How do you attack Universal Studios, in Hollywood!?

My family and I will be at USH on Friday, April 13. Given that is the week following Easter, do the experts feel that we should get the FOTL pass?

The price difference through AAA is $30pp between regular tix and FOTL. This will be probably our only trip ever to USH as we are from MA (so we want to see/ride everything).

Any advise would be very much appreciated...
Seeing as it'll be your only trip ever to USH, I'd say get FOTL passes. Having never visited the park at Easter, I don't know what lines will be like (maybe someone can tell you for sure??) but I'd say splash out and spend the $30 more each and ensure that you ride everything several times. Once you've been on JPRA and ROTM, you'll want to keep riding. And the lines are pretty much always a fairly long wait so take advantage and ride as much as you can.

Have a great trip!! :thumbsup2 I wish I was going. ;)

We have AP's and went today - just got home. It was very crowded today. We saw many more people than when we usually go. We take the park slowly and don't rush so we don't worry about the FOTL passes but if you are only planning to go once it is worth it on the busy days....
Today we arrived just before noon and did the tram ride first, then onto the bottom lot and did the special effects show. Jurassic Park was 40 minutes and the Mummy was down at that time. Back to the top and we did the amimal actors show, terminator and then did the tram ride a second time .....
We also walked through the new Horror attraction that used to be Van Helsing - it was very firghtening and I even knew it was just make believe. Still the mnsters jumping out at you, the blood etc.... very scary and not for the young kids.....
We did have time for Shreck 4D but choose not to go because we had seen it many times before....
I love the Desperate Housewives location and the War or the Worlds too.
If you do get the FOTL passes make sure to still arive about 15 minutes early or they may give your reserved area away....

We'll be there next month, too, and I was wondering the same thing. We definitely want to do the tram tour - do that first, or leave it for the afternoon?

What is the tram tour, that sounds interesting to me?

What is the tram tour, that sounds interesting to me?
It's a 40-45 minute tram ride which takes you through Universal's famous backlot where you'll have many famous locations from movies pointed out to you. The trams are fitted with screens and Whoopi Goldberg will be your tour guide pointing out things on the tour and telling you facts about the studios and the people that have called it home over the years.

The USH tram tour also incorporates the classic Orlando rides featuring King Kong, Jaws and Earthquake. There's also a Fast and the Furious section now too. And War of the Worlds. For film and TV enthusiasts, and anyone with even a smidgen of either knowledge or love of the same, it's a must see/do!!!!! :thumbsup2

THanks Sinba one, looks like I am going to go on that tour, sounds good to me. :woohoo:

second question first: yes, USH has paper maps, just like DLR, at the turnstiles when you enter. Make sure you get both the map of the park and the times schedule (a little slip of paper). The schedule will tell you what rides are closed, when the shows run, whether you can use a front of line pass for that show or ride, how long the shows and attractions run, etc. If you forget to grab a map as you go through the turnstile, look to the side, I think it was on the right, there's a little information booth with maps and schedules, in other languages too. Note that the park map does not include City Walk, and I can't remember if there is a City Walk map anywhere (except for a few big glass display cases with maps like you find at shopping malls).

As for my favorite rides, I'll rate them and give you a brief description. :)

#1 Shrek 4D... I love 3D/4D attractions like Muppets and It's Tough to be a Bug, but I think Shrek is the best of the bunch (I love the movie). It has an adorable pre show, and the movie is really well done. The 4D part is quite a surprise on your first visit, so I'm not going to spoil it for you. This is totally kid friendly, but full of jokes only the grown ups will get, just like the movie. I believe the movie is the same as a straight to DVD version that came out between Shrek 1 and 2, but the 4D aspect makes it feel totally new and original.

#2 The Mummy...don't let the small size of the building fool you, this is a great little roller coaster. Like Rock'n Rollercoaster at WDW and California Screamin at DCA, this ride propells you from 0 to ?50? MPH in seconds. it doesn't go upside down or make any huge drops, but it's fast. It is a bit scary for some kids. The mummies are a bit gory and intimidating. I went with my 8 year old roller coaster buddy (a child of friends) and she kept her eyes closed the whole time, however, when we got off, she said she loved the ride. By the way, whether the park is crowded or not, the lines for this ride pick up in the late morning, (slow loader), and stay long until a couple hours before park closing, so go early. During slower periods, they'll let you ride twice in a row in the mornings. Put all your stuff in the free lockers near the exit before you enter, they won't let you take anything on the ride. And there's a test seat outside to make sure you'll fit.

#3 Jurassic Park...I like water rides, and this is a nice one. It's like Jungle Cruise, Jungle Cruise, Jungle Cruise...OMG!!!!! :scared1: :rotfl2: You're more likely to get wet if you're in the front two rows or on the sides. If you ride it twice, try to sit on the right side of the boat one trip and the left the next. The left side has smaller, funnier dinos (a better side for kids too), and sight gags, (check out the broken down boat, look in the water, see what the tourists left behind ;) ). This ride can be scary, the drop expecially, for kids, let them watch others come down the hill for a while before they decide. When they see everyone laughing after screaming, they'll probably want to give it a try. By the way, a few times, I've seen the poncho vender "loaning" ponchos to riders who promise to bring them back so other riders can borrow them, ask if you're interested in a poncho.

#4 Back to the Future...It's beginning to feel a bit dated, but is still fun. Generally, kids love it, especially if they can sit in the front of the car. It's a motion simulator and can be quite bumpy. Depending on how many levels they've got open, it can load fast or slow, but my experience has been that it's pretty slow, so go early.

#5 the Tram Tour....Wisteria Lane from Desperate Housewives is the big attration here, but it's tons of fun to see where they've filmed so many TV shows and movies. The guides are very good. Note that currently, the town square from Back to the Future (clock tower, etc.) looks nothing like it because of another show filming there (?Ghost Whiperer? Medium? one of those). Don't miss the tour, it's what this park was built around. Great for all ages!

As for the rest:
I love cute little animals, so check out the Animal Actor's show. Kids love it. The show is a little different everytime because they use different animals.

I'm not a fan of Terminator movies, or Arnold, but I have to admit, the Terminator 3D movie is impressive. It has live action as well as movie. Some kids may find it a bit intense, but others love it.

Waterworld is a great stunt show.

Fear Factor made me want to barf, but my guy friend who loves the show loves it. I'd say, if you're turned off by the TV show, skip the attraction.

I never got the chance to do the Backdraft or Special Effects stages (long lines build by afternoon), but my friends say that both are worth seeing. I've also never done the Van Helsing Fortress (it's a walk through haunted house that never really interested me). I Love the little Lucy museum, not much, but nice if you liked the TV show.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but if I am, I can't think of it. :lmao:

Is Wisteria Lane still featured in the Tram tour? I sure hope so but if anyone can answer this, I would greatly appreciate it. :)

It was when we went last month.

Woody

We were there last Sunday (May 27th) and we were able to drive down the 'lane'. Shooting is not happening right now so it should be opened for a while. The only do the exterior shots there too so chances are it will be opened for your 'tour' too......

I love visiting it every time...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter