"How do you look so relaxed at Disney World" - Our May AoA adventure

How awesome that your son was chosen as Junior Mayor!! Great pics, he looks so happy with his ice cream :goodvibes

It was such a great surprise! I didn't event know that was a thing!

Just caught up! popcorn:: Love your spreadsheet. Organization calms me, and even looking at yours made me feel nice and relaxed. :rotfl2: Very cute Olaf made out of towels. Speaking of, how great you were able to find and buy a plush for Goose! Those things really do sell like hot cakes; you two probably earned tons of brownie points for obtaining one on your first park day. :thumbsup2

"Organization calms me". Lol we are peas in a pod! I feel the same way!

I thought his Olaf towel tower was pretty clever!

How hungry are those pics from the plaza making me? It looks so yummy! Mr Incredibles meal is calling my name! Goose is too freakin cute with his ice cream face! I'm going with "he liked it!" That is SO awesome that he got to be jr mayor! Pixie dust!!

It was sooo yummy. He did like it. He is not a big eater so I love to see him actually enjoy food!

Forgot--love the dumbo pictures. The movie makes me cry, but I love the ride! And the family pic with goose looking at the fireworks is great!

Thank you! I love that movie but it makes me cry too. I love that section of the park. I just love the vintage circusy feel of it.

SO cool that he was picked to be junior Mayor. that picture that shows the Barnstormer is amazing. Awesome photos!:thumbsup2

It was so cool! And thank you. It is one of my favorites. But I have to admit the photos get much better!

I'm totally with you on not liking to ride the rides alone. I ended up not going on very many when DD was as young as Goose so last trip when she was big enough to do almost all of them I finally got the chance to ride some- many for the first time! Space Mt included :goodvibes

Yeah even with rider swap it is no fun. We decided to save everything else for when goose is old enough. Except soarin. I rode that by myself.

I love this. Even though you didn't end up doing it - I love that he thought of it!!!

I hope someone else steels the idea. It was very clever of my DH!

I caught up with your trip report so far and I'm subscribed to follow along. What a great trip so far! Can't wait to read the rest! We just got a plush, pull apart Olaf in the mail through Disney Movie Rewards. I had no idea it was such a hot commodity! It's for my little guys 7th birthday in a few weeks. I love that Goose was chosen as Jr. Mayor. The Mayor holds a special place in my heart. Lots of pixie dust for your family so far! Keep it coming!

Welcome aboard! We had no idea he was a hot commodity either. Lucky you found one!

The Plaza looks AWESOME! I am so excited to eat there during our trip! and I love the coordination of the white shirts/red shorts... so classic!

It is one of our favorites! That is why we went there twice! Thank you! It was our most matchy day. DH is such a good sport!

OMG those desserts :love: I think John made a very cute Junior Mayor! Agreed about your outfits you all look so good!

They were sooo good! Thank you! He was a cute mayor. And glad you guys liked the outfits :)

:cool1: Hooray for DS being Mayor Jr. It's those little pixie dust magical moments that end up being the most memorable.

Both your meals at Plaza looked delish!!! I've never had the pomegranate lemonade - I may have to add it to my "Try" list!

:cool1: Hooray for DS being Mayor Jr. It's those little pixie dust magical moments that end up being the most memorable. Both your meals at Plaza looked delish!!! I've never had the pomegranate lemonade - I may have to add it to my "Try" list!

Outside the Aqua Fresca it is my favorite Disney non-alcoholic drink!

A Magical First Night starting with Ohana

After Magic Kingdom we took a long dip in the pool. We ended up doing this every day and it was a great way to recharge for the evening. Then it was on to our evening plans.

I don't remember which TR or PTR I got this from but somewhere n DIS someone described there favorite way to spend there first evening at Disney World. It sounded magical and as soon as I read it I wanted to try to emulate it. If you are reading this and think "hey that was me!" Speak up so I can say thank you, thank you, thank you! We did copied it and it was awesome.

Our evening started with dinner at Ohana. I have read great reviews of this place so I had get expectations.

To get there we took the bus to Epcot and then rode the monorail. I love the Polynesian, it is where we stayed when I was little so t beings back find memories. We had a nice walk around before making our way Into the restaurant.

The atmosphere was great.

We had a nice view.

I had the Lapu Lapu to drink and it did not disappoint.

I didn't take a lot of pictures of the food, but in case you haven't read about it this is how it works. Food is served family style as much as you please. They being dish after dish and then meat in long skewers. Here is the description from wdwinfo

Ohana's Dinner
Starters: Pork fried dumplings, Corriander chicken wings, and Mixed Greens with Honey-Lime dressing. Skewers (prepared over an oak fire): Marinated sirloin steak, Asian BBQ pork loin, Mesquite grilled turkey, and non-peeled shrimp. Accompaniments: broccoli and green peas and pad Thai noodles. Sauces: peanut, chimichurri and sweet-and-sour. Dessert: 'Ohana bread pudding a la mode with Banana Foster sauce.

Goose filled up on the sweet bread and Thai Noodles

Then he turned around in his chair and fell sound asleep.

They let us being the stroller I and transfer him to that.

Unfortunately he fell asleep just before all the fun luau dancing started. He still got a lei though.

And we had a nice date night quiet dinner, almost like a date night.

After eating a lot of the food we thought to take pictures.

I know a blurry half eaten plate isn't the best representation of the wonderful food offerings, but it gives you an idea.

Then the amazing bread pudding came. Which we gobbled up and the book a picture of the last night and the awesome sauce...it was awesome sauce.

After dinner it was time implement part two if my dis inspired plan. A walk down to the beach to find a bench swing and watch the boat parade.

We set up camp with Goose still asleep when we got to the swing, which worked out nicely because it gave us some more couple time. After a while I got out my camera and took some pictures. Unfortunately I did not have my tripods which makes night photography hard, but I got some shots I am pretty happy with.

Isn't that a romantic view!

Then Goose woke up and climbed up on the bench swing with us. Just as we were taking a family selfie the boat parade started and we caught this face.

How great is that!

Watching the boat parade was the perfect way to end the day.

I have hear that that is also a great spot to watch wishes, but we were still an hour out from wishes so we decided to make our way back. We rode the monorail to Magic Kingdom, and were about to head to the buses when we decided to head back into the park for fireworks instead. It was a last minute decision but we were re-energized after our perfect evening.

We made our way to the tomorrow land bridge to watch the show because it wasn't that crowded.

We just took an iPhone snap shot of this show because I had big plans to take pictures another night. It was my first time seeing the show since Goose never made it that late last ear and it was as magical as I expected. As we were watching I noticed a woman with a boy a little but older holding up her cell phone, she had face timed her mom as was showing her the show, and I could clearly see her moms face. She looked elderly and she had tears of joy running down her face. It brought tears to my eyes it was such a touching moment.

We grabbed a picture on the way our and made our way back.

The bus line was packed, and we had to wait for a couple of buses, but we didn't mind, Goose was still going strong, and we were still jazzed from our evening. It was sweet seeing all the warn out sleeping kiddos.

When we got back goose wanted to say goodnight to all the cars so we made our way around the car section, he patted each car and sea is good night.

We did bath, read the Olaf book we brought and he was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

It was a magical evening, made possible by Dis.

Next up, Epcot!

We've done Ohana for breakfast before and it was delicious. After seeing this I think we'll have to add dinner there as a must-do! Looks great *yum*!

Also, I totally just teared up reading about the lady face timing her mom during Wishes. That is just too sweet!

Ohana sounds like it was a great time, and nice that it turned into a mini date for you and DH :)

Love those nighttime pics. Awesome that you got to go on the beach and watch the water pageant..that family selfie is SO adorable!

And ending the night with Wishes at MK? So perfect!

We watched the water pageant from 'Ohana's beach last time we were there and I loved it. I am worried that the construction might make it so we can't this next time.
Were you right by Ohana still? It looks like you were closer to the Grand Floridian?

I wish you'd gotten that idea from me because that night looks awesome!! Sounds like a perfect night, with some date time thrown in too!

We did breakfast at Ohana and loved it. I want to try dinner sometime too. And your drink looks fun too!

That's was probably one of the best rides you could use your front of the line card for! The Speedway always seems to have a line.

What a nice thought to buy extra things to give to other children! We used to give away our paper fast passes if we weren't going to use them, and people would look at us like we were crazy. I guess it's so rare for people to do nice things anymore. (That was when you could still use fast passes past their time expiration...)

Mmm, bread pudding! Ohana has become a must do for us. I've learned you can ask for mac n cheese for the kids that aren't fans of the food there.

That face time moment brought tears to my eyes, but that's not hard to do when it comes to Disney. I have the park soundtrack and Wishes soundtrack, and certain songs do the same thing to me, like Soarin.

I have to ask, what settings do you use to get those beach pictures? Long exposure, or just editing?

Just subscribed and following along your trip looks great so far! I love the AoA we toured it right after it opened and found it amazing with all the characters everywhere. We are going in July and I can't wait to watch the electrical water pageant.

We've done Ohana for breakfast before and it was delicious. After seeing this I think we'll have to add dinner there as a must-do! Looks great *yum*!

Also, I totally just teared up reading about the lady face timing her mom during Wishes. That is just too sweet!

It was soo good! Mr. Incredible wants to try their breakfast. If it is as good as the dinner I am in!

Ohana sounds like it was a great time, and nice that it turned into a mini date for you and DH :)

Love those nighttime pics. Awesome that you got to go on the beach and watch the water pageant..that family selfie is SO adorable!

And ending the night with Wishes at MK? So perfect!

It was sooo perfect. I had know idea what kind of mood Goose would be in by the time the evening hit, so I thought the plan was ambitious but it ended up perfect!

We watched the water pageant from 'Ohana's beach last time we were there and I loved it. I am worried that the construction might make it so we can't this next time.
Were you right by Ohana still? It looks like you were closer to the Grand Floridian?

WE were by Ohana. We tried to get to the beach last year but the construction blocked our view, this year it was open.

I wish you'd gotten that idea from me because that night looks awesome!! Sounds like a perfect night, with some date time thrown in too!

We did breakfast at Ohana and loved it. I want to try dinner sometime too. And your drink looks fun too!

I wanted to try breakfast after reading your report! The drink was super yummy. A warning it is kind of strong so take it slow.

That's was probably one of the best rides you could use your front of the line card for! The Speedway always seems to have a line.

What a nice thought to buy extra things to give to other children! We used to give away our paper fast passes if we weren't going to use them, and people would look at us like we were crazy. I guess it's so rare for people to do nice things anymore. (That was when you could still use fast passes past their time expiration...)

Mmm, bread pudding! Ohana has become a must do for us. I've learned you can ask for mac n cheese for the kids that aren't fans of the food there.

That face time moment brought tears to my eyes, but that's not hard to do when it comes to Disney. I have the park soundtrack and Wishes soundtrack, and certain songs do the same thing to me, like Soarin.

I have to ask, what settings do you use to get those beach pictures? Long exposure, or just editing?

I really wish we made the Olaf thing happen. It would have been so neat. I will have to think of something similar next year. Sharing fast passes is a great way to spread the magic!

They brought him chicken nuggets, because he wasn't eating much, but then he discovered the noodles and the chicken nuggets went untouched. It is nice they have kid food at the ready.

The facetime thing was pretty cool. It was a perfectly Disney moment.

I wish I could have used a longer shutter speed, but since I was shooting hand held I didn't want to go above 1/60 sec (I was shooting at 55mm), I shot at f/2 to get as much light in as possible, but that meant cranking the ISO all the way up to 3200, which made for a noisy photo. I edited it in Light Room, and used a tone mapping software. I tried to remove the noise in post and keep the detail, but it is still pretty noisy.

Just subscribed and following along your trip looks great so far! I love the AoA we toured it right after it opened and found it amazing with all the characters everywhere. We are going in July and I can't wait to watch the electrical water pageant.

::welcome: We love AoA! It is a complete Disney immersion!

We woke up energized for the day.

Goose at the bus line ready for the day.

We made it to Epcot just just as they were opening and went straight to Test Track. Goose had seen this on the video and REALLY wanted to ride it, but we weren't sure if he would make height requirement. I measured him at home and he was at like 39.5 inches. We thought we would give it a try. We made it up there, the CM measure goose and his hair was touching the mark but it was obvious his head didn't quite reach it. The CM seemed to consider it for bit before saying no. We are not one to argue with safety measures. I wasn't sure I wanted him to go on it anyway since it was borderline. When he said no it looked like Goose was about to get upset, we promised him cars (oops, should have known better). Then Mr. Incredible noticed the cars flower and garden section and said "Look, there are the cars, lets go!" and like magic :wizard: it worked! Goose was very much appeased.

And we spent time on this playground.

Now this may seem like a waste of a rope drop, but we had fast passes for everything else we wanted and the world showcase rides didn't open until later, so we spent sometime exploring the flower festival crowds free, and I got out my camera. Everyone was cheerful at this point and it made for a great morning.

Goose was very serious about getting stamps for his little book.

Then we made our way to Nemo for our first Fast Pass.

Notice we still have our book

Last year Goose was not a fan of Nemo or the aquariums. We thought maybe he was just in a cranky mood, but this year the same thing happened again. He is very photosensitive and aquarium lights have bothered him before, so we are thinking the lights on this ride and in the aquariums bothered him. We may have to skip it next year.

We headed towards spaceship earth, and then Goose saw the Innovatiosn building and started saying Firetruck, Firetruck! We thought it must remind him of something from somewhere else, but he was so insistent we followed him in, and sure enough there was the firetruck!

We stopped by there last year but I forgot about it completely!

We spent some time at the firetruck and then waited at the fountain for our fast pass time.

Family Selfie

I love spaceship earth, but for some reason I didn't take any photos!

After spaceship earth we headed back to the world showcase. We really wanted to ride Maelstrom and it was opening soon. Luckily we got there just as it was opening and didn't have much of line.

This is another ride we didn't take pictures of that we love. My husband lived in Norway for a while as a kid, and his dad was project lead for some of those big offshore drilling platforms, so he loved the murals. My mother-in-law's house is full of Norwegian stuff, so John kept pointing to things saying "It's like Ba's house!" Basically Norway was big hit with us!

Next up: Via Napoli, Biergarten, and Illuminations!

Goose is SO CUTE with his F&G booklet!!

I adore the monorail shot edit! IT.IS.PERFECT!

My kids love the firetruck too and playing in the little house right near it. I sat in the "living room" and the kids ran around playing in the house while we waited our turn for the Disney Visa rewards character meet and greet this time. No one was doing the fire safety game thing so they didn't mind the kids just playing in the house. Sure beats standing in a line! :)

Goose is SO CUTE with his F&G booklet!! I adore the monorail shot edit! IT.IS.PERFECT!

It was so funny how into that he was!
Thank you! It is one of my favorites!

My kids love the firetruck too and playing in the little house right near it. I sat in the "living room" and the kids ran around playing in the house while we waited our turn for the Disney Visa rewards character meet and greet this time. No one was doing the fire safety game thing so they didn't mind the kids just playing in the house. Sure beats standing in a line! :)

They were doing the safety thing but we still had fun just hanging out at the fire truck. It is amazing what they remember. Goose was 2 last time we went!

Agreed! It should be on a postcard!

Thank you!

Via Napoli and Biergarten

I won't spend a lot if time Via Napoli because it was kind of a disappointment. Here's the thing, I was expecting authentic Italian pizza, wonderful fresh flavors that would take me back to my semester in Rome. And I know you can't really compare Italian pizza to American pizza, it is practically a different food entirely.

We had one of the first reservations, and they seemed to be late opening, it also seemed a bit more chaotic than I expect from a Disney table service restaurant. When we were seated I was a bit disappointed in the atmosphere. Nothing too special about it. We were sitting in a half both half chair table and it was very close to the tables around us.

We ordered Aqua Frescas to drink which was my favorite part! I had the strawberry and Mr. Incredible had the orange. It is definitely my favorite non alcoholic drink.

We ordered a large half margherita and half sausage. The crust was thin as expected but it seemed underdone. I am wondering if since we were first in and and they seemed to be opening late and scrambling at that of maybe the ovens weren't hot enough yet? My other issue is it just didn't taste fresh, the tomato sauce wasn't great, and the sausage was not good at all. We weren't fans. But we still had fun. And it was worth it for the aqua Fresca!

Not thrilled with our lunch we headed to Germany for a treat. John chose this giant cookie.

We headed back for a swim. And then back to the park for my favorite dinner Biergarten!

We made it to Epcot a little early and took out time walking to the restaurant. Good thing too. Goose loves the trains. So we watched those for a while.

Does anyone known if the trains are always there or if it is a flower and garden thing? We have only been to the park during flower and garden festival so we wonder what it looks like the rest of the year.

While we waited for our table we explored some of the shops in Germany. I love all the glass work.

Mr. Incredible it's have too because he took a ton of pictures but I won't bore you with all those. I ended up buying a glass blown Mickey ornament and having it sent our resort. How convenient is that!

Snow White also walked by why we were waiting and stopped to talk to John. It happened so fast I didn't get my camera out in time. Then it was time for Biergarten.

First the atmosphere. I love the atmosphere.

I love that you sit on a big table with other families (I know we were too close to thee families at via Napoli but it is different when it is intentional). It really does remind me if the Hofbrauhous in Munich except probably more family friendly.

The family we sat with was from Chicago. And since I lived in Chicago briefly in my early 20s we had plenty to talk about.

Now for the food. Personally I LOVE the food. Mr. Incredible was not a huge fan last year but liked it a lot more this year. I think that is because the buffet is kind of mixed bag, you have to be selective.

The sausages, the sauerkraut, the potatoes, Mac n cheese, and the schnitzel are my favorite. I also really like the beer flight.

Mr. Incredible likes the potato soup, pretzel bread, sausage, and Bavarian cheesecake best.

Goose likes the sausage, cucumber salad, schnitzel and strawberries the best.

We had a bit of a wait for the music but it was so worth it.

I took goose to the dance floor and mr. Incredible took over the camera.

IMGP6849_tonemapped by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP6880 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP6894 by katebazin1, on Flickr

IMGP6928 by katebazin1, on Flickr

And we danced! My favorite part. I grew up going to polka festivals and we live to far to go to any now, but this gives me a small chance to polka with my son.

IMGP6998 by katebazin1, on Flickr

And of course the chicken dance.

IMGP7116 by katebazin1, on Flickr

Like I said this is my favorite dinner! It remains on our must do list.

Yes, the trains are always there, but the playgrounds are not.

Again, beautiful pictures! Apparently I need to get my photography books back out and do more reading, and maybe invest in another lens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter