how to send a lump sum?

Im an the process of buying and was Wondering can you pay buy debit card?
i have got the money in my account so its only a mater of gettin the details from Disney.

belive you can,but was looking at travelex ext to get best rate for them,just go to there site i they will give you a quote
Paulh

apologies if i am being really thick, here, but why not use a visa debit card??

I dont own a CC ( did, but a long story!) and on our recent trip to Florida we just used our Debit cards to make purchases etc, i use the same card to pay my maintenance fees at Vistana Resort ( looking to sell so we can buy into DVC) and have never had a problem.

If the people in question have the "cash" why not just pay from a UK current account rather than talking about pre loading CC's?:confused:

apologies if i am being really thick, here, but why not use a visa debit card??

I dont own a CC ( did, but a long story!) and on our recent trip to Florida we just used our Debit cards to make purchases etc, i use the same card to pay my maintenance fees at Vistana Resort ( looking to sell so we can buy into DVC) and have never had a problem.

If the people in question have the "cash" why not just pay from a UK current account rather than talking about pre loading CC's?:confused:

As far as I know you could use a debit card. There were 3 reasons I used a credit card though:

1. The interest free period meant I didn't actually have to "pay" for it until a month or so later
2. I got a couple of cents better exchange rate, which was quite nice on a purchase of $13,000 (YMMV but this was the case for my CC vs my debit card)
3. I got loyalty / reward points for my purchase which equalled approx £320.

It was a no brainer for me, to be honest.

Miffy, the original post to (me anyway), implies that the people in question either dont have a CC, there credit limit would not support the cost, or there is not enough time to apply for one, hence why they were asking about alternative ways to pay.

CC's, as you rightly say do offer incentives / better exchange rate etc, and this is generally the prefered way of paying, but, if you are unable to use a CC for whatever reason, then a debit card is a convinent and easy way of paying, and with minimal cost.

I too would say pay by credit card - the rate you get will be better than the others listed above. The choice is which credit card(s). If you shop at Tescos, drink wine, and like BA, I would recommend getting 2 BA Premium Plus Amex cards. You could earn a couple of Companion Vouchers and a shedload of BA miles.

Miffy, the original post to (me anyway), implies that the people in question either dont have a CC, there credit limit would not support the cost, or there is not enough time to apply for one, hence why they were asking about alternative ways to pay.

For people that don't have a Credit Card sure, it wouldn't be an option; but if their credit limit wouldn't support the cost then that was why they were preloading it :)

I agree the original post did make that implication, but the thread had moved on, so I was answering the question I inferred had been asked ;)

Sorry whats ROFR?

paulrae ROFR stands for Disney Right Of First Refusal, for anyone buying through resale, once a price has been agreed with a seller the contract has to be run by Disney, if they think the price is too low or for any other reason they will exercise ROFR and take the contract themselves. Seller stills get the agreed price but the would be buyer has to start looking for another. Hope this helps, if you look on the American DVC site and click on The Timeshare Store you can get a list of faqs there.

Just to clayfiy a few things
They do have CC but not a nationwide so would get charged 2.95% so extra cost would be about £337
If you use a debit card same rate as tourist would apply
they have now got a nationwide CC or a post office one,there loading it up with cash then paying off full amount
Paulh

A lot of people don't realize that their own banks offer a much better exchange rate for transfers that are over a certain amount ( usually GBP 10k ) . Generally there would be a one off transfer fee ( usually less than GBP30 ) to wire the money. If you don't ASK for the preferential exchange rates, they'll happily give you a worse one if they think you'll accept it.

Call your bank and ask which department deals with transfers of larger amounts for premium customers. Sometimes it is their treasury department, sometimes they call it premium clients. If you're exchanging over 10k you're usually considered a premium customer (even if their threshhold is higher than that, if you sound like you expect to be treated as a premium customer, they'll treat you like one).

ASK for special exchange rates for larger transactions before just accepting a standard rate. I used to ask what their two way price was ( where they'd buy and where they'd sell $ ). You'll get a much closer spread than they usually quote.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter