How much water to pack-recommendations?

It should be two carryons per ticketed seat. Each person should not be required to carry their own. My wife needs a hip replacement and currently uses a wheelchair for longer distances or a cane for short ones. I am the one doing all the carrying, both hers and mine. I don't know why you would say that a baby wouldn't have any carryon allowance just because they are physically unable to do the actual carrying.

Does the same logic apply to your beer/wine allowance for DCL? Does each person need to carry their own 2 bottles of wine or 6 pack of beer?

I am just saying what American out of LGA was requiring yesterday.

Well I hope they were supplying free diapers to the infant whose bags they checked because he couldn’t carry his own.

Mom kept his diaper bag as one of her two and checked her clothes bags.

Mom kept his diaper bag as one of her two and checked her clothes bags.
On a 12 hour flight I have needed more than one diaper bag of stuff for an infant. I’m pretty sure AA doesn’t actually have a rule saying the 2 allowed bags must be carried on by their owner. The FAs were just being nasty.
I have never carried on more than 3 bags but it doesn’t take me any longer than 2 bags. What takes longer is the infant, the car seat, strapping the kid in, etc. The bags? Throw one in overhead, 2 under seat. Bam. Done.

On a 12 hour flight I have needed more than one diaper bag of stuff for an infant. I’m pretty sure AA doesn’t actually have a rule saying the 2 allowed bags must be carried on by their owner. The FAs were just being nasty.
I have never carried on more than 3 bags but it doesn’t take me any longer than 2 bags. What takes longer is the infant, the car seat, strapping the kid in, etc. The bags? Throw one in overhead, 2 under seat. Bam. Done.

Agreed. Babies take a lot of stuff for long flights because heaven forbid you are "that parent" who didn't properly prepare for the trip... Anyways. On our last flight, they were particular about everyone's number of bags because our flight was full and close to maximum weight with the luggage.

Personally, with a baby, I tried to check more stuff because it was enough work to schlep everything through the airport. I tried to stick to an umbrella stroller (that was gate checked), an easily accessible diaper bag, and my "emergency bag," which was placed above with extra clothes, snacks, bottles/forumula, etc.

None, we take our tervis tumblers and use them for coffee, tea, cokes, water, etc. The water tastes good on board. Just remember to bring some dish soap.

Also, isn't she quite elderly? You can't expect an 80 year old to be carrying a 24 pack of water on board.

OP - you can buy water on board. It's not cheap, but say you bring a 6-pack on board and buy a 6-pack for your MIL. Just don't tell her, if you think the $10 will be an issue. Or, even better, order it to be in her cabin. She doesn't have to know the cost then:
View attachment 382910
This works really well to order ahead of time, shows up in your room. Then if you need more, they will sell you more.

This. I would totally enact the “you want it, you carry it” rule. Even when I was little, our family rule was “You bring/want it, you carry it.”

(On a side note, I was very happy to see American Airlines not only enforcing the 2 bags per person thing (strictly, in fact) this morning, but they ensured that each person was handling their bags. No more mom baby wearing and carrying 4 bags because “it is 2 per person”. Wish more airlines would stick to that.)

Usually I see eye to eye with you but here we’ll agree to disagree. Sure my 7 year old can carry his own crap onto the airplane - and bonk half the people he walks by - not from spite but because he’s 7 and not always aware of the space he takes up in the world. So sometimes I grab his bag from him as we board.

Just TRY to take that from me and see how it goes.

And when he was even smaller but with a paid seat? We were each legally entitled to a carry on and a personal item. Those are th terms of the ticket (at least on Southwest at the time, Porter airlines now, etc.).

My family of 6, including MIL, is doing a 7 nt WC. Do y’all bring bottled water on excursions? Onboard?

I haven’t brought in the past, but my MIL wants some. If she has, then DH and kids will want some too. But, I want to limit how much I have to pack.

Thanks for sharing your insights!

We also have an older family member who constantly carries a plastic bottle of water. :)

As others have mentioned - you can bring water but then you have to carry it around with you on embarkation day until her stateroom is ready. I agree with PPs that ordering water to just be there in her stateroom is the easiest way to go. They also have folks selling drink packages on embarkation day.

Sure it will cost a few more bucks than bringing your own, but you already dropped a chunk on a Disney Cruise. Hopefully the water won’t be the straw that broke the credit cards back! I would rather fork over an extra $10 any day of the week than carry a case of water around with me on vacation.

My family of 6, including MIL, is doing a 7 nt WC. Do y’all bring bottled water on excursions? Onboard?

I haven’t brought in the past, but my MIL wants some. If she has, then DH and kids will want some too. But, I want to limit how much I have to pack.

Thanks for sharing your insights!
We have never taken/bought water. The water onboard is perfectly fine. I have seen many people bring their own water bottles and fill them up before excursions, etc. If your MIL definitely wants bottles of water the water packages sold onboard are a little pricey but would save you having to pack and carry. There is also a nice cooler bag/water bottle combo that is under $30. It was being sold when we got off the ship on CC and had ice so the water was cold. The cooler bag is very nice and I believe there are maybe 6 bottles of water included.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter