How do I carry my money and camera???

shari2shop

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's
Okay... I guess my big question is... Can I wear my fanny pack???? My hubby says that they are out of style.

I really just need something to carry my money, a small camera and maybe a bandaid or two. I really don't want to lug a purse because it is really just a hassle. I thought that I might get a backpack but I doubt hubby would share carrying it and I'm afraid I might set it down and leave it somewhere. I really think my fanny pack is the best thing for me but I don't want to look like I haven't traveled in 10 years. So, what is the best and latest ideas???

Shari:(

Fanny packs may be out of style at your local Wal-Mart, or even in many beach locations, but they are frequently used at WDW and other theme parks. Don't worry a bit about it. Everyone carries either a fanny pack or a back pack. Personally, I prefer a fanny pack because it's easier to keep close to me.

There are many camera bags even for small cameras with extra pockets that could be used to carry money. If you don't want a waist pack, most of these can be worn either on a belt or across the chest. I have a travelbag from Eddie Bauer with a middle padded section for my camera & lots of other zippered & open pockets that I use for credit cards, park passes, room key, money & park maps, etc. I've had mine for years but I believe they still have a variation of my bag available. I have never liked waist packs, this goes across my chest & leaves me hands free. this is smaller than my regular purse & I only use one of those small organizers.

Well I have never worn a waist pack here but I always use one in WDW. It's the most convenient way to carry the small things you have to have. I had my camera joined on the waist pack too, the case has a belt loop so that saved carrying it.
You'll see a LOT of people in WDW with waist packs on. As long as you are comfortable nobody else is going to bother what you are carrying.

I'm not a fanny pack person, so I use a backpack purse - it's small, but it goes over both shoulders like a backpack (so my shoulders don't get sore) and my DH gets the camera in & out when we need it. The one I have has Winnie the Pooh on it and is waterproof, which is great for being in the parks. It has a zippered pocket on the front where I keep my park passes and credit cards. It slips off easily when I'm going on a ride and swings right back on when I get off. I think I got it at Sears for about $15, if you're interested. I love mine! (Can you tell?)

But if YOU want to wear a fanny pack, by all means, wear a fanny pack! You'll see many others doing the same, style or no style!

We plan on wearing fanny packs when we do WDW. I always wear a fanny pack when I go to Cedar Point. Makes it so much easier to not have to carry anything around all day.
And most people I see have them on, as well.

Most everyone uses either a fanny pack or backpack unless they have a stroller. Last trip I took 2 fanny packs but DH complained about it hurting his back so I bought a backpack and carried everything myself. I still use it at home a lot (plus I got it on sale because it was dated) and I'm taking it this year too!

Cheryl :bounce:

Trust me!!! I would never wear one at home, but I always wear one in Disney. It is a great way to carry money, and the camera, which I do. They are not out of style there anyway, and there is nothing more convenient. Don't feel out of place,,there are plenty of people that wear them. Have fun!!!:smooth:

Shari-

I agree with all of the other posts that it is perfectly acceptable to use a fanny pack in the parks. The advantages are keeeping everthing close to your body and easily accessible. The disadvantage is that you can't hold much "extra" in them.

I have found that a backpack is invaluable to bring to the parks! The first year that we went, we bought one of those yellow rain ponchos when there was a sudden downpour. We bring them back every year now! They fold up really small and you never know when it might come in handy.

Also, the first year we were there we bought a resort refillable mug. On our way to the bus we grab a soda or coffee. While we are in the parks we use it at drinking fountains to carry around water. If we tire of them, we throw 'em in a ziplock bag and put it in the backpack. When we return to the resort, free beverage again! (If we kept it in the room, we wouldn't be able to take advantage nearly as often).

Depending on what time of year you're going, the nights can get a little cool. A backpack is great for putting a lightweight jacket or sweater. Also if you purchase a small souvenir that you don't want to send back to the resort, there are lots of little pockets to put things. Also, because the weight is distributed between back and shoulders, it's really quite comfortable.

Brenda

With a backpack do I need to worry about people trying to take things out???

I sorta have a fear that someone will try to open my backpackif I can't see them. Of course I will be with my hubby almost all the time but for some reason he does not always pay attention to what is going on around him. I guess I wouldn't normally be worried but I saw a special on one of those new shows a few weeks ago and it showed how easy people were pickpocketed when in tight spaces, like buses and lines.

Any thought on this???

Shari

I guess I'm the only person who wear's a fanny pack always,even
here at home, I never have to worry about where things are, I carry less
things and no one can get it, When we go to WDW or any trip I also take my Back
pack so as to carry a sweater or the ponchos or all the other stuff,We are only 2
people but it takes a lot of stuff to travel, DH is not only Disneydeficent he does
not carry stuff well. So I use my backpack, If you feel you will be the one carrying
all the stuff you may well need a backpack. Mine has compartments in it,
even so it's a mickey mouse one I looked long and hard for this type of back
pack,My camera fit in a small side pouch, there is a strap for the bottle that comes
with it, It even has a brite filter that fits it, So It's great. There are 2 pockets that
are for money and even a thermal lining for keeping snacks, I love it and only use it
for trips, I found it at the disney store it was expensive and I almost did not
buy it but the CM showed me all the good features and said they were discontinuing it
so I could get it for 40% off and with my card another 10% so it was worth it, My
fanny pack I also a mickey but I got it from AAA as a gift and it is a real nice one
So being the Disney person That I am I use it every day,I also have
the Eddie Baurer one and it is a real nice one mine is leather and it is a sweet one to
wear, I use it when I get dressed up cause it looks like a purse when you just
strap it over your shoulder. It also fits my camera and all the small stuff you
will need with out looking ugly.I would take both and see which one you need as you go along
I think you will find you need the back pack more that anything...

phooey if it is out of style, whatever makes life easier is aces with me! I wouldn't go without mine!

Being the gadget person that I am - I take a small back pack & a fanny pack. No, I don't take them both into the park at the same time (though my DH wouldn't put it past me). I take the back pack if we are going to be gone for the whole day or if I need to take a change of clothes or towels (when visiting the ater parks). I take the fanny pack if we plan on coming back to our room for break around the middle of the day.

I just found a great small back pack at Target called the Llama. It comes with a Flexi Flask which is a collapsable water bottle that can be frozen or microwaved. It fits right in the back pack so finding water is never a problem. It has 2 other zipper compartments that you can stick small stuff in. Backpacks frequently hurt my back, but when I took this one on a four hour walk with by DS I never even knew I had it on my back.

I would definately take at least one to WDW. Happy Playing!

The Llama sounds like what I'm looking for, I'm off to Target...what department did you find it?thanks

I carry the Healthy Back Bag made by Ameribag. I got it at a local department store, but have also seen it at the Backrub Co. stores. It is the shape of a teardrop, with one strap. You wear it across you shoulder and chest and can position it either on front or back. It is very roomy, many small compartments and even a compartment for a water bottle on the outside. I love mine.

Here is a link to see it.http://fultonluggage.bizland.com/store/ameribag_nylon.html

I have decided that I am definately taking both a fanny pack and a backpack. I'm very glad to know that I will blend in with all the other 'pack' people. *L* Our trip is a little less than 2 months away so I have time to look for the perfect backpack. I'm definately going to chack out all the ones suggested!!

I really appreciate everyones input and advice on this topic.

Shari:bounce:

they are not out of style if they work for me!! I don't leave my house without it to go to WDW! and trust me, everything goes in it except snacks and water!

We take fanny packs and a backpack. Wear the fanny packs all the time because they are light and put the backpack in a locker and only carry what we absolutly know we will need.

Fanny packs are probably out of style anywhere outside of theme parks. I would never wear one unless I was in one! (no lie). Even with the "I'm too cool for fannie packs" attitude, I used one at WDW last week. Held both cameras in the main pouch and my money, credit cards, ID, etc.. in the second pouch. Came in VERY handy. :)
(you see them everywhere in the themeparks)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter