How would you buy in?

Really don’t want this to turn into a direct vs. resale (there are probably 50 threads for that), but it’s important to consider when first buying in.

You have to acknowledge that the benefits landscape of having direct points could easily change significantly in another 10 years. There could be three additional resorts that are restricted by that time, and then the 2042s are about to expire.

Disney will likely walk the line of ensuring resale value stays high and there is enough incentive to buy direct.

Discounts on food / merch isn't that trivial. Especially if you're a larger party. I calculate we'll save between $300-$500 every trip with those discounts. That adds up quickly. Over the lifetime of my contract, that will be $9K-$15K in savings just on food and merch alone.
If you have a single annual pass in your family it is trivial because you didn’t need to buy direct for that. The discounts are nearly identical.

I don't think Disney cares very much about high resale values. Other timeshare developers don't, and they are quite successful.
If they didn’t they would make everything restricted because the only variable would be whether they sold it.

But as I said, this is not a direct/resale thread. The person asked how they should buy in, and part of that equation is that the “direct” benefits could easily change in 10 years time.

“Hold my beer.” —DVD

It’s taking some time (decades) but that appears to be one end game.
I do hope that I'm more valuable to Disney than that. I don't mean valued - I mean valuable in the sense that I'm spending much more money on tickets, dining and occasionally merchandise than the average disillusioned timeshare ex-customer.

I do hope that I'm more valuable to Disney than that. I don't mean valued - I mean valuable in the sense that I'm spending much more money on tickets, dining and occasionally merchandise than the average disillusioned timeshare ex-customer.
The guests that Disney is most interested is the Once In A Lifetime family who approaches a Disney vacation with an open wallet.

If they didn’t they would make everything restricted because the only variable would be whether they sold it.

But as I said, this is not a direct/resale thread. The person asked how they should buy in, and part of that equation is that the “direct” benefits could easily change in 10 years time.

The can’t add restrictions to the current resorts that are sold out for the units that are there…so, right now, the only property that appears to not follow this line is the Poly tower.

However, if they don’t sell deeded interests to it and instead only sell it as part of the trust, then those interests may very well carry restrctions.

Buy, I also do not believe DVD cares about resale value in the sense that they don’t make any moves to keep it up…they let the market decide what happens. If they ROFR, it’s because they have other reasons to take the contracts and if it raises resale value, it’s just a nice coincidence.

If you have a single annual pass in your family it is trivial because you didn’t need to buy direct for that. The discounts are nearly identical.
We never visit long enough in 1 year for an annual pass to make any financial sense. We do 4 or 5 parks days a year, tops. So the DVC discounts are pretty huge.

We never visit long enough in 1 year for an annual pass to make any financial sense. We do 4 or 5 parks days a year, tops. So the DVC discounts are pretty huge.
Could still do annual pass looping on a incredipass for one person to make the average ticket cost be 700 per year and then like you said, saving 1,000 dollars every 2 trips would bring the ticket price down to 400 or 200 per trip, then add in the opportunity cost of the savings but anyways, I digress. I'm glad you find benefit from the perk. My favorite thing about it probably is that as opposed to the annual pass they don't make me show them the expiration date on my DVC 😂. As was said above, plenty of threads talking about resale vs. direct. Over half my points are direct and will probably continue to buy direct but that's more because we want to use our points at RIV.
The guests that Disney is most interested is the Once In A Lifetime family who approaches a Disney vacation with an open wallet.
Yeahhh we saw exactly how valuable we are to Disney during revenge travel season when they shut down AP sales and started nickel and diming us with Genie+. Also the compensation they're providing for bumping people from their 1BRs in Boardwalk to the inn side because they're behind schedule on renovations gives us an idea of how much they think our points are worth. They were giving like 100 dollar credit per night and an inn room as a replacement which is insulting given OTU points go for 20 dollars each.

Last edited:
With 58 million visitors at WDW every year they'd run out of 'once in a lifetime' visitors pretty quickly. Not everyone in the US goes to WDW and there certainly aren't enough international visitors.

Even if they prioritized first time visitors after COVID, they need the regulars for their business model.

valuable in the sense that I'm spending much more money on tickets, dining and occasionally merchandise than the average disillusioned timeshare ex-customer.
Someone will own those points and either stay in the room, rent to another guest, or exchange to another vacation option, opening that room to an inbound exchange guest. Someone will be doing those things.

Most buyers are not thinking about selling so the back end value isn’t material to the buying decision. Most owners have no idea how much or little their timeshare is worth even after they bought it. They only know they use it and like it, and that’s most of the battle.

The can’t add restrictions to the current resorts that are sold out for the units that are there…so, right now, the only property that appears to not follow this line is the Poly tower.

However, if they don’t sell deeded interests to it and instead only sell it as part of the trust, then those interests may very well carry restrctions.

Buy, I also do not believe DVD cares about resale value in the sense that they don’t make any moves to keep it up…they let the market decide what happens. If they ROFR, it’s because they have other reasons to take the contracts and if it raises resale value, it’s just a nice coincidence.

For clarity, I meant that there could be three additional new properties that could carry restrictions plus whatever they decide to do with the 2042 resorts. My point being that it could become more restrictive to not have direct benefits. Or maybe it doesn’t become more restrictive. Just something for the OP to consider.

Someone will own those points and either stay in the room, rent to another guest, or exchange to another vacation option, opening that room to an inbound exchange guest. Someone will be doing those things.
Yes, but Disney is more than just the timeshare. So it's not just about who pays the dues next year. Burning customers is more expensive for Disney than it is for Wyndham or Marriott. Their incentives and brand protection are somewhat different. I don't think it's just coincidence that DVC is not quite your average timeshare.

“Hold my beer.” —DVD

It’s taking some time (decades) but that appears to be one end game.

Since this has now devolved (shame on me I suppose), my point was that if they truly didn’t care about what happened after the sale, they would make everything restricted.

Whether it is because they want to protect the brand, they think higher resale value is good for direct sales, or they they just don’t want the headache of pissed off customers, there is a reason they’re walking the line on restrictions. Otherwise restricting it so severely that no one bought resale would occur.

With 58 million visitors at WDW every year they'd run out of 'once in a lifetime' visitors pretty quickly. Not everyone in the US goes to WDW and there certainly aren't enough international visitors.

Even if they prioritized first time visitors after COVID, they need the regulars for their business model.
Once in a lifetime families are created every year. As for your 58 million estimate, I believe that is over all WDW theme parks. That is not a count of individual visitors.

Once in a lifetime families are created every year. As for your 58 million estimate, I believe that is over all WDW theme parks. That is not a count of individual visitors.
If course it's not individual visitors. That would be 18% of the US population. But it's still far too many visitors than could be recruited from new, once in your lifetime, Americans. Returning visitors are an important part of the equation.

Agreed, the only real justification for buying direct is caring about being able to book VDH or Riviera. Annual passes as well if you make at least 2+ trips a year. Everything else like Moonlight Magic, discounts on food/merch and lounges is trivial.
Well, you don’t have to be a DVC member to purchase an AP (you can get the Premium or whatever they call it now). Also, there aren’t anymore DVC discounts on AP’s like there used to be.

When do you plan to vacation? And will you always be able to book in the home priority window or will it be closer in? If not in the 11-7 month window then home resort doesn't matter.

As a tip - you can buy just 1 AP and get the discount. Not everyone has to have one for that.

And the lounges? It's a nice perk but absolutely not special enough to be a justification for buying direct and paying thousands more.
We’re pretty flexible. I’m a teacher and my wife owns her own business so she can essentially do as she pleases. It will likely be during school breaks and over the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter