"How do you look so relaxed at Disney World" - Our May AoA adventure

I LOVE this trip report, now I have to go read your PTR. I LOVE the organization, I LOVE the pictures, you are really good at it. I love the ones that look like paintings, is that a feature on Photoshop or something? I love it!:laughing::love:

Photos from the second safari:

We missed the Flights of Wonder showing we were planning on making so we will try to make that next year. We ended up getting a Mickey bar, to cool off and explored some of the shops until it was time for our Yak & Yeti reservation.

We had really cool seats at Yak & Yeti, that overlooked the big tree, and was a great spot for people watching. It also overlooked the stroller parking, which Goose found oddly exciting.

I am not saying his lets were tired by this point or anything, but it was about here that he started to anthropomorphize his stroller who he named "walk". While we were eating he looked out the window and said "There he is! There is my stroller! There is walk". He then went on to tell us how Walk was eating with his friends. He likes to sit with his friends while we go on rides".

Another unforeseen side affect of the character breakfast was that now at lunch Goose was on the look out for more of his tv friends. He at one point said he saw Barney (we think he was actually looking at a large purple umbrella) he was also looking for the rescue bots. We let him pretend. He was having a blast.

The atmosphere at Yak & Yeti was better than I remember it, but the food wasn't quite as good. We were also pretty full from breakfast. We decided next year we will probably do a quick service for lunch at Animal Kingdom.

After lunch we had our Kali River Rapids fast pass. We got one of the complimentary lockers to keep my camera nice and safe and then when to the fast pass line. This was probably our longest fast pass wait, but it was a pretty line, and in the shade so it wasn't too bad. We knew Goose met the height requirement for this one, but I was still worried it might scare him. He liked the barnstormer so we decided to give it a go.

He was excited getting on the boat, but Mr. Incredible spent so much time telling him it wasn't scary and not to be afraid that I think it made him a bit afraid. He covered his eyes when we got to the top of the hill, but he loved the big splash at the bottom and his favorite part was "Daddy getting wet", and boy did Daddy get wet! He was the wettest on the ride.

I think Goose and I got just wet enough to cool off.

I was also really grateful for the Columbia quick dry dress I found on Amazon. I was able to get wet, cool off and not stay soaking all day!

After Kali River Rapids we made our way back to "Walk". Goose gave Walk a big hug, and said "I love you walk!" We then walked over to Expedition Everest, which I rode using the third fast pass. I enjoyed how smooth it was. It was not as scary as I expected.

When I finished Expedition Everest Mr. Incredible went to get our stuff out of the locker and Goose and I watched some dancing.

And then we made our way to the Maharaja Trail. Goose was out before we even got there.

I got my camera back out.

After the trail, We found a stand that sold the combination margaritas (my favorite!) We sipped our margaritas, and slowly made our way to the bus. We were also able to grab yet another photopass photo with a sleeping Goose.

Up next Keeping Cool

Goose looks very satisfied with that cookie! I'm sorry Via Napoli was disappointing :(

The pictures of you and Goose dancing are so sweet :) Great Illuminations photos!

Tusker House looks like it was a great time! Great safari pictures! Aww Goose's reaction to the porcupine surgery is so precious.

You know it probably wouldn't have been disappointing if everything else hadn't been so awesome!

Dancing with Goose may be my favorite part of Biergarten. His conversation around Mabel was hilarious. We have most of it on video. Too cute. It was all such a great time!

I adore the picture of Goose from behind where he is walking into the sunshine. Absolutely perfect!!

Wonderful Safari pics! AK really is a beautiful place to photograph!

That is one of my favorites! There are so many beautiful corners of Animal Kingdom!

I LOVE this trip report, now I have to go read your PTR. I LOVE the organization, I LOVE the pictures, you are really good at it. I love the ones that look like paintings, is that a feature on Photoshop or something? I love it!:laughing::love:

Thank you and thank you :blush: Disney lets me combine so many of my loves, planning, photography, travel, and fun time with family! It is great to share that excitement. The one's that look like paintings are edited in Light Room and then a tone mapping/HDR software called photomatrix. I really love that look too, especially when dealing with a subject matters as whimsical as Disney World!

Subscribing! I am especially interested since we are taking our 3 year old in August.

Love all the pictures. I have the same feelings about photography at WDW. I want to be able to enjoy myself and be *there* but I also *really* want the pictures!!!

Awww, you got awesome pictures of everything! What a great day at AK! I'm glad goose had so much fun with it all. We skipped the affection station last time but we'll have to do it sometime. It looks like you had a lot of fun.

Following along also, love your photos! Would love to use your spreadsheets as will so will PM you.

Also, hoping for inspiration as I am currently writing my 1st trip report - your is such fun. :cool1:

Subscribing! I am especially interested since we are taking our 3 year old in August.

Love all the pictures. I have the same feelings about photography at WDW. I want to be able to enjoy myself and be *there* but I also *really* want the pictures!!!

It is such a hard balance! I love capturing those special moments, but I also want to be a part of them!

Have a great trip in August! 3 is such a great age for the trip!

Awww, you got awesome pictures of everything! What a great day at AK! I'm glad goose had so much fun with it all. We skipped the affection station last time but we'll have to do it sometime. It looks like you had a lot of fun.

Thank you! Goose had a great time! We skipped the vet part last year, and I am glad we caught it this time. I can't believe how much more we did this year than last year, and I thought we did a lot last year!

Following along also, love your photos! Would love to use your spreadsheets as will so will PM you.

Also, hoping for inspiration as I am currently writing my 1st trip report - your is such fun. :cool1:

::welcome:: Glad you are enjoying the photos! Link your trip report! I would love to follow along!

Ah finally caught up. Oh Good is adorable, moving along for Donald. Cute. The family picture outsider Tusker House is beautiful. I thought your unexpected date night at O'Hana looked fun. Your photography is great and it's making me re-think bringing my dslr. Hmm.

Wow...what a great TR!!! Your Goose is adorable!!! And I absolutely love the photo of him walking the path at AK (a backside shot)...kind of misty...great shot!!! DH and i are doing the early TH breakfast, like you did, in Nov and I think your report has helped me decide to not use our 3 FP+ at AK that day...I am thinking we can do EE a couple times and the Safari and then walk the paths before heading out pretty early (maybe around noon with the combo margarita in hand too). Thanks for sharing!!!

Ah finally caught up. Oh Good is adorable, moving along for Donald. Cute. The family picture outsider Tusker House is beautiful. I thought your unexpected date night at O'Hana looked fun. Your photography is great and it's making me re-think bringing my dslr. Hmm.

Thank you! We had a great time at Ohana! I was on the fence about bringing the dslr but I was glad I did.

Wow...what a great TR!!! Your Goose is adorable!!! And I absolutely love the photo of him walking the path at AK (a backside shot)...kind of misty...great shot!!! DH and i are doing the early TH breakfast, like you did, in Nov and I think your report has helped me decide to not use our 3 FP+ at AK that day...I am thinking we can do EE a couple times and the Safari and then walk the paths before heading out pretty early (maybe around noon with the combo margarita in hand too). Thanks for sharing!!!

Thank you! I love that shot! I think you can totally do AK in a half day of you do the early breakfast and the combo margaritas are a great way to cool down before moving on :)

I have had a lot of fun writing this trip report and hopefully you all have found it helpful and entertaining. I am about half way through, so I thought I would touch on some things I skipped over and saved for a special section on keeping cool.

My first obvious tip is a stroller fan! We used this one

http://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Str...8&qid=1401284968&sr=8-1&keywords=stroller+fan

but there are lot that can be found on amazon

First here are some ways we found to keep cool in each of the parks.

Magic Kingdom:

People Mover!!!
Did you know you can ride it over and over again? You don't have to get off when it ends, I learned that handy little tip right here on DIS. It is a great way to rest your feet, take in the sights, and cool off.

West Side of Main Street Shops
When walking down main street in the afternoon we liked to take the west side and go through the shops because they are mostly connected and it is a blissful bit of AC, and they were not too crowded.

Tom Sawyer Island This one may make less sense, but it is really shady, and with the water all around we found it a bit cooler.

Epcot:
Club Cool I left this out of our Epcot day. I had read about Club Cool but I wasn't really sure where it was, and then we stumbled upon it while looking for a straw. It is just before the World Showcase Bridge to the right if you are facing the World show case. You can sample cola's from around the world and cool off for a bit. We ended up stopping there several times.

Innovations We walked through Innovations a lot for a bit of cool air. It is a great AC break.

Combination Margarita This guy deserved another mention because it is just sooo darn good. We actually had one both Epcot days, and at Animal Kingdom, and would have had them on other days if we found them. So refreshing!

Animal Kingdom:

Trails The Maharaja Jungle Trail, and Paganini Forest Trek are really quite shaded and not to hot at all.

Kali River Rapids This is kind of obvious but I thought I would mention it anyways

Combination Margarita! Yep bringing it again!

Hollywood Studios:

(we were really hot at this park, concrete everywhere...I probably need all you guys advice on this one!)

Most attractions are indoors, so that helps, and there was a nice shaded area by the Honey I Shrunk my Kids playground.

Now the best way we found to stay cool was the pool of course! I remember when we were planning our first trip I was debating taking breaks at the resort, posted a question about it and quickly learned people have very strong opinions one way or the other about this. For us a break at the pool is the best thing ever! We love our pool time and are refreshed for the evenings.

Our first trip we tried to take a shorter break at the park and get back to the park by like 4 or 5, which was a bit insane. This year we stayed in the park a bit later and then went back to the resort and didn't leave to go back in until about 5:30 or 6. This got us in for 7 pm dinner reservations and worked nicely.

Now I keep talking about our pool breaks, but you may have noticed, there have been no pictures! Well believe it or not I didn't get my camera out once while down at the pool, but I do have some phone pictures from through otu the week, and this seems like a great place for them.

Goose ready to go to the pool.

Goose and I at our Cozy Cone.

Mr. Incredible and Goose in the cone.

The Cozy Cone Pool. This is our favorite. It is a lot quieter than the big blue pool, and in case you haven't figured it out, we like to avoid crowds.

Goose Drying off in the awesome towel I got from the Disney Store before we left.

The playground by the big blue pool.

"Pit Pit" Goose's favorite.

Ahh relaxing!

Our touring style works for us. I am not as seasoned a Disney Vet as some, but we managed to get through the trip with only 2 temper tantrums, and they were pretty short lived at that. I find that pretty impressive for a normal week at home with a 3 year old, so we must have done something right :)

Those are my tips for staying cool. What are yours! I would love to hear about the cool spots you guys have found.

MeeskaMomma,

you're Ohana link isn't working on the first page.. found it though :)

Also, is that a donut hole on Goose's plate at Tusker House? I heard rumors they switched from donuts to donut holes but this is the first sighting.. is it true?

The towel you found Goose is great! I want one in my size!

That technique you used on the Nemo pool caught my eye again! I just love it!

Great tips for keeping cool! I totally agree about mid-day pool breaks! Goose is just too cute!

They make a world of difference don't they!

MeeskaMomma,

you're Ohana link isn't working on the first page.. found it though :)

Also, is that a donut hole on Goose's plate at Tusker House? I heard rumors they switched from donuts to donut holes but this is the first sighting.. is it true?

Thanks! I think I fixed it. There were donut holes, which Goose prefers so it was perfect!

The towel you found Goose is great! I want one in my size!

That technique you used on the Nemo pool caught my eye again! I just love it!

Isn't it! Mr. Incredible wants a sully one in his size, I may have to try to make him one :)

Thank you, I am a fan of HDR.

Love the pool pics! That Mickey towel is the cutest thing ever!

Thank you! Disney Store! I didn't see any like it at the parks.

awesome on the donut holes!! i prefer them too, bite size so they are less messy and more sugary coating per bite :)

loving your report also!!

We skipped Hollywood Studios last year because we had fewer days and there seemed less that would entertain a 2 year old a this park. I was excited to explore this park, but we knew it was going to be a different experience because we were going against the crowd calendar for the first time, not making rope drop for the first time, and had less on the agenda. It was like a whole new touring style for us.

Extra magic hours were at Hollywood Studios that day so it opened at 8, we got there right at 9, and walked straight to Toy Story Mania. There was already a line as expected so we did the Toy Story Character Greet. This was Goose's first non meal character great.

It went...okay...he really wasn't that into it.

After the great we decided to stand in line for Toy Story since our first fast pass wasn't until much later. This was our first time standing in a 20 minute stand by line...ever! It wasn't so bad. The ride was a lot of fun. I thought we did pretty good until I saw the high scores! Man oh man! I think Mr. Incredible wants to read up on strategy for next year.

After the ride we walked around Walt Disney, one Man's Dream. Which was really interesting. Mr. Incredible is fascinated by the operations of Disney World and by Walt's vision. I noticed he is reading two books on these subjects right now.

We tried to kill a bit of time at the Honey I shrunk the kids playground. I was really excited about this because I had heard such great things, but it was patch day for goose, and things can be extra scary on a patch day, and this was one of those times. He started climbing the stairs by the big dog nose, he heard the loud sound of the dog snorting and it scared him so bad. He was ready to leave.

We then headed over to Disney Jr. Live on Stage.

IMGP8198 by katebazin1, on Flickr

We had a fastpass, but I am not sure if it was really needed. The seating all seems about the same. It was kind awkward for the parents to cram in on the floor and then just when you think you are settled they have you scootch forward.

At least it was air conditioned, and it wasn't long before the show started.

IMGP8201 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8209 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8210 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8213 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8218 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8228 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8231 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8232 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8241 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8249 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8252 by katebazin1, on Flickr

Now the only shows Goose is familiar with are Mickey House Clubhouse and Jake the Pirate, but he was still thoroughly entertained, and it was fun watching him enjoy the show.

Next we walked around the magic of Disney animation, and Goose got to look at the display for the new planes movie, which is very exciting because it combines pretty much his favorite things, all they need is to add astronauts and they have the ultimate little boy movie!

It was almost lunch time and we didn't really have a plan so we decided to head toward the back lot tour. On the way Goose started talking about the dog in the playground again. He said "That dog was scary, but he was really just sad, is he otay?" I tried to explain he was pretend, but Goose wasn't buying it. I finally said, yes he is just sad, not scary. Goose decided he wanted to face the dog. (He doesn't like being afraid) So we made our way back to the playground instead. We made it through the gates, Goose walked bravely toward the dog, then stopped, turned around and headed out. He was not going to conquer this fear today.

Studio Catering was about to open so we decided to grab a table and get an early lunch, we were all hungry.

Mr. Incredible had the

Chicken Caesar Wrap - Oven-roasted Breast of Chicken, Romaine, Caesar Dressing, and Wheat Flour Tortilla served chilled with Coleslaw, Apple Slices, or French Fries

We didn't even take a picture, he didn't really like it.

I really liked my sandwich on the other hand. I got the

Toasted Tuscan Deli - Shaved Smoked Ham, Salami, Pepperoni, Provolone, Caesar Dressing, Pesto-marinated Vine-ripened Tomatoes, and a Tuscan Roll served with Coleslaw

It was pretty good. Of course this was also our first in park quick service so we really didn't know what to expect with that either.

Goose had the chicken nuggets, which were chicken nuggets and he enjoyed them as always.

After lunch we tried one more character great. Sully is Mr. Incredible's favorite and there wasn't much of a line so we stopped for a visit.

Goose enjoyed this one a lot more.

Then, it was time for our Lights, Motors, Action, Stunt show fast pass!

I am glad we had the fast pass for this because we got seated way earlier than everyone else, but boy was it hot! I would definitely do this show again, but with a large ice cold drink, and really wish I had brought the stroller fan! There was also really long wait for the show to start. Goose got ancy, so we were glad we had the sticker book in the bag.

The show itself, was worth the heat!

IMGP8320_tonemapped by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8357_tonemapped by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8372_tonemapped by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8395 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP8409_tonemapped by katebazin1, on Flickr

Goose loved it!

We were so hot after the show we decided to turn in. I know we didn't see much of the park, but the heat and the crowds were working against us. We still had a fast pass for Toy Story too, but we were too tired for that. I wanted to try and book a fourth for when we went back to Epcot in the evening but I was told you can't unless you retrieve your final fastpass, so I asked the CM if I could go in and scan all our bracelets, she let me, and when I saw how long the fast pass line was, I was glad we decided to skip it.

We stopped for a picture on the way out.

We had a lot of fun but I also learned this is not our touring style. I felt like we did a lot of meandering, and didn't get much done. I don't know if that is more the nature of this park or if it was our attempt at a more laid back style. I also decided we wont go against the crowd calendars again! I always wondered if they were accurate, now I know!

Any tips for Hollywood Studios next year?I know we missed Star Wars, we definitely will do that next year.

Hollywood studios just doesn't do anything for us. We now grab an early ADR at Hollywood and vine, eat and get to toy story mania to be first in line when the park opens. Ride it a few times then leave and go do another park or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter