• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you use your vacation club?

imgoingtodisney

Goal! going on this cruise 37lbs less and I will e
Just wanted some ideas on how everyone uses their vacation club. My husband and I are sitting down tonight to discuss joining. Do you skip Disney and go to Vero Beach? Go on the cruise? etc? How do you vacation?

Last year we used our points for a couple of nights at VB and the rest in a 2 bdr at OKW. This year earlier we did a couple of nights at the GC at DL and the rest will be used in about a week in a 1 bdr at the BWV. Next year we plan on VB and either OKW or BWV in early October.

WE own our points but our two DD's gladly help us use them. The answer to your question for us is we do a little bit of almost everything. Our points are mostly at OKW but we do have an add on at HH. One of our DD's has been to HH, VB and OKW about 3 times. Other DD has done BWV, OKW a couple of times and the Disney Wonder 3 day cruise. DW and I have been to HH , BWV and OKW 6 or 7 times. We bought in 2/98. And of course we have had to add on four times as you could surmise from the above.

The flexibility of DVC is what makes it great. Not only the different resorts but you can stay a couple nights or more in great accomodations to suit your needs.

Thus far, we have used the program mainly for WDW (and we take additional family members often like daughter, her husband and the grandkids). On one occassion I used concierge collection for three gluttonous golf days at the American Club in Wisconsin.

We bought in 1994 at OKW. We have been to WDW 16 times since joining. We have also used our points at Vero, the cruise twice and nights in London. We just love the flexibility of the program.
I sent you a PM so if you click on your PM button you will be able to pick it up.

Enjoy

Ed
DVC 1994

I think the DVC usage will change as the family changes.

Right now, we can't imagine taking DD(10) and DD(12) anywhere but WDW. They have no interest in anything else.

I can see as the kids age, we will probably try different destinations.

I can see as we get empty-nested, my DW and I "sampling" a lot of various places. But I can also see us going back to WDW as a couple.....we've never been able to do that!

Flexibility, choices, planning.....you gotta' love it! :)

We have done a little bit of everything. We own 250 pts at OKW and 250 pts at Vero.

We have stayed for a week at OKW at x-mas, rented a two bedroom at BWV on two occasions and invited my family on one of the trips and invited friends on another, stayed a week at vero in a one bedroom before taking a three day cruise, stayed at HH for 5 nights in a one bedroom then drove to disney and stayed in a studio at OKW with another couple for a week, We booked the 7 night cruise for next april and have just decided to go down a week early and stay in a studio at OKW, we are renting a grand villa at OKW for next October and treating two couples (plus us) to a week long visit, we just returned from a week at VERO that we rented with another couple who are also DVC members and we pooled our points and rented a two bedroom, we stayed at VWL for 5 nights this past may, we stayed in a studio at the BWV for a few nights then drove to VERO and stayed there for a few nights then drove back to disney and stayed at OKW for a week.

As you can see, there is no ONE way to use DVC. The flexibility is great.

WE primarily use our DVC membership for WDW vacations and a few nights of R and R at VB. We are hoping to cruise next year sometime! I can't wait to try out HH!!! When my DD's get older, I am sure our destinatins will change!!

We have been members at OKW since February 1992. Since then our DD has grown from 5 to 14! And her brother has progressed from 0 to 7! Early on all that existed was OKW, so the decision was easy. Lately we have used our points at the Disneyland Hotel . We have tried all of the WDW vacation club spots, and the WL before VWL was completed. We fequently tack on a couple days at VB.. the slow pace and ocean are welcome after a stint at WDW.

Look forward in the future to going to Disneyland Paris, and maybe an Alaskan cruise.

mac_tlc

DVC '92

'74, '75, '76, '77, '79, '80, '83 (hunnymoon), '85, '90, '91 off-site
'92 DVC
'93 DVC, DVC
'94 DVC, DVC, DVC
'96 OKW, OKW, OKW, VB
'97 OKW, OKW, VB
'98 OKW, OKW, VB
'99 WL, OKW, OKW
'00 OKW, Magic, VB, OKW
'01 DCA, VWL, BWV, Magic

We became members at BWV last year. With kids in college, there's just to two of us so we take short trips and only need a studio. Since then we've stayed at BWV for a few nights, one night at Charleston Place (conceirge collection) combined with 3 nights at HHI. Our next quick trip will be 3 nights at OKW and we have a private exchange at Four Seasons Aviara in Carlsbad, CA for next fall in the works. A few years down the road I hope to be using the larger units for family vacations. If we didn't have this kind of flexibility we would not have joined; it works well for many diverse vacation choices.

We own 150 pts at VB and 250 at BWV. We have a 5 yr old and bought the first 150 At BWV when he was 6 months old. We bought the 150 VB points 4 months later. Then added another 100 BWV 6 months after that.

How do we use our points? We usually stay at BWV in 1 bdrm for a week in the fall. In the spring usually May we start off at BWV in a 1 bdrm for 3 or 4 nights then drive down to VB for 3 or 4 nights.

Our next trip is to BWV in November and then in the May we are going on the 4 night cruise and then staying at BWv for 6 nights using points.

Since our son has started school this year (kindergarten) this will probably be the last year that we can get away with going twice during the school year. Starting next year we will probably go to BWV in the fall and then wait until school is out for the summer to take another trip.

We will being going through withdrawal if we can't go twicea year.

We have 300 points. The three of us go to BWV (1 bdr) for a week after school is out each year. That's DH, myself and DS, who is now 18. DS brings along a buddy who pays for his ticket to the park, but we cover everything else. Last year we started with 2 days at Vero before WDW. That was so lovely, we will add it to the regular trip from now on.

DS and I also do a short mother/son trip either before or after Christmas to see the decorations, usually just 3 days.

This coming summer we've planned a large family trip. DS and DD with spouses and the one grandchild plus the three of us as usual. The GVs were not available because of rehab so we've reserved a 2 BDR and 2 studios. We've had to borrow to pull that one off, so it will not be a yearly occurence.

We own 250 points, it's just enough for 12 nights in a standard view 1 bedroom.... If we had more points I'm sure we'd spend time at both Vero & HH... course DH would need more vacation time

Hi. We purchased in 1991 and now have 400 points. We usually have one trip per year to OKW, and every other year to HH or VB. We go to Disneyland probably every other year. We have used points at Disney Paris as well. Tokyo Disney doesn't take points, so we had to pay.
The remainder of the points go to other resorts around the country. We have stayed in Vermont, at the Sagamore in Lake George, NY. We went to the Four Seasons in Carlsbad, CA
two years ago. That was REALLY nice. We have used points twice in Hawaii, and several times in NYC. I am planning to trade for something in the United Kingdom within the next two years.
My husband is of Welsh descent, and we would like to go back to see Wales and Scotland.
We are also on the Nov. 10th sailing of the Disney Magic on points. So you see, you can use your points for a variety of places around the world. In all the years we have been members,
I find travelling with DVC one of the best ways to go. Anita.

hi: we have 360 at bwv and primarily use our points at wdw. friends and family like to help us use them so they don't go to waste.LOL. our son used a good chunk of them this summer for his honeymoon at bwv and gf. our younger one wants to go to dl/ca with some of his buddies. i'm voting for dl paris, but that may have to wait. the flexibility is great.

We usually split our vacations between Boardwalk and Vero, with some WDW time and some relax time at the beach. We find it to be a great combination.

We have 150 pts at BWV and just did an add on of 100 pts at HH. Reading the previous replies it seems like we don't have enough. We loved HH and would like to go there every summer. The kids loved it last year (7 and 1)....it's going to become a tradition for us. We plan on going to DW and want to try the Disney Cruise when the little one is 3 or 4. It's one of the best things we've ever done. Knowing that a majority of our vacation expenses are covered for the next several decades is wonderful. I love to plan ahead and it really affords me that opprotunity. I can't wait to figure out how best to use our points.

We tend to do just about the same thing every year.

May: BWV or OKW for 2 nights ( Flower and Garden Festival @ Epcot and Golf), followed by 3 nights at Vero.

Oct: BWV or OKW for 5 nights (Food and Wine Festival, Golf, and Parks). We usally invite family or friends to go with us on this trip. If we go alone we will split the trip up and go to Vero.

Every couple of years we try to take a weekend @ HH if we still have any points left. Sometimes 220 just doesn't seem to be enough :rolleyes:

We have 635 points at OKW. We do a big family trip (10 adults, 3 little grandkids and more to come) every other year at Thanksgiving. DH and I go in March by ourselves. We're trying to figure out how we can go every Nov the odd year by ourselves, we might have to do another add on!

We have 250 points at OKW and 50 at VB. After a week or so at WDW, it is nice to relax at VB before going home. This year we will have travelled to OKW twice and VB once. Next yaer we hope to visit HH for approx 10-12 days in Sept-Oct., & save some points for 2003 or 2004. We will take one year off from visiting WDW. We were thinking of maybe staying at OKW and visiting Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Universal, etc. (never visited Seaworld or Busch Gardens). Around HH is Savannah, GA and Beauford, SC, which are suppose to have very interesting sightseeing venues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter