How much spending $ for kids?

SweetAlex said:
I think we'll give the kids each $50 and take $50 out of their savings accounts so $100 each. We did that last time and it was enough to buy themselves each a treat (lollies, etc), a shirt, a stuffy and one small trinket.

With the 100 my kids brought, these are the same things they bought!

I think $100 each is a good amount. Enough for 1-2 big things or lots of small things. For our kids I usually allow them to get 1 special thing (e.g princess dress, big toy) and 2 smaller things (t-shirt, small toy) and it works out to about the $100 limit. Treats, we share those as a family.

I guess I should also say that they get to pick out one $20-or-under item, but I'm also getting them some fun little toys and things, plus 2 new t-shirts and hoodies at MUCH lower prices before we go. It will all be new to them. :)

Jaina, I think that's a great idea. I've already bought our girls new Minnie Mouse pajamas ( Target had them on sale a couple weeks before Christmas) and some Disney socks from Little Miss Matched.

And lanyards with some pins to trade from eBay...

And autograph books I bought on Etsy...:yay:

My son has some behavioral issues so he's going to have to "earn" his Disney dollars by being on his best behavior while we're there. I have 8 - $25 gift cards -- one for each day. If he behaves appropriately (we have a specific set of guidelines set out), he'll get a card for the next day, which he can save or spend. If he misbehaves, I get to keep it, my "reward" for having to deal with him. No judgment please; this is the system we use at home for his allowance after much trial and error and have found it's the most effective system of keeping him in line.[/QUOTE

Excellent idea! I work in Mental Health with children and wish every parent understood the importance of rewarding and setting guidelines! You are doing a great job!

We're not real big souvenir shoppers but I budgeted $50-$70 for each kid in case they see something they'd really NEED.

On our last trip, the kids each chose to get a hoodie and a stuffed animal. Dh and I also got hoodies. The hoodies ranged from $39.95 to $69.95. Both the stuffed animals were around $20 (smallish ones). The only other random souvenirs we got were the Cozy Cone drink things but honestly, they're a pain in the butt. The novelty of them quickly wore off and they take up a LOT of space in my kitchen cabinet! I like the sweatshirts because they are functional, and it doesn't hurt that I love hoodies, too!

I feel like a cheapskate. Our kids can each spend $25 on souvenirs (before tax), and we usually make them wait until the last day to pick it out. I guess I figure going to Disney for 3 days every year is treat enough, they don't need any more junk! :goodvibes

NewbieMouse said:
I feel like a cheapskate. Our kids can each spend $25 on souvenirs (before tax), and we usually make them wait until the last day to pick it out. I guess I figure going to Disney for 3 days every year is treat enough, they donlt need any more junk! :goodvibes

I totally agree -- on our last trip we really tried to impress upon our DS5 that the treat was the experience of being there. We allowed him to pick out a couple of small items, but only at the end of each day, and like I said they had to be small/inexpensive. We will handle things the same way on our next trip.

NewbieMouse said:
I feel like a cheapskate. Our kids can each spend $25 on souvenirs (before tax), and we usually make them wait until the last day to pick it out. I guess I figure going to Disney for 3 days every year is treat enough, they don't need any more junk! :goodvibes

We do something similar (when we buy souvenirs, with APs, we don't every trip). Usually one thing in the $15-$25 range, or a couple of pins. :)

Add me to the "cheapskate" list, though I don't think it's being cheap to limit spending money when they're getting a fabulous vacation.

I give the girls $25 to spend as they wish. Sometimes I buy them a t-shirt or something like that but usually we don't go with spendy souveniers. When they were younger, they loved to head for Build-a-Bear or buy a piece of jewelry. Books, socks, candy--those are some of the favorite choices.

If they want to, they can (and often do) bring some of their own earned money.

With grandkids, I think it's a little different. You're going to indulge them a bit more, most likely. Still, I'm not a big believer in buying kids a lot of stuff but I do understand getting a special sweatshirt or something of that nature and that can easily cost $65 or more.

It also makes a difference if you go fairly often, as we do, as opposed to once or once in a while.

We don't go often so I think that makes a difference on how much they have to spend. Our closest Disney store is an hour away too so it really is a rare treat, to buy real Disney stuff for them.

I highly recommend telling them before you enter the park that they aren't allowed to buy anything the first day. Trust me. The first day, they will want to buy one of everything. After 2 or 3 days, when they've seen everything twice, they are able to make a much more rational decision on how to spend their money. It worked really well for our kids last time.

Oh, something else to consider when shopping for yourself or with your little ones, it helps to ask yourself (or them) "will you wear/use this outside of Disney?". If yes, then it's a great purchase. If you can't picture yourself in that bright pink sweater with a huge picture of Minnie batting her eyes on it to even the grocery store at home... don't do it! We had a hard time finding "subtle" Disney clothes last time. Clothes that are tasteful and Disney but aren't overwhelming. Maybe this time around will be different.

Happy Shopping!

I've bought quite a few of what will be his souvenirs ahead of time (he's four, so he'll be excited regardless of where they come from), and we're doing a reward system to allow him to earn his own spending money that he can spend however he wants (even if I think whatever he is buying is ridiculous lol). He gets a certain number of stickers (I stocked up on various Disney stickers) for doing things that he has been working on; sleeping in his big boy bed all night, keeping his room clean, eating his dinner all gone, etc. are things that earn him a sticker or two. Each sticker is worth ten cents; ten equal a dollar. So far he's earned $4. I predict that it will end up being around $15 by the time the trip comes around. It's not much, but if we tell him he can spend it on the last day that we're there, he can spend the days before that, checking out all of stores and deciding what he really wants to get.

I also plan to buy him certain things that are gimme souvenirs for us (things we get each time we go; a Disney mug, mouse ears - especially since his last pair melted in the car in the Las Vegas heat, a t-shirt, etc.).

My son has some behavioral issues so he's going to have to "earn" his Disney dollars by being on his best behavior while we're there. I have 8 - $25 gift cards -- one for each day. If he behaves appropriately (we have a specific set of guidelines set out), he'll get a card for the next day, which he can save or spend. If he misbehaves, I get to keep it, my "reward" for having to deal with him. No judgment please; this is the system we use at home for his allowance after much trial and error and have found it's the most effective system of keeping him in line.

I told my sister about this idea! It is perfect for my nephew! Thank you for sharing! :goodvibes

I think we'll budget about $100 per kid for the trip. Disney is a BIG DEAL trip for us, and I think souvenirs are important. So, we'll buy them each:

1. Hat/mouse ears
2. T-Shirt
3. Stuffed toy
4. One other toy
5. Possibly a key chain, or something else that's more frivolous

We may give them their own $20 for #5. I doubt we'll make them use their own money because everyone except for ds#1 (as he recently bought his) is saving for a new ipod. They have to save $x and we'll kick in the rest for their birthday. So, I don't want to derail the awesome savings that's happening at our house right now, and we're only telling them about the trip a couple of weeks in advance, so they won't have time to plan their savings.

We usually say no to special drink cups (those Cozy Cone cups will be a big no go from me - too big & awkward). Maybe we'll say yes to souvenir popcorn pails, but even then, we have to remember anything we buy will have to come home on the plane, and as of right now I'm not planning on checking any luggage.

My kids are 7 and 9 and they earn their own money throughout the year. I do this for a few reasons.

1. It gives them experience on saving money for something that is important to them. (They are allowed to spend the money when they get it, it isn't a forced savings).

2. They only get the items they truly want! If its mom and dad's money they aren't learning the value of their money.

3. Its an education thing. If Tommy (7) starts out with $65.09 and his total is $12.77 which bills and coins does he use to pay? If Makenna (9) has 78.00 and she wants 3 vinylmations at 9.99 each (or however much they are now) how much does she need.

I take my kiddos out of school for the week we go so I use whatever I can to make it educational (oh plus the 37 pages of homework we got last year :))

We have 5 weeks or so left. My 9yo is up to $64 and some change and my 7yo is up to about $50.

We don't give our children any money. They will be 9 and 7 when we go to Disneyland at the end of February.

Minnie Mouse visits our hotel room each night while they are sleeping and leaves them each a tiny gift--and I am talking *tiny*! Usually those gifts are around $5 and sometimes they are only $1. We avoid all shops during our trip until the last day--and quickly scoot out of the shops when a ride dumps you out into one. The tiny gifts from Minnie make the kiddos very happy and they don't even ask for anything during the trip.

On the last day we go into a shop or two. We used to get Potato Head parts, but that isn't an option any more. We always get one magnet as a family tradition. Each child gets a small stuffed animal (huge treat in our house because I abhor stuffed animals!). We also have silhouettes done.

That is it for stuff we bring back from Disneyland. Except for our last trip--on that trip my little boy (who was then 4.5) had seen a lot of little boys with light up spinning Buzz Lightyear toys and he REALLY wanted one. He saw one at a stand outside a bathroom and asked how much it was and I told him. He thought about it for two days and on the last day he asked to buy it with his own money. I was shocked--the child has NEVER asked to spend a dime of his money. Well, he bought that Buzz toy and still loves it. And it still is the only thing he has *ever* spent his money on. He is very tight-fisted! LOL!

For us it depends on how long we stay. If we go for 3 days we will give them around $100 each. If we go for a week like we are doing this June they will get $200. We buy all their food and snacks they want so the money goes strictly for souvenirs. The only stipulation is they buy one shirt and a new set of ears each trip.

Usually I spend crazy on wife and son on past trips, but now I have 2 and a girl on the way, so spending that way isn't possible anymore. I always joke with my wife that I haven't gotten a shirt at Disney since 2003

We have never set a dollar value for souvenirs but we do help to guide the choices our DD makes. We will buy small items through out the trip and wait until the last day for major purchases. This way she has time to see everything and not make impulsive purchases. This year we may have to set some limits on spending since we are not staying as long as usual. I like the Disney Gift Card idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter