How to Start the Annual Pass?

Ah ok. So you can probably answer this. If I activate and use my ap on 2/1/18, does it expire on 2/1/19 or at the end of 2/19.
If you activate a new AP on 2/1/2018, it will expire at the end of day on 2/1/2019.

Nothing beats having a WDW AP!

Last edited:
So I've already received my MBs and I purchased Platinum Annual passes back in October. I will need to show a confirmation number to enter the parks? I was under the impression they were loaded on my MBs and ready to go. Wrong?

So I've already received my MBs and
I purchased Platinum Annual passes back in October.
1. I will need to show a confirmation number to enter the parks?
2. I was under the impression they were loaded on my MBs and ready to go. Wrong?
1. You must first go to any ticket booth or Guest Relations and "activate" your AP before you can enter a park gate.
2. Nope. That's only true of regular tickets.
What you purchased (and is in your MDX account) is an "AP Certificate" (sometimes called an AP voucher.)
The actual AP must be activated in-person at any ticket booth or Guest Relations.
Make sure before you leave the booth that the CM gives you your "AP Card" and that the
AP's expiration date is the same date that you activate it, but just one year later.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you be able to pick up your AP MBs on your next trip?

Yeah, but we're activating the passes in May, next trip is October. Although if the MBs aren't any different than the resort stay ones, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Yeah, but we're activating the passes in May, next trip is October. Although if the MBs aren't any different than the resort stay ones, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

They are virtually the same.
My point is that nobody gets their AP MB during their first trip.
And, you don't need them until you get to WDW to use them on the next trip, anyway.

Just to take it one step farther for clarity, it does not matter if you actually USE your AP on 2/1/18...

If you ACTIVATE the AP (at a ticket booth or Guest Relations) on 2/1/18, that AP will be valid and available for use on that date and through the end of the day on 2/1/19.
(So, it doesn't matter if you USE the AP on a given date, it only matters if you ACTIVATE it on that date for the AP to start "counting down.")

This actually changed very recently! APs now expire one year from date of first use, even if activated at the ticket window on a previous day.

The activation process at the ticket booths is unchanged, though, aside from the fact that CMs no longer have to manually enter expiration dates except in very specific circumstances. (So people still can't "accidentally" activate an AP just by going through the gate - they've still gotta come see us first.)

This actually changed very recently! APs now expire one year from date of first use, even if activated at the ticket window on a previous day.
That begs the question of how long between activation and first use will be allowed.
Can you activate on, say, Feb. 16, 2018 and not go through a park gate (and start the year of AP use) until, say, July 25, 2018?

That begs the question of how long between activation and first use will be allowed.
Can you activate on, say, Feb. 16, 2018 and not go through a park gate (and start the year of AP use) until, say, July 25, 2018?

I have yet to encounter any information that addresses that question.

Reading through all this has confused me as I thought I understood the process. My husband and I bought platinum plus APs during the DVC promotion, in person at Guest Relations in Disney Springs when we were there December 2017. We very specifically told them we didn't want to activate them during that trip (only doing MVMCP) but wanted to activate them when we arrive in April. They assured us that was no problem. I have no confirmation email or anything like that, it automatically showed up in MDE, he gave me the AP cards as well. Now when I go into MDE I can see the annual passes, and the expiry on them is December 2030 so I can see that the "countdown" hasn't started yet. In addition, it gives me the ability to customize my AP magic bands right now, even though we haven't started using it. My impression based on what the CM at Guest Relations told me is that we are essentially all set up and just need to enter the parks and that will "activate" the AP for us. So, is this actually correct or will I need to stop buy the ticket booth or guest relations first? Also, will the AP magic bands not ship until after I first use the AP even though it's giving me the prompt to customize them now? We will have magic bands from our resort stay in April anyway, so this isn't a huge deal, I'm just curious.

The only difference is that you should get an "Annual Passholder" slider for your band.
My son lost a special Star Wars MB we bought him last trip, so we will be using the sliders as an extra layer of protection to hopefully prevent the bands from unsnapping and falling off.

Reading through all this has confused me as I thought I understood the process. My husband and I bought platinum plus APs during the DVC promotion, in person at Guest Relations in Disney Springs when we were there December 2017. We very specifically told them we didn't want to activate them during that trip (only doing MVMCP) but wanted to activate them when we arrive in April. They assured us that was no problem. I have no confirmation email or anything like that, it automatically showed up in MDE, he gave me the AP cards as well. Now when I go into MDE I can see the annual passes, and the expiry on them is December 2030 so I can see that the "countdown" hasn't started yet. In addition, it gives me the ability to customize my AP magic bands right now, even though we haven't started using it.

2. My impression based on what the CM at Guest Relations told me is that we are essentially all set up and just need to enter the parks and that will "activate" the AP for us. So, is this actually correct or will I need to stop buy the ticket booth or guest relations first?
3. Also, will the AP magic bands not ship until after I first use the AP even though it's giving me the prompt to customize them now?
4. We will have magic bands from our resort stay in April anyway, so this isn't a huge deal, I'm just curious.

1. OK.
2. Maybe. Likely. You can certainly try.
3. Customize them now. See if they ship. (They should.)
4. OK.

Nikki, can you please post back with a report on how this worked for you?

Rats. That's really inconvenient. We pay the same price for APs, we should get the same benefits.

I agree... but electronics are already restricted imports and because of the close and medium-range transmitters contained inside the MB, the process to send them across the border is either prohibitively complicated, expensive, or maybe even impossible. If you live near the border, you can ship them to a mailbox within the US and pick them up before your trip.

For any will call tickets, AP or otherwise, the CM is supposed to ask for the confirmation number, the ID of the purchaser, and the credit card used to purchase. All of this is for validation to prevent fraud. (The credit card can be omitted for third-party purchases.) Obviously, not all CMs do everything by the book, but they're supposed to.

For APs specifically, ID for all adults 18+ is needed, and proof of Florida residency or DVC membership if applicable to the pass type.

If you have MagicBands, bring them along as well, but if you don't, it's no big deal.

Any ticket window at any park can handle it. Guest Relations can as well, but there's no need to go to them unless there's some special situation to be dealt with.

I bought some APs when the prices started getting so high, like 2009-2011. I still have the envelopes the vouchers came in, but sure don't know what credit card I used----may not even have that credit card anymore. Will that be a problem when I go to activate them in the future, like 2025? I bought a DVC Premium AP with a gift card, that must be activated by 12/31/2018, so that is the next one I plan to activate. Do I need to bring that gift card with me too? What if I bring the wrong one?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

I bought some APs when the prices started getting so high, like 2009-2011. I still have the envelopes the vouchers came in, but sure don't know what credit card I used----may not even have that credit card anymore. Will that be a problem when I go to activate them in the future, like 2025? I bought a DVC Premium AP with a gift card, that must be activated by 12/31/2018, so that is the next one I plan to activate. Do I need to bring that gift card with me too? What if I bring the wrong one?
Thanks in advance for your answer.

Don't worry about not having the cards.
The cards are just an additional layer of "security" in case it looks like "someone else"
(other than the actual new owner) is trying to steal an AP.

Nikki, can you please post back with a report on how this worked for you?

I was able to customize the magic bands and they arrived yesterday, complete with the sliders, even though we won't activate it until end of April. Perhaps we stumbled upon a loophole in the process by buying them in person and not activating them yet. Guest relations really seems to have set everything up for us already. My husband agreed with my recall that they told us we just need to go to the tapstiles to activate it so that is our plan and we will see what happens. Hollywood Studios is the first place we'll hit so fingers crossed we don't get bounced over to the ticket booth.

I was able to customize the magic bands and they arrived yesterday, complete with the sliders, even though we won't activate it until end of April. Perhaps we stumbled upon a loophole in the process by buying them in person and not activating them yet. Guest relations really seems to have set everything up for us already. My husband agreed with my recall that they told us we just need to go to the tapstiles to activate it so that is our plan and we will see what happens. Hollywood Studios is the first place we'll hit so fingers crossed we don't get bounced over to the ticket booth.

I didn’t follow all of the thread above (sorry), but you still need to get actual AP cards, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter