• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long have your old magic bands worked?

3littlecuties

DIS Veteran
We last went in Nov 2018. Would those bands still work? I've read 2 years but I'm curious what actual experience has been. Also, I know they no longer give free magic bands with resort stays but what about if we purchased old annual passes (Platinum pass) but haven't yet activated them and didn't order bands before the parks shut down. Would we still be eligible to get free bands with those passes? It doesn't look like it when I try to order online but thought I'd ask.

Finally, if you were in our situation where our old bands may or may not work, would you go ahead and buy new ones before you go? I know I can buy once there if our passes don't work but I'm thinking they may be cheaper online? Some of them I just looked at have "special" pricing of $15 or $20. Regular prices is $35. I'm assuming in the parks they would be at the higher price?

The old bands will still work. The only part that may not work is the "long range" function such as on-ride photos. Any place that requires an actual touch point will work no matter what.

We last went in Nov 2018. Would those bands still work? I've read 2 years but I'm curious what actual experience has been. Also, I know they no longer give free magic bands with resort stays but what about if we purchased old annual passes (Platinum pass) but haven't yet activated them and didn't order bands before the parks shut down. Would we still be eligible to get free bands with those passes? It doesn't look like it when I try to order online but thought I'd ask.

Finally, if you were in our situation where our old bands may or may not work, would you go ahead and buy new ones before you go? I know I can buy once there if our passes don't work but I'm thinking they may be cheaper online? Some of them I just looked at have "special" pricing of $15 or $20. Regular prices is $35. I'm assuming in the parks they would be at the higher price?
Yes, at the parks they are full price. You would get your AP discount but it's less than the repurchase discount.
You would not get a free band when you redeem an old AP voucher. The AP you purchased no longer exists. The AP voucher you have is converted, for lack of better words, to the equivalent AP currently offered.

Old bands will work on any of the touch points (park entry, LL), the battery issue comes into play for long range features like video or photo where you don't tap and the signs that say your name like in the Everest line. If you don't need this than your fine, if you do have MM and don't split up much then spring for one new bad to grab the photos'/videos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter