How would you do both Yosemite and Disneyland?

Lucky'sMom

DIS Veteran
I am in the VERY early stages of hopefully planning a late June/early July trip to California. DL would be the main attraction, but I also want to do the Warner Bros. tour, an LA tour and spend a day at a beach (Huntington?). DH mentioned visiting the Grand Canyon, but that's at least an 8 hour drive. I was looking into Yosemite, but I guess that's at least 6-7 hours away. If you were going to do both the Anaheim area and Yosemite, how would plan it? Would you fly into somewhere more northern, like San Francisco and then fly out of Orange County airport? Or would you fly into and out of the LA area and drive up to Yosemite for a couple of nights? I'm not sure if hitting both is really doable, but we'd like the kids to see a National Park, if possible. Thanks for any thoughts. :)

How long do you have for the trip?

We did this a few summer's ago. We did the complete circle road trip. We flew into LAX and then drove up the coast (hwy 1, PCH) and hit Monterey, SF, Yosemite, and then down to Disneyland. A lot of driving and a lot of fun.

We are headed back this year and are thinking of driving long distance this time. We usually fly so this is a big deal for us.

Yosemite needs 2-3 days to fully enjoy. Also this late in the season the waterfalls will be pretty dried up.

Yosemite is Heaven on Earth.

Feel free to ask any questions.

I'm kind of short on logistical recommendations since I live in California and wouldn't normally think of such things since logistics are dictated by where I live. However, Yosemite is my favorite place in the world, and I think I could be of some help with locations to visit within Yosemite once your traveling plans are solid.

I guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend. Cheapest is probably flying into LAX and driving to Yosemite with a rental car. Easiest (and most expensive) would be doing an open jaw PA to LAX to Fresno.

I'll be using Southwest points for 4 of the 6 people's flights. Thanks for the replies so far!

Even flying into san fransico or sacramento it is still a drive to Yosemite. It is a very windy road. But it is a little easier than driving from southern california

Even flying into san fransico or sacramento it is still a drive to Yosemite. It is a very windy road. But it is a little easier than driving from southern california

Fresno is the closest large airport. However, Fresno is apparently the most populous city in the US that isn't served by Southwest.

We are doing this in August!

Flying into Oakland (SWA) for 2 nights in SF
Drive to Yosemite for 3 nights
Drive to Anaheim for 5 nights at VGC
Fly out of LAX or SNA

My issue now is finding a one way car rental. I know it's still 7 months away, but prices are at $1000!!! That's insane.

Also- I was told it would be 4 hrs roughly from SF to Yosemite and then 6 hrs from Yosemite to DL.

We are doing this in August! Flying into Oakland (SWA) for 2 nights in SF Drive to Yosemite for 3 nights Drive to Anaheim for 5 nights at VGC Fly out of LAX or SNA My issue now is finding a one way car rental. I know it's still 7 months away, but prices are at $1000!!! That's insane.

Are you Costco Members? If so go to Costcotravel.com.

You can find a cheap price then reserve. No payment required.
Check back once a week to see if price has gone down and rebook, then just cancel original reservation.
They have ALL the companies.

We are. That's where I got my quote last week. Maybe I need to look again.

Still at $1000. Crazy!

It's 6 hours from DL to the entrance of Yosemite. Then you have another 45 minutes to get to the valley, which is where most of the tourists go. I would use 7 hours for driving time from the LA area to Yosemite, and consider anything less to be a bonus. If you leave LA during rush hour you will need to add to your driving time.

It's 6 hours from DL to the entrance of Yosemite. Then you have another 45 minutes to get to the valley, which is where most of the tourists go. I would use 7 hours for driving time from the LA area to Yosemite, and consider anything less to be a bonus. If you leave LA during rush hour you will need to add to your driving time.

We will be leaving from Mariposa Grove on a Sunday morning, which is why I was thinking 5/6 hours to DL. Does that sound reslistic? No traffic on Sundays and we will be on the South end of the park already.

We will be leaving from Mariposa Grove on a Sunday morning, which is why I was thinking 5/6 hours to DL. Does that sound reslistic? No traffic on Sundays and we will be on the South end of the park already.

Google Maps is estimating almost 6 hours with no traffic. Strangely I'm getting 5-1/2 hours with current traffic, but who knows what that means. I wouldn't count on getting there in 6 hours. You're going to need a break somewhere for gas/food/bathroom. Even midday or weekends there can be unpredictable traffic - especially if there's an accident. I was delayed around Tejon Pass once when there was a large brush fire. I've arrived on a weekend evening and encountered bumper to bumper traffic on I-5. Southern California traffic defies all that is normal about traffic patterns. You could conceivably get stuck in traffic on CA-99 in Fresno or Bakersfield. Even if everything goes well, I'd guess with a brief stop along the way you're looking at 6-1/2 hours.

My advice would just be to budget extra time. Come in with the attitude that being late 2-3 hours is OK, and be pleasantly surprised if you arrive earlier.

Thanks! It's just our travel day, so not really too worried. But the less time in the car, the better. :goodvibes

We are from Houston and have horrible traffic here too. But typically Sundays are okay.

What an awesome idea...why haven't I thought of this? We are tentatively planning a Yosemite trip (2016, so just in the "talking" phase) and I hadn't even considered adding in DL! I've never been...what a great idea. Thanks!

Similar to KCMike, we are doing this as a massive road trip from St. Louis in June.

Driving to San Francisco via Hwy 80.
4 Nights in San Francisco (east of the bay, in Hayward)
2 Nights in Yosemite (Curry Village - rooms already booked)
5 Nights Anaheim (TBD - probably Candy Cane Inn)
1 Night Grand Canyon
Driving back to St. Louis via Hwy 40/44

We don't have all the details worked out but some highlights are:
San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge; Disney Family Museum; Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39/Ride the Cable Cars; Japantown and Chinatown; Muir beach/woods; Sonoma; etc.

Yosemite: We'll only have 1.5 days here :( Probably spend most of it in the Valley. Hopefully, enough time to squeeze in a drive up to Glacier Point. Maybe see the Mariposa Grove on the way out.

LA/Anaheim: Leaving Yosemite very early on a Sunday morning so that we can visit Walt's Barn in Griffith Park. (As it's only open once a month, we timed the whole trip around this.); And then 1 day each at Disneyland and California Adventure; 2 days exploring LA. (Or 1 day exploring and a 3rd day at Disneyland.)

Leaving Anaheim early on our departure day, for a quick one night pit stop at the Grand Canyon south rim (room is already booked). Probably just enough to explore for a couple hours and see the sunset.

Similar to KCMike, we are doing this as a massive road trip from St. Louis in June.

Driving to San Francisco via Hwy 80.
4 Nights in San Francisco (east of the bay, in Hayward)
2 Nights in Yosemite (Curry Village - rooms already booked)
5 Nights Anaheim (TBD - probably Candy Cane Inn)
1 Night Grand Canyon
Driving back to St. Louis via Hwy 40/44

You're doing the first two stops backwards, costing you a bunch of travel time. When driving west on I-80 through Reno, you'll be within 2 hours of the eastern entrance of Yosemite at Lee Vining. Though, even better, I'd leave I-80 at Wendover UT and take US 93 and 6 to the White Mountains and then Mammoth before hitting Lee Vining and Mono Lake. Best of all, you'll get to traverse Yosemite High Country, something that most tourists completely miss when visiting Yosemite. Tuolumne Meadows in the high country is a great stop. And the best don't-miss stop is Olmsted Point, which has tremendous views down Tenaya Canyon all the way to Yosemite Valley. You really should reverse the order of your visit, and hit Yosemite first. Besides, then when travelling from SF to Anaheim, you can go down Highway 1 past Big Sur. Best, most scenic drive in North America. Make sure you stop at Pfeiffer Beach, and/or have lunch at Nepenthe's.

HTH,
Bob

You're doing the first two stops backwards, costing you a bunch of travel time. When driving west on I-80 through Reno, you'll be within 2 hours of the eastern entrance of Yosemite at Lee Vining. Though, even better, I'd leave I-80 at Wendover UT and take US 93 and 6 to the White Mountains and then Mammoth before hitting Lee Vining and Mono Lake. Best of all, you'll get to traverse Yosemite High Country, something that most tourists completely miss when visiting Yosemite. Tuolumne Meadows in the high country is a great stop. And the best don't-miss stop is Olmsted Point, which has tremendous views down Tenaya Canyon all the way to Yosemite Valley. You really should reverse the order of your visit, and hit Yosemite first. Besides, then when travelling from SF to Anaheim, you can go down Highway 1 past Big Sur. Best, most scenic drive in North America. Make sure you stop at Pfeiffer Beach, and/or have lunch at Nepenthe's.

HTH,
Bob

Tioga Pass isn't always open by June, or whatever date in June is targeted. It will be this year with the lack of snow, but I wouldn't necessarily plan a trip around it. I have been to Yosemite during June in a year when Tioga Pass opened pretty early, and the waterfalls in Yosemite Valley were pretty sad, although Vernal Fall looked pretty nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!