• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much paid vacation do you get?

How may weeks paid vacation do you have?

• Total voters
I get PTO as opposed to strictly "paid vacation". We start with 160 hours of PTO and can roll up to 280 over from year to year meaning on the first of the year you can have 440 hours after just 3 years since you have to take a minimum of 40 hours per year.

4 weeks of vacation, 4 personal days plus 3 days between Christmas and New Years separately listed as 'Winter Break'. I think we have like 11 holiday days off as well. Don't remember how much sick time - but it's a lot and few use that much of it.

We can roll over vacation each year up to a year's worth (4 weeks). If we get to the end of our fiscal year and have more than 4 weeks, you lose that portion above and beyond 4 weeks. Sick time accumulates forever, but when you leave the college, you can only cash out a portion of it (I think it's either 2 or 4 weeks, I forget).

Oh, and my wife is a partner in a public accounting firm (Big 4) and technically, has unlimited vacation time - which is to say, she is pretty much on the clock all the time regardless of where we are.

Last edited:
We get 3 weeks and then 5 days sick though if you go over they still pay you. Also get the last normal work day off before Christmas eve and then come back first normal work day after new years. We also can get up to a extra week off to volunteer for a charity if we want. Also get good Friday and all the national holidays

As a teacher I got paid a salary based on contracted days of the school year and salary was simply divided and paid out in 12 installments, so no paid vacation days. During contracted days, there were 3 paid personal days I could take and generous sick leave allowances though. Since teachers don't work year round, sometimes people perceive those days not working as paid vacation days, but that's not how it works. It's an entirely different system.

When I worked at the library, I got three weeks paid vacation plus some sick leave.

Now I'm only a sub at both, so no leave provided.

There is no paid vacation leave in the school systems for which I have worked unless the person is on a 240-day contract. There are only sick days. Sick days are allowed to be converted to up to 3 personal days per school year. The rules further state that unpaid personal leave is limited to two days. The superintendent may approve further personal leave without pay up to 5 days. And these personal days are generally not allowed to be combined with school breaks.

When the percentage says that 25% of Americans get no paid vacation time, I do have to wonder how many of those are on contracts which already limit the days worked, like teachers, for instance.

ETA: Jury duty is paid and does not deduct from sick days. Bereavement leave of an immediate family member is granted at 3 days per school year (not deducted from sick leave) and you can take an additional 3 days of your sick leave for bereavement leave of an immediate family member. Bereavement leave that is not an immediate family member will convert sick days.
Religious leave requires use of personal days and then possibly leave without pay once personal days are utilized.

Last edited:

With my time in service I earn 8 hours every 2-week pay period, so I get 208 hours (5 weeks and a day) annually. We can carry over 240 hours into the next year. That and the 10 federal holidays means I only work slightly more than I'm off. :D

I am on PTO so all sick and vacation time in one bank. I am now up to 28 days off a year. That works out that I earn a day off every pay period. I cap it out at 1.5 years my annual allowance and can carry over all of it (apparently only my state has that benefit due to a state law?). Employees in other states can only carry over 80 hours so it gets interesting at the end of the year with my team mates in other states all taking a lot of PTO (like a day each week or a whole week off) to get under their 80 hour cap to carry over. I am currently carrying 230+ hours of PTO, and only have 4 more days off planned in 2018.

Other.

I have DTO (discretionary time off). Theoretically there is no limit, although I don't know what it would be practically. I haven't counted, but I would have to guess maybe I'll end up taking 15 - 20 days this year.

Befefore we switched to DTO, I had somewhere in the mid 20's. 25? 26? I forget, honestly.

I voted one week, but I also get five paid sick days per year that I end up using as vacation days since I very rarely get sick. We also get paid holidays, and we get more than one day off for some holidays (2.5 days for Thanksgiving; 2 days, sometimes 3, for Christmas; 2 days for Fourth of July; 2 days, sometimes 3, for New Year).

I marked 3 weeks, but I currently get 17 days. But that includes sick time also, we don't get that. I work at home though, so I'd have to be really darn sick before I would use that for illness. As of January 1st though, I will be in my 5th year and that number jumps to 25 days. Technically we get hours, not days, so January 1st, I will have 200 hours.

I work at a university and get roughly 4.5 weeks of paid vacation a year, plus the week between Christmas and New Years off (with pay!). In addition to this I get 12 sick days a year. All can roll over into the following year to a max of 300+ hours at which you need to use them or might be able to cash some out. I always use them.

5 weeks plus 7 personal days was what I had when I retired plus 12 sick days per year and 13 paid holidays.

you get 2 weeks years 1-5
3 weeks after 5
4 weeks after 10
5 weeks after 15
after that all you get is one extra personal day at 20 years then you are maxed out.

None.

I'm an independent contractor. I can take off any time I want/need, but none of it is paid.

Im just amazed that a minimum wage burger flipper who is paid by the hour and has worked for the company for 1 year in Ireland gets more paid holidays than some of you who earn double and have been with your companies for almost 10 years!

The other crazy thing in the US is that people don't take all their days! Something I read said that 52% of Americans don't take all their paid vacation.

I currently get 30 days per year, and once I hit 10 years of service (in 2 years) I will get 33 days. We don't get separate sick leave, it's all combined into one lump PTO bucket (which I prefer, because I rarely need a sick day). It rolls over every year up to 42 days and we get 11 paid holidays per year.

I work for the state and currently get 2 weeks paid vacation until I hit 4 years of service, then it will go to 3 weeks. I think after 10 years it may go to 4 weeks. We can roll over some vacation days for a year, but not all.

All federal holidays, including day after Christmas and Thanksgiving are paid. Also, 1/2 days for Good Friday, Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Per our contract, we get 6 personal days, a floating holiday and earn a sick day per month.

For my position, we don't keep track really but I negotiated 4 weeks when I came. That was the amount I was receiving at my previous employer (I was recruited). Other colleagues with less experience get 2 weeks. We don't have a set policy except for office staff.

Thankfully my job is extremely flexible so I am not forced to tap into my vacation time for things like appointments, personal days, etc. I just shift my schedule around to accommodate those things.

For my position, we don't keep track really but I negotiated 4 weeks when I came. That was the amount I was receiving at my previous employer (I was recruited). Other colleagues with less experience get 2 weeks. We don't have a set policy except for office staff.

Thankfully my job is extremely flexible so I am not forced to tap into my vacation time for things like appointments, personal days, etc. I just shift my schedule around to accommodate those things.

Wow, a flexible employer! In 40 years every employer I have worked for was firm, vacation is not negotiable.

Australian here - as an employer, our staff get 4 weeks paid leave (as well as an extra 17.5% leave loading) and 10 days p.a. personal leave that accrues. After 10yrs service they also get long service leave of 2mths which also keeps accruing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter