• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you attack Universal Studios, in Hollywood!?

AussieAngel

DIS Veteran
In what order do you like to do Univeral Studios, Hollywood!?

Do you do all the rides first, then the shows? Or the other way around?

Are there any rides which should be done first, to avoid long waits?

My BF (27) and me (25) are heading there in just over a month, and I'm very excited!! :banana:

There are SO many Disney day plans to follow, but I haven't seen many about Universal!

We'll be there next month, too, and I was wondering the same thing. We definitely want to do the tram tour - do that first, or leave it for the afternoon?

I am very interested also. I will be there in about 5 weeks and can not wait!!! Any suggestions are appreciated. I was going to do the folt pass, we are not sure yet if we will be there on a Sunday or Monday so if its Monday do we need a fotl pass? Any ush professionals????

My own personal preferences:

Get there as close to opening...blah blah blah....same as Disneyland. :)

Go straight back to Back to the Future and ride it first. Then you'll be poised to go to the lower level when the rides/attractions there open 1/2 hour after the upper level of the park.

On the lower level, ride Jurassic Park and The Mummy (possibly several times without any wait at all). If interested, also do Backdraft, Special Effects and see the Lucy museum. (Although I kinda like doing the two main rides both during the morning and evening, getting up and down to the lower level can take a little time, so if you're trying to do everything, get it all done in one stop).

Go back up and check the times guide for the different shows Shrek and Terminator are continuous, so fit them in between the other shows. Don't miss Shrek, and Terminator. I also love Water World and the Animal show. But personally, Fear Factor makes me want to puke, so check to see how squeamish your stomach is first.

Also, don't forget the tram tour, it's a must see. The tour is about an hour, and the line moves pretty quickly for the tram, so don't be dismayed if it looks long, ask a ride host how long they think it will take (and go to the bathroom upstairs before going down to the tram level, there are no bathrooms down there :teeth: ).

As for the rest, the Blast Zone is a nice place for little ones to cool off while the bigger folks ride something they're either too short for or is too scary (They will get soaked!!!). I've never done the Van Helsing haunted house, but I hear I'm not missing much. I'd say skip the whole Flinstone carnival games area unless you've got extra time.

So basically, do the rides first (unless you're getting a FOTL pass, which you probably won't need on a weekday). And pick the shows you want to do and do them later. Eat when you're hungry, etc. USH is not really a big park, except for walking time to and from the lower level.

There are these great digital park maps with wait times and show times at the bottom of the lower level escalators, at the top of the escalators to the lower lot, and close to the front entrance, they are very accurate and helpful in deciding whether you want to wait to ride something or try again later.

If you've got more questions just ask. :wave:

Yay! Thanks, MadeToLove!! A Universal expert! :cheer2:

Which is your favourite ride?

I've read about the digital maps, they sound cool!

Do you also get a map when you enter the park?

AussieAngel said:
Which is your favourite ride?

Do you also get a map when you enter the park?

second question first: yes, USH has paper maps, just like DLR, at the turnstiles when you enter. Make sure you get both the map of the park and the times schedule (a little slip of paper). The schedule will tell you what rides are closed, when the shows run, whether you can use a front of line pass for that show or ride, how long the shows and attractions run, etc. If you forget to grab a map as you go through the turnstile, look to the side, I think it was on the right, there's a little information booth with maps and schedules, in other languages too. Note that the park map does not include City Walk, and I can't remember if there is a City Walk map anywhere (except for a few big glass display cases with maps like you find at shopping malls).

As for my favorite rides, I'll rate them and give you a brief description. :)

#1 Shrek 4D... I love 3D/4D attractions like Muppets and It's Tough to be a Bug, but I think Shrek is the best of the bunch (I love the movie). It has an adorable pre show, and the movie is really well done. The 4D part is quite a surprise on your first visit, so I'm not going to spoil it for you. This is totally kid friendly, but full of jokes only the grown ups will get, just like the movie. I believe the movie is the same as a straight to DVD version that came out between Shrek 1 and 2, but the 4D aspect makes it feel totally new and original.

#2 The Mummy...don't let the small size of the building fool you, this is a great little roller coaster. Like Rock'n Rollercoaster at WDW and California Screamin at DCA, this ride propells you from 0 to ?50? MPH in seconds. it doesn't go upside down or make any huge drops, but it's fast. It is a bit scary for some kids. The mummies are a bit gory and intimidating. I went with my 8 year old roller coaster buddy (a child of friends) and she kept her eyes closed the whole time, however, when we got off, she said she loved the ride. By the way, whether the park is crowded or not, the lines for this ride pick up in the late morning, (slow loader), and stay long until a couple hours before park closing, so go early. During slower periods, they'll let you ride twice in a row in the mornings. Put all your stuff in the free lockers near the exit before you enter, they won't let you take anything on the ride. And there's a test seat outside to make sure you'll fit.

#3 Jurassic Park...I like water rides, and this is a nice one. It's like Jungle Cruise, Jungle Cruise, Jungle Cruise...OMG!!!!! :scared1: :rotfl2: You're more likely to get wet if you're in the front two rows or on the sides. If you ride it twice, try to sit on the right side of the boat one trip and the left the next. The left side has smaller, funnier dinos (a better side for kids too), and sight gags, (check out the broken down boat, look in the water, see what the tourists left behind ;) ). This ride can be scary, the drop expecially, for kids, let them watch others come down the hill for a while before they decide. When they see everyone laughing after screaming, they'll probably want to give it a try. By the way, a few times, I've seen the poncho vender "loaning" ponchos to riders who promise to bring them back so other riders can borrow them, ask if you're interested in a poncho.

#4 Back to the Future...It's beginning to feel a bit dated, but is still fun. Generally, kids love it, especially if they can sit in the front of the car. It's a motion simulator and can be quite bumpy. Depending on how many levels they've got open, it can load fast or slow, but my experience has been that it's pretty slow, so go early.

#5 the Tram Tour....Wisteria Lane from Desperate Housewives is the big attration here, but it's tons of fun to see where they've filmed so many TV shows and movies. The guides are very good. Note that currently, the town square from Back to the Future (clock tower, etc.) looks nothing like it because of another show filming there (?Ghost Whiperer? Medium? one of those). Don't miss the tour, it's what this park was built around. Great for all ages!

As for the rest:
I love cute little animals, so check out the Animal Actor's show. Kids love it. The show is a little different everytime because they use different animals.

I'm not a fan of Terminator movies, or Arnold, but I have to admit, the Terminator 3D movie is impressive. It has live action as well as movie. Some kids may find it a bit intense, but others love it.

Waterworld is a great stunt show.

Fear Factor made me want to barf, but my guy friend who loves the show loves it. I'd say, if you're turned off by the TV show, skip the attraction.

I never got the chance to do the Backdraft or Special Effects stages (long lines build by afternoon), but my friends say that both are worth seeing. I've also never done the Van Helsing Fortress (it's a walk through haunted house that never really interested me). I Love the little Lucy museum, not much, but nice if you liked the TV show.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but if I am, I can't think of it. :lmao:

Cool! Thanks so much for your detailed response, MadeToLove! I think you should write a book about Universal! :cool1:

And there's a test seat outside to make sure you'll fit.

Auh!! Frightening!

I'm not big, but do many people not fit?! Are the seats made for kids, or tiny little LA bottoms? Eeeek!

Speaking of which, are there any places in Universal you would recommend for a yummy lunch?

We plan on having lunch in the park, then heading to City Walk for dinner and a play after we finish at the park.

AussieAngel said:
I'm not big, but do many people not fit?! Are the seats made for kids, or tiny little LA bottoms? Eeeek!

Speaking of which, are there any places in Universal you would recommend for a yummy lunch?

The Mummy seats aren't that small, but it's nice to know they have a test seat to try first. But they are larger than the average sized LA actor bottom. :thumbsup2

a yummy lunch inside the park??? :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:
It's mostly fast food, (burgers, pizza, chinese). Honestly, I just try to pick a place that's near where I am when I'm hungry where the line isn't too long. Mel's diner, and the Jurassic Cafe tend to have the biggest crowds, if that helps. I'd stick with something light and plan my big meal for dinner at City Walk. There's a really good Mexican restaurant at the mid point of city Walk, sorry I don't remember the name. I also like Bucca di Beppo, a family style Italian restaurant where you party shares the food.

When we went in May, we did Back to the Future first then went down to the lower level did Jurassic Park twice and the Mummy twice. We also bought the front of the line passes, which was great. We were able to do all the rides and shows, and not have to wait in line for anything, in May the wait times were about 25 minutes. Backdraft and Special effects are pretty cool, and we took some great pictures of the Lucy musuem. We then made our way back to the upper level and did Back to the Future again and then the tram tour. Waterworld is a must, Terminator was great as was Shrek. My kids who are 16 & 17 loved Shrek. Fear Factor was not open so we didn't get a chance to see that.

If they have any tickets to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, grab them they are free!! If you get the tickets from Universal they are guaranteed tickets which means you will get into the show. NBC gives away (by mail) more tickets than the studio holds, so if you get the tickets by mail and your not at the studio early morning you probably will not get into the show. We didn't have to be at the studio until 3:30 (show tapes at 4:30), so that still gave us a day to spend in Hollywood, and not waste time standing in line. It was a great experience, you have to be at least 16 to see the show, so if you have little kids this might not work out for you.

Also Universal has the all you can drink for $5, this is well worth it. We didn't buy the all you can eat for $20 as we didn't have time to stop and eat.....shorter hours in May, so we didn't want to miss anything in the park and we had planned on eating on City Walk afterwards.

Lots of great restaurants and shops on City Walk (we ate before we went into the park and after).

All in all we had a fantastic time at Universal, this was a first time experience for my kids and husband.

Have fun!!

If they have any tickets to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, grab them they are free!!

Augh!!!!!

I LOVE Jay Leno!! My boyfriend and I sit up every night here in Australia to watch! We didn't write in for seats though, because it was all just too hard to organise, from Australia...

Do Leno seats at Universal pop up often? Or should I not get my hopes up? If so, are they usually for the same night? And where / what time do you pick them up from?

And again, MadeToLove, thankyou so much for your ideas!! I was imagining just a quick, 'nothing fancy', burger for lunch, so that sounds fine. :thumbsup2

When we went on the tram tour our guide told us that we could get Jay Leno tickets at the booth (can't remember the booth, but it was where we validated our front of the line passes), his guest that night was Ellen Degeneres (sp?) I love her and tried to get tickets to her show.....but they only had 2 tickets left for the Jay Leno show that night, but they did have tickets for the Wednesday night taping (we went on a Monday to Universal). So we scooped up the tickets, not knowing if we would go or not, and decided on the Tuesday night that we would spend the day walking Hollywood and ending it at the Tonight Show. From what I heard they always have tickets at Universal for the tonight show, as Universal owns NBC (or is it the other way around)?? When you first get into the park just ask one of the attendents and I'm sure they will point you to the right direction.
Like I said the tickets were free, and now a days nothing is free, and it was just an added bonus to our holiday, something that wasn't planned but enjoyed by the four of us......and my kids don't even watch Jay Leno and they had a blast.

I've got an AP for Universal Studios (Hollywood). After having been there a bazillion times, I recommend that you do the Studio Tram Tour ASAP because it closes early and takes about 45 minutes. A useful tip for the tour is that they do allow food and drink on it, so a lot of times we'll get something like a frozen lemonade to take on it.

The $5 drink pass is worth it on hot days. Though keep in mind that it's ONLY for fountain drinks and it's only for the restaurants, not the carts. I discovered that you can use it at the more permanent places like Fossil Fuels and Ben & Jerry's in there though. Haven't tried it at their Cinnabon, but I'd imagine it works (just not for Chillatas, obviously).

The $20 all you can eat deal is probably good...when more restaurants are open. When they originally started that promotion, there were a lot more restaurants included in it. The last time I was there, there were only TWO. And it was summer at that point, so I don't know what the deal was. Doc Brown's Chicken is being refurbed, and that used to be included, so perhaps that's part of the reason?

Oh, and a great place to eat inside the park? The El Pollo Loco place over towards Back to the Future. They've got half a chicken, rice, beans, and tortillas for $7.99...there's enough there that two people can split it and still have a lot. Overall the food in there is very reasonable though.

But yeah...USH is fun, but it's not incredibly large, so if you get there close to when they open you should have no trouble doing everything (or nearly everything) within the one day. Oh, and also, we've gotten there right when they open and it's weird because most everything doesn't open until about an hour later. Also, nearly everything in the shops is about the same. It's not like Disneyland where different stores will have a huge difference in items. There is a pretty cool store over by Doc Brown's Chicken though. It's something like Silver Screen Shop or something. Anyway, they've got actual clothes from shows...mostly soap operas, but last time I was there they had a bunch of Will & Grace stuff and I think Law & Order stuff too. There's also a discount store over by the Animal Actors Show (which is a cute show, btw).

Note- VanHelsinc(sp?) VERY VERY SCAREY!!! This was the first attraction we went in when we went in June. I had no idea what it was about DH has seen the movie, I have not. It is the scariest haunted house where people actually jump out at you. DH is never allowed to pick the attractions we go on again because of this ride! :sad2:

Studio Tour- Fabulous, a definet must do!

Back to the Future- To jarring and feels dated.

Shrek 4D- Wonderful show, loved it.

Jurassic Park Ride- Great water ride we went on this 3 times in a row, it was a low attendance day, and we could just walk on basically.

Mummy- Shortest ride I've ever been on. I did keep my eyes closed the whole time. We only waited about 10 minutes for this ride, but the line can get huge, and really the ride is very short, intense but short.

Backdraft- Totally LAME!!!!

Waterworld Stunt Show- The best thing in the park. Keep in mind if you sit in the "soak zone" they really do mean soak!

Thanks for all the great advice !! I'm a bit confused about what opens when - does the entire lower level open after the upper level? Which level is the tram on? If the tram is open right away and we head right for that, will there be lines for Mummy and JP by the time we get off the tram tour? We have been skipping BTTF at USF for the last few years as we also find it aging and very jarring (maybe it's just me who's aging ;) ).
Does anyone know if there are any differences between Shrek and Terminator at USH and USF? TIA ! :smooth:

bjakmom said:
Thanks for all the great advice !! I'm a bit confused about what opens when - does the entire lower level open after the upper level? Which level is the tram on? If the tram is open right away and we head right for that, will there be lines for Mummy and JP by the time we get off the tram tour? We have been skipping BTTF at USF for the last few years as we also find it aging and very jarring (maybe it's just me who's aging ;) ).
Does anyone know if there are any differences between Shrek and Terminator at USH and USF? TIA ! :smooth:

Every time I've gone, the lower lot attractions (Jurassic, Mummy, etc.) open 1/2 an hour after the rest of the park, and close 1/2 an hour before the park closes. I think this is because it takes some time anyway for people to get down there, and get back up again, so why waste electricity.

Technically the studio tour is also on a lower level (not the same as the part of the lot Jurassic and Mummy are on), but it does usually open when the park opens. I don't think you necessarily need to do it first, lines for it move faster than for Mummy which is a slow loader, even if it is a short ride, because only one ride vehicle can go at a time. Then again, if you do it first, you'd probably still get to ride Mummy and Jurassic with short lines.

As far as I know Shrek and Terminator are basically the same at both parks.

MadeToLove said:
. . . The Mummy. . . Put all your stuff in the free lockers near the exit before you enter, they won't let you take anything on the ride. . .

The seats have small mesh pouches for small items. (Otherwise, excellent report!)

Woody

How about tips for October? Going to be there at the end of October. Worth buying the FOTL pass? How busy is it?

Great info! We are going to USH on Apr.4. It'll be the first full day of our 10 day So-Cal trip. I feel better having a plan of attack ready before we hit the park.

:cool1:

My family and I will be at USH on Friday, April 13. Given that is the week following Easter, do the experts feel that we should get the FOTL pass?

The price difference through AAA is $30pp between regular tix and FOTL. This will be probably our only trip ever to USH as we are from MA (so we want to see/ride everything).

Any advise would be very much appreciated...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter