How hard to book DVC resorts?

We're also preparing to become DVC owners and one thing I have noticed (and we are preparing for) is that the TYPE of room you will book most often matters as much as where and when you are booking.

We had someone try to sell us on purchasing enough points to get a value room. Then I started reading about how few of those there actually are, and how difficult they are to get. We are adjusting our points target to accommodate either a 1 bedroom, or a room with a preferred view to increase our chances of getting what we want when we want it.

I will say that ALL the advice we have gotten has include to buy at the resort you would like to stay at most often. Home resort advantage matters, especially if you know that in the near future you'll be able to plan more in advance. These contracts are decades long, and if you know you'll have more advance notice in the next 5 years for vacation time I'd choose a resort with the long term in mind.

The time frame you're talking about tends to be peak regular park traveler season, but DVC seasonality seems to run a little counter to that. There was a fantastic thread someone compiled about room availability across each week of the year, but I forgot to bookmark it! If I can find it I'll link it here.

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-studios-1-bedrooms-june-2018-update.3689931/

Actually with the advent of point rental companies it is possible to sell out at 11 month window . It is not being oversold as there is a finite number of points but if everyone wants to go Dec 1st then obviously some people will not get what they want even at 11 month window. If you are looking for popular times then get in at earliest possible booking hour at 11 month window or you could be shut out or be forced to spend more points for a different villa size or view. It is no longer a safe bet if you own at BWV,BC or other smaller popular resorts.

I bought into BCV last year and just made my 11 month window for next October. Didnt want to take the chance of missing out on my room knowing that time of year is popular

June, July and August you can book a 1 bed in any resort at 7 months. Quite a bit of studio availability, but not nearly as much as 1 beds. Starts to tail downwards after 7 months, still some good choices in 1 beds at 6, and even less.
Given your circumstances if you wish to sleep around and could be booking less than 7 months out in particular, I’d consider buying enough points resale for a 1 bed.
I only bought DVC to sleep around by booking at 7 months so from the beginning I went with the 1 bed strategy. I have never regretted that decision. I also would never go back to a studio now anyway with the family as we have become spoilt by 1 and even 2 beds for the 4 of us. Built into my strategy is in 10+ years when I retire when the kids perhaps stop coming, my wife and I will use our points then for studios for 3+ week stays every year to escape U.K. winter, and I fully accept that then our choice will be more limited.

We are preparing to join DVC: :cool1:

I would love to hear feedback from current DVC members regarding:

Summer (late June/ July/ early August) Reservations:
(1) how hard is it to secure a reservation at your home resort 11 months out?
(2)a different dvc resort 7 months out?
(3)any dvc resort 4 months out?

I am a teacher, and my husband can't confirm vacation dates until 4 or 5 months before. '

Thanks!
For late June early July, I just booked a studio in OKW. Many studios were available for my 5 night stay, not BCV, only 4 nights there. I WANTED OKW for the two queen beds.

We found availability pretty decent at our 7 month window just recently (travel starting June 28th 2019). We picked up a 7 night reservation at GF in a standard studio but there were a number of other decent choices as well (e.g., BW garden view, BLT lake view). Much better options compared to what was available at 7 months prior to our mid 2018 Oct trip. We were still able to pick up a week at BLT LV for that trip at 7 months but that took far more effort/luck... Flexibility, effort, and luck are definitely needed at 7 months for the fall, but changes are possible.... At the end of the day being happy with what you have secured at 11 months is really important though. Change at 7 months is just a bonus!

Very hard to get reservations The last couple of years there has been no availability for me and DVC takes my points. I feel they have oversold the resorts. I have tried all months. I understand not available but they will take your points . I have banked points and then still can't get reservations
Not sure why you bumped an old 2009 post ... but I read your frustration. I'm sorry you are struggling with using your points.

For comparison, I have no troubles using my points. In 2018 we've enjoyed a Copper Creek Cabin in January, a 1BR OKW in October (booked specifically for the DVC Moonlight Magic event) and even snagged a very last minute BWV Studio for later that same month (October, booked <3 weeks from travel). Looking forward, I have a Treehouse for January and a Savannah view Studio for March. So, booking isn't impossible.

Suggestions:
a) Try looking at different unit types. Generally, 1BR units are far, far easier to book than Studios.
b) If you require a large unit (3BR), book your home resort at the 11 month window. Be ready to book as soon as the system opens for online booking on that important day. Studio? Maybe the same until you get a better feel for the demand.
c) Learn how to use the Waitlist.
d) Learn how to stalk inventory online.
e) Be sure to look across all the resorts! (Or at least all the resorts that are geographically practical for your intentions?)
f) Try Vero and/or Hilton Head if you are somewhere near the East Coast.
g) Try Aulani if you can access that from the West Coast. (We've been enjoyed Aulani twice ... it is a great vacation!)

Good luck. You can do this! The better you know the system, the faster your "luck" will improve!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter