach:

Definitely about the perspective! If I had done a little more research and been a little more prepared I think the trip would of gone better. Now I find myself being completely obsessive about this trip bc it has to be better than the last 1, lol. I have also been doing research between what happened last trip and the research I have been doing I feel way more prepared now lol

It was very hot and very crowded. Don't know any other way to say it! And, for us, there was further disappointment....our ideal time to go is the first part of November and we LOVE the water parks. The water parks are like absolute dream parks in November. Well! They are a whole different story in June. Sooooo crowded and not nearly as much fun as they are in November.

So, that whole situation compounded our disappointment with going in June.

If going during that hot, busy time is all you know, then it is what it is. But if you have gone during cooler, less busy times and then you go in June -- whoa! Look out!::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter